[REMOVE ADS]

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by motown01 View Post
    I'm curious, was an alternate take ever found in the vaults of 'There's No Stopping Us Now' with a better sax break? I'm wondering what the story is behind the awful sax 'squeak' in that song, and why it was left in the final version.
    That's the only one found. No alternate and nothing after the fade.

George, we still can't buy it in the UK except at import prices! Help please

Roll call, honey!

Who's tuned in to Nightflight?

Quote Originally Posted by motown01 View Post
    I'm curious, was an alternate take ever found in the vaults of 'There's No Stopping Us Now' with a better sax break? I'm wondering what the story is behind the awful sax 'squeak' in that song, and why it was left in the final version.
    I always noticed that myself. Funny. Love the imperfections.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Roll call, honey!

I'm listening to it right now!

Roll call, honey!

I am! ~James from Newburgh, NY [[First time listener)

Anyone know the history of keeping in the "squeak" in There's No Stopping Us Now? Surprised Motown QC allowed that.

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish46 View Post
    Anyone know the history of keeping in the "squeak" in There's No Stopping Us Now? Surprised Motown QC allowed that.
    No, I sure don't, fightingirish. I commented on that myself a week or two ago. Back in high school band, whenever one of the sax players or clarinet players squeaked, the band director would stop mid-song and make the 'guilty' party check to see if their reed had split. It's always baffled me as to how Motown's Quality Control let that one slip through. I've been cringing since I first heard that annoying squeak in 1967!

Mine arrived this afternoon. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Copley, try importcds. The release is currently on backorder, but I am sure it will not take long until they receive more stock. With shipping added, I believe it will cost you less than 20 pounds.

https://www.importcds.com/the-suprem...n/602567368526

Otherwise I believe the EU release date is July 20th and it will likely be cheaper to ship to the UK after that date, if you are willing to wait it out. Sorry to hear it is not available yet as a non-import release

Great show John, Andy and George! I found it interesting that several seconds of the extended mix of The Happening had to be cut from the final release, due to time restrictions and that you guys aired the full version on the broadcast. I also picked up on the track sounding "different" to my ears during the broadcast, but chalked it up to me possibly not paying enough attention to the version on the CD. Nice to know that I picked up on that and was not going crazy

thanks Johnny, Andy ,George. and team. you made our holidays special.
    we love you guys for all you do even though we complain,,,,but not directed at any of you. thank you for giving us these treasures
    would be interested in Diana or Marys feedback
    damn I missed the show celebrating my daughters b day

Yes thank you John, Andy, And George. I really enjoyed the show.

Yes. It's finally here. Thank you to all who put in such hard work and caring to make this release happen.

Will the EU date automatically be the UK date? We haven't left just yet.

Guys, don't forget to post some reviews on Amazon to help spur sales. Lavishing praise on the album here is preaching to the choir. Let's help encourage more releases.

I always look forward to that sax squeak. It's one reason I prefer the mono to the stereo version of the song - the sax is more prominent on the mono.

My favorite is, let's just say I've been GOINN DOWN FOR MILLIONTH TIME.😁😁

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Ł19.61 plus postage on amazon.co.uk via their global store. Total cost Ł22.50. Ordered mine on 1st July and it arrived yesterday.

I received my copy yesterday and stayed up all night listening to it. Thanks again, George, Andy, and the rest of the guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    No, I sure don't, fightingirish. I commented on that myself a week or two ago. Back in high school band, whenever one of the sax players or clarinet players squeaked, the band director would stop mid-song and make the 'guilty' party check to see if their reed had split. It's always baffled me as to how Motown's Quality Control let that one slip through. I've been cringing since I first heard that annoying squeak in 1967!
    I feel the same way about the sax break of "There's No Stopping Us Now". That 'squeak' is not as noticeable on the stereo mix of the song but it really stands out like a sore thumb on the mono mix. While I agree that Motown's 'quality control' should've corrected it, all I can think of is that quote from B.G. years ago stating that he likes "certain types of mistakes".

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I feel the same way about the sax break of "There's No Stopping Us Now". That 'squeak' is not as noticeable on the stereo mix of the song but it really stands out like a sore thumb on the mono mix. While I agree that Motown's 'quality control' should've corrected it, all I can think of is that quote from B.G. years ago stating that he likes "certain types of mistakes".
    If that's the case, MotownEddie, B.G. must have been thrilled with this one!

hate to spoil the party, but I love the squeak and look forward to it everytime!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I received my copy yesterday and stayed up all night listening to it. Thanks again, George, Andy, and the rest of the guys.
    Awesome to hear

i would think when they cds sell out Universal would want the next ready to go.strange

I thought all these deluxe editions have sold out

I listened to the set on Spotify and have decided that I don't need this set after all. Good. I can save some money.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I listened to the set on Spotify and have decided that I don't need this set after all. Good. I can save some money.
    Good for you, but if we don't continue to support these releases they are likely to cease and that would never do. Your choice of course, but these editions are aimed at us "anoraks" and if we are not willing to support them there is unlikely to be sufficient interest from the casual punters to spend their cash on them. I will continue to buy them for as long as they continue.

