[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    miss_lish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Would Miss Lish care to explain what happened please?

With pleasure!

"Sometimes, though the rowdiness got dangerous. At one point, Gladys and Diana were feuding over some criticism Gladys had about the Supremes' dresses. Before she went on stage that night, Gladys was handed a note by one of the theatre employees: 'Diane is gonna kick your butt after the show.'

After the performance, Horton was accompanying Lee Garrett, a blind youngster, across a parking lot when Diana made her move. She was sitting behind the wheel of a station wagon waiting for Mary and Florence. When she saw Gladys, she stepped on the gas pedal and headed straight for her and the boy. The two of them stood frozen in the parking lot. Diana hit the brakes just as the car came to a screeching halt just a few feet away from Gladys and Lee. Gladys was understandably infuriated. She stood in front of the car and began screaming at Diana. "Go on ahead and hit me! Hit me! You crazy bitch!

Diana rolled down the window, gave Gladys the finger, rolled it back up and sped off laughing."

J.R. Taraborelli [[1989) Call her Miss Ross

Miss Lish is no lawyer, but this doesn't appear to rise to the level of vehicular manslaughter. ;o)

Wisconsin? Where did you hear that? From what I read in the "Meet The Supremes" deluxe edition, Barbara still lives in Detroit and has a degree in Psychology.

I think it would be great to see the surviving original Supremes together, but I don't think Diana and Barbara have spoken since she left the group in 1962.

Hell, they should just turn Diana's appearance on Oprah into an episode of "This Is Your Life."

Well, we've not heard her sing since He's Seventeen, so probably not. It would be great if some or all of these people could be somehow involved in the show; but Oprah's people will want to stick with people who would give them ratings and name recognition. It isn't going to happen. Sounds like it will be an interview and a performance. We'll see.

Well does she anything to sale, to hawk at this time? Everyone knows that if you have a hot book, a hot CD, a hot made for TV movie or a hot reunion tour, Oprah is the go to person! Oprah can insure a huge surge in sales ,etc for anyone. . ...... urrr well for just about anyone! LOL!

On an Oprah page it says: "...the Oprah Winfrey Show today announced a February full of exclusive, once-in-a-lifetime television events, incredible reunions and appearances by some of music's biggest stars."

So this door could swing every which way...

Step out of your unrealistic dreaming shoes.

Oprah only wants Diana. It's so obvious.
    The Supremes gave birth to just one diva.
    And the Diana show has already been taped, anyway.

Miss Lish

Thank you sweetheart. I need to read that book sometime....just too many big words for me!

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by miss_lish View Post
    With pleasure!

"Sometimes, though the rowdiness got dangerous. At one point, Gladys and Diana were feuding over some criticism Gladys had about the Supremes' dresses. Before she went on stage that night, Gladys was handed a note by one of the theatre employees: 'Diane is gonna kick your butt after the show.'

After the performance, Horton was accompanying Lee Garrett, a blind youngster, across a parking lot when Diana made her move. She was sitting behind the wheel of a station wagon waiting for Mary and Florence. When she saw Gladys, she stepped on the gas pedal and headed straight for her and the boy. The two of them stood frozen in the parking lot. Diana hit the brakes just as the car came to a screeching halt just a few feet away from Gladys and Lee. Gladys was understandably infuriated. She stood in front of the car and began screaming at Diana. "Go on ahead and hit me! Hit me! You crazy bitch!

Diana rolled down the window, gave Gladys the finger, rolled it back up and sped off laughing."

Miss Lish is no lawyer, but this doesn't appear to rise to the level of vehicular manslaughter. ;o)
    I wonder if the character of Regan when possessed by the devil in The Exorcist was based on Diana Ross?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Well does she anything to sale, to hawk at this time? Everyone knows that if you have a hot book, a hot CD, a hot made for TV movie or a hot reunion tour, Oprah is the go to person! Oprah can insure a huge surge in sales ,etc for anyone. . ...... urrr well for just about anyone! LOL!
    Oprah has stated several times this year that she has hand picked her guests for her final season. She does not want anyone on her show that is promoting anything, such as a book, CD, movie or tour.

Has Mary Wilson every appeared on Oprah?
    In person, I don't believe so. But she has been discussed several times over the years and there have been several clips shown of her [[as a Supreme) performing.

Quote Originally Posted by robbert View Post
    On an Oprah page it says: "...the Oprah Winfrey Show today announced a February full of exclusive, once-in-a-lifetime television events, incredible reunions and appearances by some of music's biggest stars."

So this door could swing every which way...

Step out of your unrealistic dreaming shoes.

