[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    In all seriousness, robb_k is one of most special and unique people I've encountered on the web. I learn something that's mind blowing from almost every one of his posts. I've got his back, too.

Robb, if you need me to lie for you in court, give me a head's up!
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  21.1 KB
    Thanks for the support. But, I'm not alone on this forum. There are several of us speaking out against the corporate [[big money) interests and how their activities are hurting the basic populations. We're probably ALL on their "enemies list". Like during The McCarthy era, one of us speaking up for another isn't going to carry any weight. We've just got to do our best to make sure that ultra right wing governments don't take over in our "Western countries" [[USA, UK, Canada, France, Germany being the most important, in that regard.

I was only kidding about the court part. If you're going to be arrested for the things you say and support, I'll probably be your cellmate because I have a lot of the same opinions and I'm not shy about stating them. We're not the only people who see that we're at a historical tipping point and alarmed at how easily the US and England [[in particular, other countries more generally) have permitted the voices of hate and intolerance to be heard the loudest.

But that's only one of the reasons that I appreciate you. Your perspective and worldview are remarkable, coming from someone who has experienced living in several countries. Your recollections of your life as a child and your experiences make me almost jealous. If we ever sat down, all that I would say would be questions, you'd do 90% of the talking and I'd come away from it better for what I learned from you.

Not like Jai, who would send me away confused and wondering how I lost a few million brain cells in such a short time from drinking such a small amount of hooch. Or soulster, with whom I would no doubt wind up arguing even though we agree on 98% of everything. We'd find the 2%. LOL. And marv, with whom I share a lot of the same experiences [[although I'm jealous of the many places that he's gathered his).

Lots of great people on this particular forum.

Views: 367
    I wonder why the original poster [[LoganJlr), who asked about the history of this website, and its members, and how it works, didn't comment on our answers to his questions. It would be nice to find out whether he got what he was looking for.
    Last edited by robb_k; 05-08-2018 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    I wonder why the original poster [[LoganJlr), who asked about the history of this website, and its members, and how it works, didn't comment on our answers to his questions. It would be nice to find out whether he got what he was looking for.
    Could he have been a pretender? I don't know, just asking......

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    i was only kidding about the court part. If you're going to be arrested for the things you say and support, i'll probably be your cellmate because i have a lot of the same opinions and i'm not shy about stating them. We're not the only people who see that we're at a historical tipping point and alarmed at how easily the us and england [[in particular, other countries more generally) have permitted the voices of hate and intolerance to be heard the loudest.

But that's only one of the reasons that i appreciate you. Your perspective and worldview are remarkable, coming from someone who has experienced living in several countries. Your recollections of your life as a child and your experiences make me almost jealous. If we ever sat down, all that i would say would be questions, you'd do 90% of the talking and i'd come away from it better for what i learned from you.

Not like jai, who would send me away confused and wondering how i lost a few million brain cells in such a short time from drinking such a small amount of hooch. Or soulster, with whom i would no doubt wind up arguing even though we agree on 98% of everything. We'd find the 2%. Lol. And marv, with whom i share a lot of the same experiences [[although i'm jealous of the many places that he's gathered his).

why thank you jerry for mentioning me in your heartfelt constitutional.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    why thank you jerry for mentioning me in your heartfelt constitutional.
    If I claim anybody that I've never met as a friend, it's you partner. Our conversations are brief vacations from the real world. Since we're virtual pals, I'm sending you a virtual Atlanta Falcons tee shirt since I know you're now a big fan and want you to look presentable.

Don't spill any hooch on it. Virtual or not, that stuff will burn holes in it and I'm virtually broke as it is.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa...jerry,you're virtually my hero!!

The government already knows us anyway but with 2018 culture, real names might actually have dangerous consequences. I prefer using a screen name so I can tell a nut that he's nutty!

I had an interesting debate with a guy where I told him that people on message boards were fake because they said things that they'd never say in real life. He kind of agreed with me, but he said that they were fake in real life because they wouldn't post some of the thoughts that creep out if they didn't really feel them. He was actually right.

There are more evil people on message boards and Twitter and Facebook than it seems to be in the real world. Social media is like booze and drugs; it won't make you say something you don't feel. It just eases your inhibition about saying it.
    I disagree. In my experience, if people are dicks on message boards and on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, they are dicks in real life, too.

I think he was a troll.

