[REMOVE ADS]

Dionne Warwick-Theme from Valley of the Dolls - Carol Burnett Show

One of the greatest songs of the 60s.......

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post

---------------
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-05-2018 at 10:33 PM.

I agree 100% Marv,
    and THANK YOU for this live version , quite different from the 45 release , which I have likely played a thousand times . I special ordered it as an "oldies " 45 as a teen. That and Peggy Lee's IS THAT ALL THERE IS .

Dionne's voice was made for this song, no other would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I agree 100% Marv,
    and THANK YOU for this live version , quite different from the 45 release , which I have likely played a thousand times . I special ordered it as an "oldies " 45 as a teen. That and Peggy Lee's IS THAT ALL THERE IS .

It is indeed magnificent. Just a beautiful song. Dionne was a formidable talent, and is without doubt one of the all time great female vocalists.

Not familiar with this song (or the live version) but I will check it out... I do like "Do You Know The Way To San Jose" from Dionne's Valley Of The Dolls album very much though...

I'm a tad biased of course, but I much prefer it by Gladys !..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE0UzPztGLU

If we are going to start talking about everyone that covered DIONNE's song, you might as well throw in the King Sisters from the King Family....gee!

Even Patty Duke (God rest her soul) had at it......

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Not familiar with this song (or the live version) but I will check it out... I do like "Do You Know The Way To San Jose" from Dionne's Valley Of The Dolls album very much though...
    It was only probably the greatest song of the 1960s. I'm happy you are able to hear it now and here.

Quote Originally Posted by Eargasm View Post
    I'm a tad biased of course, but I much prefer it by Gladys !..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE0UzPztGLU
    Gladys does a good job of course, but the production makes it sound as if they spliced together parts of the vocal when she makes the changes it doesn't flow as smoothly.

I agree 100% Marv,

You are most welcome. Yes, the 45 released version is the one I am most familiar with hearing growing up. That was the one our local radio stations played. My mother record because it was from her favorite movie.

This is indeed one of the greatest songs of the 60s. Love Dionne Warwick and this song is one of her best. Nobody can do it better than Dionne IMO.

Well, I listened to Dionne's "Valley Of The Dolls" (the studio version) and liked it. It seems like a good song, but the greatest song of the 60s? Maybe you guys oversold it to me (or my expectations were too high) but I don't hear the greatest song of the 60s there, lol Of course, that is just my opinion...
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 05-16-2018 at 08:42 AM.

Hey Tom Tom
    At least you are in the receptive practice of giving songs like this a chance!

" Valley of the dolls " is one of those songs that futilely confronts , in three minutes or less, the 'what is the meaning of life ' issue (lol) . I hear a confused angst In Dionne's delivery as her mind races contemplating the point of it all.

It's likely the song that first made me love the French horn sound .Which can also be heard in MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA, speaking of Gladys Knight.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-18-2018 at 01:59 PM.

Hey Tom Tom

" Valley of the dolls " is one of those songs that futilely confronts , in three minutes or less, the 'what is the meaning of life ' issue (lol) . I hear a confused angst In Dionne's delivery as her mind races contemplating the point of it all.

It's likely the song that first made me love the French horn sound .Which can also be heard in MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA, speaking of Gladys Knight.

Cheers!

I wished they still played real instruments in music recordings.

Hey Tom Tom

Cheers!
    Hey Boogie, I gave it another listen and liked it slightly more. So that's good.

So that sound is a French horn eh? Well there you go. I would never have made the comparison to "Midnight Train To Georgia", so thanks for that. In fact I've never really taken much notice of the horn in that one. I guess I've always focused on Gladys' lead and the wonderful (and thoroughly engaging) backing vocals from The Pips!!!

Is that what the song was addressing? Oh my. Yeah I didn't really understand the track that much either, lol, which probably has something to do with me not falling in love with it. It's from a film which I have never seen either. So yeah

Hey Boogie, I gave it another listen and liked it slightly more. So that's good.

So that sound is a French horn eh? Well there you go. I would never have made the comparison to "Midnight Train To Georgia", so thanks for that. In fact I've never really taken much notice of the horn in that one. I guess I've always focused on Gladys' lead and the wonderful (and thoroughly engaging) backing vocals from The Pips!!!

Is that what the song was addressing? Oh my. Yeah I didn't really understand the track that much either, lol, which probably has something to do with me not falling in love with it. It's from a film which I have never seen either. So yeah
    I am just curious. Were you around in 1968? The book, the film and the song were a deep part of pop culture at the time.

I am just curious. Were you around in 1968? The book, the film and the song were a deep part of pop culture at the time.
    Hey Marv, no, I wasn't around in 1968, on account of me, erm, not being born yet.

Hey Marv, no, I wasn't around in 1968, on account of me, erm, not being born yet.
    The film is regarded by some critics as amongst one of the worst film ever made, and the book was widely derided but both did well in their respective markets which says much about public tastes. The song however was magical.

Valley of the Dolls is the first novel by American writer Jacqueline Susann. Published in 1966, the book was the biggest selling novel of its year.To date, it has sold more than 31 million copies,making it one of the best-selling works in publishing history.

The soundtrack to the film received an Academy Award for Best Music (Scoring of Music - Adaptation or Treatment) (John Williams).

It also won a Grammy Award for Best Original Score from a Motion Picture or Television Show (André Previn).

The film, "Valley of the Dolls", The box office was rather impressive, with 50 million USD worldwide gross against 5 million USD budget.

The single peaked at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 for four weeks in February 1968 and peaked at #2 on the Cash Box and #1 on the Record World charts as well. So as you can see all aspects of "Valley of the Dolls" the book, the film and the music were very successful!

Those dancers! lol

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Those dancers! lol
    What? They were your typical corny TV show dancers from the sixties. LOL! Remember that Motown Ready Steady Go special with Dusty Springfield hosting? hehehehehehehehe!

It's a great song but greatest song of the '60s?

LOL

One of the greatest songs of the 60s....... I know, because I was there.....LOL!

Thanks for the Gladys Knight version Eargasm!

I've now listened to it enough times to warm up to it. It's different, (no French horn!) as to be expected. A little more raw.
    I'm glad someone in the Motown fold took on this emotionally charged song.
    Not surprised it was Gladys.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; Today at 12:29 PM.