[REMOVE ADS]

Question Hunting for ivy jo hunter

hi everyone! i'm new here and am looking for any background info i can find about IVY JO HUNTER. i know he is from Detroit and still lives there...wrote prolifically for Motown, and wrote some outstanding songs. i do know the basics, but am hunting for all the info i can get. lol! i'd appreciate anyone's help on this topic. thank you!!

Why don't you ask him yourself? He's on Facebook and he regularly posts in his group.

[[smiling wryly) Have you ever asked him a question? I hesitate to say he is non-responsive, but he isn't much of a communicator. [[smiling broadly, now)

Quote Originally Posted by lucabella View Post
    [[smiling wryly) Have you ever asked him a question? I hesitate to say he is non-responsive, but he isn't much of a communicator. [[smiling broadly, now)
    LOL

Mary on Facebook has a way of handling him. If you say something that's wrong. he'll bite your head off. LOLOL

Get Mary to ask him.

I tried, several times, to ask about some information on recordings/ musicians, but got nowhere.
    I left the group.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    I tried, several times, to ask about some information on recordings/ musicians, but got nowhere.
    I left the group.
    That's a shame Larry but I can understand why.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    I left the group.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  21.1 KB
    Sorry to hear that about the other half of my favourite Motown songwriting team. From my experience, Mickey Stevenson didn't have a problem talking about his work during the early days of his career. He's one of my songwriting heroes, and I know how hard songwriting is, because I took a go at it back in the day. Too bad. A lot of creators are willing, but just can't remember small details of specific jobs out of hundreds they had from 50-60 years ago. And we can't really blame them. Some of them are shocked at how much we know about recordings that weren't released or marketed correctly, or didn't sell that many years ago. And to them they were often just one job among hundreds they worked on, and had no large significance to them. Maybe he is a very busy man. But, I always make time for aspiring young cartoonists. So, maybe he'd rather save his valuable time to talk turkey with aspiring songwriters, rather than music fans?

It was no great issue really. Ivy's age is probably a factor. Who knows?
    When I visted Detroit, I found his telephone number in the local Directory.....I took a chance with the number, and it turned out to be the man himself. We had a brief chat and he was fairly helpful as I remember. So no complaints.
    The issue I tried to raise was the unique guitar sound he introduced around 1967, often on Isley Bros. tracks [[ "Why when love is gone" is a good example). Who played it?, Where did the inspiration/ thought come from? etc.

I enquired a few times but no reply was forthcoming. As the site was fairly repetitive, I lost interest .
    Last edited by snakepit; 04-27-2021 at 03:16 PM.

Maybe I can help here. I've had the pleasure of knowing Ivy for many years and have also been a Facebook friend more recently. As of late, Ivy generally deflects questions about his music to others, or his "brother" limiting his online and Facebook activity to philosophical or political musings. I've also noticed that if you probe deeper or lend a different perspective to some of his online posts, he's likely to "unfriend" you... Still gotta love the guy...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 04-27-2021 at 12:33 PM.

I do... so many great tracks to be thankful for.