Oprah only wants Diana. It's so obvious.
    The Supremes gave birth to just one diva.
    And the Diana show has already been taped, anyway.
    LOLz. You sure know a lot about Oprah, roBbert.

With pleasure!

I don't believe this story for one second. Another Motown myth.

With pleasure!

Hey John
    I do remember asking Gladys about this while she was living and I will be glad to tell you what she told me. It didn't happen like this and I will email you offline.
    Last edited by captainjames; 02-10-2011 at 10:23 AM.

Captainjames: I would also be interested in hearing Gladys' version of this story.

How sugar coated will that interview be?

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Wisconsin? Where did you hear that? From what I read in the "Meet The Supremes" deluxe edition, Barbara still lives in Detroit and has a degree in Psychology.

I think it would be great to see the surviving original Supremes together, but I don't think Diana and Barbara have spoken since she left the group in 1962.

Hell, they should just turn Diana's appearance on Oprah into an episode of "This Is Your Life."
    Maybe it is Detroit where Barbara Martin works in Podiatry.

miss_lish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Captainjames: I would also be interested in hearing Gladys' version of this story.

I think we all would Carlo; however the espionage tactics practiced in SupremesNation will most likely prevent that from happening. I do know that in Randy's second book, he totally glossed over this story; so, that led me to believe it had been embellished.

I think we all would Carlo; however the espionage tactics practiced in SupremesNation will most likely prevent that from happening. I do know that in Randy's second book, he totally glossed over this story; so, that led me to believe it had been embellished.
    Exactly miss_lish. To clarify my post from above; I don't believe for one second that it happened THIS WAY. I'm sure that there was some sort of confrontation, but I HIGHLY doubt Diana would seriously risk the lives of others, ESPECIALLY a child.

Funny thing, I bet 1000 sequins that Diana doesn't even remember this story, yet "the fans" have hung on to every word.

miss_lish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I wonder if the character of Regan when possessed by the devil in The Exorcist was based on Diana Ross?

Yes! And Miss Lish was told, Cruella Deville, all of the Disney female villains, Nurse Ratchet, Glen Close in Fatal Attraction, Jessica Walter in Play Misty for Me, and the Alien. Miss Ross is a *S*U*P*E*S*T*A*R* baby. Florence Ballard inspired Snow White.

miss_lish Guest
    Miss Lish

Thank you sweetheart. I need to read that book sometime....just too many big words for me!

You're welcome my darling. Did you fail Divadom 101? Diva's don't read, that's what minions are for, dear.

Fail! Me

Oh no dear, I didn't fail...I never got to the registration stage.

I was having a bad hair day!

lol

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_james View Post
    How sugar coated will that interview be?
    It's highly unlikely that Oprah will give Ross the James Frey treatment. And I doubt Ross will say much of interest. She's never been a very compelling interview. Between the Motown training in which she was taught to be non revealing and my own impression that she's doesn't possess a sparkling intelligence.

I never believed that story about Diana running over Gladys or attempting to. Just plain nonsense. Print a lie and have a million people believe it and it automatically becomes a fact no matter what both parties' accounts are. Gladys' version of that story may be far less dramatic than what the book made it out to be.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I never believed that story about Diana running over Gladys or attempting to. Just plain nonsense. Print a lie and have a million people believe it and it automatically becomes a fact no matter what both parties' accounts are. Gladys' version of that story may be far less dramatic than what the book made it out to be.
    In the Marvelettes book Marc Taylor wrote, Gladys says she and Diana had their fights, but it was mostly kid stuff as they were teens at the time.

miss_lish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    It's highly unlikely that Oprah will give Ross the James Frey treatment. And I doubt Ross will say much of interest. She's never been a very compelling interview. Between the Motown training in which she was taught to be non revealing and my own impression that she's doesn't possess a sparkling intelligence.

I think Diana Ross was right when she said, "I'm the intelligent one." One doesn't reach the heights she has reached without intelligence; however, I think Miss Ross suffers from taking herself too seriously and life-long insecurity. I think this may be why she doesn't sparkle in interviews; although there have been exceptions. There was one interview during the LSTB, Mahogany days when she was at the top of her game where the same spark she has on stage was apparent during the interview. Also, it seems she is much more at ease with the foreign press that she is at home. Below is an snippet of the interview from the LSTB, Mahogany days that I referenced:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJgwct9o7T4

Smark and Miss Lish ~ you both have good points and I agree with both of you; it is a subject not often broached; but I saw it cause a scuffle once.

