[REMOVE ADS]

STEVIE performing You & I in Tokyo, 1995

Again, that MELISMA!!!!!

I haven't watched this live performance midnight but unfortunately I just CANNOT get into this song... "You And I" from Talking Book, that is. I'm guessing you must really like it. To me, however, it just kinda goes nowhere. Maybe I need to give it more listens.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I haven't watched this live performance midnight but unfortunately I just CANNOT get into this song... "You And I" from Talking Book, that is. I'm guessing you must really like it. To me, however, it just kinda goes nowhere. Maybe I need to give it more listens.
    Say it ain’t so, Tom! This song has been a tear-soaked staple at so many weddings in my lifetime, including my oldest sister’s and my nephew’s. You’re breaking my heart! 😉

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Say it ain’t so, Tom! This song has been a tear-soaked staple at so many weddings in my lifetime, including my oldest sister’s and my nephew’s. You’re breaking my heart! 😉
    I know sans! I feel bad saying it!!! Especially because I like all of Talking Book except this one track. Damn you ears!!!

I know sans! I feel bad saying it!!! Especially because I like all of Talking Book except this one track. Damn you ears!!!
    LOL! You’re the first person I’ve ever heard of who didn’t care for “You and I.” Fascinating! Do you find it maudlin?

LOL! You’re the first person I’ve ever heard of who didn’t care for “You and I.” Fascinating! Do you find it maudlin?
    Oh no not that sans, I think's a good, nice song. But I just can't get into it. I think it's a bit depressing-sounding...

Sitting here listening to the song again, I'm kinda warming to it. Kinda.

Oh no not that sans, I think's a good, nice song. But I just can't get into it. I think it's a bit depressing-sounding...

Sitting here listening to the song again, I'm kinda warming to it. Kinda.
    HAHA!

At my big sister’s wedding, a family friend sang it and brought the house down; I cried my little 10-year-old eyes out. [[At my nephew’s wedding two years ago...not so much. The guy couldn’t reach the climactic notes and somebody else had to take over [who wasn’t much better]. I was ready to fight both of them.) 😂😂😂

I just wanted y'all to talk about his vocals at the end, guys.

Did I get tangential? 😀

Okay, so here’s the thing: NOBODY stans for Stevie like I do. However [[and don’t bite my head off for this), as virtuosic as his melismatic gift is - and NO ONE does it better - I find that latter-day Stevie kind of overdoes it at times [[as I find he does here). I mean, it’s awesome, but less is more, nah’mean? Very look-Ma-no-tonsils-or-wisdom-teeth. Just sayin’.

Lol

I'm a fan of the "lemme just show off my vocals because I can" SW.

Then again, that's the Stevie I was familiar with as a kid.

Did I get tangential? 

Okay, so here’s the thing: NOBODY stans for Stevie like I do. However [[and don’t bite my head off for this), as virtuosic as his melismatic gift is - and NO ONE does it better - I find that latter-day Stevie kind of overdoes it at times [[as I find he does here). I mean, it’s awesome, but less is more, nah’mean? Very look-Ma-no-tonsils-or-wisdom-teeth. Just sayin’.
    Agreed 100 percent. IMO overdoes it is an understatement and this is an example of it. Love me some Stevie but I'm not impressed with this particular performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Agreed 100 percent. IMO overdoes it is an understatement and this is an example of it. Love me some Stevie but I'm not impressed with this particular performance.
    Just doin' the MOST. I'm like, "Yo! Mr. Morris! You got the job, dude. Just sing."