[REMOVE ADS]

A Temptations Revue featuring Barrington Henderson.......Thoughts?

A Temptations Revue featuring former lead singer of the Temptations [[1998-2003) and Grammy Award Winner Barrington "Bo" Henderson. I heard that he was out on the road with his group, but I had never heard them and I don't know who the singers are in the group. What are your thoughts?

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. He has no rights to the legacy of this group

As much as people want to give Mary Wilson crap for the billing she got in her early years as a solo artist [[The Supremes featuring Mary Wilson, Mary Wilson & the Supremes, The Supremes’ Mary Wilson, etc) which opened the door for someone like Kaaren Raagland to call herself a Supreme, the same applies here except this guy was a member of the Temptations. Otis owns the name Temptations, hired this guy to be a Temptation thus making this guy a Temptation whether people like or not. Otis has opened the flood gates for all these men to tour as Temptations and their revues. How many of these Temptations Revue have there been? Dennis Edwards, Richard Street, Damon Harris, Glenn Leonard, etc. Now you have guys like Nate Evans and David Sea with their own Temptations revues. Otis should have called it quits when Melvin Franklin died.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 04-21-2018 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    As much as people want to give Mary Wilson crap for the billing she got in her early years as a solo artist [[The Supremes featuring Mary Wilson, Mary Wilson & the Supremes, The Supremes’ Mary Wilson, etc) which opened the door for someone like Kaaren Raagland to call herself a Supreme, the same applies here except this guy was a member of the Temptations. Otis owns the name Temptations, hired this guy to be a Temptation thus making this guy a Temptation whether people like or not. Otis has opened the flood gates for all these men to tour as Temptations and their revues. How many of these Temptations Revue have there been? Dennis Edwards, Richard Street, Damon Harris, Glenn Leonard, etc. Now you have guys like Nate Evans and David Sea with their own Temptations revues. Otis should have called it quits when Melvin Franklin died.
    I agree Brad. There was also Ali Woodson with his Emperors of Soul group that was basically a Temptations act.

Agree with Brad

You let these people “fill in” for a year when you are desperate with no contracts in writing about the basis they are in on - and a few years later they are out there as Temptations and tops and Supremes and Marvelettes

And all sorts of legalities and loopholes allow them to operate and chasing them is an impossible and expensive proposition

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Agree with Brad

You let these people “fill in” for a year when you are desperate with no contracts in writing about the basis they are in on - and a few years later they are out there as Temptations and tops and Supremes and Marvelettes

And all sorts of legalities and loopholes allow them to operate and chasing them is an impossible and expensive proposition
    It is not. It isn't even like that. Mary Wilson and F.A.M.E. has had legislation passed in most of the States preventing bogus groups from performing and billing themselves as the original group. Groups now have to be called "Tribute to..." in the case of this group, Bo Henderson was once signed to Motown as a Temptation and still he cannot call his group "The Temptations".

Hmm, I don’t really know what I think of it... Bo was a Temptation, even if it was only for a short while and not during the group's ‘classic period’, and I'm all for preserving the legacy of The Tempts. And, crucially, Bo's group is just called "A Temptations Revue" not "The Temptations". I'd basically see it as a Temptations tribute act, like any other tribute act. I think I'm alright with it.

In 2002 I met the Temptations 4 of the 5. Otis, Terry, Ron & Bo. Bo was very cordial and gracious.

edafan

Otis got rights to the name Temptations. I don't see an issue?

Like Dennis, Glenn, Richard, etc., even David and Eddie, they each formed groups that had them using the Temptations name without acting like they owned it. Barrington was a Temptation who helped to contribute to the group's late '90s, early '00s comeback as a relevant R&B group, why shouldn't he?

Like TT123 said, it's just a tribute act. Most of the "Temptations revue" groups are tributes to the Temptations anyway...