Or soulster, with whom I would no doubt wind up arguing even though we agree on 98% of everything. We'd find the 2%. LOL.

I'm the kind of guy who would kind of sit away from the table and just listen, shake my head, and roll my eyes, and jump in when someone said something terribly wrong or stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I'm the kind of guy who would kind of sit away from the table and just listen, shake my head, and roll my eyes, and jump in when someone said something terribly wrong or stupid.
    I'm guilty of plenty of both. But our politics are similar as are our musical preferences [[although I'm nowhere close to being an audiophile). When we disagree, it's because of our opinions about the things we agree on. But 90% of the times that we do, my opinion isn't strongly opposed to yours. I sometimes like to dig in and debate even if I don't really care what I'm fighting over. But to my credit, I'm a knucklehead like that in real life, too.

I'm guilty of plenty of both. But our politics are similar as are our musical preferences [[although I'm nowhere close to being an audiophile). When we disagree, it's because of our opinions about the things we agree on. But 90% of the times that we do, my opinion isn't strongly opposed to yours. I sometimes like to dig in and debate even if I don't really care what I'm fighting over. But to my credit, I'm a knucklehead like that in real life, too.
    I think you are just a little bit more extreme in political positions than I am.

I will always be an audiophile. I cannot help but pay attention to sound quality. It's just the way my brain works. I want to reiterate right here that being an audiophile does not mean you go out and spend $5,000 on a turntable, $2,000 on a cart, $10,000 on an amp, and $30,000 on speakers. It just means that you understand and appreciate quality sound reproduction, and what it takes to get there.

But, amen for having strong convictions. I am too! At least we have Trumpster to unite us!

MY positions are more extreme? Ehh... Maybe. But they're also right! LOL!

And I would be an audiophile too but I have tinnitus and also cannot hear high frequencies. Consequently, even hearing aids won't permit me to enjoy the finer points of music production that many of you probably take for granted. It blows my mind when I hear a remastered song and a piano or cymbal hit is accentuated that I never heard in the original.

Hey jerry,i'm gonna send you a snootful of this wonderful elixir[it cures tinnitus-i think]if not you still won't feel a thing.

Feel, see, hear, taste or smell. Like a thermonuclear bomb going off in my brain. The oral version of sniffing gasoline for half the price per gallon [[$2.89 yesterday).
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 05-21-2018 at 02:59 PM.

The Spirit of the Old, Original Soulful Detroit Forum lives HERE! Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    the spirit of the old, original soulful detroit forum lives here! Yeah!
    dang right marv,the clubhouse is the most fun place in all the internet with nothing but legends..you-jerry-west-moe-144man-tomato tom-robb-ms.m[wit her fine self]soulster-stubass,and ralph knows that he won't have to police us,because we're having to much fun to know if we're arguing or not,hehehe..i looooooooove this place!!!

dang right marv,the clubhouse is the most fun place in all the internet with nothing but legends..you-jerry-west-moe-144man-tomato tom-robb-ms.m[wit her fine self]soulster-stubass,and ralph knows that he won't have to police us,because we're having to much fun to know if we're arguing or not,hehehe..i looooooooove this place!!!
    HEY! I'm a legend too.........in my mind! LOL!!!

Well, I wouldn't go as far as you do with some of your choices. Some of them are caustic.

But, what I do like is that this is the only forum where I can talk left-wing politics without the usual far-right trolls and mods.

Hey arr&bee, thanks for the shoutout!!! You are a legend too of course!!!!

In all honesty, I love The Club House. Never a problem. Just a bunch of crazy [[yeah, you know who you are)people having a good time. I even got used to the elephants.

Yeah, Ralph. They are crazy. But thank goodness you and I bring our sanity to this madhouse to balance it out.

Problem is, not many people understand our "sanity" Jerry.

Ok...who let the sanity in???

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Could he have been a pretender? I don't know, just asking......

I think he was a troll.
    Hey there guys! I'm still here and willing to conversate. I just saw the thread turn into a bit of personal conversation amongst those who clearly know eachother better than I do, so I sort of let it take its own path. I haven't been posting recently due to my own life distractions, but I still lurk.

Sorry for the disappointment.

I just felt I had nothing more to add after my questions were answered and I was redirected by Soulster who made some good points. No malice against anyone, I'm not a faker no matter what you think and I stand my ground on that; I just feel I don't need to continue to participate in a conversation to which I have nothing more to add.

I do appreciate everyone who took the time to post here and humor me.

