[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb A few questions about the forum culture

Hi there, everyone! Since I joined, I've been truly enlightened by the information I've gained. Some of you regulars who have been here for years might see this forum as a bunch of loose conversation about times long past, but for a 23 year-old journalist who is obsessed with information and oldies, I'm so glad I found this place. As someone who grew up in the forum culture of the early 00s, I really enjoy the casual conversational style that persisted while the rest of the internet devolved to communicate in small bursts.

So, I'm a blunt guy and have a few questions about the culture of this forum. Some of you might say "wait around and see," but here we go:

1. Is this the *ultimate* source for Motown / oldies discussion and information?

I've been an avid oldies fan [[1960s - 1980s is my specialty, but I also enjoy early 20th century scores, soundtracks and novelty material) but I haven't had an outlet for conversation since most of my peers don't relate and/or I haven't been able to find forums like this.

I imagine since most fans of older music are older, most of these types of communities would exist on a forum basis. Are there any other forums you can point me to with as much life as this forum, or close to it? Maybe a Phil Spector forum, 60s/70s rock forum, etc etc

2. Are there any younger folks like me on here [[age 18 - 35)?

*When I mention age, I am sincerely not trying to be ageist to the wonderful forum veterans. I usually mention that trait about myself so fellow members are aware that most of my info is second-hand historian style, and that I admittedly don't know as much as other members who LIVED through it. To me, I see it as respect because I sincerely came here to learn more and gain new perspectives, and I think it could be fair to let people know of my own perspective that might be influenced by my age.

3. Are there former Motown employees / insiders / family / artists / etc who frequent this forum?

I've been skimming through posts from the past and present, and have encountered discussions of people telling their legendary stories involving Motown icons and behind-the-scenes info I wouldn't have gained from books or anywhere else. I know people have the ability to lie on the internet, but I genuinely hope some of the tales people have told are honest.

4. How catty are we allowed to get? LOL

You know the answer to this question, but I do mean this in part jest. I've seen plenty of off-topic bickering between members with seniority and certain members who have gained notorious reputations. Who are the moderators?! What do I have to do to avoid being blacklisted by the conversational core members here?

Edit: What's your guys' deal with Marv?

5. What publications do you guys frequent?

To expand on specificity of that question, what publications do you frequently get your "oldies / Motown" news from? As a journalist, I look for publications where I can possibly apply my own passion to subjects, and vinyl collecting / classics / oldies have been one of them. Is the oldies internet community mostly relegated to forums since these topics aren't considered "newsworthy" anymore, or are there blogs you folks read that dish out interesting facts, older album reviews, etc?

Thanks in advanced
    Last edited by loganjlr; 04-23-2018 at 07:29 AM.

1. I don't know if it's the ultimate source of Motown information, but there are people here who have forgotten more about the history of Motown and soul music than the history books ever included. It's casual, too. They'll just mention their experiences with classic artists in the course of random conversations.
    2. I can't say how many younger folks are here. I'm definitely not one.
    3. The forum isn't as active as it used to be but there once were tons of experienced music vets here. I'm sure you'll find a few more, especially on the Soulful Detroit forum. Nowadays, if you check the bottom of the page, you'll find a hundred people viewing, but only a handful contributing. Which is a shame, IMO.
    4. There are no filters. One reason why there are fewer contributors [[besides so many getting too old and others dying) is the fact that arguments and heated debates used to get extremely personal and a lot of folks got turned off. I haven't seen one of those threads in a couple of years, though. You can say what's on your mind, but be aware that if it seems like it's a personal shot [[and not in jest), someone will respond in kind. Choose those words wisely! Hint: Do not use the words "Diana" and "Ross" without immediately following them with praise for her highness.
    5. I don't frequent any publications these days. With the web, the world is wide open for information. I used to subscribe to Billboard, Rolling Stone and Downbeat when I spent my time turning pages instead of opening websites. I get most of my information on music from Twitter, to be honest.

Welcome, young man! I hope you enjoy what you find here. If you're big on Motown, the Motown forum is fantastic but they brook no fools and don't shy from letting you know if they think you're full of crap. The Soulful Detroit forum is where I find a lot of old head industry vets who know a lot about the industry. And the Clubhouse is just where anything goes.

Glad to have you, Logan.

Hi Logan, Jerry has excellently answered all your questions for you there, but I might add a few things.

Firstly, I am a young person like you! I don't think there are that many active youngsters on the forum, I think I know of one or two others. Of course most fans of Motown music are gonna be older. So yeah I totally understand not having peers to discuss this stuff with, heck I even struggle with my parents sometimes!! This forum is a really good place to discuss Motown with people who also like Motown and, crucially, know what you're going on about.

For me Soulful Detroit is the only thing I use to get "Motown news". I subscribe to a monthly CD newsletter which has info on new releases of soul music [[past and present) but that's about it. Can I ask Logan are you into today's music? Or strictly an oldies fan?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    1. I don't know if it's the ultimate source of Motown information, but there are people here who have forgotten more about the history of Motown and soul music than the history books ever included. It's casual, too. They'll just mention their experiences with classic artists in the course of random conversations.
    3. The forum isn't as active as it used to be but there once were tons of experienced music vets here. I'm sure you'll find a few more, especially on the Soulful Detroit forum. Nowadays, if you check the bottom of the page, you'll find a hundred people viewing, but only a handful contributing. Which is a shame, IMO.
    4. There are no filters. One reason why there are fewer contributors [[besides so many getting too old and others dying) is the fact that arguments and heated debates used to get extremely personal and a lot of folks got turned off. I haven't seen one of those threads in a couple of years, though. You can say what's on your mind, but be aware that if it seems like it's a personal shot [[and not in jest), someone will respond in kind. Choose those words wisely! Hint: Do not use the words "Diana" and "Ross" without immediately following them with praise for her highness.
    5. I don't frequent any publications these days. With the web, the world is wide open for information. I used to subscribe to Billboard, Rolling Stone and Downbeat when I spent my time turning pages instead of opening websites. I get most of my information on music from Twitter, to be honest.

Welcome, young man! I hope you enjoy what you find here. If you're big on Motown, the Motown forum is fantastic but they brook no fools and don't shy from letting you know if they think you're full of crap. The Soulful Detroit forum is where I find a lot of old head industry vets who know a lot about the industry. And the Clubhouse is just where anything goes.

