[REMOVE ADS]

Bettye Wright "My First Time Around"

Currently listening to this excellent lp by this excellent singer-songwriter and wondering why so little interest ...

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Currently listening to this excellent lp by this excellent singer-songwriter and wondering why so little interest ...
    It is indeed a great mystery. I have been appreciating Betty's wonderful talent for longer than i care to remember, and i agree this is up there with her very best. You sure do have excellent taste PeaceNHarmony.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It is indeed a great mystery. I have been appreciating Betty's wonderful talent for longer than i care to remember, and i agree this is up there with her very best. You sure do have excellent taste PeaceNHarmony.
    Well thank you BB! That's a nice complement. What I love about revisiting these long-ago titles is hearing the tremendous intelligence and sophistication with which the records were written, played, and sung. In the case of this title I'd assume it was made on a tight budget but absolutely everything about it stands up lo these 50 years later. Just wonderful to re-experience. Surprise me with a re-discovery of your own!

"Girls Can't Do What the Guys Do" was the first 45 by Betty that made it on the National Charts and the first I remember buying. on the Alston label [[Henry Stone T.K.).I think Betty was 15 in 1968 when that hit.My favorites by her are "Secretary" & "Babysitter" but she has quite a few that are great Soul classics .Ofcourse her big hit was "Clean Up Woman".

I love Where Is the Love.

yes, Luke, "Where Is the Love" is great and was a disco hit, but didn't sell that well which really surprised me at the time. You might know that one of the writers & producers of "Where Is The Love" is none other then Harry Wayne Casey who soon after exploded on the charts as KC & the Sunshine Band.

Betty was 12 when she made her first record, Paralyzed, on Deep City label in Miami. It's available to hear on youtube. Her voice is amazing for a 12 year old. She made a lot of good records that did well in regional markets but not so well on national charts. She declined to be interviewed for the wonderful recently issued book Florida Soul.

Quote Originally Posted by rrussi View Post
    Betty was 12 when she made her first record, Paralyzed, on Deep City label in Miami. It's available to hear on youtube. Her voice is amazing for a 12 year old. She made a lot of good records that did well in regional markets but not so well on national charts. She declined to be interviewed for the wonderful recently issued book Florida Soul.
    That's unfortunate, and I wonder why? Wright has been active quite recently, with an LP a little while back and of course work with Joss Stone -