[REMOVE ADS]

Jackey Beavers Revilot 208 - Was it actually released?

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  21.1 KB
    Was Jackey's lone Revilot single, "I Need My Baby" actually for sale in record shops in mid 1967? Did it get any airplay even in Detroit? It certainly didn't in any other parts of the country. I never saw it until in the hands of a couple Brits after 1980. It was never played on WVON in Chicago, KGFJ in L.A., and KDIA in Oakland. I never saw it in a shop [[and I not only perused the bargain bins and new releases in all the Soul shops in all the big cities in USA, and also drove to Detroit one Saturday a month and looked in the bargain bins of record shops, and searched thrift stores, junk shops and discount stores' sales.

I'd like to hear from a Detroiter who was buying Soul records in 1967. I've never even seen it in the collection of any Detroit Soul collecter. Personally, I don't think it even got to the record shops, and only a tiny local Detroit pressing was made, and Revilot didn't even bother distributing them, due to trying hard to get their current hit [["I Wanna Testify") by The Parliaments, out to distributors and record shops. I think that the few that are in the hands of British NS collectors came to the public after 1980, from a batch that had been in the hands of whoever inherited Revilot's stock [[Don Davis?).

I'll be curious to read what Detroiters from that time say about this.

Robb, take a look at the comments given by US folks on buying the single in the US. I think you can safely conclude it was released in the US.

Somewhat associated with the thread, here is an apparently genuinely unreleased track by Jackey Beavers..

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Robb, take a look at the comments given by US folks on buying the single in the US. I think you can safely conclude it was released in the US
    Comments, WHERE??? I didn't see any comments by US folks on the Soul-Source thread. I NEVER saw the record in shops in 1967 in Chicago, L.A., Detroit, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, St. Louis, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Des Moines, San Francisco/Oakland, Portland, Seattle/Tacoma, etc. Nor did I see it even in US Detroit Soul collectors' collections, even amongst those I knew in Detroit. A box of 25 minters of them was found near the beginning of the 1980s. THAT had to be the source for most of The UK members that have them. Yes, I have seen scans of a few in used condition. So, clearly, some store stockers were pressed up for testing the market in Detroit. They MAY have gotten into Detroit stores, but only in very small numbers, and not many sold in '67. I still have yet to hear of an American who has one [[and bought it in 1967).

Wow, what a flaming! Calm down Robb.

Here's the comments. Ridicule them if you don't believe them. Call them liars. I have extracted the relevant comments, whether you believe them is up to you. Only trying to respond, shouldn't have bothered. BTW, Cincinnati is in the USA, and Battle Creek is in................................................ .......................Michigan, 120 miles by car from Detroit in case you were unaware

Steven Stewardson2 months ago

susantrapasso2 years ago

i am so lucky to own a copy

erven dawson5 years ago

It was 1967 and I was at Fort Custer Job Corps Center in Battlecreek, Michigan when this song came out. I was having girlfriend trouble with this chick back home in Cincinnati. To make a long story short, I took a weekend leave and went home to Cincinnati and took [ I Need My Baby ] with me, no one here had heard it. We played that record till the grooves turned white. Iwas [ humping ] this chick inckey Battlecreek named Delores...I wonder what happtened to her. and Jackey Beavers?

James Robinson3 years ago

Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 04-26-2018 at 04:20 PM.

Views: 329
Size:  21.1 KBI don't doubt what they are saying, at all. The one poster who told that he bought it when it was released [[1967) heard it in Battle Creek, Michigan. So, it was released in The Detroit Metro area [[120 miles away is often within the local distributor's reach). Smokey used to load a car with 45s and hand deliver them to stores in Chicago. Apparently, the initial pressing got 45s distributed to Detroit Area shops. But, I still contend that it was likely to have been a very small press count, and, according to Erven Dawson, it didn't even get the few hundred miles away to Cincinnati.

We were already told that it got a little airplay on a local Detroit station in a loose rotation for a couple weeks. I didn't mean to imply that it was as rare as The Frank Wilson. But, I still believe it is a rare record. The box of 250 found in the late 1970s or 1980 made it a lot less rare. Probably a run of 500 was pressed in 1967, and maybe 30-50 still exist from them, plus, the entire batch of the later 250 are in the hands of collectors or dealers. So, it's not very rare. But, it was rare in USA in 1967.

Somewhat associated with the thread, here is an apparently genuinely unreleased track by Jackey Beavers..
Views: 296
    Don Davis probably recorded 4 cuts on Jackey, the latter 2. [[including "I Can't Stop Loving You") for the 2nd [[follow-up) 45. Apparently, Davis and LeBaron Taylor decided not to take the option on the 2nd 45, for some reason.
    Last edited by robb_k; 04-27-2018 at 08:41 PM.

Robb, maybe Jackey Beavers personal history of being stationed in Battle Creek and performing there meant there was enough support or interest in him and his records locally, but not on a national basis. Possibly records were sold there, or perhaps he promoted his own record there, even giving them away...we shall never know. We do know the aforementioned Erven Dawson and Jackey Beavers [[and Johnny Bristol) were stationed at Fort Custer Battle Creek, so it is possible they were personal acquaintances.

For those interested , here are those details of Jackey Beavers in Soulfulkindamusic.

http://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/articlejbeavers.htm

For those interested , here are those details of Jackey Beavers in Soulfulkindamusic.

http://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/articlejbeavers.htm
Views: 289
    Dave Rimmer's Soulfulkindamusic is a super website, with generally great information. However, when one deals with such vast amounts of data, there are bound to be a few oversights, leading to errors. He lists Jackey Beavers' single on Chicago's [[Sebons Foster's) Nation Records as being by Georgia/Battle Creek's Jackey Beavers. However, THAT Jackey Beavers was a female singer from Chicago. All the other information is correct.

Never knew this version of this song actually existed. Especially considering that the song was originally called "Trying To Forget You" and was credited to Spyder Turner. Recorded in 1965 to boot. Listening to both versions[[unless it's an alternate vocal or work tape recorded by Jackie,but intended for Spyder)I like Spyder's [[?)take better. Jackie's vocal is very pitchy and unconvincing and I can see why Don and LeBaron didn't release it. What's puzzling even more though is that it seems he was never given a tune written with him in mind."I Need My Baby" was recorded,but shelved on Melvin Davis and Steve Mancha in 1966,a year prior to Jackie's single of the said song. "A Love That Never Grows Cold" has the same backing track as Steve Mancha's "Monday Through Thursday" and the flip "Friday Night. It seems he was given leftovers and makes me question his signing to Revilot.

Views: 263
    Jackey's "Can't Stop Lovin' You" recording on the video above clearly is unfinished, with no strings and horns tracks, and no back-up singers. Don Davis and Groovesville/Revilot/Solid Hit always added those. I wonder if something went wrong between Jackey and Don or LeBaron during the time just after "I Need My Baby" was released or just finished? It seemed that several hindrances were put in the way of any potential success of their partnership project with Jackey.