[REMOVE ADS]

Rick James & Smokey Robinson - Ebony Eyes

The moment Rick James [[B*TCH!) and Smokey teamed up to make an R&B classic.

Word on the street was Rick didn't necessarily wanted Smokey on this but this was the type of song that needed a Smokey on it... definitely helped two generations of fans dig the same song together.

I've always loved it but think I might love it more if it had ended up as a Rick only cut.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I've always loved it but think I might love it more if it had ended up as a Rick only cut.
    I can well understand why you would say that RanRan79, but i love Smokey's contribution. I do believe there is a solo version by Rick James in the vault. Maybe we will get to hear it someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I can well understand why you would say that RanRan79, but i love Smokey's contribution. I do believe there is a solo version by Rick James in the vault. Maybe we will get to hear it someday.
    That would be nice. I don't know, I'm thinking this might've been a perfect duet for Rick and a woman. Maybe Rick and Jojo from the Mary Jane Girls? Or Rick and Vernessa Mitchell from High Inergy?

As great as this song is,i too agree that a female co-lead would've been great,now how bout-rick and diana..hmmmmm?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    As great as this song is,i too agree that a female co-lead would've been great,now how bout-rick and diana..hmmmmm?
    I know Rick and Diana both wanted to do songs together but Ewart Abner didn't wanna "dirty up" Diana's image with the "king of punk funk", which is why Rick used the songs he was gonna produce Diana on [[like Deja Vu and Sucker for Your Love on Teena Marie). Which is the reason why Diana went against Motown and hired Ashford & Simpson as payback against Motown's decision to stop the Rick duets. She never forgave Motown for that.

BUT I definitely see Rick & Diana singing the song together. Better fit than Smokey.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Well Diana had left Motown by then, but had she stayed I'm not sure she and Rick's voices would have been a good fit. But I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't love to hear them try.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I know Rick and Diana both wanted to do songs together but Ewart Abner didn't wanna "dirty up" Diana's image with the "king of punk funk", which is why Rick used the songs he was gonna produce Diana on [[like Deja Vu and Sucker for Your Love on Teena Marie). Which is the reason why Diana went against Motown and hired Ashford & Simpson as payback against Motown's decision to stop the Rick duets. She never forgave Motown for that.

BUT I definitely see Rick & Diana singing the song together. Better fit than Smokey.
    What's crazy is that if she was angry about not being produced by Rick and it factored into her leaving Motown, at RCA she went in an even safer direction than Motown wanted her in. But at the end of the day we did get the greatness that was Teena Marie, so who can complain?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    What's crazy is that if she was angry about not being produced by Rick and it factored into her leaving Motown, at RCA she went in an even safer direction than Motown wanted her in. But at the end of the day we did get the greatness that was Teena Marie, so who can complain?
    True lol
    Like today, I can't imagine Diana doing "Sucker" lol