[REMOVE ADS]

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by booty View Post
    £19.61 plus postage on amazon.co.uk via their global store. Total cost £22.50. Ordered mine on 1st July and it arrived yesterday.
    It's now dropped to £13.99 which is a pretty good deal in my book. I ordered mine yesterday.

Yes £13.99 with a free mp3 version of the album on autorip. Bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It's now dropped to £13.99 which is a pretty good deal in my book. I ordered mine yesterday.
    Me too - I wasn't sure it was the extended version at first, as it's suddenly appeared, and at this price too. As the download is linked to it - I knew it was the right one :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    If that's the case, MotownEddie, B.G. must have been thrilled with this one!
    LOL - thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    LOL - thank you!
    You're welcome! 😁

Phew! Thankfully I pre-ordered from Amazon at £13.99 and was able to download the free autorip album immediately even though the release date is 3rd August [[no booklet though). Today the price is up to £20.36. Weird.

I am curious when Diana went from being "the skinny one" to being "the intelligent one?"

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    I am curious when Diana went from being "the skinny one" to being "the intelligent one?"
    Not sure if my memory is correct with this one...but wasn't it the other way around? She introduced herself as the intelligent one at some of their earlier shows and then it became "the skinny one".

If you listen to the At The Copa album, she refers to herself as the "Intelligent One." This was recorded in July 1965. The Roostertail '66 show on the I Hear A Symphony Expanded Edition she calls herself the "Skinny One," but also jokes she's the "Intelligent One." That show was recorded in September 1966. My guess is the dialogue was changed sometime in 1966. She drops the "Intelligent One" line by the May 1967 Copa show.

I find it interesting Diana was the Skinny One, Mary was the Sexy One, Florence was the Quite One, and if you listen to the Opening Medley cut from the Supremes Join The Temptations album, Eddie refers to Cindy as the Shy One. I wonder if that was included just for the album or if they referred to Cindy as the Shy One during their stage patter.

This new set is imho the best of the 5 supremes studio albums by the original trio. It does not get any better. The new mixes are exquisite. these tracks were recorded in 66 or earlier and when released in 67 i had no idea this would be the last full length studio album featuring flo. She brought her a game to many of the backing tracks here and they highlight diana,s lead vocals. Im so glad they included the alternate vocal ykmho wiith the heightened vocals. Going down for the third time om goodness. And that last copa show is the best of the three they did. I was at t 66 show and this one shows a vast improvement. Even though diana had a cold her vocals come right on through unlike the 65 copa show where ther were some audio issues. I noticed mary and especially flo got a lot of adlibbing during some of the performances 67 copa performances, and yes ithis release is iconic because it is the last time other than the rogers and hart release that we would see the supremes in their original form. Im not sure i will be buying reflections unless something is on that set that i never heard and it is either dmf or dmc.

I always wondered if they continued the group introductions after Flo left. It'd make sense that they wouldn't for two reasons:
    1. Cindy's inclusion was very hush hush at first. It was just like "oh there's a new girl" and doing a group introduction would just bring more attention to the fact that Flo was replaced.

2. Diana was being built up as the star of the group. Her name and face needed to be out there so she could successfully leave the group eventually and be a success on her own. It didn't matter who was singing with her at that point, no group introductions needed. "Hi we're the Supremes we'd like to do medley..."

Mary and Cindy were prominently introduced Dec 8, 1968 on the "TCB" television special.

When the Copa album came out, I played it 100's of times. I loved it. I am no longer into Supremes live performances. I really don't notice the difference between one show or another, nor care if it was Flo or Cindy. On the new expanded CD, I do like Diana's huskier voice due to having a cold.

well i definetly care if its or cindy bsck because there is a definite difference in t supremes sound afterall it is the supremes since ross was still a group member

If it is flo or cindy

the sound of a suptemes show is definetly not thr same when flo is in the lineup singing as opposed t cindy. No pun intended

Am I the only one shocked when Miss Wilson shouts "I cannot do it anymore" at the end of I Guess Ill Always Love You? Good Lord, what a work ethic. I never heard the big star say such a stupid thing.

Am I the only one shocked when Miss Wilson shouts "I cannot do it anymore" at the end of I Guess Ill Always Love You? Good Lord, what a work ethic. I never heard the big star say such a stupid thing.
    Lol. I was shocked too but for me it was amusing and showed that they were having a good time while working.

Jesus, she was joking around laughing.

You say you never heard the big star say such a stupid thing...go listen to the new mix of “Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart,” at the end she says “Ain’t that enough?!” I guess by your standards that was a stupid thing to stay. What a work ethic.

I am not at home to listen to this song for verification but I seem to recall that at the beginning of the recording Mary says something like "we can do that", so her work ethic is just fine.

I got the impression they were being asked to do something a little out of the ordinary or out of their usual vocal range.

