[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Too bad the turnout at Westbury was low. I just saw Martha and Mary this afternoon and the show was great.

Martha did the usual hits, as well as pulling out an unexpected A LOVE LIKE YOURS [[DON'T COME KNOCKING EVERY DAY). Mary did the usual hits as well, plus a nice DON'T KNOW WHY and her finale, IMAGINE. I didn't notice any trouble on her part, as noted above, so I gather she is over her cold. She sounded great and as always, I truly feel that videos don't do her justice. I've never been disappointed when I see her live.
    I also saw the show this afternoon. [[Reese, I wish I knew who you were and we could have met and introduced ourselves. I did see a few old friends.) I had seen some of the videos from Friday night so I wasn't expecting much from Mary, however I was blown away. I have seen her many times and she never disappoints. I agree the videos on youtube don't do her justice. The video above of YCHL, CSAM and BIMAA pales in comparison to what I saw and heard today. I thought this medley was just one of the several highlights of the show.

I felt Martha's show wasn't as strong. I had seen MR&V in Provincetown a few years ago and thought it was one of the best concerts I had ever attended and vowed to see them the next time they were in my area. I was so looking forward to a repeat of that excitement and performance. Unfortunately, today's show wasn't on par with that. They all have their days - just like us.

The audience was very enthusiastic for both acts.

Whether you love her or not, Mary Wilson is a Motown Legend and an original Supreme. She's still doing it, after over 50 years in the business. If you're a fan of the Supremes, she is an integral part of their history and music, which has brought joy to all of our lives. I believe for that reason alone, she deserves more respect than what some of you are posting in this thread. I think she sounded fine in all of those clips from the Westbury show. I didn't see or hear anything wrong. From what I've observed in recent years, she still works with her own backup singers and musical director and usually has other local musicians working her shows under contract. This means having a different group of musicians each show, which in itself can be a challenge for any performer, but she pulls it off like the pro that she is.

Her name is in the history books.

Happy trolling.

^ No one was arguing about her place in history. WTF?

Some just thought she was a little off kilter and maybe that wasn't the case. Calm down, damn...

TBH the 'legend' moniker is a tad over-stated ... Member of a legendary group, yes. Individually? ...

Mary's a professional. I'm sure she knows her draw in this stage of her career, and realized this was probably the fault of the promoter. While the crowd was small, I would have LOVED being an audience member and getting up on stage with Mary! As someone who's worked with event promotion companies and PR before, the business can be shady and you always have to double-check as an artist to what you're paying for.

We have a theatre-in-the-round like that in Phoenix called the Celebrity Theatre and it can get awkward when seats aren't sold out. When smaller shows take place, they usually cut off the stage half-way and turn off the revolving motions.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    ^ No one was arguing about her place in history. WTF?

Some just thought she was a little off kilter and maybe that wasn't the case. Calm down, damn...
    I can read in between the lines. Lots of haters up in here, emphasizing their opinion in regards to her voice, performance, etc. It's the same story in every thread on here. They don't respect her as a Supreme or legend in the same way that they do with other Motown performers. I am allowed to post whatever I wish to express and there was no lack of calmness in my post, that is your own interpretation. If you want to further discuss practicing calmness, I kindly suggest avoiding acronyms that contain swear words, as that in itself is disrespectful and suggests an angry tone. Thank you.
    Last edited by carlo; 04-23-2018 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    I also saw the show this afternoon. [[Reese, I wish I knew who you were and we could have met and introduced ourselves. I did see a few old friends.) I had seen some of the videos from Friday night so I wasn't expecting much from Mary, however I was blown away. I have seen her many times and she never disappoints. I agree the videos on youtube don't do her justice. The video above of YCHL, CSAM and BIMAA pales in comparison to what I saw and heard today. I thought this medley was just one of the several highlights of the show.

I felt Martha's show wasn't as strong. I had seen MR&V in Provincetown a few years ago and thought it was one of the best concerts I had ever attended and vowed to see them the next time they were in my area. I was so looking forward to a repeat of that excitement and performance. Unfortunately, today's show wasn't on par with that. They all have their days - just like us.

