[REMOVE ADS]




Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 65
  1. #1

    Dionne Warwick-Theme from Valley of the Dolls - Carol Burnett Show

    One of the greatest songs of the 60s.......


  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    One of the greatest songs of the 60s.......

    ---------------
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-05-2018 at 10:33 PM.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    One of the greatest songs of the 60s.......


    I agree 100% Marv,
    and THANK YOU for this live version , quite different from the 45 release , which I have likely played a thousand times . I special ordered it as an "oldies " 45 as a teen. That and Peggy Lee's IS THAT ALL THERE IS .

    Dionne's voice was made for this song, no other would do.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I agree 100% Marv,
    and THANK YOU for this live version , quite different from the 45 release , which I have likely played a thousand times . I special ordered it as an "oldies " 45 as a teen. That and Peggy Lee's IS THAT ALL THERE IS .

    Dionne's voice was made for this song, no other would do.
    It is indeed magnificent. Just a beautiful song. Dionne was a formidable talent, and is without doubt one of the all time great female vocalists.

  5. #5
    Not familiar with this song (or the live version) but I will check it out... I do like "Do You Know The Way To San Jose" from Dionne's Valley Of The Dolls album very much though...

  6. #6
    I'm a tad biased of course, but I much prefer it by Gladys !..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE0UzPztGLU

  7. #7
    If we are going to start talking about everyone that covered DIONNE's song, you might as well throw in the King Sisters from the King Family....gee!


  8. #8
    Even Patty Duke (God rest her soul) had at it......


  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Not familiar with this song (or the live version) but I will check it out... I do like "Do You Know The Way To San Jose" from Dionne's Valley Of The Dolls album very much though...
    It was only probably the greatest song of the 1960s. I'm happy you are able to hear it now and here.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Eargasm View Post
    I'm a tad biased of course, but I much prefer it by Gladys !..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE0UzPztGLU
    Gladys does a good job of course, but the production makes it sound as if they spliced together parts of the vocal when she makes the changes it doesn't flow as smoothly.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I agree 100% Marv,
    and THANK YOU for this live version , quite different from the 45 release , which I have likely played a thousand times . I special ordered it as an "oldies " 45 as a teen. That and Peggy Lee's IS THAT ALL THERE IS .

    Dionne's voice was made for this song, no other would do.
    You are most welcome. Yes, the 45 released version is the one I am most familiar with hearing growing up. That was the one our local radio stations played. My mother record because it was from her favorite movie.

  12. #12
    This is indeed one of the greatest songs of the 60s. Love Dionne Warwick and this song is one of her best. Nobody can do it better than Dionne IMO.

  13. #13
    Well, I listened to Dionne's "Valley Of The Dolls" (the studio version) and liked it. It seems like a good song, but the greatest song of the 60s? Maybe you guys oversold it to me (or my expectations were too high) but I don't hear the greatest song of the 60s there, lol Of course, that is just my opinion...
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 05-16-2018 at 08:42 AM.

  14. #14
    Hey Tom Tom
    At least you are in the receptive practice of giving songs like this a chance!

    " Valley of the dolls " is one of those songs that futilely confronts , in three minutes or less, the 'what is the meaning of life ' issue (lol) . I hear a confused angst In Dionne's delivery as her mind races contemplating the point of it all.

    It's likely the song that first made me love the French horn sound .Which can also be heard in MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA, speaking of Gladys Knight.

    Cheers!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-18-2018 at 01:59 PM.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Hey Tom Tom
    At least you are in the receptive practice of giving songs like this a chance!

    " Valley of the dolls " is one of those songs that futilely confronts , in three minutes or less, the 'what is the meaning of life ' issue (lol) . I hear a confused angst In Dionne's delivery as her mind races contemplating the point of it all.

    It's likely the song that first made me love the French horn sound .Which can also be heard in MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA, speaking of Gladys Knight.

    Cheers!


    I wished they still played real instruments in music recordings.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Hey Tom Tom
    At least you are in the receptive practice of giving songs like this a chance!

    " Valley of the dolls " is one of those songs that futilely confronts , in three minutes or less, the 'what is the meaning of life ' issue (lol) . I hear a confused angst In Dionne's delivery as her mind races contemplating the point of it all.

    It's likely the song that first made me love the French horn sound .Which can also be heard in MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA, speaking of Gladys Knight.

    Cheers!
    Hey Boogie, I gave it another listen and liked it slightly more. So that's good.

    So that sound is a French horn eh? Well there you go. I would never have made the comparison to "Midnight Train To Georgia", so thanks for that. In fact I've never really taken much notice of the horn in that one. I guess I've always focused on Gladys' lead and the wonderful (and thoroughly engaging) backing vocals from The Pips!!!

    Is that what the song was addressing? Oh my. Yeah I didn't really understand the track that much either, lol, which probably has something to do with me not falling in love with it. It's from a film which I have never seen either. So yeah

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hey Boogie, I gave it another listen and liked it slightly more. So that's good.

