[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Dreamgirl..the book came out around 1986. Diana didn't appear on Oprah until 1993. You mean to tell me that Oprah didn't have Mary on her show for 7 years HOPING she would land a Diana Ross interview? How about something more realistic. It is quite possible that Oprah just doesn't like Mary Wilson. Perhaps Mary, and that book rubbed Oprah the wrong way. Maybe Oprah sees Mary as opportunistic, jealous, and vindictive and wants nothing to do with her.
    Yes that is just what I mean to tell you.

You are likely near point on all that you say - EXCEPT - it is true that Oprah was made to wait even more than the seven years you counted - she had BEGGED ROSS for years to go on her show.

Ross was fearful of open mike questions - and finally Oprah and the shows producers went with her request to take only questions that guest had written on cards, that Ross could chose herself - that first interview was carefully scripted - as this one has been as well.

The beauty of Ross, is she has the talent to make it appear natural, and effortless.

And you are likely right about Oprah not liking Mary Wilson or her books. But to each his own.

The sexy one was quietly taking the notes. Simply a wonderful diary; it was turned into a book that was years in the making. Oprah, sorry the truth tarnished your idealistic vision, as it did for many. I know, the truth does hurt.

I think Oprah is like everyone. She has favorites from her youth days. I like other musical groups but that does not mean i want to talk to every member of those groups. Just the ones a really enjoy. oprah seems to like Diana and knows her viewers do as well.

Dreamgirl..the book came out around 1986. Diana didn't appear on Oprah until 1993. You mean to tell me that Oprah didn't have Mary on her show for 7 years HOPING she would land a Diana Ross interview? How about something more realistic. It is quite possible that Oprah just doesn't like Mary Wilson. Perhaps Mary, and that book rubbed Oprah the wrong way. Maybe Oprah sees Mary as opportunistic, jealous, and vindictive and wants nothing to do with her.
    What y'all are forgetting is that in the Fall of 1986, Phil Donahue had the top daytime talk show in the nation reaching far more viewers than any of his closest competitors. Also in the Fall of 1986, "The Oprah Winfrey Show" went into national syndication. We still did not know who she was at that time other than some fat chick out of Baltimore to be blunt!

Mary's PR people chose "The Phil Donahue Show" as the first national television program for Mary to go on to promote her book. Now, it is MY theory that Oprah may have taken offense that one of her childhood idols would go on the competitors show and not hers first ! Now there was some talk there after about Mary coming on Oprah's show, but something about the planned line of questioning did not sit well with Mary's people. This is what I recall happening.
    Last edited by marv2; 02-16-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Forget y'all [[and I say that politely to ALL OF Y'ALL lol)... I'm gonna see if Oprah books Aretha and I'll be watching Diana just to see if they're gonna talk about Michael [[I doubt it but Oprah has been persistent as of late). This ain't even about the Supremes anymore.

As one long time Forum member recently told me, the way to reinvigorate this forum, to bring back members that left long ago, is to NOT EVEN MOUTH THE WORD "SUPREMES".

Diana might use it, but I bet Oprah wont!

I agree topdiva I will watch being a Diana and Motown fan but there will be no new revelations. The ONLY thing that would make my hair stand on end is if Mary Wilson walked out on stage. I could hear Oprah now "We have a surprise for Diana Ross" and from behind the stage in walks Mary Wilson!!!!

People dont believe that Ross hand picks her questions. Remember when Ross was on Oprah and she asked her was it true that you would put your hands up in front of the other Supremes faces? They cut to a commercial and Diana put her hands up like she was doing it and never answered the question.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    What y'all are forgetting is that in the Fall of 1986, Phil Donahue had the top daytime talk show in the nation reaching far more viewers than any of his closest competitors. Also in the Fall of 1986, "The Oprah Winfrey Show" went into national syndication. We still did not know who she was at that time other than some fat chick out of Baltimore to be blunt!