The audience was very enthusiastic for both acts.
    We do end up at some of the same shows it seems. I might have been sitting right next to you. :-)

For this show, I took along a friend who has never seen either lady before. She enjoyed them both but confessed that she really enjoyed Mary. That said, she made a point of asking me the best starter cds by each for a newbie like herself.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I can read in between the lines. Lots of haters up in here, emphasizing their opinion in regards to her voice, performance, etc. It's the same story in every thread on here. They don't respect her as a Supreme or legend in the same way that they do with other Motown performers. I am allowed to post whatever I wish to express and there was no lack of calmness in my post, that is your own interpretation. If you want to further discuss practicing calmness, I kindly suggest avoiding acronyms that contain swear words, as that in itself is disrespectful and suggests an angry tone. Thank you.
    As one of the ones critical of Mary's performance of Supremes songs, I have to conclude that I'm supposedly one of the haters. I am constantly complimenting Mary's vocal skills in this forum so I won't even put on the hater hat. I had an opinion and I stated it. Why is it okay for some to state their opinions but not okay for others? The world doesn't end because someone gives a negative opinion about any Motown act, including Mary Wilson or Diana Ross. Why are they immune to criticism?

I guess in this forum, if we just criticize a Motown legend, that means we're haters. I don't get that at all.

Like I had people in my Stevie thread where he sings in Japan say they didn't like him "oversinging". The LAST thing that would come to mind is "oh they're just hating".

Least I know Mary can sing real good and I've posted videos of her where she blew me away. One lackluster performance doesn't take away from the 60 years she's contributed to popular music as member of the Supremes just like a few actions by Aretha, Diana and Patti don't take away their own contributions to the industry.

We do end up at some of the same shows it seems. I might have been sitting right next to you. :-)

For this show, I took along a friend who has never seen either lady before. She enjoyed them both but confessed that she really enjoyed Mary. That said, she made a point of asking me the best starter cds by each for a newbie like herself.
    Was Chubby also a part of the show? Was the audience larger than it was at Westbury? I think something went terribly wrong with Westbury for the show to get such a small audience and it was atypical to the the rest of the tour.

It was only Mary and Martha.

The venue they performed at has a seating capacity of 822. I saw a few empty seats here and there, but the majority of them were filled. I think it was promoted well. I received an email the morning the tickets went on sale from the promoter because I had attended one of his concerts in the past. Subsequently, I've been receiving emails from the venue itself, which doesn't hurt. Others coming up on their schedule include Air Supply, John Sebastian, Gordon Lightfoot, and others.
    Last edited by reese; 04-23-2018 at 12:43 PM.

Well said Carlo. And you are one of the most respectful posters here!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    As one of the ones critical of Mary's performance of Supremes songs, I have to conclude that I'm supposedly one of the haters.
    I never pointed out anyone specifically in this thread, so that is your own conclusion, not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Well said Carlo. And you are one of the most respectful posters here!
    Thank you, Luke.

It was only Mary and Martha.

The venue they performed at has a seating capacity of 822. I saw a few empty seats here and there, but the majority of them were filled. I think it was promoted well. I received an email the morning the tickets went on sale from the promoter because I had attended one of his concerts in the past. Subsequently, I've been receiving emails from the venue itself, which doesn't hurt. Others coming up on their schedule include Air Supply, John Sebastian, Gordon Lightfoot, and others.
    What happened to Chubby?

I didn't know it was just 822 lol

The way the posts were, it was over 1,000.

What happened to Chubby?

Chubby was never on the bill of the show that I saw.

Chubby was never on the bill of the show that I saw.
    I see. Is what Mary and Martha doing all over the country together by any chance?

What happened to Chubby?

The show that midnight man saw was in a theatre that held 822. The thread is about last Friday's show at Westburry in Long Island. That theatre has close to 3000 seats.

And now I think I know what the problem was there. The show probably can attract about 1000 or so people and the whole Westburry Theatre [[3000 seats) was made available for this event. That would explain why there were so many empty seats. The theatre can be set up in many configurations making less seating available. That is what should have been done

Dont know how the system works, but a guess is that either Mary's manager, or the promoter decided to have all the seats available hoping that they would all sell. They would have served Mary, Martha and Chubby better if they had had the theatre configured to seat about 1000 to 1500.

But Mary, Chubby and Martha have moved on . Maybe we should too.

Gotcha. Yeah we need to move on. That's what Mary and Martha definitely want. We can't go back, go forward.

I'm still shaking my wig over the "fat white people" comment above. If Ida said "fat black people", SDF would be on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I'm still shaking my wig over the "fat white people" comment above. If Ida said "fat black people", SDF would be on fire.
    Tis true tis true.

Fat isn't even okay anymore. That hurts feelings and we won't have that in Canada.

But fat certainly damages health.