    So that sound is a French horn eh? Well there you go. I would never have made the comparison to "Midnight Train To Georgia", so thanks for that. In fact I've never really taken much notice of the horn in that one. I guess I've always focused on Gladys' lead and the wonderful (and thoroughly engaging) backing vocals from The Pips!!!

    Is that what the song was addressing? Oh my. Yeah I didn't really understand the track that much either, lol, which probably has something to do with me not falling in love with it. It's from a film which I have never seen either. So yeah
    I am just curious. Were you around in 1968? The book, the film and the song were a deep part of pop culture at the time.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I am just curious. Were you around in 1968? The book, the film and the song were a deep part of pop culture at the time.
    Hey Marv, no, I wasn't around in 1968, on account of me, erm, not being born yet.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hey Marv, no, I wasn't around in 1968, on account of me, erm, not being born yet.
    The film is regarded by some critics as amongst one of the worst film ever made, and the book was widely derided but both did well in their respective markets which says much about public tastes. The song however was magical.

  20. #20
    Valley of the Dolls is the first novel by American writer Jacqueline Susann. Published in 1966, the book was the biggest selling novel of its year.To date, it has sold more than 31 million copies,making it one of the best-selling works in publishing history.

  21. #21
    The soundtrack to the film received an Academy Award for Best Music (Scoring of Music - Adaptation or Treatment) (John Williams).

    It also won a Grammy Award for Best Original Score from a Motion Picture or Television Show (André Previn).

  22. #22
    The film, "Valley of the Dolls", The box office was rather impressive, with 50 million USD worldwide gross against 5 million USD budget.

    The single peaked at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 for four weeks in February 1968 and peaked at #2 on the Cash Box and #1 on the Record World charts as well. So as you can see all aspects of "Valley of the Dolls" the book, the film and the music were very successful!

  23. #23
    Those dancers! lol

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Those dancers! lol
    What? They were your typical corny TV show dancers from the sixties. LOL! Remember that Motown Ready Steady Go special with Dusty Springfield hosting? hehehehehehehehe!

  25. #25
    It's a great song but greatest song of the '60s?

    LOL

  26. #26
    One of the greatest songs of the 60s....... I know, because I was there.....LOL!

  27. #27
    Thanks for the Gladys Knight version Eargasm!

    I've now listened to it enough times to warm up to it. It's different, (no French horn!) as to be expected. A little more raw.
    I'm glad someone in the Motown fold took on this emotionally charged song.
    Not surprised it was Gladys.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-20-2018 at 12:29 PM.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Well, I listened to Dionne's "Valley Of The Dolls" (the studio version) and liked it. It seems like a good song, but the greatest song of the 60s? Maybe you guys oversold it to me (or my expectations were too high) but I don't hear the greatest song of the 60s there, lol Of course, that is just my opinion...
    It's a lovely song, but nowhere near the greatest song of the 60s. Much as i like it i don't even think it would make my top 10 of Dionne's 60s songs, but i respect other peoples right to disagree.

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Valley of the Dolls is the first novel by American writer Jacqueline Susann. Published in 1966, the book was the biggest selling novel of its year.To date, it has sold more than 31 million copies,making it one of the best-selling works in publishing history.
    Fifty shades of grey and its ghastly sequels have also sold well, but it doesn't mean they are good novels. Anything but.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Fifty shades of grey and its ghastly sequels have also sold well, but it doesn't mean they are good novels. Anything but.
    "Sold well"? You really don't understand. LOL!

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I agree 100% Marv,
    and THANK YOU for this live version , quite different from the 45 release , which I have likely played a thousand times . I special ordered it as an "oldies " 45 as a teen. That and Peggy Lee's IS THAT ALL THERE IS .

    Dionne's voice was made for this song, no other would do.
    I love how she just flows through the song never over singing it, but using her voice to emphasize certain lines that really brings it all home! It is one of my deserted island songs.

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    What? They were your typical corny TV show dancers from the sixties. LOL! Remember that Motown Ready Steady Go special with Dusty Springfield hosting? hehehehehehehehe!
    I agree...what were they thinking!

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    "Sold well"? You really don't understand. LOL!
    Does "31 million copies sold" ring a bell? LOL

  34. #34
    I don't know if it was successful here in the UK but I have never heard of it or seen it before. What's it about?

    Why is Marv defending the film so much? Is Mary Wilson in it or something? (ah I'm just jokin' Marv )

  35. #35
    Who knows? I've never seen such a strong response from him that wasn't Supremes related before!

    Here's a fun fact about the film though: Judy Garland was going to be in the film but the director treated her like crap so she left the film. Susan Hayward replaced her.

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I don't know if it was successful here in the UK but I have never heard of it or seen it before. What's it about?