Glad to have you, Logan.
    Hi Jerry, can I ask, do you ever use the Motown forum? I know post on the Clubhouse but I don't think I've seen you in the Motown forum. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by loganjlr View Post

So, I'm a blunt guy and have a few questions about the culture of this forum. Some of you might say "wait around and see," but here we go:
    We can be very blunt, too! I've been here since the beginning of this forum, but had to re-register because of a software glitch of something.

1. Is this the *ultimate* source for Motown / oldies discussion and information?
    No. You do have Motown people who look in on this forum in particular, and one or two may even post here, but, this is mostly a fan site. If you want technical specifics, I recommend http://www.top40musiconcd.com/. The guys there are very obsessively detailed about all pop music recordings. A couple of engineers hang out there. Another place where the people are technically inclined, there is http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/ Those guys like to talk about pressings, stampers, tape formulations, consoles, as well as the fan stuff. The bunch here is good about the human side of it.

I've been an avid oldies fan [[1960s - 1980s is my specialty, but I also enjoy early 20th century scores, soundtracks and novelty material) but I haven't had an outlet for conversation since most of my peers don't relate and/or I haven't been able to find forums like this.
    There is one more place I could recommend, but a lot of them are a bunch of old bigots. I just got kicked out of there for criticizing Trump and his supporters on an anti-Ted Nugent thread, and right before that happened, they had started talking about "crooked" Hillary. And, they don't like politics. Sheesh!

I imagine since most fans of older music are older, most of these types of communities would exist on a forum basis. Are there any other forums you can point me to with as much life as this forum, or close to it? Maybe a Phil Spector forum, 60s/70s rock forum, etc etc
    I love all kinds of oldies music, but find that this place concentrates on R&B, especially R&B from Detroit, hence the name. As far as i'm concerned, Detroit includes Grand Funk Railroad, Glen Frey, and Bob Seger, but no one really talks about them here. Go figure...

I spend most of my music talking time at the aforementioned Steve Hoffman site. Those guys don't care too much about soul music beyond Stevie Wonder or Marvin Gaye, but I get to talk about them, and anything else pertaining to pop music.

I'm sure there are a couple of them, but I think most people fall in the over 50 crowd. I'm 55, just in time to enjoy Motown's golden era first-hand.

*When I mention age, I am sincerely not trying to be ageist to the wonderful forum veterans. I usually mention that trait about myself so fellow members are aware that most of my info is second-hand historian style, and that I admittedly don't know as much as other members who LIVED through it. To me, I see it as respect because I sincerely came here to learn more and gain new perspectives, and I think it could be fair to let people know of my own perspective that might be influenced by my age.
    I think it's great to have millennials here. helps liven things up. I like to hear different perspectives and experiences.

3. Are there former Motown employees / insiders / family / artists / etc who frequent this forum?
    Indeed! This place has many music vets, but, it's also a place that is clannish. many of the old-timers know and worked with each other back in the day. I don't, as I grew up way outside of the circle, and am younger. In fact, a few of the veterans seem to have a problem with where I come from. LOL! Very tribal here.

4. How catty are we allowed to get? LOL
    We are supposed to be respectful here, but some longtime members are diplomacy-challenged. They don't know how to express their opinions without sarcasm, hostility, and insulting other members.

You know the answer to this question, but I do mean this in part jest. I've seen plenty of off-topic bickering between members with seniority and certain members who have gained notorious reputations. Who are the moderators?! What do I have to do to avoid being blacklisted by the conversational core members here?
    There is one moderator, and that is Ralph Terrana. He doesn't like babysitting grown adults.

Edit: What's your guys' deal with Marv?
    I am starting to wonder what your true purpose here is. That you would come out and ask specifically about marv, and wonder about how far you can go with the insults raises flags. Could you be a banned person trying to come back as a new member?

5. What publications do you guys frequent?

To expand on specificity of that question, what publications do you frequently get your "oldies / Motown" news from? As a journalist, I look for publications where I can possibly apply my own passion to subjects, and vinyl collecting / classics / oldies have been one of them. Is the oldies internet community mostly relegated to forums since these topics aren't considered "newsworthy" anymore, or are there blogs you folks read that dish out interesting facts, older album reviews, etc?
    I may ask: what is your goal here as a journalist?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hi Logan, Jerry has excellently answered all your questions for you there, but I might add a few things.

Firstly, I am a young person like you! I don't think there are that many active youngsters on the forum, I think I know of one or two others. Of course most fans of Motown music are gonna be older. So yeah I totally understand not having peers to discuss this stuff with, heck I even struggle with my parents sometimes!! This forum is a really good place to discuss Motown with people who also like Motown and, crucially, know what you're going on about.

For me Soulful Detroit is the only thing I use to get "Motown news". I subscribe to a monthly CD newsletter which has info on new releases of soul music [[past and present) but that's about it. Can I ask Logan are you into today's music? Or strictly an oldies fan?

Tom
    Carlo is real young. He was like the baby when he started here.

Glad to have you, Logan.
    Great post Jerry and Welcome Logan!

Hi Jerry, can I ask, do you ever use the Motown forum? I know post on the Clubhouse but I don't think I've seen you in the Motown forum. Just curious.
    Very seldom. I'm a big fan of Motown but when I joined, I quickly learned that I'm out of my league there. If I want to learn about Motown, that is the first place that I go, though. I spend more time right here and on the SD forum because I also love other types of soul music [[especially Memphis and Muscle Shoals). BTW: the last time I went to Motown, another donnybrook broke out and those threads are exhausting. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    We can be very blunt, too! I've been here since the beginning of this forum, but had to re-register because of a software glitch of something.

No. You do have Motown people who look in on this forum in particular, and one or two may even post here, but, this is mostly a fan site. If you want technical specifics, I recommend http://www.top40musiconcd.com/. The guys there are very obsessively detailed about all pop music recordings. A couple of engineers hang out there. Another place where the people are technically inclined, there is http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/ Those guys like to talk about pressings, stampers, tape formulations, consoles, as well as the fan stuff. The bunch here is good about the human side of it.

There is one more place I could recommend, but a lot of them are a bunch of old bigots. I just got kicked out of there for criticizing Trump and his supporters on an anti-Ted Nugent thread, and right before that happened, they had started talking about "crooked" Hillary. And, they don't like politics. Sheesh!

I love all kinds of oldies music, but find that this place concentrates on R&B, especially R&B from Detroit, hence the name. As far as i'm concerned, Detroit includes Grand Funk Railroad, Glen Frey, and Bob Seger, but no one really talks about them here. Go figure...