I think Diana is smart like Berry was intuitively smart; like Michael was intuitively smart; to be honest, Mary Wilson learned it too. Diana has been in the business forever; no one screws her anymore; you don't climb the heights she climbed with being able to do a quick read and be street smart, picking things up quickly and acting on them effectively.

But she isn't book smart; people very close to her have seen her writing and it's modest. She doesn't have a university education. Her interviews aren't revealing. They are never going to be. She is a private person. She suffers from a lack of confidence and shyness. Generally, there isn't much to the interviews.

I would also say..........so what. Aretha is no different in terms of intelligence and she did very well in another sense. These women don't operate where Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama work.

supreme_lady Guest
    I think Diana Ross was right when she said, "I'm the intelligent one." One doesn't reach the heights she has reached without intelligence; however, I think Miss Ross suffers from taking herself too seriously and life-long insecurity. I think this may be why she doesn't sparkle in interviews; although there have been exceptions. There was one interview during the LSTB, Mahogany days when she was at the top of her game where the same spark she has on stage was apparent during the interview. Also, it seems she is much more at ease with the foreign press that she is at home. Below is an snippet of the interview from the LSTB, Mahogany days that I referenced:

You never know, this upcoming interview with Oprah might be an exception, maybe this is when we are going to see Diana finally open up, I have been on some Michael Jackson boards & forums, LET'S JUST SAY THEIR EXPECTATION ARE VERY HIGH on what Diana will say about their beloved Michael and they sure are expecting Diana to talk a lot about Michael just because he named her in his final WILL, BOY!! are they in for a major disappointment but then again maybe Diana would feel now is the time to talk about MJ and what she think about his WILL.

http://mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105692

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/8o852p

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?not...85055&comments

And insults towards Oprah, Michael fans really doesn't like Oprah Winfrey, do they????

I really don't need Diana to reveal anything for me to enjoy her, she might not be book smart but she sure is well spoken and I have enjoyed all of Diana's appearance on Oprah especially with her first appearance back in 1993, Oprah was practically drooling over Miss Ross, LOL!!!
    Last edited by supreme_lady; 02-11-2011 at 06:25 AM.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I don't believe this story for one second. Another Motown myth.

Believe it - honey it's true.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by supreme_lady View Post
    You never know, this upcoming interview with Oprah might be an exception, maybe this is when we are going to see Diana finally open up, I have been on some Michael Jackson boards & forums, LET'S JUST SAY THEIR EXPECTATION ARE VERY HIGH on what Diana will say about their beloved Michael and they sure are expecting Diana to talk a lot about Michael just because he named her in his final WILL, BOY!! are they in for a major disappointment but then again maybe Diana would feel now is the time to talk about MJ and what she think about his WILL.

http://mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105692

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/8o852p

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?not...85055&comments

And insults towards Oprah, Michael fans really doesn't like Oprah Winfrey, do they????

I really don't need Diana to reveal anything for me to enjoy her, she might not be book smart but she sure is well spoken and I have enjoyed all of Diana's appearance on Oprah especially with her first appearance back in 1993, Oprah was practically drooling over Miss Ross, LOL!!!

They need to lower there expectations - you will learn no more or no less than any true Diana or MJ fan already knows. While Diana will comment on MJ - the focus will be on Diana Ross.

No appearances by Mary - Cindy - LIVE.

Just Ross.

supreme_lady Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    They need to lower there expectations - you will learn no more or no less than any true Diana or MJ fan already knows. While Diana will comment on MJ - the focus will be on Diana Ross.

Just Ross.
    You are right, I believe the interview will be focused mostly on Diana and what's been happening in her live lately, I think the Michael subject will be brought up because of the WILL, Diana might want to talk about it or she might not, depend on what mood she's in.

Just Ross.
    No Barbara Martin or Florence Ballard's children? Why not?

smark21 Guest

Well "intelligent one" was scripted as part of their club act. Who knows if the writers wrote it sincerely [[as when they applied "sexy one" to Mary) or ironically [[when they applied "quiet one" to Florence).

But you're right in that Diana is intelligent. One has to be intelligent to become the performer she became as she soaked in a lot of knowledge to become the star performer. But I'm not sure if she has all that much curiosity about the world beyond her career or family. Off stage she could just very well be a very dull individual much of the time.