Mary's PR people chose "The Phil Donahue Show" as the first national television program for Mary to go on to promote her book. Now, it is MY theory that Oprah may have taken offense that one of her childhood idols would go on the competitors show and not hers first ! Now there was some talk there after about Mary coming on Oprah's show, but something about the planned line of questioning did not sit well with Mary's people. This is what I recall happening.

And you recall correct to the letter of the facts.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Forget y'all [[and I say that politely to ALL OF Y'ALL lol)... I'm gonna see if Oprah books Aretha and I'll be watching Diana just to see if they're gonna talk about Michael [[I doubt it but Oprah has been persistent as of late). This ain't even about the Supremes anymore.

Diana Ross does indeed talk about Micheal Jackson - so - stay tuned - but do not expect anything revealing - just heartfelt emotion - as best as Diana can serve it up - and ya know she can. LOL

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    As one long time Forum member recently told me, the way to reinvigorate this forum, to bring back members that left long ago, is to NOT EVEN MOUTH THE WORD "SUPREMES".

I will take that bet - how much!

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    I agree topdiva I will watch being a Diana and Motown fan but there will be no new revelations. The ONLY thing that would make my hair stand on end is if Mary Wilson walked out on stage. I could hear Oprah now "We have a surprise for Diana Ross" and from behind the stage in walks Mary Wilson!!!!

People dont believe that Ross hand picks her questions. Remember when Ross was on Oprah and she asked her was it true that you would put your hands up in front of the other Supremes faces? They cut to a commercial and Diana put her hands up like she was doing it and never answered the question.
    I certainly do remember that. Ross is wise to pick her questions - people today do not have much tack - and Ross is not ready to answer many things.

Your hair will not stand on end - there will be no Mary Wilson - I promise. LOL

I hope this doesn't seem too dumb.

Does the fact that Mary Wilson's camp chose The Phil Donahue Show mean that she is not permitted, allowed or whatever, to go on the Oprah show? And presumably the reverse is also the case...or is it?

Is this about a rivalry between TV stations, the personalities or just these two TV programmes.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post

Does the fact that Mary Wilson's camp chose The Phil Donahue Show mean that she is not permitted, allowed or whatever, to go on the Oprah show? And presumably the reverse is also the case...or is it?

Is this about a rivalry between TV stations, the personalities or just these two TV programmes.

Back then every TV program wanted to be first - the same follows now - However - Oprah is very very pro Diana Ross - and is not interested as much in Mary Wilson. It is highly likely that Oprah who is now a personal friend of her childhood idol Ross - will NEVER interview Mary Wilson - for fear of losing Diana's friendship.

Yes my friends - it is still that petty.

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    Back then every TV program wanted to be first - the same follows now - However - Oprah is very very pro Diana Ross - and is not interested as much in Mary Wilson. It is highly likely that Oprah who is now a personal friend of her childhood idol Ross - will NEVER interview Mary Wilson - for fear of losing Diana's friendship.

Is this your personal opinion Ma'am or do you know this to be factual?

Thank you TopDiva1 for that explanation.

I thought that the US was focussed solely on ratings so it would seem, as you say, very petty for Oprah to pass over an important guest like Mary. Surely the ratings for both ladies are not that worlds apart. Certainly you guys on SD would be watching both!

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post

Diana will offer her heart felt shock over the death of MJ - talk about her new grandchild, her children - her highly successful tour - and the joy of her memories of Motown - even The Supremes. It will be a love fest for Oprah and all of us - she will of course perform - and has done nothing but give you her best - it is more of a Diana Ross upclose show than an Oprah interview.

It will be very well watched and enjoyed - but - nothing new - other than her comfort with herself and concern for the world around her.

Very scripted - but then again - Ross is no fool.

I have to agree with you Topdiva1. Diana knows her craft and she's had plenty of experience at it.

Topdiva, how are you 100% completely sure that Diana's appearance on Oprah has already been taped?