I spend most of my music talking time at the aforementioned Steve Hoffman site. Those guys don't care too much about soul music beyond Stevie Wonder or Marvin Gaye, but I get to talk about them, and anything else pertaining to pop music.

I'm sure there are a couple of them, but I think most people fall in the over 50 crowd. I'm 55, just in time to enjoy Motown's golden era first-hand.

I think it's great to have millennials here. helps liven things up. I like to hear different perspectives and experiences.

Indeed! This place has many music vets, but, it's also a place that is clannish. many of the old-timers know and worked with each other back in the day. I don't, as I grew up way outside of the circle, and am younger. In fact, a few of the veterans seem to have a problem with where I come from. LOL! Very tribal here.

We are supposed to be respectful here, but some longtime members are diplomacy-challenged. They don't know how to express their opinions without sarcasm, hostility, and insulting other members.

There is one moderator, and that is Ralph Terrana. He doesn't like babysitting grown adults.

I am starting to wonder what your true purpose here is. That you would come out and ask specifically about marv, and wonder about how far you can go with the insults raises flags. Could you be a banned person trying to come back as a new member?

I may ask: what is your goal here as a journalist?
    I knew this sort of post I made would raise suspicion, and I'll happily divulge:

I only mention my background as a journalist because writing is integral to who I am and my life. My ONLY purpose for coming onto this forum is for recreational purposes and to talk with others about passion-related things that have been on my mind. I also mentioned it because I thought it would help me easier connect with other blogs and writing materials I might find interesting on the topics at hand. I do a lot of reading in my free time, printed and otherwise.

Second, with the question about Marv and the cattiness, it was mostly in jest. It was mainly sarcasm pointedly directed at the folks who turn some of these posts into entertaining personal conflicts. I DO NOT know anyone from this forum and have never knowingly interacted with people on here from other spheres of the internet. I simply inquired about him personally as an example since I noticed a lot of the members here seem to bag on his opinions as soon as he shows up [[this statement is made not knowing his or other members' private history). He isn't the only one of course; if you take a quick dive into past posts, you can easily spot the "cults of personality" dotted around

Before this topic gained responses, I sort of knew I was traveling into "careful" territory by naming members with only 11 posts under my belt. I realized I constructed a lot of above post with a mix of zeal and poor judgement, but I try to be the type of guy who doesn't walk back on his words and just live with the repercussions I caused for myself.

EDIT: I forgot to thank you for the information you gave as well. Ive lurked on the Steve Hoffman forum once or twice and found some good posts relating to Dionne. The decline of her voice has somewhat been an obsession with me

Glad to have you, Logan.
    I appreciate it, Jerry! Thank you! Luckily for me, I am a huge 70s Supremes fan, but I've participated in fandoms where there are those sort of unspoken rules. I obviously have my own views on Ms. Ross, but they are strictly from a musical standpoint/preference and DRATS still give me immense joy.

Tom
    I actually am as well! my journey with the oldies started with my upraising. I grew up with my grandparents who played lots of 70s adult contemporary as well as folk / singer-songwriter pop of the day. Around the age of 12, I began "tag saling" [[as we call it in Connecticut) with my aunt and uncle, who would help me scour for new vinyl at estate sales and garage sales.

On terms of modern music, it's sort of been a mix of where I've been and where I am now. My mother has always followed the trends of every pop star, so I've been surrounded and infatuated with pop culture, both past and present. Much of my predilection to pop came from my own admiration of "divas" as a gay man; I love Madonna, Kylie Minogue, Judy Garland, Lady Gaga, very strong female figures who made an impact on the way my mind works. I enjoy a lot of indie singer-songwriters, folk singers, and even rap [[but I typically go for the more melancholy material like Kendrick, Kanye or Kid Cudi). It's sort of been a hoge poge because my music tastes are still being influenced by the music I write about. I unintentionally got sucked into the dance music scene within Arizona when I first became a journalist, and have been considered a "raver" since. I also got sucked into the metal scene when I started befriending those in other sub cultures.

If you want a trademark for my music tastes though, I LOVE LOVE LOVE novelty music. Gimme some Jayne Mansfield, Divine, Meri Wilson [[not the Supremes edition, check the spelling LOL), and albums considered obscure. William Shatner? I'll go for it. Old hollywood glamorpusses like Marlene and Tallulah who recorded music on the side? Gimme that.

My love of music ties into my love of history and information. I love the "weird" entries from artists' careers, novelty bands, one-off projects, and odd tid-bit. If you want my favorites, you'll just have to start naming names and then we get into the nitty gritty!

Also, not meaning to advertise, but here's a link to my portfolio for the sake of not appearing full of shit: http://www.loganjlr.wordpress.com

Edit 2: condensed all my responses
    Last edited by loganjlr; 04-24-2018 at 05:26 AM.

Hey logan,welcome,you're gonna love this place as someone said ralph let's us be adults,of course i try to stay as far away from that as possible[you can smile here]but there is much music knowledge here and you can laugh too,just come over to the clubhouse where i hang out...i'm yours truly-or not-arr n bee!!

Cool

Second, with the question about Marv and the cattiness, it was mostly in jest. It was mainly sarcasm pointedly directed at the folks who turn some of these posts into entertaining personal conflicts.
    From my experience on the forum, marv may come up with some outrageous/trolling posts, but I do not see him as starting things. Today, if I see a thread or post that makes me want to go after him, I don't. I just back away. I don't have the time. It would be nice if everyone showed that level of restraint on this forum. Someone attacked me a week or two ago about my assertion that jazz music is in decline. They couldn't just say that they disagree and diplomatically state why. Nooooo. They had to get hostile and insulting. That happens a lot around here. Personally, I think it's because i'm not "Black" enough for them, and I don't fit into their little clique. What? Are we still in high school and college?

I realized I constructed a lot of above post with a mix of zeal and poor judgement, but I try to be the type of guy who doesn't walk back on his words and just live with the repercussions I caused for myself.
    Being a veteran of internet forums of 20 years, and having been a moderator of a couple of them, I will be blunt and say that this is the kind of attitude that causes problems.

EDIT: I forgot to thank you for the information you gave as well. Ive lurked on the Steve Hoffman forum once or twice and found some good posts relating to Dionne. The decline of her voice has somewhat been an obsession with me
    I grew up hearing my sister's Dionne Warwick's 60s albums. Gotta admit, i'm a bigger Aretha Franklin fan. I prefer her classic 60s albums on Atlantic.

