[REMOVE ADS]

Al Wilson and O.C. Smith

I know these guys have nothing to do with Detroit, but it's a music-related question, and this was the best place to post it. So...

What do you guys think about these two fine singers? They were both active in the late 60s and early 70s, and each had major top 10 singles. Al Wilson's "Show And Tell" went to #1. So, why are they seldom ever mentioned when discussing soul music?

Soulster, Al and O.C. were truly excellent, both warm baritone vocalists, impressive delivery but suffered eventually when baritone sadly went out of fashion. Both made many impressive records, but for me I am especially enamoured with their Johnny Bristol productions.... As to why they are never mentioned, I think they are in fact very well remembered and respected by soul fans elsewhere, but not necessarily on a Detroit focused forum. I do think Johnny was himself a singer in the same mould and understood so well how to really get the best out of these singers. Having said that, both singers had a series of hit records which have stood the test of time and sound as good today as when they were first released....Searching For The Dolphins, Do What You Gonna Do, Show And Tell, Going Through The Motions,The Son Of Hickory Holler's Tramp,Friend, Lover, Woman, Wife, etc etc
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 04-25-2018 at 04:12 PM.

Here's another tenor/ baritone in the same mould, again produced by Johnny Bristol. Buddy Miles
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 04-25-2018 at 04:22 PM.

And another

Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 04-25-2018 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Soulster, Al and O.C. were truly excellent, both warm baritone vocalists, impressive delivery but suffered eventually when baritone sadly went out of fashion.
    Barry White?

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I know these guys have nothing to do with Detroit, but it's a music-related question, and this was the best place to post it. So...

What do you guys think about these two fine singers? They were both active in the late 60s and early 70s, and each had major top 10 singles. Al Wilson's "Show And Tell" went to #1. So, why are they seldom ever mentioned when discussing soul music?
    They were both very good, but very underrated singers! I think I liked Al Wilson's music slightly more. His "The Snake" was a favorite of mine as a kid and now Donald Trump recites the lyrics to it at his rallies without ever giving credit to Al Wilson!

O.C. Smith was too smooth, so cool. I liked his " Hickory Hollers Tramp" and of course "Little Green Apples". I put their music in the same category as Johnny Bristol. Good, solid performances with great lyrics and little "Soul Shouting".
    Last edited by marv2; 04-25-2018 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post

I love both O.C. and Al. Very talented vocalists. I recall watching O.C. doing a fine performance of his UK hit "together" on Top of the Pops back in the late 70's, and i was delighted to see it again on youtube a week or two ago. I also recall him doing at least one album with Motown in the 80's. I have it safely stored away somewhere. I have two best of compilations on Al Wilson. Show and tell is an absolute classic soul song which was successfully revived by Peabo Bryson in the 90's. I could listen to these guys all day long. Thanks for starting a great thread soulster.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They were both very good, but very underrated singers! I think I liked Al Wilson's music slightly more. His "The Snake" was a favorite of mine as a kid and now Donald Trump recites the lyrics to it at his rallies without ever giving credit to Al Wilson!
    O.C. Smith was too smooth, so cool. I liked his " Hickory Hollers Tramp" and of course "Little Green Apples". I put their music in the same category as Johnny Bristol. Good, solid performances with great lyrics and little "Soul Shouting".
    As good as Al Wilson is, I prefer O.C. Smith. I never grew up or lived in the south, so that mindset from a Black man always interested me. What little I know about it I got from my father because he tried so hard to run away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Thanks for starting a great thread soulster.
    I get tired of talking about politics and such here [[Yeah, right! LOL!) And, I don't like being confined to talking about Motown and Detroit, and I always liked southern soul, so I thought i'd throw a spotlight on some people who are less talked about.

Hi!

Please find my O.C. Smith story below:
    http://www.soulexpress.net/ocsmith_story.htm

I interviewed Al and many others for the two-part Al Wilson story, but it appears only in our printed papers # 1-2/2005, because it actually is too long for an average internet reader - altogether 14 close print pages.

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi!

Please find my O.C. Smith story below:
    http://www.soulexpress.net/ocsmith_story.htm

I interviewed Al and many others for the two-part Al Wilson story, but it appears only in our printed papers # 1-2/2005, because it actually is too long for an average internet reader - altogether 14 close print pages.

Best regards
    Heikki
    Thank you so much for that Heikki. Very interesting stuff.

Sorry, I forgot to add Al Wilson's discography:

http://www.soulexpress.net/alwilson_discography.htm

Best regards
    Heikki

I like O.C. Smith!!! Not so familiar with Al but I love his version of "La La Peace Song" [[as I do O.C.'s... I wish a Johnny B version existed... ). I came across them through my love of Johnny's work, and also through O.C.'s 1982 Love Changes album on Motown, which Bluebrock mentions. That one, by the way, is one wonderful album, some smooth, smooth rare grooves!!!

I have read about Johnny's productions on Buddy Miles, but never listened to any. I'll try and check those ones out Mike

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I like O.C. Smith!!! Not so familiar with Al but I love his version of "La La Peace Song" [[as I do O.C.'s... I wish a Johnny B version existed... ). I came across them through my love of Johnny's work, and also through O.C.'s 1982 Love Changes album on Motown, which Bluebrock mentions. That one, by the way, is one wonderful album, some smooth, smooth rare grooves!!!

I have read about Johnny's productions on Buddy Miles, but never listened to any. I'll try and check those ones out Mike
    Expansion Records in the UK have looked into releasing O.C. 's Motown album on cd, and i think it should happen in the not too distant future Tom. I agree it is a fine album that deserves to be widely available again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Expansion Records in the UK have looked into releasing O.C. 's Motown album on cd, and i think it should happen in the not too distant future Tom. I agree it is a fine album that deserves to be widely available again.
    Ah Expansion Records, I think I have a few of their CDs actually, they're very good. I can definitely see them reissuing O.C.'s album, it's within their musical remit if you know what I mean. I'd reissue it just for "If You Knew"!!!

Anyway I shall look forward to this, thanks Bluebrock

O.C's version of The Classic IV's song "Stormy" is a really nice, hidden gem. My older brother bought the album back in the day and I happen to listen to it. Talk about a song that should have been a hit.

https://youtu.be/2GblLsYJ6T8

[QUOTE=TomatoTom123;454649]Ah Expansion Records, I think I have a few of their CDs actually, they're very good. I can definitely see them reissuing O.C.'s album, it's within their musical remit if you know what I mean. I'd reissue it just for "If You Knew"!!!
    My pleasure Tom. They do a great job of reissuing mainly 80's albums, but they also do some excellent compilations and release current independent material by artists ignored by the major record companies. They have been providing a great service to UK and worldwide soul music fans for almost 30 years. Long may they continue.

My favorite track on Al Wilson’s Searching For The Dolphins album is his cover of “Summer Rain”.