[REMOVE ADS]

... and The NY Times Review of 'Summer'

Why did you post three threads about this?

Thank you Peace/Harmony for posting all 3 reviews. I saw the show and it is a real stinker.

I agree with the New York Times analysis that Donna's husband kept the script and her image squeaky clean to the detriment of the show.

Too bad . Donna Summer's story does have depth to it, if not for the deliberate sanitizing. .

I decided not to read any reviews until I actually saw the show, which I did last night. I would agree with some of what I have read. The show is a very fast-paced ride through Summer's life and many events explored, such as her suicide attempt or the "Adam and Steve" comment, are touched upon briefly or wrapped up rather neatly, particularly the latter. Since I have read Donna's book, I knew enough about such events that I didn't need them to be fleshed out. But I could see how the fast pace might not sit well with those who would have liked more depth.

But with the Summer catalog, I still found the show to be quite enjoyable. And last night's audience was clearly in a mood to party. As soon as the turntable with a Casablanca album spinning upon it appeared on stage, I knew I was in for a good time. And it was. The performances of each of the three Donnas, particularly Ariana DeBose as Disco Donna, are very strong. It was nice to see that DeBose as well as La Chanze received Tony nominatons for their work. If the show lasts, I'll probably see it again.
    Last edited by reese; 05-11-2018 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I decided not to read any reviews until I actually saw the show, which I did last night. I would agree with some of what I have read. The show is a very fast-paced ride through Summer's life and many events explored, such as her suicide attempt or the "Adam and Steve" comment, are touched upon briefly or wrapped up rather neatly, particularly the latter. Since I have read Donna's book, I knew enough about such events that I didn't need them to be fleshed out. But I could see how the fast pace might not sit well with those who would have liked more depth.

But with the Summer catalog, I still found the show to be quite enjoyable. And last night's audience was clearly in a mood to party. As soon as the turntable with a Casablanca album spinning upon it appeared on stage, I knew I was in for a good time. And it was. The performances of each of the three Donnas, particularly Ariana DeBose as Disco Donna, are very strong. It was nice to see that DeBose as well as La Chanze received Tony nominatons for their work. If the show lasts, I'll probably see it again.
    Nice to hear; which era does La Chanze portray? And was the theatre full?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Nice to hear; which era does La Chanze portray? And was the theatre full?
    La Chanze is Diva Donna, and also plays Donna's mother. Diva Donna is the mature Donna, looking back on her life. She is the narrator of the story and guides us along. [[There is also "Duckling Donna" and "Disco Donna". They all appear throughout the play and sometimes all at once.)

Honestly, I don't know if the theater was full, but it was definitely a large, enthusiastic crowd, with quite a few "Donna"s as well as "Donny"s singing along. :-)

LaChanze garnered a great ovation after her performance of FRIENDS UNKNOWN.
    Last edited by reese; 05-11-2018 at 07:12 PM.