[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: I'm a Winner!

I'm a Winner!

Both are excellent, individualistic approaches. Thanks to midnightman and BigAl for sharing these.

Love them both...don't have the albums in front of me right now but sounds like an Ashford and Simpson tune.

Yes, Ashford & Simpson & would have been a huge hit by Martha, also from the same LP "It Ain't Like That" would have been the great follow up hit.

A&S could write the doggone telephone book and it would smash. That's how great their songs were.

Both Martha & Diana sizzled with these versions of this song. But I prefer Ross.

So many of those earlier Ashford/Simpson songs/arrangements were almost manically paced, pushing the music along relentlessly. I think the first of their Jobete songs I noticed was "Starting the Hurt All Over Again," by Brenda Holloway, which was the B-side to "Just Look What You've Done," and it was every bit as good. Then came Marvin & Tammi's "Ain't No Mountain," DRATS' "Some things You Never Get Used To," and other songs like "I'm A Winner," which also raced along. I liked a little of that, but was glad to see them expand their style shortly thereafter. "Reach Out and Touch" was quite different from all that fast-paced stuff. They really did hit their stride once paired with Ross, and their reworking of "Ain't No Mountain" for her was, of course, stupendous.

WOW I remember "It Ain't That".....can't believe its like that....
    Thanks for reminding me of that song. Now I got to find that LP.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    Yes, Ashford & Simpson & would have been a huge hit by Martha, also from the same LP "It Ain't Like That" would have been the great follow up hit.

There were a couple of songs on the "Black Magic" album that A & S scored with as well.
    "Running in and out of my Life" ? was one that comes to mind. A&S were magical to Diana and Martha.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    So many of those earlier Ashford/Simpson songs/arrangements were almost manically paced, pushing the music along relentlessly. I think the first of their Jobete songs I noticed was "Starting the Hurt All Over Again," by Brenda Holloway, which was the B-side to "Just Look What You've Done," and it was every bit as good. Then came Marvin & Tammi's "Ain't No Mountain," DRATS' "Some things You Never Get Used To," and other songs like "I'm A Winner," which also raced along. I liked a little of that, but was glad to see them expand their style shortly thereafter. "Reach Out and Touch" was quite different from all that fast-paced stuff. They really did hit their stride once paired with Ross, and their reworking of "Ain't No Mountain" for her was, of course, stupendous.

I can't pick a favorite; both are superb versions of a great song. I'd love someone to make a mashup of the two -

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    There were a couple of songs on the "Black Magic" album that A & S scored with as well.
    "Running in and out of my Life" ? was one that comes to mind. A&S were magical to Diana and Martha.
    "Tear It On Down" was the only A&S production on BLACK MAGIC. "In And Out Of My Life" was done by George Gordy and Lawrence Brown.

I vastly prefer Martha's I'm a Winner to Diana's. The piano does it for me!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    "Tear It On Down" was the only A&S production on BLACK MAGIC. "In And Out Of My Life" was done by George Gordy and Lawrence Brown.
    I loved Martha's version of TIOD but I think Marvin's did it more justice. Just my onion [[opinion).

I like Diana's version, Martha's is cool but I prefer Ross'. Ashford and Simpson don't get the credit they deserve for their productions IMO.