miss_lish Guest
    Of course the "intelligent one" was scripted, but I think there is some truth to that. However, I am not gonna get into a useless debate about which Supreme was more intelligent. You're right, off stage she very well may be dull; however, none of us have spoken to her, so the truth is we don't know. This is was drives me crazy about fans making assumptions about things they have no idea about. I don't think she comes across as unintelligent in interviews, I think guarded would be more descriptive, especially recently. I think she speaks mostly about career and family because those are two topics that are safe; no one will criticize her for discussing those topics. What I find more compelling are the comments of those who have worked closely with her: Lumut, Masser, Furie, DePasse, Gordy, Mackie, Rodgers, Simmons, Cher, Gaye, just a few off of the top of my head. Many have raved about what a pleasant experience it was to work with her, some have mentioned her intelligence. These are not the stories we hear about however; more often, we hear about her attempts to mow down little blind boys, and etc. Particularly compelling to me with regard to intelligence is her marriage to Naess. Of course he is a male so many will naturally perceive that he is intelligent; although, he very well may have been thick. Highly unlikely, considering his success in the shipping industry; she managed to hold his interest for thirteen years. That's saying something.

I had a feeling that confrontation with Diana and Gladys was exagerrated. It seemed a bit over-the-top to be true... like something from a soap opera/movie. In fact, I remember a movie where something almost identical to this almost happened. I can't remember the name of it or who starred in it. I believe it was from the 90's.

supreme_lady Guest
    Of course the "intelligent one" was scripted, but I think there is some truth to that. However, I am not gonna get into a useless debate about which Supreme was more intelligent. You're right, off stage she very well may be dull; however, none of us have spoken to her, so the truth is we don't know. This is was drives me crazy about fans making assumptions about things they have no idea about. I don't think she comes across as unintelligent in interviews, I think guarded would be more descriptive, especially recently. I think she speaks mostly about career and family because those are two topics that are safe; no one will criticize her for discussing those topics. What I find more compelling are the comments of those who have worked closely with her: Lumut, Masser, Furie, DePasse, Gordy, Mackie, Rodgers, Simmons, Cher, Gaye, just a few off of the top of my head. Many have raved about what a pleasant experience it was to work with her, some have mentioned her intelligence. These are not the stories we hear about however; more often, we hear about her attempts to mow down little blind boys, and etc. Particularly compelling to me with regard to intelligence is her marriage to Naess. Of course he is a male so many will naturally perceive that he is intelligent; although, he very well may have been thick. Highly unlikely, considering his success in the shipping industry; she managed to hold his interest for thirteen years. That's saying something.
    Couldn't have said it better myself, I think it is very insulting in the first place calling Diana "unintelligent", as that sure is no compliment, this is more or less calling her stupid and that's one thing Diana ain't
    As you said she comes across in interviews as very guarded and cautious and like to keep to the safe subjects, that doesn't make her "UNINTELLIGENT".

I believe Mary Wilson appeared on Oprah to promote "Dreamgirl" in 86/87. Oprah was still working her way up then, so it was a thrill to have a guest of Miss Wilson's caliber on.

It would be foolish to have Mary on now anyway, unless it was directly related to Ross. There's been nothing of note to promote in ages, unless Oprah did a show on that low bugeted documentary she appeared in a few years back.

From what I heard over the years, Winfrey wanted to organize a reunion after RTL and the Arizona incident, but Diana wants nothing to do with a reunion. Apparently she meant it when she said "been there, done that".

lol I think Diana has surrounded herself with the right people and has weeded out the ones that have been a negative foce in her life. She has made some very wise investments and manage to survive the vulgers that prey on individuals. She may not have been the prettiest girl at Motown or even the one with the best voice in the studio but what she did have was the drive and she knew what she wanted and how to get it. That in itself makes her intelligent or wise.

Anyway, I remember once asking Mary about the "sexy one" title and she was quick to say that it was Diana that tagged her that title.

Now where the "quiet one" came from I have no idea except maybe it was a pun to say Flo was never quiet about anything.

No,DIANA has never open up,and yes,we fans,want her to open up,[[like mself)but DIANA don't have to open up to anyone,she's a grown women,it would be nice,if she did,but she,don't have to.
    Please stay positive

supreme_lady Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    lol I think Diana has surrounded herself with the right people and has weeded out the ones that have been a negative foce in her life. She has made some very wise investments and manage to survive the vulgers that prey on individuals. She may not have been the prettiest girl at Motown or even the one with the best voice in the studio but what she did have was the drive and she knew what she wanted and how to get it. That in itself makes her intelligent or wise.

Anyway, I remember once asking Mary about the "sexy one" title and she was quick to say that it was Diana that tagged her that title.

Now where the "quiet one" came from I have no idea except maybe it was a pun to say Flo was never quiet about anything.
    Couldn't have said it better myself, one thing Miss Ross ain't is DUMB.

I am getting more and more excited as the day of the Oprah interview draws near, can't help myself when it comes to Ms Diana Ross

Supreme_lady

"I am getting more and more excited as the day of the Oprah interview draws near, can't help myself ......"

