[REMOVE ADS]

Bein' With You - Tavares

Any Tavares fans out there? What a great group they were

This album track from Sky High! has to be one of my favourite Tavares songs. I used to love it even before I knew Motown, in the ‘before Motown’ era, LOL. Anyway, turns out the reason I love it so much is because it sounds like a Motown song

And... written and produced by Freddie Perren no less...

Loved their double-sided hit "Remember What I Told You to Forget" and "My Ship" as well as their big hit "Whodunit."

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Loved their double-sided hit "Remember What I Told You to Forget" and "My Ship" as well as their big hit "Whodunit."
    Oh yea, they're some great ones david!!!!

Can I ask... what you do think of "Bein' With You"...?

Tom, as you like Johnny Bristol, here are a couple of his productions on Tavares.
    Johnny recorded himself on Strangers In Dark Corners
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 04-28-2018 at 06:25 AM.

Wish You Were With Me, Mary. Also recorded by OC Smith as Wish You Were With Me, Baby.

Tom:

That song is alright I guess but does not grab me as much as the ones I mentioned.

Very well david. I mean, obviously, you're totally wrong about it not grabbing you, but it's all good. [[jokin)

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Tom, as you like Johnny Bristol, here are a couple of his productions on Tavares.
    Johnny recorded himself on Strangers In Dark Corners
    I haven't really got into Tavares' Johnny B album yet, it hasn't really grabbed me... I guess it's because it's more mellow than their later stuff. I like "Strangers In Dark Corners" although I prefer Johnny's own version... very rare groovy! What about you Mike?

Well now, I DO like this track! Very good

Wish You Were With Me, Mary. Also recorded by OC Smith as Wish You Were With Me, Baby.

I like this
    Few more listens and I'll love it

I've enjoyed Tavares' music. They were very popular during my high school years. I think I have all of their albums. I saw them in concert on Long Island in 2006. This was probably my favorite of their songs:

"Never Had A Love Like This Before" showed them at their best. Great multiple leads and superb harmonies. I use to spend a lot of time in their hometown of New Bedford, Mass.

Tom, I always prefer Johnny Bristol on his own versions, without exception. One of the mysteries to me is why Johnny ever was produced by others like Gus Dudgeon, good as they might be. I thought Johnny unbeatable.

As for Tavares, here is a very overlooked track by Tavares with Freda Payne which should have been huge....CRANK UP THE VOLUME!

Tom, I always prefer Johnny Bristol on his own versions, without exception. One of the mysteries to me is why Johnny ever was produced by others like Gus Dudgeon, good as they might be. I thought Johnny unbeatable.
    Hey Mike, be careful there when you say “without exception” — we all know that Tom Jones is by far the superior interpreter of Johnny's songs...

I didn't even know that Gus Dudgeon produced Johnny on his Free To Be Me album. I agree though, Johnny's own sound is wonderful on it's own.

As for Tavares, here is a very overlooked track by Tavares with Freda Payne which should have been huge....CRANK UP THE VOLUME!

MMM yes Mike, I love that one!!!! I listened to it for the first time recently and didn't even know that Freda was on the track until she started singing... great stuff...

I don't have the album that it's on unfortunately, I think it might have been the CD reissue of theirs which is ridiculously overpriced!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 04-29-2018 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I don't have the album that it's on unfortunately, I think it might have been the CD reissue of theirs which is ridiculously overpriced!
    Just checked, it's not Love Storm, it's Love Uprising: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Love-Uprisi.../dp/B008EOQVFM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008E...=UTF8&qid=&sr=
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 04-29-2018 at 08:11 PM.

How about Tavares do Average White Band? Um, yes please

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I've enjoyed Tavares' music. They were very popular during my high school years. I think I have all of their albums. I saw them in concert on Long Island in 2006. This was probably my favorite of their songs:

I like that one too marv

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post

[video=youtube;g0nOEOZTbbM]https://www.youtube.com
    I've not heard that one in awhile!

If I were to make up a personal top 10 disco favorites list , surely this would be in it:

Kind of sounds like a cheesy bar pick up line, but it sure sounded great back then with the harps and swirling strings. Tavares vocals among the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

If I were to make up a personal top 10 disco favorites list , surely this would be in it:

Kind of sounds like a cheesy bar pick up line, but it sure sounded great back then with the harps and swirling strings. Tavares vocals among the best.
    Oh that was played all summer in 1976. I don't think a day went by without hearing it on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

Oh of course Boogie... this one is a classic... one time I got sick of hearing it... but now I appreciate it for the classic it is...

By the way, what do you think of "Bein' With You"?

Tavares gets a rise here every time. I started a thread on them in the past and just like this thread it got a good response. I didn't care for the Mary song but did discover The Ghost of Love a year ago and like it very much. The video for TGOL has very nice steps also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d4jjhiI--w.

The group has many hits and great songs and for me Check It Out and Madam Butterfly are classics.
    Last edited by mr_june; 05-03-2018 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Oh of course Boogie... this one is a classic... one time I got sick of hearing it... but now I appreciate it for the classic it is...

By the way, what do you think of "Bein' With You"?
    HEAVEN MUST BE MISSING to me sounded strongly influenced by Van McCoy's tom tom sound .

And BEING WITH YOU is a keeper ! Has a nice attitude about it. Does it maybe sound a bit influenced by label-mate Natalie Cole's recent hit???

As a DJ back then , I'd have definitely tried working them together .
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-05-2018 at 10:06 PM.

Boogie Boogie Boogie, I would never have thought of that, but you're right, they do have that same bouncy, jazzy, happy feel... mmm mmm, yes, love it!!!!