Attachment 14158
    [[3) You should have been here between when we started in 2001, and 2010 or so. We had LOTS of ex Motowners posting occasionally, and several regularly. We had ex-Funk Brothers Bob Babbitt, and Denis Coffey, as regular posters; Jack Ashford and Joe Hunter made a few posts. We had legendary Motown sound engineer, Mike McLean, as a regular poster, as well as Ralph and Russ Terrana, and Bob Ohlsson, as was producer, Clay MacMurray, and Weldon McDougall. We also had marketing dept head, Al Abrams post here for awhile. I, myself, worked for Motown during the 1970s. We also had visits from singers Frances Nero, Tommy Good, and several more. Spyder Turner [[Detroit Soul singer-but never with Motown) as a longtime regular. We had a lot more who posted here who had been active in Detroit and/or Motown's 1960s Detroit Soul scene. But, being pretty old, myself, I can't remember exactly who they were. We had several other ex-Motown artists, who were friends or acquaintances of Forum members, who visited here to answer our questions. Ron Murphy, 1960s-2000s Detroit Soul producer, label owner, record masterer, was a major regular here. We also had several major Detroit record collectors here, early in this forum's history [[2001-2007 or so). But, several of them are now deceased, and others are busy with other pursuits. In those days, we had a LOT of great threads about Detroit Soul and Motown, full of technical information about recording, what went on during recording sessions, inside history of Motown and Detroit Soul, to the point that I was very active and interested in 85-90% of all this forum's threads new posts EVERY DAY! Nowadays, I'm only interested in a new post maybe once every few weeks [[other than the ongoing nostalgia thread). We rarely get am historical thread about record companies, or what happened in specific situations back in the 1960s, or record collecting. We had a lot of super threads for those subjects back in 2001-2005 or so. Unfortunately, we lost many of them in late 2004, when Lowell upgraded [[modernised) this website's format.

[[2) Yes, we have a few younger Motown and Soul music fans here.

[[1) I don't know if this is the best forum for Motown Oldies discussion. But, I haven't found a better one. If one exists, I'd join it for sure. We have as regular members, representatives of Universal Motown, who work on packaging Motown CD and digital releases. So, our Motown Forum is probably the best place to find out about Motown oldies and previously unreleased new releases.

I don't believe there is much lying and story fabrication on this forum, although there probably is some [[in the personal stories section of The Motown forum). But most of it is likely true to some degree. I've known some of the Detroit and L.A. Motown people personally, and they are the real people they say they are. Ron Murphy was a friend of mine, and he knew many of the Detroit-based, posters here, and if people were "posing" as having connections to Detroit Soul and Motown, back in the day, he'd have caught them red handed, and exposed them. I knew Mike McLean personally. He was a great asset to this forum in the early days. He would have called out anyone who had falsely claimed to have had a connection to Motown back in the '60s.
    In the Motown forum, there MAY be a bit of exaggeration about the level of "friendship" some of the fans have or had with Motown stars. But, maybe not. Most of the problem on that forum is more of a "catty" arguing over which Motown figure is better, nicer, or right or wrong in so-called disputes. Some posters there are too far into "hero worship", in my opinion.
    If this was reddit, I would definitely upvote this post. Thanks for the specifics!
    Last edited by loganjlr; 05-25-2018 at 04:10 AM.

LOL. That "personal conversation" probably answers a lot of your questions, Junior. Things go well around here if you have thick skin and logical opinions because if you suggest something that is silly or just not accurate [[or rubs someone the wrong way), expect to hear about the [[perceived) error of your ways. Do your best not to make replies personal or take umbrage to a terse response and things will go well. A lot of posters are like me and come around because I still learn interesting things that I somehow missed in 56 years of working on the soundtrack and liner notes of my life. Maybe it'll work that way for you as well.

I don't care about Diana Ross, either. And, like you, I also have a lot of strong opinions that go against the majority of this forum, but, not always as strong as my man Jerry! Though I think you have some pretty misguided views on some things, you still have a right to say them as long as you do not insult people.

You and I are always going to disagree on Bill Cosby's accusers. And, I stay far away from any Supremes/Diana Ross type threads. I don't want to see that stupid shit. I don't care to, and don't have time for it.

We have had lots of newbies sign up on this forum and go straight after you right away. The mere mention of your name from the outset brings suspicion.
    Soulster. You can see now what I said was pretty accurate.