I actually am as well! my journey with the oldies started with my upraising. I grew up with my grandparents who played lots of 70s adult contemporary as well as folk / singer-songwriter pop of the day. Around the age of 12, I began "tag saling" [[as we call it in Connecticut) with my aunt and uncle, who would help me scour for new vinyl at estate sales and garage sales.
    Cool!

Also, not meaning to advertise, but here's a link to my portfolio for the sake of not appearing full of shit: http://www.loganjlr.wordpress.com
    That link was blocked by my browser saying it was a phishing site that could steal my personal information. I did not continue.

Sorry man! You're still suspect. You keep saying all the forum-friendly things, and i'm a very distrusting Scorpio.

From my experience on the forum, marv may come up with some outrageous/trolling posts, but I do not see him as starting things. Today, if I see a thread or post that makes me want to go after him, I don't. I just back away. I don't have the time. It would be nice if everyone showed that level of restraint on this forum. Someone attacked me a week or two ago about my assertion that jazz music is in decline. They couldn't just say that they disagree and diplomatically state why. Nooooo. They had to get hostile and insulting. That happens a lot around here. Personally, I think it's because i'm not "Black" enough for them, and I don't fit into their little clique. What? Are we still in high school and college?

Being a veteran of internet forums of 20 years, and having been a moderator of a couple of them, I will be blunt and say that this is the kind of attitude that causes problems.

I grew up hearing my sister's Dionne Warwick's 60s albums. Gotta admit, i'm a bigger Aretha Franklin fan. I prefer her classic 60s albums on Atlantic.

Cool!

That link was blocked by my browser saying it was a phishing site that could steal my personal information. I did not continue.

Sorry man! You're still suspect. You keep saying all the forum-friendly things, and i'm a very distrusting Scorpio.
    That is disheartening. I’m looking into the issue now. It’s literally the most simple of Wordpress pages to display my work.

On the subject of what I said above, I actually thought you would find that refreshing. There’s so many people in forum culture that deny what they said and try to clean up the dirt they made, but I’m the type of guy who WILL clean up the filth he made, apologize for it, and own up to it. I treat my communication online with similar integrity that I do in person. Maybe you misunderstood, but what’s wrong with that?

Edit: posting a link to my Facebook to verify my identity in your book. Aside from my claimed credentials, look at all the cute pictures of me and my boyfriend

https://www.facebook.com/1466934978
    Last edited by loganjlr; 04-25-2018 at 01:21 PM.

That is disheartening. I’m looking into the issue now. It’s literally the most simple of Wordpress pages to display my work.
    Random sites are often infected with malware. Wordpress is notorious for that. I could fire up the VM and look at it, but I uninstalled it in prep for cloning my boot drive. I plan on finally switching to an SSD.

There’s so many people in forum culture that deny what they said and try to clean up the dirt they made,
    Yup. There's an old guy in his 80s on a music forum I just got booted from that is notorious for making overt political statements about his conservative beliefs. When he's called on it, he denies it and deletes all of his posts in the thread so there will be no evidence unless someone quotes the posts.

but I’m the type of guy who WILL clean up the filth he made, apologize for it, and own up to it.
    Which is the opposite of what you posted above in post #19:

I realized I constructed a lot of above post with a mix of zeal and poor judgement, but I try to be the type of guy who doesn't walk back on his words and just live with the repercussions I caused for myself.

I treat my communication online with similar integrity that I do in person. Maybe you misunderstood, but what’s wrong with that?

Edit: posting a link to my Facebook to verify my identity in your book. Aside from my claimed credentials, look at all the cute pictures of me and my boyfriend

https://www.facebook.com/1466934978
    I don't do Facebook. I'm not giving Mark Zuckerberg any info for him to give or sell to the highest bidder.

I'll probably quit FB soon. I use it to keep up with my oldest and farthest removed friends, whom I see every decade or so. With that said, I don't put any photos up and other than my birthday, there is no personal info on my page. No job [[I'm retired anyway), no city, no civic connections. I'm always amazed when people post that they're going to a concert the next day, unaware that crooks hang out on FB and will rob them if they have a clue that they'll be gone for a few hours. They do it for funerals, too.

I joined Facebook well aware that they were an information repository and broker. That's why their IPO was the most lucrative in history; their prospectus was not about the things people can do on social media but about how it could be monetized. Anybody who is surprised that Zuckerberg is a traitorous thief hasn't been paying attention. My opinion of him hasn't lowered an inch because he is who he ever was.

Lastly, Facebook is interesting for a momentary escape, but Lord does it dumb people down. Fake news posts still pop up with regularity and people who should know better still cosign and like things that are obviously propaganda. I'm talking stuff that should be obvious to anybody who watches the news and pays attention. Personally, I get more news from Twitter, which is just as complicit as FB [[along with YouTube, Reddit, InstaGram and especially 4chan) but unfortunately the best repository for current news available.

Yep. If you said it, own it. If it requires clarification because you didn't post what you meant to post, then by all means clarify it. But don't pretend not to hold that opinion because it upsets someone. And if, by chance, a discussion changes your mind then it's cool. But what's the point of a message board if you can't express yourself? I love some of the people on this site and many others, but I don't know them. I reserve the right to disagree with them and if they drop some BS, I reserve the right to drop rebuttal.

That's one of the reasons why I'm here.

Yep. If you said it, own it. If it requires clarification because you didn't post what you meant to post, then by all means clarify it. But don't pretend not to hold that opinion because it upsets someone. And if, by chance, a discussion changes your mind then it's cool. But what's the point of a message board if you can't express yourself? I love some of the people on this site and many others, but I don't know them. I reserve the right to disagree with them and if they drop some BS, I reserve the right to drop rebuttal.

That's how I am Jerry and that's how I think it should be. That is why I do not care about the "Diana Ross fans" being unhappy with me because I will tell the truth with facts where possible and I will state my opinion without an ounce of care of what is popular with them! They are newcomers here with most joining forum with a plan to destroy it. I have been a member here for 15 years now. They followed me here from the old Yahoo Groups. But, hey it's their lives to do what they want. I have them on 'Ignore" so they no longer exist to me on the forum.
    Last edited by marv2; 04-26-2018 at 11:10 PM. Reason: typing too fast. Please read it again. Thanks.

Personally, I get more news from Twitter, which is just as complicit as FB [[along with YouTube, Reddit, InstaGram and especially 4chan) but unfortunately the best repository for current news available.
    Not if it helps dumb-down the population, and is usually inaccurate, if not false.