Nice to see lots of 5 star reviews on Amazon! The album appears to be doing very well with critics and fans. I just got my copy yesterday and played it through once. It's nice to have one of the last live performances with Florence present even though the show doesn't vary a great deal from the concerts we've already heard. The mono/stereo versions of the album tracks are beautifully done and very nicely mastered. My favorite tracks from the album are still my favorite tracks, "Remove This Doubt," "Going Down for the Third Time," and of course "You Keep Me Hangin' On."

I don't think it's quite as transformational a remaster as "A Go Go," only because the original "Go Go" album was, to me, not very well mastered and many of the arrangements had a very thin sound to them. The expanded edition really pumped up the album tracks and brought out so much in them I hadn't heard before most notably the hand claps on "These Boots are Made for Walkin.'" But "Sing HDH" is a very important piece in the Supremes' body of work. I'm going to listen to it a few more times and then post a review on AZ.

Just one question...does anyone else have the urge to strip [[or at least disrobe) when they hear the opening to "You're Gone [[but Always in My Heart)"? I swear, if there was a stripper pole handy...

right on Bluebrock....

I'm listening to the extended "You can't hurry love" and to where the vocals isolate it sounds like Mary and Flo to me. You guys sure Marlene's in there? Also I used to think it was the andantes on "There's No Stopping Us" but listening to the mono version it sounds like them with Mary and Flo.

Here is what I'm hearing-On there's no stopping mono I hear Flo and Mary on the unison vocals shadowing Diana's lead,and with Diana when they sing There's No stopping us now" and the oohs. I hear the Andantes maybe with Flo and Mary on the responses [[Now that we face the unknown.etc) kinda like with In and Out of Love" where the Andantes do the Look, Look, Looking for a love part). Both are almost muted completely on the stereo except the oohs and the responses

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I'm listening to the extended "You can't hurry love" and to where the vocals isolate it sounds like Mary and Flo to me. You guys sure Marlene's in there? Also I used to think it was the andantes on "There's No Stopping Us" but listening to the mono version it sounds like them with Mary and Flo.
    As much as I want to believe its Florence, it does not sound like Florence to me. Listen to their Italian rendition of the song, "L'amore verra," which Florence IS present on. The tone on the backgrounds sound noticeably different. Unfortunately I believe Fit is Mary and Marlene on YCHL.

I've had my copy for a week now and I'm very pleased with it. The packaging is great and the informative booklets are a godsend. I especially had a great time comparing the timelines of "A Go Go" and "Sings HDH" and connecting the dots where possible. However,this release made me take notice of how far us Motown fans and Universal have come. From the releases all the way to the executives, so many phases and changes. Since the industry itself isn't what it used to be we don't get as many diverse releases as we once did and quantity has plummeted. It's also a gas to see Universal Mastering- East reclaim it's rightful place as the mecca of sound restoration. Sterling Sound seemed to be a UMe favorite for quite awhile,but we're home again. So without getting too sentimental here,I would like to thank all the personnel who had any interest in where we are today in no particular order.

Harry Weinger, Bill Levenson, Amy Herot, Dana Smart, Pat Lawrence, Andy Skurow[[you know how to find 'em), Keith Hughes, Paul Nixon, George Solomon, Candace Bond,Cary Mansfield and everyone else past and present who has gotten us to the present time.

On the sound side: Kevin Reeves[[ still hangin' in), Ellen Fitton, Suha Gur, Jeff Willens, Seth Foster, Bill Inglot, Dan Hersch, Gavin Lurssen, Leslie Ann Jones, Phil Nicolo, Gary Moore [[U.K.), Obie O'Brien and everyone else involved. Wherever technology stood at any given time,you did your very best to ensure that fans heard what they loved in the freshest way possible.

And finally to the fans around the world and the immediate musical family here at Soulful Detroit, Thank You. We've lost so many members throughout the years, but we manage. It's been a phenomenal ride for such a long time.

"Ross" may be the next release unless canceled, but I'm looking forward to "Reflections" in 2019. 25 + years and still going....

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    As much as I want to believe its Florence, it does not sound like Florence to me. Listen to their Italian rendition of the song, "L'amore verra," which Florence IS present on. The tone on the backgrounds sound noticeably different. Unfortunately I believe Fit is Mary and Marlene on YCHL.

