[REMOVE ADS]

Cool Jean Terrell and "that look"

Today as I was flipping through Supremes performances on Youtube, I just realized how captivating Jean Terrell's stare was. I can't help but admire how she knew how to play the cameras and stage simultaneously with her beauty, but moreso her charisma. I really wish we had an unlimited source of live Supremes recordings from Jean's tenure; you could even sense her dedication to her "character work" in the lip synced television performances when most artists sometimes slack on that front when they aren't exerting their true vocal form and energy.

While we always praise her vocal contributions, I always found her ability to "find her light" as a soloist incredible, especially for the times of television. While there were a slew of other artists who could work the television cameras, recording environments for even the most basic of lip synced performances can be a jarring experience for an artist. I'm sure we can count plenty of randomly assorted performances of artists who came off as talented, yet awkward on the unique environment of studio television.

Does anyone else have more videos where Jean is just giving GREAT face?

[QUOTE=loganjlr;453067]Today as I was flipping through Supremes performances on Youtube, I just realized how captivating Jean Terrell's stare was. I can't help but admire how she knew how to play the cameras and stage simultaneously with her beauty, but moreso her charisma. I really wish we had an unlimited source of live Supremes recordings from Jean's tenure; you could even sense her dedication to her "character work" in the lip synced television performances when most artists sometimes slack on that front when they aren't exerting their true vocal form and energy.

Excellent observation. I sat through 8 of Jean's last shows with the Supremes in 1973. I noticed the same thing, she'd fix on a person, smile to them as she sang almost looked as they she was studying that person at the same time.

She could absolutely be captivating. But other times should could seem quite unsure of herself. When she’s doing her songs, amazing. She’s in control and owns it. But whenever they had to interact w hosts and people she came across so awkward. Like pretty much every flip Wilson skit. Now I understand that the skits where hokey and all. But it was still a component of what the girls needed to do. Like it or not

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    She could absolutely be captivating. But other times should could seem quite unsure of herself. When she’s doing her songs, amazing. She’s in control and owns it. But whenever they had to interact w hosts and people she came across so awkward. Like pretty much every flip Wilson skit. Now I understand that the skits where hokey and all. But it was still a component of what the girls needed to do. Like it or not
    Not the impression I had at all. Look at that last Flip show when they rental car agents. Jean got most of the lines.

I, for one, was very comfortable with Jeans style. She was not a high gloss "glamourpuss" like DMC. She was the Supreme who introduced us to change in the lead singer role...a big change. I found her to be very attractive...I liked her presence physically and vocally. [[She sometimes had a strange hairline around the temples, and there was a period where she looked over-tweezed....I thought she looked good with longer hair) but she was Jean and wanted to be accepted as Jean. Her live performances of I Guess I'll Miss The Man are right up there with my fav. clips...I love her clips from the FLO's period. After she left that trio I stopped following them pretty much.
    Last edited by gman; 04-22-2018 at 06:03 AM.

One thing I noticed. Whenever Jean would put her arm straight down by her side, she was about to hit a long, high note! I saw her do that one night in Detroit and she also almost on her tip toes and just let it ring out!

I've thought she has come across as awkward during interviews and stuff like that, but not performance. She was not Diana Ross. Nobody was. Jean's magic was going to be different and had someone been behind the group the way someone was behind the 60s lineups, charting the course of their music and their look, the Jean led groupings could've sustained their initial success. Jean had the goods. If she hadn't, she never would've been a Supreme in the first place.

Jean definitely had flair... just wish it was utilized better than it was...

Jean should've been the beginning of a new Supremes totally free of the "old" Supremes. Had Motown had someone look after artists after moving to California, maybe the Supremes could've survived the changes with Jean there.

Jean terrell was all. Voice all that and a big bag of potatoe chips who sang her way through 8 motown lps as lead singer of the supremes

You talking the Ian Levine concert at the Pontchartrain Hotel?

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    You talking the Ian Levine concert at the Pontchartrain Hotel?
    That night I sat with Ian Levine on one side and Mrs. Esther Gordy Edwards on the other. Mrs. Edwards was beaming like a proud Mama when Jean sang. She was completely on that night. Her voice was strong and clear and she did her thing with this vocal runs and high notes. She didn't miss a note or forgot a word of the lyrics to the songs. She looked good too.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    Jean terrell was all. Voice all that and a big bag of potatoe chips who sang her way through 8 motown lps as lead singer of the supremes
    I have long said that Jean Terrell was one of the best singers ever signed to Motown.

I know Jean's look very well. I was in the third row at Shady Grove Music Fair when the Supremes did their show with the Temptations. Jean caught my eye, didn't let go, and had me stand up for You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You. I still remember her looking at me and the smile on her face when she asked me to stand. Having her sing the song to me was unforgettable!

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I know Jean's look very well. I was in the third row at Shady Grove Music Fair when the Supremes did their show with the Temptations. Jean caught my eye, didn't let go, and had me stand up for You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You. I still remember her looking at me and the smile on her face when she asked me to stand. Having her sing the song to me was unforgettable!
    Very cool story about Jean!