But what's the point of a message board if you can't express yourself? I love some of the people on this site and many others, but I don't know them. I reserve the right to disagree with them and if they drop some BS, I reserve the right to drop rebuttal.

But, it can be done with respect, courtesy, and without the snark and hostility we see all too often on this forum. I left high school eighteen years ago. There is no reason I have to life it again here with a bunch of grown adults.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That's how I am Jerry and that's how I think it should be. That is why I do not care about the "Diana Ross fans" being unhappy with me because I will the truth with facts where possible and I will state my opinion with an ounce of care of what is popular with them! They are newcomers here with most joining forum with a plan to destroy. I have been a member here for 15 years now. They followed me here from the old Yahoo Groups. But, hey it's their lives to do what they want. I have them on 'Ignore" so they no longer exist to me on the forum.
    I don't care about Diana Ross, either. And, like you, I also have a lot of strong opinions that go against the majority of this forum, but, not always as strong as my man Jerry! Though I think you have some pretty misguided views on some things, you still have a right to say them as long as you do not insult people.

You and I are always going to disagree on Bill Cosby's accusers. And, I stay far away from any Supremes/Diana Ross type threads. I don't want to see that stupid shit. I don't care to, and don't have time for it.

We have had lots of newbies sign up on this forum and go straight after you right away. The mere mention of your name from the outset brings suspicion.
    Last edited by soulster; 04-25-2018 at 04:20 PM.

I don't care about Diana Ross, either. And, like you, I also have a lot of strong opinions that go against the majority of this forum, but, not always as strong as my man Jerry! Though I think you have some pretty misguided views on some things, you still have a right to say them as long as you do not insult people.

You and I are always going to disagree on Bill Cosby's accusers. And, I stay far away from any Supremes/Diana Ross type threads. I don't want to see that stupid shit. I don't care to, and don't have time for it.

We have had lots of newbies sign up on this forum and go straight after you right away. The mere mention of your name from the outset brings suspicion.
    You know I don't care because that is the plan of those 5-6 guys that worship Diana Ross. From the moment I gave my opinion that I didn't think she was all that great years ago, they have been after me, which is basically a waste of time because it changes nothing. Ralph has had to ban a minimum of 23 people over the years because of this incessant Diana Ross bickering. I know because I have all 23 on my Ignore List[[it really is far less than that because they just come back under new names to disturb the forum further). All that's left now are 5-6 guys that keep that shit going on in the Motown Forum.

Almost all of the regular posters that were here back in the days not long after I joined are now gone. These were very knowledgeable, good and friendly people. They would offer to get you an answer if they did not know the answer. They left because of this Supremes/Diana Ross stuff. If you look over at that forum now, you can clearly see who keeps creating daily threads on these women.

I have placed most of the ones that just like to argue and make personal attacks on other members on Ignore. I do my best not to attack anyone personally. All I need to do to have a war on my hands [[which is never my intent) is to say, "I don't care for or do not like that Diana Ross record" or" I don't think she sounds very good on blah,blah,blah." They are ready to go mental which I find humorous if nothing else. I now understand that she is an "Icon" to certain people, but they have pushed her over into the Goddess column and worship her and anything to do with her [[her kids included). This has run many people away from not only the Motown Forum but SDF overall. People have the right to free speech, me included. They do not have the right to slander and attack members personally. Personally I don't care what they do because I have NO respect for any of those that I described here. They're disgusting at best. One more thing.............

FREE BILL COSBY!!!! LOL!!!!
    Last edited by marv2; 04-26-2018 at 11:14 PM.

Random sites are often infected with malware. Wordpress is notorious for that. I could fire up the VM and look at it, but I uninstalled it in prep for cloning my boot drive. I plan on finally switching to an SSD.

Yup. There's an old guy in his 80s on a music forum I just got booted from that is notorious for making overt political statements about his conservative beliefs. When he's called on it, he denies it and deletes all of his posts in the thread so there will be no evidence unless someone quotes the posts.

I don't do Facebook. I'm not giving Mark Zuckerberg any info for him to give or sell to the highest bidder.
    Well, anywho, I see your points. There’s no use of me arguing further. I suppose I’ll see you around the forum.

Not if it helps dumb-down the population, and is usually inaccurate, if not false.
    You have to know which sources to get your info from. Getting it from bloggers and politicos is a bad idea. Getting it from friends is a worse idea. If there is no corroborating information in a story [[name of the source, PDF document, video of the person saying it), then take it with a grain of salt. You don't have to be a genius to gauge accurate information. The same as with any resource. There's accurate info even on Facebook, but 95% of what your friends send you on that platform is BS.

But, it can be done with respect, courtesy, and without the snark and hostility we see all too often on this forum. I left high school eighteen years ago. There is no reason I have to life it again here with a bunch of grown adults.
    I agree. But one of the things I'm getting good at in my old age is ignoring the idiots who troll and try to get a reaction by making personal attacks and outrageous statements. Ran into a guy like that on Twitter yesterday and at the point the convo was no longer interesting, with him trying to piss me off, I just started clowning him with GIFs until he gave up. I'm cool with intelligent discussion, even if we disagree. But if you're trying to be a jerk, then I am not compelled to pay attention to you.

I don't even care when people on this forum or others go sideways to be ignorant, but I object wholeheartedly when two people ruin a good thread by having a pissing contest with each other. If it was that important and that personal, they would take it to DM. I've seen too many threads blown up by childish discourse between people who haven't been children since the 60s.

With that being said, it's too easy not to take the bait. If nobody commented on troll posts, they would stop trolling.

LOL. My opinions are my own. The reason I became such a fan of this site a few years ago was because of you and Marv having to slug it out against a couple of posters who I will not name. I always found it interesting that neither of you would do anything but state an opinion and all of a sudden, nuttiness would ensue with people calling you all kinds of names. And of course, neither of you brook fools so you gave better than you got, which pissed them off even more. I used to feel sorry for Ralph.

But I appreciate people who have opinions and can put more behind expressing them than just a random statement. Headstrong as we all are, I think we articulate ourselves well, even when we disagree. I know you burned out on it, but you are missed when you're not around, Brother.

You've noticed that too huh? I would bet that they are being invited by the existing troublemakers. You know the "strength in numbers" thinking. These guys are in the minority whether they want to believe it or not. Most of the members on this forum do not worship Diana Ross and most hardly even think of her as more than a singer from the 60s ,70s and not definitely not the favorite of everyone. I am not going into it about Bill Cosby other than to say I simply do not believe he did all that they say he did and got away with it, in some cases 40-50 years?