    Why is Marv defending the film so much? Is Mary Wilson in it or something? (ah I'm just jokin' Marv )
    Cliffs Notes version: Three women in showbiz deal with life, competition, love and addiction. The “dolls” of the title are pills. The film is a real turkey but, for my money, one of my all-time favorite guilty camp pleasures.”SPARKLE, NEELY, SPARKLE!”🤣

  37. #37
    Yeah, the film is a camp classic. The "kids" love it! Lol

    And I'm sure they've done drag to Dionne's VOTD version.

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Does "31 million copies sold" ring a bell? LOL

    You need to ask Bluebrock that, I know it was a monumental success. I remember seeing the book in the homes of several of my relatives back then. The paperback.

  39. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I don't know if it was successful here in the UK but I have never heard of it or seen it before. What's it about?

    Why is Marv defending the film so much? Is Mary Wilson in it or something? (ah I'm just jokin' Marv )
    Why don't you get serious? The only intelligent thing you said in your post is that you did not know if it was successful in the UK. That may be the problem. We are in different countries. What is popular here may not be in England. Also you were not even born when this came out. When you have a question for me, I would appreciate it if you direct it to me. I will respond back to you. Who were you asking? I don't have to defend shit. The success of the book, movie and soundtrack is very well documented and because of the internet you can even look it up yourself..........in the UK!

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Does "31 million copies sold" ring a bell? LOL
    Bluebrock (because he just likes to argue and always be on the wrong side LOL!) tried to make it appear that the novel, "Valley of the Dolls" sold well like your average New York Times Bestseller, when in reality, it was one of the best selling books of any kind in history! A smart man would never attack or try to play down that kind of success without looking extremely ignorant or bitter.

  41. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Cliffs Notes version: Three women in showbiz deal with life, competition, love and addiction. The “dolls” of the title are pills. The film is a real turkey but, for my money, one of my all-time favorite guilty camp pleasures.”SPARKLE, NEELY, SPARKLE!”��
    The drugs or the need for drugs was a forerunner of what is going on in America today! The inability to deal with pain of any kind has led millions here to self medicating, which has now led to record breaking levels of overdoses and death!

  42. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    I agree...what were they thinking!

    hehehehehehehehe.......!

  43. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Bluebrock (because he just likes to argue and always be on the wrong side LOL!) tried to make it appear that the novel, "Valley of the Dolls" sold well like your average New York Times Bestseller, when in reality, it was one of the best selling books of any kind in history! A smart man would never attack or try to play down that kind of success without looking extremely ignorant or bitter.
    I could say a lot here but i shall not sink to your depths. For your information i saw the film in the 70's and thought it was highly enjoyable trash. I watched it again around 20 years ago and just found it to be trash. That is my opinion. You have yours. I am not going to change my mind on the subject and i do not expect you to change your mind. Perhaps my tastes are more discerning. Let us just agree to disagree and move on. I am a busy man and i am sure you must be busy planning a new Mary Wilson thread to enthrall us all with. Go and get on with it. I await it with baited breath...............
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 05-22-2018 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Not finished my post

  44. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Why don't you get serious? The only intelligent thing you said in your post is that you did not know if it was successful in the UK. That may be the problem. We are in different countries. What is popular here may not be in England. Also you were not even born when this came out. When you have a question for me, I would appreciate it if you direct it to me. I will respond back to you. Who were you asking? I don't have to defend shit. The success of the book, movie and soundtrack is very well documented and because of the internet you can even look it up yourself..........in the UK!
    Ah Marv, I was just joking. Would it help if I added a ‘LOL!’ to my post?
    Again, I'm joking.

  45. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Cliffs Notes version: Three women in showbiz deal with life, competition, love and addiction. The “dolls” of the title are pills. The film is a real turkey but, for my money, one of my all-time favorite guilty camp pleasures.”SPARKLE, NEELY, SPARKLE!”🤣
    Thanks sans.

  46. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Thanks sans.
    Sure thing, Tom!

  47. #47
    Now, I just looked into it, and both the book and film sold very well, so were successful in that regard. The book has sold 31 million copies and is one of the best-selling books of all time, and the film made 50 million USD at box office compared to a 5 million USD budget. However, both received generally negative reviews. The book was widely panned by critics, and the film has a rating of 0% (!!) on Rotten Tomatoes as reviewed by film critics.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 05-22-2018 at 05:11 AM.

  48. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Now, I just looked into it, and both the book and film sold very well, so were successful in that regard. The book has sold 31 million copies and is one of the best-selling books of all time, and the film made 50 million USD at box office compared to a 5 million USD budget. However, both received generally negative reviews. The book was widely panned by critics, and the film has an rating of 0% on Rotten Tomatoes as reviewed by film critics.
    Damn! Rotten Tomatoes is a riot!🤣🤣🤣

  49. #49
    Wow. 0%?! LOL that's cruel.

  50. #50
    Yea I know!!!! The average rating (from everyone who has reviewed it?) is 31% but the film critic-reviewed rating is 0%!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.