[REMOVE ADS]

A Four Tops Lost Gem!!!

I came upon this great lost gem by the Four Tops today. It sounded so good, I had to listen to it twice! "I Just Can't Get You Out Of My Mind" from the Fall of 1973.............. remember?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I came upon this great lost gem by the Four Tops today. It sounded so good, I had to listen to it twice! "I Just Can't Get You Out Of My Mind" from the Fall of 1973.............. remember?

I wouldn't call it a "lost" gem. I was only playing it a couple of weeks back, but i agree it is indeed a gem.

This is one of my favorite songs of theirs. It should of done better than it did even though it was a decent hit.
    I had no way of knowing you were all mixed up inside/ Baby if we’d only done some talking could of saved your self some walking but I guess they call that pride.
    That says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Encyclopedia Mack View Post
    This is one of my favorite songs of theirs. It should of done better than it did even though it was a decent hit.
    I had no way of knowing you were all mixed up inside/ Baby if we’d only done some talking could of saved your self some walking but I guess they call that pride.
    That says it all.

One of the best of their ABC releases. Didn't chart well. It was the last single off the Main Street People lp and had gotten FM airplay already which may be why it didn't do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I wouldn't call it a "lost" gem. I was only playing it a couple of weeks back, but i agree it is indeed a gem.
    I called it lost because most people in the World were not listening to it or heard it a couple of weeks back. Some have not heard it in decades, others never at all. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Encyclopedia Mack View Post
    That says it all.
    I always liked the part "if this letter doesn't make it clear, it's been a cold and lonely year......". It absolutely ranks up there with any of their early Motown recordings in my opinion.

Every time I hear this, I only think of how well JML would have done at another label - compare this to the crap Motown was doing. Fresh production, current sound, everything The Tops and Supremes deserved.

I like parts arts of this a lot, but the verse lyrics just don’t work and even Levi can’t salvage the awkwardness of the opening. The chorus and middle are wonderful. With a reworking, this could have gone top 5, but The weaknesses of some parts killed it. My guess is that many PDs never played it all the way through to hear it’s merits. Inundated with a new stack of 45s every day, I’m sure once they lose interest, they lift the needle and go to the next reject. So few got added, it has to grab you quickly. I would have thought it would go top 50, but the Tops were toast again and would stay that way except for the blip in 81.
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 05-05-2018 at 10:24 PM.

Main Street People is my favorite Four Tops album. Whatever happened to the folks on Main Street? All they ever wanted to do was sing and dance.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBagley View Post
    Main Street People is my favorite Four Tops album. Whatever happened to the folks on Main Street? All they ever wanted to do was sing and dance.
    It is one of my favorites too Jim. Great concept album.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Every time I hear this, I only think of how well JML would have done at another label - compare this to the crap Motown was doing. Fresh production, current sound, everything The Tops and Supremes deserved.

I like parts arts of this a lot, but the verse lyrics just don’t work and even Levi can’t salvage the awkwardness of the opening. The chorus and middle are wonderful. With a reworking, this could have gone top 5, but The weaknesses of some parts killed it. My guess is that many PDs never played it all the way through to hear it’s merits. Inundated with a new stack of 45s every day, I’m sure once they lose interest, they lift the needle and go to the next reject. So few got added, it has to grab you quickly. I would have thought it would go top 50, but the Tops were toast again and would stay that way except for the blip in 81.
    It worked well as an album track and I've always enjoyed singing along to it. [[Not sure if anyone else has enjoyed me singing along to it, however.)

This is an example of how Steve Barri etc. allowed Levi to really sing instead of strain and shout at the very top of his register. Great stuff.

Funnily, however, when I played it to my wife a short while ago, she didn't "get it" as much as me as she couldn't reconcile the jaunty tempo with the sad and lonely sentiment.

I have a personal Tops 3-track segue consisting of this track followed by "Where Did You Go" and "I Think I Must Be Dreaming". They tell the story of love lost and then regained. The final track was issued as a single in the UK and did absolutely nothing despite being a sunny, optimistic and melodic cracker.

A good one from the tops.