I would like to see the forum thrive again with good discussions of music and not just Motown. I think the Clubhouse has become my favorite part of the forum because there is so much else that is going on in the World today other than the Supremes and or Diane Ross. LOL! Please Lord Help Me! hehehehehehehe!
    Last edited by marv2; 04-26-2018 at 01:39 AM.

LOL. My opinions are my own. The reason I became such a fan of this site a few years ago was because of you and Marv having to slug it out against a couple of posters who I will not name. I always found it interesting that neither of you would do anything but state an opinion and all of a sudden, nuttiness would ensue with people calling you all kinds of names. And of course, neither of you brook fools so you gave better than you got, which pissed them off even more. I used to feel sorry for Ralph.

But I appreciate people who have opinions and can put more behind expressing them than just a random statement. Headstrong as we all are, I think we articulate ourselves well, even when we disagree. I know you burned out on it, but you are missed when you're not around, Brother.
    The most enjoyable parts of this forum for me now is our discussions with Arr&Bee, RobbK, and sometimes a few other forum members in the "Remember When" thread. Also I enjoy our conversations in the "Classic Soul Jams" thread. Both of those threads have been up for quite a long time and there is never any fighting ,wars etc. There is a reason for that. You will only find all the fighting and assorted BS in the Motown Forum and in the Supremes/Diana Ross/Mary Wilson threads and it is always with the same small group of guys. They want to everything about these women and if someone tells them something they cannot handle, they go off. I feel sorry most for Ralph because he is always being drugged into all of that mess. They act as if they have to fight to the death over "Diana Ross"? LOL! OMG! LOL!!!

Anyway......

Yeah, I avoid the Motown forum. Besides some of the discussions being too deep into borderline idolatry, I can't get into the arguments.

You know I don't care because that is the plan of those 5-6 guys that worship Diana Ross. From the moment I gave my opinion that I didn't think she was all that great years ago, they have been after me, which is basically a waste of time because it changes nothing.
    It's like...grade school! A lot of people don't like Diana Ross. They should get over it. I'm sure Ross doesn't lose sleep over it.

Almost all of the regular posters that were here back in the days not long after I joined are now gone. These were very knowledgeable, good and friendly people. They would offer to get you an answer if they did not know the answer. They left because of this Supremes/Diana Ross stuff. If you look over at that forum now, you can clearly see who keeps creating daily threads on these women.
    The industry pros don't have time for it, either. That's why they left. They couldn't even be on a thread because that stupid crap would break out.

I have placed most of the ones that just like to argue and make personal attacks on other members on Ignore. I do my best not to attack anyone personally. All I need to do to have a war on my hands [[which is never my intent) is to say, "I don't care for or do not like that Diana Ross record" or" I don't think she sounds very good on blah,blah,blah." They are ready to go mental which I find humorous if nothing else. I now understand that she is an "Icon" to certain people, but they have pushed her over into the Goddess column and worship her and anything to do with her [[her kids included). This has run many people away from not only the Motown Forum but SDF overall. People have the right to free speech, me included. They do not have the right to slander and attack members personally. Personally I don't care what they do because have NO respect for any of those that I described here. They're disgusting at best. One more thing.............
    Well, you have the Ross trolls. I have two or three of those veterans who attack me or make snide remarks whenever I post something they don't like, and they are older than me. They don't show me respect, so why should I show them any respect?

FREE BILL COSBY!!!! LOL!!!!
    LOCK HIM UP! LOCK HIM UP! LOCK HIM UP!

You have to know which sources to get your info from. Getting it from bloggers and politicos is a bad idea. Getting it from friends is a worse idea. If there is no corroborating information in a story [[name of the source, PDF document, video of the person saying it), then take it with a grain of salt. You don't have to be a genius to gauge accurate information. The same as with any resource. There's accurate info even on Facebook, but 95% of what your friends send you on that platform is BS.
    Well, I get my news from legitimate, longtime established news sources that verify it before it's published.

With that being said, it's too easy not to take the bait. If nobody commented on troll posts, they would stop trolling.
    That is a common belief that really doesn't work. If you ignore a troll, they only try harder. They become more obnoxious. If they call you names and you walk away, they'll get in your face and yell at you next time. If you ignore that, they'll whack you in the kneecap. Sure, they want attention and they will not be ignored. But, the only way to deal with them is to deal with them.

Again, contrary to popular belief, they don't go away if you ignore them. That's when the moderation needs to get involved. Anyone who had been bullied at work or school knows this. And, if you tried to take matters into your own hands, it was you who got the punishment. The management needs to get involved.
    Last edited by soulster; 04-26-2018 at 05:34 AM.

Well, I don't know what you're referring to, but I did fight back at my sudden nemesis. That person very rarely comes in here these days. When that person, and that person's buddy did come back, they pretty much picked up where they left off, but tried to make it sound nicer. They probably thought their attitude made them seem more adult, but their childishness shone through.

The main reason I leave at times is because of the very limited range of musical topics talked about here. I started a thread about O.C. Smith and Al Wilson and, sure enough, someone complained that it wasn't about Motown. I know it's a forum geared towards Motown, but it's just so limiting. Motown has been talked about over, under, and sideways down, inside out, upside down, back and forth, in and out, and all around. I'm OCD, but i'm not that obsessed! And, we make jokes about what Diana Ross and Mary Wilson ate for lunch on October 18, 1963 at 12:30 PM, but, someone would probably start a thread about it and be totally serious! Then, the Detroit cronies would start up a conversation that is exclusive from the rest of us because we aren't part of their clique. That's why usually hang out on another music forum where arr & bee also posts. [[Man I love his screen name! It's so cool!)
    Last edited by soulster; 04-26-2018 at 05:23 AM.

That is a common belief that really doesn't work. If you ignore a troll, they only try harder. They become more obnoxious. If they call you names and you walk away, they'll get in your face and yell at you next time. If you ignore that, they'll whack you in the kneecap. Sure, they want attention and they will not be ignored. But, the only way to deal with them is to deal with them.