Also, we don't know how many takes they did on this song before she made her comment about reaching her limit.

alanbill1074 Guest
    She's probably talking about the many chorus repetitions you sing at The end of a track

Quote Originally Posted by alanbill1074 View Post
    She's probably talking about the many chorus repetitions you sing at The end of a track
    Also the song keeps modulating higher and higher in pitch thus requiring her to switch from a more chest like voice to a head voice which is quite tricky for an alto to jump to a soprano voicing.

Well known anti-Mary troll, peeps. Not worth our time.
    Last edited by thanxal; 07-21-2018 at 09:41 PM.

I have just pre-ordered a copy from AmazonUK at bargain price of £9.99.

alanbill1074 Guest
    Nice one. I ended up importing, again. I wish they'd sync their release dates or at least advertise them sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by alanbill1074 View Post
    Nice one. I ended up importing, again. I wish they'd sync their release dates or at least advertise them sooner.
    It's now dropped to £9.99 on Amazon UK.

£9.99 with immediate free autorip mp3 download. Yep so now I have 2 downloads available. Any clever ideas? At least the real thing will be here soon [[the CDs).

Diana's vocals were ALWAYS smack-dab on the beat or a teeny-tiny bit ahead of the beat. That was her style and I loved it. But, on Going Down for the Third Time, at 1:44, she is a tad bit late coming in when she says, "Reach out your hand for me...." I wonder if she momentarily got lost and missed her usual cue? If so, she instantly recovered which demonstrated her innate brilliance.
    Im sure it’s on purpose as it keeps the beginning of each verse from being rote on a vocal that is spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Good for you, but if we don't continue to support these releases they are likely to cease and that would never do. Your choice of course, but these editions are aimed at us "anoraks" and if we are not willing to support them there is unlikely to be sufficient interest from the casual punters to spend their cash on them. I will continue to buy them for as long as they continue.
    thank you for reminding everyone that unlike most releases, these expanded editions are very, very rare to get and the only way anyone can listen to them AT ALL, is if they are supported financially by US! There are no legions of teens or audiophiles all waiting for the next release to cover for those who wish to Spotify or thelike. My God, how previous can $20 be twice a year to support music that you are clearly interested in?

When she wentbs9lo...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    That is absolutely bloody fantastic and Susaye sounds wonderful! I haven't even bought this CD yet but I think I will do right now.
    What else are the girls holding in addition to a copy of the CD?

Ray

the new version of Going Down for the Third time is amazing. great track

Quote Originally Posted by mem1320 View Post
    What else are the girls holding in addition to a copy of the CD?

Ray
    If I remember correctly Ray it's a copy of The Supremes' Let Yourself Go The '70s Albums Vol. 2!

Quick Questions: I've been listening to the new version of this album on repeat lately, especially the live tracks. I notice Flo sings a little riff during the live version of "I Hear A Symphony" before launching into the chorus again.

Was this improvised? Where Mary / Cindy / Flo encouraged to do this? I just find it odd; I was under the impression that Motown wanted to shift the group toward a solo/Diana-centric project, and even that tiny riff Flo performs seems like such an act of rebellion. Of course this is only my own interpretation, and I am going off the 1970s "vibes" and material which were much more accommodating of shared leads, post-Diana. Even as time went on, Mary's "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" became shorter and shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by loganjlr View Post
    Quick Questions: I've been listening to the new version of this album on repeat lately, especially the live tracks. I notice Flo sings a little riff during the live version of "I Hear A Symphony" before launching into the chorus again.

Was this improvised? Where Mary / Cindy / Flo encouraged to do this? I just find it odd; I was under the impression that Motown wanted to shift the group toward a solo/Diana-centric project, and even that tiny riff Flo performs seems like such an act of rebellion. Of course this is only my own interpretation, and I am going off the 1970s "vibes" and material which were much more accommodating of shared leads, post-Diana. Even as time went on, Mary's "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" became shorter and shorter.
    i think you're reading a bit much into it. i don't believe the girls were under some sort of militaristic regime. yes motown was building things up around diana. but that doesn't mean that M or F were totally irrelevant. go back and listen to the live shows from Copa 65, then roostertail, then copa 67. the overall growth of showmanship is very evident. Ad libs increase, they're more comfortable with songs and routines. Flo seemed to add more of these vocal touches than Mary. There are ad libs in My World is Empty, everyone is adding "oh yeahs" and other touches during you Can't Hurry Love. The comedy routines had grown considerably

Is anyone else missing "I Can't Help Myself [[Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch) - Where Did Our Love Go [[Motown Mashup)" on CD 2 of the set? I see that it's listed as far as purchasing the CDs but it's not included under the MP3s for downloading on Amazon, nor is it available on iTunes. Since the song is not listed on the back cover, I've left it sealed and sent a request to the seller to return it. Is the song on CD 2 and just not listed on the back cover? Is the one I purchased an import that's different than the domestic release? I bought mine on eBay from Import CDs because it was a lower price. What's up?

