[REMOVE ADS]

Yvonne Fair - It Should Have Been Me

She killed this. I love Kim Weston's version but not crazy about Gladys and the Pips version. Yvonne takes the cake though. I always thought this should have been a big hit.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    She killed this. I love Kim Weston's version but not crazy about Gladys and the Pips version. Yvonne takes the cake though. I always thought this should have been a big hit.
    I agree this is the best version. It went top 5 here in the UK. I love this ladies work, and hope there is still unreleased material in the vaults which we may get to hear someday.

I've said this before but always glad to repeat myself - this is the definitive version of the song. This should have been a huge hit for Yvonne.

Sorry the quality is terrible - but British fans will remember this classic scene from the t.v sitcom, 'The Vicar of Dibley', starring Dawn French

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Gladys's was the first version I heard... and the second too [[the one with strings added). Hers is the best 60s version, beating Kim's, but Yvonne and Whitfield made it a whole different beast for the 70s. How about this version?

Considering the subject matter Yvonne Fair's emotion REALLY works well for this song. The anger and disappointment are on full display.

I'm also sure this version has been a favorite in some drag queen circles. It has to be, it's so dramatic.

I love this song and Yvonne's version especially!!! I also love Gladys & The Pips' version actually. But mostly I love how Norman Whitfield revisited his years-old songs and put a new spin on them.

With the lady herself

I love how she yells "NO GLADYS! IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ME!" at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    Sorry the quality is terrible - but British fans will remember this classic scene from the t.v sitcom, 'The Vicar of Dibley', starring Dawn French
    Hilarious!! I love British sitcoms. Apparently at some point it was streaming on Netflix. I've just tried to find it but it's not there.

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Gladys's was the first version I heard... and the second too [[the one with strings added). Hers is the best 60s version, beating Kim's, but Yvonne and Whitfield made it a whole different beast for the 70s. How about this version?
    Meh.