Oprah is a very big Diana fan, but I do not believe for one second that Diana would throw away a friendship or even be hurt if Oprah interviewed Mary. Why should she? Diana does not hate Mary.

Well we don't have long to wait to see it live, taped or whatever and to see if anyone walks out at all...........Berry, Rhonda, the grandchild held by Rhonda, Michael's kids saying they are moving in, 8 Supremes singing Someday We'll Be Together, Rick James & Michael Jackson singing My Favorite Thing leaving us unclear if we are talking about cocaine, propofol or Diana..........

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Topdiva, how are you 100% completely sure that Diana's appearance on Oprah has already been taped?

Oprah is a very big Diana fan, but I do not believe for one second that Diana would throw away a friendship or even be hurt if Oprah interviewed Mary. Why should she? Diana does not hate Mary.

You better re read Diana's Secrets of A Sparrow - start with page 228 to see how she feels about La Diva La Wilson.

miss_lish Guest

Speaking of not mouthing some stuff; you never responded about Elegant Soul and my claim about his racist rants. What should I infer from this lack of a response, jobetrob? If memory serves me well, you were on board when some of this took place??

lol
    This is so funny............... now you guys have me waiting to see what Oprah does.
    Perhaps Barbara or Cindy will be behind curtain number 1 which seems more like "fo real".

miss_lish Guest

It's a case of a bunch of crazed fans making stuff up.

miss_lish Guest
    Thank you TopDiva1 for that explanation.

I thought that the US was focussed solely on ratings so it would seem, as you say, very petty for Oprah to pass over an important guest like Mary. Surely the ratings for both ladies are not that worlds apart. Certainly you guys on SD would be watching both!

LOL! Again, just a bunch of crazed fans making shit up to impress us with their "inside" knowledge based upon .. ?

miss_lish Guest

Tony Turner is all knowing, factual, and clairvoyant, bradsupremes; most Supremes fans are. Do not question, just accept blindly his word as gospel. It's the polite thing to do.

You better re read Diana's Secrets of A Sparrow - start with page 228 to see how she feels about La Diva La Wilson.
    That was 20 years ago. People change.

In regards to the episode, how do you know it was taped and what was said?

Quote Originally Posted by miss_lish View Post
    Tony Turner is all knowing, factual, and clairvoyant, bradsupremes; most Supremes fans are. Do not question, just accept blindly his word as gospel. It's the polite thing to do.
    I know, right? lol

smark21 Guest

In the first couple years of her show, wasn't Oprah concentrating mostly on topics like women bitching about their men or how to lose weight? I don't think her show was about celebrities coming on to promote their books, unless it was a self help book or a book about some sort of physical or substance abuse. Oprah was a pretty trashy show when it first started and she got a reputation for specializing in male bashing, especially bashing Black men. But it worked for her and she quickly went number one.

You are better to ignore her bradsupremes because her tongue is that of a serpent.

As the book of Exodus boldly states.

“You shall not spread a false report. You shall not join hands with a wicked man to be a malicious witness" Alas topdiva does both. May the good Lord forgive her.

Hey Miss Lish..............I remember your comment about Elegant; well..........maybe I should send you a private message; I dont remember what thread you asked it on; it probably got buried in a fight.

I did hear the allegation Elegant was racist; I dont know the details; he wasn't to me; there are people who have posted on here that don't understand racism and it's subtleties; it will annoy some people but I think, for personal reasons, that I have a better understanding of it than many people. If Elegant is racist, I wouldnt approve and that's well known.

So all you should infer from the lack of a response was that the thread either got deleted or I lost track of it.

You and Elegant must know each other because you are in very close proximity to one another.

topdiva1 Guest

No my dear - Tony Turner was at the taping.

Rest darling, rest.

topdiva1 Guest

Tony Turner knows - because Tony Turner was "IN THE HOUSE"! Remember all I have posted from him here - and you will see he is on target with his preview.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist or for someone to have been at the taping to know what the show will be about. I've read the same things from various people on the net about what they think will happen on the show.