Quote Originally Posted by brothadc View Post
    Is anyone else missing "I Can't Help Myself [[Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch) - Where Did Our Love Go [[Motown Mashup)" on CD 2 of the set? I see that it's listed as far as purchasing the CDs but it's not included under the MP3s for downloading on Amazon, nor is it available on iTunes. Since the song is not listed on the back cover, I've left it sealed and sent a request to the seller to return it. Is the song on CD 2 and just not listed on the back cover? Is the one I purchased an import that's different than the domestic release? I bought mine on eBay from Import CDs because it was a lower price. What's up?
    The track list that was first released on Amazon was not the final. We were told there were licensing issues and therefore it was replaced. It is not on any release.

Thanks for the info Vgalindo! I did happen to read on the Facebook Expanded Editions page that there were also licensing issues involving the duet with Gladys Knight & The Pips, which resulted with their vocals not being included, but I couldn't find any info anywhere in regards to the Motown Mashup. Good, I can keep my CDs! At one point I thought about asking Gladys how she felt about being included on a new Supremes release, but I never got around to it. No need now!!

Quote Originally Posted by brothadc View Post
    Thanks for the info Vgalindo! I did happen to read on the Facebook Expanded Editions page that there were also licensing issues involving the duet with Gladys Knight & The Pips, which resulted with their vocals not being included, but I couldn't find any info anywhere in regards to the Motown Mashup. Good, I can keep my CDs! At one point I thought about asking Gladys how she felt about being included on a new Supremes release, but I never got around to it. No need now!!
    I am not sure she would be very pleased, but it would certainly please the fans. Maybe it could be included on a future release if it was ever cleared for release.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Jesus, she was joking around laughing.

You say you never heard the big star say such a stupid thing...go listen to the new mix of “Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart,” at the end she says “Ain’t that enough?!” I guess by your standards that was a stupid thing to stay. What a work ethic.
    Who knows what part of what tape that was cut and pasted from - it could have come from anywhere

The big star asks a business question -- "Is that enough?"

The backup gal cries, "I can't do it anymore."

BIG DIFFERENCE

The big star asks a business question -- "Is that enough?"

The backup gal cries, "I can't do it anymore."

BIG DIFFERENCE
    "Better fade."

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    £9.99 with immediate free autorip mp3 download. Yep so now I have 2 downloads available. Any clever ideas? At least the real thing will be here soon [[the CDs).
    Wow I better order one then at that price

Quote Originally Posted by SoulgusUK View Post
    I have just pre-ordered a copy from AmazonUK at bargain price of £9.99.
    I can only see an older single CD version at that price - I see HMV have it listed for after August 3rd at 9.99

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    I can only see an older single CD version at that price - I see HMV have it listed for after August 3rd at 9.99
    Try this link, I hope it works.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Supremes-Si...panded+edition

Quote Originally Posted by SoulgusUK View Post
    Excellent that works it threw me they were using the non expanded cover

I've just checked my Amazon order confirmation e-mail which states:

The Supremes Sing Holland - Dozier - Holland
    The Supremes
    Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.

£20.36
    [[or less)
    Learn more

On checking my order in their system it now says £9.99. Some price reduction!

I pre-ordered mine last week from Amazon UK at the reduced price [[£9.99).

I had an email a couple of days saying it would be in and despatched on August 3rd.

However, I just had the following email saying it will be delayed.

We're writing to let you know that the following items have been unexpectedly delayed:

The Supremes "The Supremes Sing Holland - Dozier - Holland"
    Estimated arrival date: August 09 2018 - August 13 2018

One of our aims is to provide a convenient and efficient service but in this case, we've fallen short. Please accept our sincere apologies.
    Cheers

Paul

My copy from Amazon UK was delivered today. Not sure why the hold up for you Paul [[Bradburger). I must say a big thank you to all involved. The booklets are wonderfully informative together with the fantastic pictures and beautifully crafted cover. The mastering is supreme

All of this for £9.99!!!!!

Just one request please to those who can make things happen......

Just as we have the You Can't Hurry Love overspill on this album, could we please have the Motown LP box set version of You Keep Me Hangin' On released on the expanded release of Reflections. I have always wanted that version on CD and to coin a phrase from Diana Ross, I'm Still Waiting.

Sincere thanks to all.

I first ordered the HDH CD set at £13.99 on 10th July - I was able to download the tracks immediately due to autorip. This first set arrived yesterday and was reduced to the "final" price of £9.99 - what a bargain.

I ordered a second set on 28th July when the price went to £9.99 - it's nice to be able to support these releases and to have one set to open and one to keep as new. Obviously that meant I could download again [[but I haven't bothered). This CD set is out for delivery by 8pm tonight lol.

Slight downer is that one of the booklets [[the one that has The Supremes Sing Motown on the cover has a slight ripple - due I think to being forced into such a tight pocket - are they all like that?

Overall - this is a truly wonderful release. We are being spoilt this year - Supremes, Bobby Darin, Spinners, Thelma Houston, Temptations, Eddie Kendricks, Blinky and even more still to be announced. Good time to be a Motown fan.