Again, contrary to popular belief, they don't go away if you ignore them. That's when the moderation needs to get involved. Anyone who had been bullied at work or school knows this. And, if you tried to take matters into your own hands, it was you who got the punishment. The management needs to get involved.
    You know what would help, what would stop this type of thing? If members had to sign in using their legal names! They wouldn't dare post the crap that they do if they had to use their legal names. Also, it would be great if technology advances to the point where you could not only see who you are chatting with, but have the full virtual experience of being able to reach out and smack the shit out of them when they get out of line like the few on the Motown forum LOL! There would be no need to disturb Ralph, just smack the mug a few good times like we did the bullies coming up and they'll stop or get some more.......

It's like...grade school! A lot of people don't like Diana Ross. They should get over it. I'm sure Ross doesn't lose sleep over it.

The industry pros don't have time for it, either. That's why they left. They couldn't even be on a thread because that stupid crap would break out.

Well, you have the Ross trolls. I have two or three of those veterans who attack me or make snide remarks whenever I post something they don't like, and they are older than me. They don't show me respect, so why should I show them any respect?

LOCK HIM UP! LOCK HIM UP! LOCK HIM UP!
    Oh no you dindint! Not before they lock up Trump and most of his Administration!

Well, I get my news from legitimate, longtime established news sources that verify it before it's published.
    Those are the verified accounts that I follow. Usually, to get clicks and buzz, they tease it on Twitter which has replaced press releases as the way to announce news stories.

My point is simple. If enough people use the ignore feature, trolls will troll in the wind. I don't need the ignore feature because it's my choice to read or respond to people I don't care for. Let 'em do their thing. It's sadder than anything but do not engage. Engagement is the water that lets those turds float. Of course, admin is the best way to handle it. I saw trolls all but kill a sports forum I visit until new admins came in and started to weed them out. Literally every thread became a personal attack on either the posters or on players on the team, whether the post was about them or not. The board is thriving now.

You know what would help, what would stop this type of thing? If members had to sign in using their legal names! They wouldn't dare post the crap that they do if they had to use their legal names.
    Everyone says that but few will do it, and it's unenforceable. And, if it were somehow, no one would post. Too many privacy issues.

Oh no you dindint! Not before they lock up Trump and most of his Administration!
    Too late!

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/bi...l_nbn_20180426

Everyone says that but few will do it, and it's unenforceable. And, if it were somehow, no one would post. Too many privacy issues.
    You have to admit, it would more than likely stop them for posting so much trash and slander. People get all kinds of bold when they can post anonymously.

I know, I just saw it on CNN, but thanks.

On terms of modern music, it's sort of been a mix of where I've been and where I am now. My mother has always followed the trends of every pop star, so I've been surrounded and infatuated with pop culture, both past and present. Much of my predilection to pop came from my own admiration of "divas" as a gay man; I love Madonna, Kylie Minogue, Judy Garland, Lady Gaga, very strong female figures who made an impact on the way my mind works. I enjoy a lot of indie singer-songwriters, folk singers, and even rap [[but I typically go for the more melancholy material like Kendrick, Kanye or Kid Cudi). It's sort of been a hoge poge because my music tastes are still being influenced by the music I write about. I unintentionally got sucked into the dance music scene within Arizona when I first became a journalist, and have been considered a "raver" since. I also got sucked into the metal scene when I started befriending those in other sub cultures.

If you want a trademark for my music tastes though, I LOVE LOVE LOVE novelty music. Gimme some Jayne Mansfield, Divine, Meri Wilson [[not the Supremes edition, check the spelling LOL), and albums considered obscure. William Shatner? I'll go for it. Old hollywood glamorpusses like Marlene and Tallulah who recorded music on the side? Gimme that.

My love of music ties into my love of history and information. I love the "weird" entries from artists' careers, novelty bands, one-off projects, and odd tid-bit. If you want my favorites, you'll just have to start naming names and then we get into the nitty gritty!

Well Logan, that, I will admit, is not the response I was expecting! Lol... Madonna, Kendrick Lamar, Jayne Mansfield and some metal, folk and club music thrown in for good measure! Wow that's varied!!! I applaud you for such an open musical mind

Very seldom. I'm a big fan of Motown but when I joined, I quickly learned that I'm out of my league there. If I want to learn about Motown, that is the first place that I go, though. I spend more time right here and on the SD forum because I also love other types of soul music [[especially Memphis and Muscle Shoals). BTW: the last time I went to Motown, another donnybrook broke out and those threads are exhausting. LOL.
    Hey Jerry, I understand But don't let a potential lack of knowledge or experience stop you from posting there. Heck half my posts in the Motown Forum are probably questions! And I'm totally out of my league with the Supremes threads in particular [[and not just for the reasons you stated ) so it's all cool

Hi there, everyone! Since I joined, I've been truly enlightened by the information I've gained. Some of you regulars who have been here for years might see this forum as a bunch of loose conversation about times long past, but for a 23 year-old journalist who is obsessed with information and oldies, I'm so glad I found this place. As someone who grew up in the forum culture of the early 00s, I really enjoy the casual conversational style that persisted while the rest of the internet devolved to communicate in small bursts.

I've been skimming through posts from the past and present, and have encountered discussions of people telling their legendary stories involving Motown icons and behind-the-scenes info I wouldn't have gained from books or anywhere else. I know people have the ability to lie on the internet, but I genuinely hope some of the tales people have told are honest.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  21.1 KB
    [[3) You should have been here between when we started in 2001, and 2010 or so. We had LOTS of ex Motowners posting occasionally, and several regularly. We had ex-Funk Brothers Bob Babbitt, and Denis Coffey, as regular posters; Jack Ashford and Joe Hunter made a few posts. We had legendary Motown sound engineer, Mike McLean, as a regular poster, as well as Ralph and Russ Terrana, and Bob Ohlsson, as was producer, Clay MacMurray, and Weldon McDougall. We also had marketing dept head, Al Abrams post here for awhile. I, myself, worked for Motown during the 1970s. We also had visits from singers Frances Nero, Tommy Good, and several more. Spyder Turner [[Detroit Soul singer-but never with Motown) as a longtime regular. We had a lot more who posted here who had been active in Detroit and/or Motown's 1960s Detroit Soul scene. But, being pretty old, myself, I can't remember exactly who they were. We had several other ex-Motown artists, who were friends or acquaintances of Forum members, who visited here to answer our questions. Ron Murphy, 1960s-2000s Detroit Soul producer, label owner, record masterer, was a major regular here. We also had several major Detroit record collectors here, early in this forum's history [[2001-2007 or so). But, several of them are now deceased, and others are busy with other pursuits. In those days, we had a LOT of great threads about Detroit Soul and Motown, full of technical information about recording, what went on during recording sessions, inside history of Motown and Detroit Soul, to the point that I was very active and interested in 85-90% of all this forum's threads new posts EVERY DAY! Nowadays, I'm only interested in a new post maybe once every few weeks [[other than the ongoing nostalgia thread). We rarely get am historical thread about record companies, or what happened in specific situations back in the 1960s, or record collecting. We had a lot of super threads for those subjects back in 2001-2005 or so. Unfortunately, we lost many of them in late 2004, when Lowell upgraded [[modernised) this website's format.