If there are any reunions, it will be with Diana And Billy D. Like the recent episode with Barbra Streisand and Robert Redford.

topdiva1 Guest
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist or for someone to have been at the taping to know what the show will be about. I've read the same things from various people on the net about what they think will happen on the show.

"...what they THINK will happen on the show" - that's just it - what they think, not what someone who was there saw. At any rate your idea about Billy Dee - was interesting - well we will soon see.

Nice try, Tony....but I'm not buying it.

This will be the reunion of all reunions. Diane Ross and Tony Turner. Everyone set your DVR's.

Nice try, Tony....but I'm not buying it.
    Nor should you buy it bradsupremes.

As the book of Exodus boldly states. “You shall not spread a false report. You shall not join hands with a wicked man to be a malicious witness"

Alas topdiva does both. May the good Lord forgive her.

Just to play Devil's Advocate for a moment...

I don't know Topdiva, don't know if he/she is Tony Turner or any of that. Perhaps I'm a skeptic from reading posts on Shalamar boards where sworn 'enemies' swear that anyone who disagrees with them is H. Hewett, S. Mills or J. Watley. I don't know whether what has been said here is true. I'll give the benefit of the doubt until it becomes clear that that benefit has outlived its usefulness.

Perhaps it would be more prudent to see how this plays out before labelling anyone a liar. We'll have the answer to this in about a week. If it proves to be that TD is lying, then I know how you guys will handle it & rightfully so. But for now, the cart is being placed before the horse & I think that there's some jumping of the gun here.

But what I want to know is this...

Should the Oprah appearance play out exactly as, or reasonably close to what Topdiva has stated, will anyone here be decent enough to offer an apology to Topdiva?

8 Days & counting...we'll see!
    Last edited by juicefree20; 02-17-2011 at 06:27 PM.

lol. Well if Tony could tell us in advance what Diana sang or wore [[before the previews start airing), then maybe we could see if he was telling the truth when the show finally airs.

Having read this thread I have reasonable doubt whether I would go and actually WATCH the Oprah show on the 25rd. Anyway, who still IS Diana Ross to me, more than that skinny girl with BIG eyes whom I was smitten with when I was 15 years old, in 1964 ?

The 24th. is my 62nd birthday, you know, and I will need at least 24 hours to come back out of the happy frenzy of entertaining all my guests the day before.
    So maybe this time I will call it a miss... and stay in good health.

Quote Originally Posted by robbert View Post
    Having read this thread I have reasonable doubt whether I would go and actually WATCH the Oprah show on the 25rd. Anyway, who still IS Diana Ross to me, more than that skinny girl with BIG eyes whom I was smitten with when I was 15 years old, in 1964 ?

The 24th. is my 62nd birthday, you know, and I will need at least 24 hours to come back out of the happy frenzy of entertaining all my guests the day before.
    So maybe this time I will call it a miss... and stay in good health.
    I'm early, but Very Happy Birthday Robbert!

Perhaps it would be more prudent to see how this plays out before labelling anyone a liar.

An excellent idea on any thread.

miss_lish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    Just to play Devil's Advocate for a moment...

I don't know Topdiva, don't know if he/she is Tony Turner or any of that. Perhaps I'm a skeptic from reading posts on Shalamar boards where sworn 'enemies' swear that anyone who disagrees with them is H. Hewett, S. Mills or J. Watley. I don't know whether what has been said here is true. I'll give the benefit of the doubt until it becomes clear that that benefit has outlived its usefulness.

Perhaps it would be more prudent to see how this plays out before labelling anyone a liar. We'll have the answer to this in about a week. If it proves to be that TD is lying, then I know how you guys will handle it & rightfully so. But for now, the cart is being placed before the horse & I think that there's some jumping of the gun here.

