[REMOVE ADS]

Upcoming Motown Museum exhibit on the Four Tops - 5/1/2018

It has just been announced that opening on May 1, 2018, The Four of Us, a new exhibit featuring the Four Tops, is an explorative exhibition that documents the career of Motown Records artists the Four Tops, from the perspective of their children. The exhibit includes first hand narratives, personal photographs, memorabilia, and artifacts from the family's collection that represents the lives of each member of the Four Tops on stage, and at home as as family men. This exhibit celebrates the 55th anniversary of the groups signing with Motown.

Your regular Motown Museum admission includes this great exhibit.

Please try to get to see this unusual exhibit as well as your support of the Motown Museum. Thank you.

Finally something on my favorite group, The Four Tops!

Ooh, sounds good. If I could, I would certainly visit. Maybe one day.

Been a long time coming, not sure I will make it across to Detroit again! can't understand why there has never been a biography published.

Any idea how long this the last?

Any word on how long this will last?

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Been a long time coming, not sure I will make it across to Detroit again! can't understand why there has never been a biography published.
    That’s the million dollar question. Duke has been talking about a book for about 20 years. Why it hasn’t come out I dunno. The Tops are one of my favorite groups. To me they are underrated because there’s not much to introduce them to the new generation. Otis Williams has the movie, book, and Broadway show for the Tempts.

Duke really should write a book, because even the kids are getting older now. There are a lot of people that would be willing to contribute to it I am certain.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Duke really should write a book, because even the kids are getting older now. There are a lot of people that would be willing to contribute to it I am certain.
    I’m a big fan. I will support. But he’s got to come out with something. I wonder what the hold up is?

They talk about the book thing at the 23:50 mark. https://youtu.be/Qp8Fgbdz70g

At least do a book of extremely rare photos with in depth interviews about the photos. The Kenn Fuller interview link I posted above explains the book answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Encyclopedia Mack View Post
    I’m a big fan. I will support. But he’s got to come out with something. I wonder what the hold up is?
    Well for one, he is over 80 years old and is still touring. His son could even get it started. The children and wives of the other members I am sure would help no doubt if approached right.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourtopsbiggestfan View Post
    At least do a book of extremely rare photos with in depth interviews about the photos. The Kenn Fuller interview link I posted above explains the book answer.
    I remember this interview. Levi was already sick by then. I got to talk to him and Obie later that year.

They talk about the book thing at the 23:50 mark. https://youtu.be/Qp8Fgbdz70g
    I noticed Levi said exactly what I have been saying for the longest time. That there have been lots of books written about Motown and the individuals, but none of them told everything, including all of the uglies.........

I remember this interview. Levi was already sick by then. I got to talk to him and Obie later that year.
    Wow. You're do lucky. Levi still had the black and white in his beard. Guess more health problems weren't too far away. Then the beard would be white. Always wondered if his health had Something to do with that. I wish there were some pictures after this clip and before 2004.

I noticed Levi said exactly what I have been saying for the longest time. That there have been lots of books written about Motown and the individuals, but none of them told everything, including all of the uglies.........
    I definitely agree. The WHOLE truth hasn't come all the way out.

Wow. You're do lucky. Levi still had the black and white in his beard. Guess more health problems weren't too far away. Then the beard would be white. Always wondered if his health had Something to do with that. I wish there were some pictures after this clip and before 2004.
    Sadly, I was also at Levi's funeral. Yes he had the black and white beard all the way till the end. He looked like a king in repose!

I definitely agree. The WHOLE truth hasn't come all the way out.
    Some people just cannot handle the warts and all.......just look around this forum long enough and you'll see what I am talking about LOL!

Sadly, I was also at Levi's funeral. Yes he had the black and white beard all the way till the end. He looked like a king in repose!
    I always wanted to know how he looked. Obviously still the white beard. Or clean shaved. I heard he looked 20 years younger or something. Can't stop wondering. The suit he had. Hope you can ease my burdens.

