[REMOVE ADS]

Dramatics video - weegee and l.j. In the same group line- up!?

Here's a new video to me, maybe to you as it was only posted in January.... I was amazed to discover WeeGee and L.J. Reynolds in the same line up.... how did that happen? Having two very powerful lead singers in the same line up must have been very challenging. Given that WeeGee decided to leave to go solo years before, and had a smash in "Hold On To Your Dream", and L.J Reynolds was brought in as his replacement, when and how did this line up happen and how long did it last. I know Wee Gee passed away subsequently.

Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 04-30-2018 at 07:59 AM.

Here's L.J.Reynolds' Dramatics on TV in February...

Hi Mike!

Wee Gee rejoined the group for the "Somewhere In Time [[A Dramatic Reunion)" album on Fantasy in 1986.

Best regards
    Heikki

Hello Heikki, thanks for the info, I had no idea. I am still puzzled as to how two lead singers with the same range and power could operate in the same group without ultimately clashing... regards Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Here's a new video to me, maybe to you as it was only posted in January.... I was amazed to discover WeeGee and L.J. Reynolds in the same line up.... how did that happen? Having two very powerful lead singers in the same line up must have been very challenging. Given that WeeGee decided to leave to go solo years before, and had a smash in "Hold On To Your Dream", and L.J Reynolds was brought in as his replacement, when and how did this line up happen and how long did it last. I know Wee Gee passed away subsequently.

Amazing as this is gonna sound, this is a new one on me too! I have never seen or heard this particular line up of the Dramatics. I never knew WeeGee even came back for one song and I have been a Dramatics fan since the very early 70s. Research time!

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi Mike!

Wee Gee rejoined the group for the "Somewhere In Time [[A Dramatic Reunion)" album on Fantasy in 1986.

Best regards
    Heikki
    Heikki, you are the absolute best! Thank you!

Larry"Squirrel" Demps was always in and out after about 1977.

Hi Marv!

Here's a bit more on that subject. Yesterday I just didn't have enough time.
    If you remember, the group was on a hiatus between 1983 and '86.

Ron Banks: "Through the years, from '83 to '86, everybody was seeing each other once and awhile. We called each other, just to see what was happening. We were just lonely for one another. Everybody would touch on the subject 'man, we'd better get back together.' I would keep pushing to get Wee Gee back involved in it, too, because it was just L.J., myself, Larry and Willie talking about it."

Willie Ford: "We started talking, everybody agreed that we would come back to Detroit, do the reunion tour and to start all over again. During those years I was just working. I got me several jobs. I was driving a truck, cabs, I worked for minimum wage - whatever I had to do to live."

L.J.: "-- I was over at Fantasy doing my solo deal, when we got together, and Fred Pittman and myself said 'hey, why don't we do the Dramatic Reunion album.' So we stopped doing my album [[Tell Me You Will) - that's why it took so long for the album to come out - put it aside to do the Reunion album."

Lenny Mayes: "We went to San Jose and San Francisco to record that album. We had a good time recording it."

The line-up in 1986 was Ron "Banko" Banks, L.J. Reynolds, Lenny Mayes, Willie Ford and William "Weegee" Howard.
    [[Soul Express: The Dramatics Story, part 4).

Best regards
    Heikki