[[2) Yes, we have a few younger Motown and Soul music fans here.

[[1) I don't know if this is the best forum for Motown Oldies discussion. But, I haven't found a better one. If one exists, I'd join it for sure. We have as regular members, representatives of Universal Motown, who work on packaging Motown CD and digital releases. So, our Motown Forum is probably the best place to find out about Motown oldies and previously unreleased new releases.

I don't believe there is much lying and story fabrication on this forum, although there probably is some [[in the personal stories section of The Motown forum). But most of it is likely true to some degree. I've known some of the Detroit and L.A. Motown people personally, and they are the real people they say they are. Ron Murphy was a friend of mine, and he knew many of the Detroit-based, posters here, and if people were "posing" as having connections to Detroit Soul and Motown, back in the day, he'd have caught them red handed, and exposed them. I knew Mike McLean personally. He was a great asset to this forum in the early days. He would have called out anyone who had falsely claimed to have had a connection to Motown back in the '60s.
    In the Motown forum, there MAY be a bit of exaggeration about the level of "friendship" some of the fans have or had with Motown stars. But, maybe not. Most of the problem on that forum is more of a "catty" arguing over which Motown figure is better, nicer, or right or wrong in so-called disputes. Some posters there are too far into "hero worship", in my opinion.
    Last edited by robb_k; 04-28-2018 at 12:28 AM.

You know what would help, what would stop this type of thing? If members had to sign in using their legal names! They wouldn't dare post the crap that they do if they had to use their legal names. Also, it would be great if technology advances to the point where you could not only see who you are chatting with, but have the full virtual experience of being able to reach out and smack the shit out of them when they get out of line like the few on the Motown forum LOL! There would be no need to disturb Ralph, just smack the mug a few good times like we did the bullies coming up and they'll stop or get some more.......
Views: 475
    Ha! Ha! Ha! Like a 1940s cartoon with a fist shooting through the computer to cable wires and then coming out of the troll's computer screen, slugging him in the face!!!
    Love to see it!

Have our real names and addresses on the screen? I'm probably on every anti-USA communist threat list as it is. And my real identity is pretty much known. If what you propose would come to pass, I'd probably wind up in a dungeon with all the "suspected" Muslim so-called "terrorists". If I suddenly disappear from this forum, you'll know what happened to me.

By the way...... I've never been a big fan of The Supremes, and Diana was my least favourite singer of the original 3. But, I loved the old threads on The Motown Forum, on which other former Motown employees talked about what happened back in the day. Too bad almost all of them are gone from here now.

The government already knows us anyway but with 2018 culture, real names might actually have dangerous consequences. I prefer using a screen name so I can tell a nut that he's nutty!

I had an interesting debate with a guy where I told him that people on message boards were fake because they said things that they'd never say in real life. He kind of agreed with me, but he said that they were fake in real life because they wouldn't post some of the thoughts that creep out if they didn't really feel them. He was actually right.

There are more evil people on message boards and Twitter and Facebook than it seems to be in the real world. Social media is like booze and drugs; it won't make you say something you don't feel. It just eases your inhibition about saying it.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 475
    Ha! Ha! Ha! Like a 1940s cartoon with a fist shooting through the computer to cable wires and then coming out of the troll's computer screen, slugging him in the face!!!
    Love to see it!

Have our real names and addresses on the screen? I'm probably on every anti-USA communist threat list as it is. And my real identity is pretty much known. If what you propose would come to pass, I'd probably wind up in a dungeon with all the "suspected" Muslim so-called "terrorists". If I suddenly disappear from this forum, you'll know what happened to me.

By the way...... I've never been a big fan of The Supremes, and Diana was my least favourite singer of the original 3. But, I loved the old threads on The Motown Forum, on which other former Motown employees talked about what happened back in the day. Too bad almost all of them are gone from here now.
    Robb, I'd never let them take you away...relax! LOL!!!!

The government already knows us anyway but with 2018 culture, real names might actually have dangerous consequences. I prefer using a screen name so I can tell a nut that he's nutty!

I had an interesting debate with a guy where I told him that people on message boards were fake because they said things that they'd never say in real life. He kind of agreed with me, but he said that they were fake in real life because they wouldn't post some of the thoughts that creep out if they didn't really feel them. He was actually right.

There are more evil people on message boards and Twitter and Facebook than it seems to be in the real world. Social media is like booze and drugs; it won't make you say something you don't feel. It just eases your inhibition about saying it.
    Jerry, agreed! There were some very real people on this forum. I've met about 12 or a few more than that in real life. All were normal, nice and smart people. Social media and the internet is like wearing a costume or no clothes at all. It is also like booze and drugs giving people that "false courage" to say things.

robb, i'd never let them take you away...relax! Lol!!!!
    they gotta go through me too!!

In all seriousness, robb_k is one of most special and unique people I've encountered on the web. I learn something that's mind blowing from almost every one of his posts. I've got his back, too.

Robb, if you need me to lie for you in court, give me a head's up!

Hey robb,they gotta eat right? I'll have all food served from grady's[hehehehhehe!!!]

Jerry, agreed! There were some very real people on this forum. I've met about 12 or a few more than that in real life. All were normal, nice and smart people. Social media and the internet is like wearing a costume or no clothes at all. It is also like booze and drugs giving people that "false courage" to say things.
Views: 472
    I second this. I've meta few people on this forum, and they were all well-mannered, kind, considerate, and intelligent. I've made many friends who my first contact with was on a forum. I became friendly with someone who lived in the next village from me, a 3-4 minute bicycle ride from me, across a few cabbage fields. We lived that close to each other for over 10 years, but hadn't met. We both lived in The Netherlands, but met by being posters on a National Hockey League individual team forum. We could have lived across The World from each other, but were within walking distance. What are the odds of THAT??? My first contact with many of my better friends was made on an Internet forum. Of course, I don't seek out meeting forum trolls.