But what I want to know is this...

Should the Oprah appearance play out exactly as, or reasonably close to what Topdiva has stated, will anyone here be decent enough to offer an apology to Topdiva?

8 Days & counting...we'll see!

Thank you for your unsolicited intervention, Juice. You are so kind, balanced, and fair; however, a few of us have been to the dance a few times with Tony. Let's see if he tells us what she wore. Oh! He won't. We are too mean, vindictive, and jealous; therefore, he has no choice but to withhold any information that could be substantiated..blather..blather..

miss_lish Guest
    Hey Miss Lish..............I remember your comment about Elegant; well..........maybe I should send you a private message; I dont remember what thread you asked it on; it probably got buried in a fight.

I did hear the allegation Elegant was racist; I dont know the details; he wasn't to me; there are people who have posted on here that don't understand racism and it's subtleties; it will annoy some people but I think, for personal reasons, that I have a better understanding of it than many people. If Elegant is racist, I wouldnt approve and that's well known.

So all you should infer from the lack of a response was that the thread either got deleted or I lost track of it.

You and Elegant must know each other because you are in very close proximity to one another.

I know that at one time, ES, lived in Montana; if he is or was is Colorado, that is news to me. Do you consider Montana and Colorado to be in close proximity, my darling?

smark21 Guest
    Anyone who's seen enough of Diana Ross' interviews over the years can accurately predict that her sit down with Oprah will be a rather meh affair without startling revelations as she's generally pretty guarded in her interviews [[20/20 at the time of RTL is a rare exception). I've heard she's going to perform on the show. Since the show has supposedly been filmed, what song[[s) did she perform?

smark21 Guest
    I know that at one time, ES, lived in Montana; if he is or was is Colorado, that is news to me. Do you consider Montana and Colorado to be in close proximity, my darling?
    AS of January 2010 he was in Montana:

http://billingsgazette.com/news/loca...cc4c03286.html

Topdiva

You're welcome. I try to be fair, but admittedly, that hasn't always been the case, so, i'm trying to learn from past mistakes.

Let's just say that I have been around enough events & artists, so that I've come to understand that you can't always speak about what you know, nor give details. I read posts all over the internet which state all kinds of things that I know are nowhere near the truth. Regardless, I can't violate confidences just so that I can prove what I know, nor to clarify what is the personal matters of others. Once trust is broken, it's rarely regained & even if it seems to be regained, relationships are rarely the same afterward.

Most people on the internet have the gift of anonymity to hide behind, which makes it possible for them to say all sorts of things with impunity. Some of us do not have that benefit, nor would I personally want to have it. If I'm going to be so bold as to say something, then I want people to know that it's coming directly from me & not from someone who's hiding in the shadows. I believe that hiding behind ficticious names while lobbing grenades is rather cowardly. I believe that if you wouldn't talk crap to or about someone to their face, it's a punk move to do it over the internet. I wouldn't say anything here that i wouldn't say to someones face & to many, I'm far from anonymous, nor do I try to be.

Such is life when people trust you enough that they know that you won't betray their confidence, as well it should be.

miss_lish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Anyone who's seen enough of Diana Ross' interviews over the years can accurately predict that her sit down with Oprah will be a rather meh affair without startling revelations as she's generally pretty guarded in her interviews [[20/20 at the time of RTL is a rare exception). I've heard she's going to perform on the show. Since the show has supposedly been filmed, what song[[s) did she perform?

If you're waiting to get this answer from Tony Turner, don't hold your breath dear.

miss_lish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    AS of January 2010 he was in Montana:

http://billingsgazette.com/news/loca...cc4c03286.html

Yes, I recall seeing this article can others. I also recall Jobeterob being active on the Forum when ES was spewing hateful racist filth. I was surprise when Jobeterob wrote "alleged." Maybe all of the hate speak was lost in the shuffle, although it is difficult to assume how. The board was up in arms for weeks about this.