[QUOTE=marv2;456030]Some people just cannot handle the warts and all.......just look around this forum long enough and you'll see what I am talking about LOL![/QUOTE
    I do think that some things will NEVER be told and I am not necessarily referring to the Tops! Be nice to read how they stayed together for so many years. Didn’t Levi refuse the groups to be named with his name out front? A true brotherhood.

I too have been wishing and hoping that a book would come out on this fabulous group. This is the only one of the major groups that a book has not been written about. But then one must consider that during the career of the Four Tops, there were no scandals or bad public relations to my knowledge against the group. For that reason it might not be a million seller, but the suggestion about a book of extremely rare photos should please many Four Tops enthusiasts. To my knowledge there have been no drug problems with group members, none have been arrested, etc. etc. You get the picture. Things like this always cause a book to sell better. Let's focus on the great performances that they made and not look for negativism as you probably won't find any. Scandals, etc. are a main driver of book sales.

I am hoping that a recap of the exhibit at the Motown Museum is soon forthcoming. Perhaps Marv2 will stop on his next trip to Detroit and give the exhibit some coverage.

I always wanted to know how he looked. Obviously still the white beard. Or clean shaved. I heard he looked 20 years younger or something. Can't stop wondering. The suit he had. Hope you can ease my burdens.
    I will say this, the Swanson's did an excellent job as usual. They also performed the service for David Ruffin, as well as many other Detroit luminaries. Levi was laid out the way Pope John Paul II was in full display. Black suit, white shirt, gold necktie, black leather shoes. At the funeral home, Ali-Ollie Woodson of the Temptations sang. The service the following day was packed, but very orderly. Much different from some other Motown legends.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I too have been wishing and hoping that a book would come out on this fabulous group. This is the only one of the major groups that a book has not been written about. But then one must consider that during the career of the Four Tops, there were no scandals or bad public relations to my knowledge against the group. For that reason it might not be a million seller, but the suggestion about a book of extremely rare photos should please many Four Tops enthusiasts. To my knowledge there have been no drug problems with group members, none have been arrested, etc. etc. You get the picture. Things like this always cause a book to sell better. Let's focus on the great performances that they made and not look for negativism as you probably won't find any. Scandals, etc. are a main driver of book sales.

I am hoping that a recap of the exhibit at the Motown Museum is soon forthcoming. Perhaps Marv2 will stop on his next trip to Detroit and give the exhibit some coverage.
    I agree, especially about the rare photos. I saw one from the early 60s where there was a replacement for Lawrence I believe because he was in the service at the time. I can't remember the singer's name at the moment. I had a copy of the pic but would not know where to look for it since it's been several years now. Very rare. The Four Tops do have a great story to tell even without the major scandals, etc.

How Obie help write "What's Going On?. How they formed at a party in the North end. Their popularity in England, so much more.

Woodward, do you know how long the Exhibit runs? They sent me a questionnaire about my favorite memories of the Tops. There were so many, I couldn't even start. I know that everywhere I lived in the country, I'd go see them when they came to town and then go back to greet them. They were REAL people in the good sense of the word.

Ok now I remember. It was Thearon Hill who replaced Obie Benson in 1959. He was on The Four Tops Columbia recordings in 1960. He was in the group until 1962 when Obie returned from the Army. Thearon passed recently after serving as the Tops road manager for over 30 years.

Look what I found..........! The Four Tops including Thearon Hill. He looks similar to current Four Tops member, Ronnie McNeir:

Attachment 14186

In an answer to Marv2's question, I received this information just now.

The Museum has scheduled a Four Tops reception exhibit opening next week on Wednesday, May 16th from 6:00pm-8:00pm. The exhibit has no end date scheduled at this time.

I am uncertain if this is the official start of the exhibit which was originally scheduled for May 1. If you plan to attend before May 16, I would check with the museum beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    In an answer to Marv2's question, I received this information just now.

The Museum has scheduled a Four Tops reception exhibit opening next week on Wednesday, May 16th from 6:00pm-8:00pm. The exhibit has no end date scheduled at this time.

I am uncertain if this is the official start of the exhibit which was originally scheduled for May 1. If you plan to attend before May 16, I would check with the museum beforehand.
    Thank you so much Woodward.