A quick dose of Sugar Pie Honey Bunch might calm your nerves!

*Smile*

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thaperson View Post
    I believe Mary Wilson appeared on Oprah to promote "Dreamgirl" in 86/87. Oprah was still working her way up then, so it was a thrill to have a guest of Miss Wilson's caliber on.

It would be foolish to have Mary on now anyway, unless it was directly related to Ross. There's been nothing of note to promote in ages, unless Oprah did a show on that low bugeted documentary she appeared in a few years back.

From what I heard over the years, Winfrey wanted to organize a reunion after RTL and the Arizona incident, but Diana wants nothing to do with a reunion. Apparently she meant it when she said "been there, done that".

Mary Wilson did not appear on Oprah to promote Dreamgirl My Life As A Supreme. She was passed over by Oprah who had been trying for years to book Diana Ross and did not want to upset Diana by booking Mary Wilson - thus - Oprah did get Diana to sit for an unterview for doing Diana the "FAVOR" not to book Mary.

Really quite wicked of them.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by supreme_lady View Post
    You are right, I believe the interview will be focused mostly on Diana and what's been happening in her live lately, I think the Michael subject will be brought up because of the WILL, Diana might want to talk about it or she might not, depend on what mood she's in.

You will see that you are right.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Koach View Post
    I had a feeling that confrontation with Diana and Gladys was exagerrated. It seemed a bit over-the-top to be true... like something from a soap opera/movie. In fact, I remember a movie where something almost identical to this almost happened. I can't remember the name of it or who starred in it. I believe it was from the 90's.
    Being a "...bit over-the- top", has made and kept Diana Ross a star - and honey, yes it is a true story. Or are you calling Mary Wilson a liar.

I didn't know it was her who told the story. I'm not calling her a liar. I'm just saying it's natural for stories to get twisted over time as they're passed down to others... sort of like that kid's game where one says a secret into another's ear and so forth. I didn't mean anything against Mary Wilson, please believe me.

From Diana Ross, Facebook:

Mark your calendars! Tune in to the Oprah Show on 2/25 for an interview and performance!

Mary Wilson did not appear on Oprah to promote Dreamgirl My Life As A Supreme. She was passed over by Oprah who had been trying for years to book Diana Ross and did not want to upset Diana by booking Mary Wilson - thus - Oprah did get Diana to sit for an unterview for doing Diana the "FAVOR" not to book Mary.

Really quite wicked of them.
    Are you presenting this as fact or hearsay Ma'am? The good book of Timothy says the following.

“Besides, they get into the habit of being idle and going about from house to house. And not only do they become idlers, but also gossips and busybodies, saying things they ought not to”

From Diana Ross, Facebook:

Mark your calendars! Tune in to the Oprah Show on 2/25 for an interview and performance!

Some of them bitches here are fierce! If you need a make over hit me up. I have many AVON products that will make you look better. You may not feel better and the Lord may not care but I do. Call Penny.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Koach View Post
    I didn't know it was her who told the story. I'm not calling her a liar. I'm just saying it's natural for stories to get twisted over time as they're passed down to others... sort of like that kid's game where one says a secret into another's ear and so forth. I didn't mean anything against Mary Wilson, please believe me.
    The story is in DREAMGIRL MY LIFE AS A SUPREME

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Exactly miss_lish. To clarify my post from above; I don't believe for one second that it happened THIS WAY. I'm sure that there was some sort of confrontation, but I HIGHLY doubt Diana would seriously risk the lives of others, ESPECIALLY a child.

Funny thing, I bet 1000 sequins that Diana doesn't even remember this story, yet "the fans" have hung on to every word.

Mary Wilson was an EYEWITNESS to this story and revealed it in her book Dreamgirl My Life As A Supreme. In was in other books as well. Of course it was not in the Ross memoir - Secrets Of A Sparrow - but then nothing negative about herself was.

Expect nothing more from her on Oprah - the most revealing will likely be her life as a grandmother. It is a soft interview - a tribute by Oprah to Diana Ross. A great staged performance and an interview that goes for the emotionally touching - and the grace and life of a great misunderstood star.

Watch what I am telling you.

Dreamgirl..the book came out around 1986. Diana didn't appear on Oprah until 1993. You mean to tell me that Oprah didn't have Mary on her show for 7 years HOPING she would land a Diana Ross interview? How about something more realistic. It is quite possible that Oprah just doesn't like Mary Wilson. Perhaps Mary, and that book rubbed Oprah the wrong way. Maybe Oprah sees Mary as opportunistic, jealous, and vindictive and wants nothing to do with her.