Imo it's a great possibility that it's not Flo, although the tone sounds similar to Flo. It's hurtful to to us fan to realized we might have been duped but in my eyes I can always see Flo with Mary and Diana banging the tambourine and performing the song and having fun, so It will always be an original Supremes song regardless of who might or might not have stepped in the studio. It was the original ladies who sang it live and promoted it on T.V. and that's who we identify it with! It was sold to us as the original Supremes and it's how I will always see it.

If you read the A Go Go expanded liner notes careful you’ll read in the essay the flo skipped the recording date on 7/5/66 and Marlene did it. In the essay they list a few songs like Misery Makes It Heart and others. In the essay they don’t list YCHL. But if you go to the track by track notes you see the background vocals were recorded on July 5. It’s marlene. Not flo

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Sometimes don't you wish there was a "Love" button on here????

I'm loving the new release! I'm so thankful we're finally getting physical releases again. I don't know why you'd only be content with just merely downloading or pressing play on a streaming site. You get so much more with the physical version, full information about the songs, the timeline history of the group and rare photos and artwork from around the world! The last few releases have been even more detailed, including information about the new mixes and letting you know where to get all of the previously released mixes. [[Okay, I guess some people don't care, but it's very helpful for those of us who've been collecting everything throughout the years to remember what the differences are for everything we have.) I love all of the new mixes too, it's like being in the studio and having the multi-tracks in front of you and having fun isolating all of the different tracks, hearing all of those different parts that come together to make the final masterpieces! And as a contrast to the new stuff, you also get a genuine '60s time capsule with the inclusion of the reproduced tour books from the time.
    Last edited by Buttered Popcorn and so forth; 07-09-2018 at 05:07 AM.

Only thing I'm wondering is what happened to the "I Can’t Help Myself [[Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch) – Where Did Our Love Go [[Motown Mashup)" that was original mentioned earlier in this thread when they first released the track list? I was excited waiting to find out what that would've sounded like and now it ended up not being included...

Scherrie and Joyce are from Detroit and I can tell that this means a lot to them because they were around and knew the Supremes. Susaye is totally giving me Eartha Kitt here!

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Sometimes don't you wish there was a "Love" button on here????
    They are fantastic. Love it. Makes me wanna listen to that particular sing more now.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Ha! Ha! I am loving this. I can tolerate that squeak so much more than I can the "wrong note" of the celeste/vibraphone [[bell-like) instrument in "Everything's Good About You." Part of the moving, rhythmic pattern is that it moves up one step for each phrase [[as evident throughout the song). Just before Diana sings [[at the :23 mark), "You brighten my whole world," the instrument does not move up one step which throws off the flow of the song for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyVQW9Go7U4

Quote Originally Posted by CoolKatz View Post
    Scherrie and Joyce are from Detroit and I can tell that this means a lot to them because they were around and knew the Supremes. Susaye is totally giving me Eartha Kitt here!
    I never realized before that Susaye can sing in Diane's key. She sounds fabulous on the excerpt of "Love is Here and Now You're Gone." Her voice has never made me think of Diane's before, but in this impromptu vocal she really sounds like Ross but then takes the song and makes it sound like her own style.

And how classy of these three classy ladies to promote an album that they don't even sing on!

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Ha! Ha! I am loving this. I can tolerate that squeak so much more than I can the "wrong note" of the celeste/vibraphone [[bell-like) instrument in "Everything's Good About You." Part of the moving, rhythmic pattern is that it moves up one step for each phrase [[as evident throughout the song). Just before Diana sings [[at the :23 mark), "You brighten my whole world," the instrument does not move up one step which throws off the flow of the song for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyVQW9Go7U4
    Well, thanks a lot, jobucats! I never really noticed that before and now I can't stop hearing it!!!

There was a great post on the Expanded Editions Facebook page about the FLO's getting their copies of the new HDH set. How wonderful that they thanked so many involved in these projects.

Of course some jackass had to post that they didn't thank Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Well, thanks a lot, jobucats! I never really noticed that before and now I can't stop hearing it!!!
    Now someone else can share my pain. Ha! I recall back in the 60s hearing the song for the first time and saying to myself, “I sure do like those little bells making their own little melody.” All of sudden there was that wrong note that was so out of place. A redeeming factor is that there is a version on some recent compilation where it doesn’t stick out as much.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    That is absolutely bloody fantastic and Susaye sounds wonderful! I haven't even bought this CD yet but I think I will do right now.

There was a great post on the Expanded Editions Facebook page about the FLO's getting their copies of the new HDH set. How wonderful that they thanked so many involved in these projects.

Of course some jackass had to post that they didn't thank Diana.
    I don't understand that. They thanked all of them by promoting the album.

I never understood the reason to bring up crap from other sites/forums to this site. Leave whatever it is, over there.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    I never understood the reason to bring up crap from other sites/forums to this site. Leave whatever it is, over there.
    You're right of course.