[REMOVE ADS]

19 Essential Diana Ross Songs of the 1990's

interesting list. I to agree much of her music was under rated. but to me, few of the songs are "legendary." Nothing seemed to be truly magically and timeless. Most were fine enough and should have charted. but not been something "forever"

a few I think are especially strong:
    Your Love
    I Will Survive - simply because she's remaking the classic and it works well
    Until we meet again - the more upbeat remix I thought was very good
    Gone
    I never loved a man before - really like this one but the title and chorus are, lyrically, a little clumsy

Not so much
    Best Years Of My Life - she performs well but I think the lyrics needed some help. too repetitive. needed some more story

Fun list; thanks for finding. Lots of great material -

Swing It deserves to be on the list

I agree that Best Years of My Life would not be at the top of my list

I’ve Got A Crush on You might make my list

If I don't see "If You're Not Gonna Love Me Right" on it, it's not a good list then...

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    interesting list. I to agree much of her music was under rated. but to me, few of the songs are "legendary." Nothing seemed to be truly magically and timeless. Most were fine enough and should have charted. but not been something "forever"

a few I think are especially strong:
    Your Love
    I Will Survive - simply because she's remaking the classic and it works well
    Until we meet again - the more upbeat remix I thought was very good
    Gone
    I never loved a man before - really like this one but the title and chorus are, lyrically, a little clumsy

Not so much
    Best Years Of My Life - she performs well but I think the lyrics needed some help. too repetitive. needed some more story
    Yeah, Best Years was so lyrically kindergarten. Diana's vocals made up for it almost.

I Will Survive is, like Respect, a song where you can argued became a classic twice. Gloria Gaynor made it an anthem for women [[and gays made it their anthem too), then Diana redid it and purposely made it for the gays [["this is for my girls") and then had that now-classic video of her, RuPaul and all the drag queens in, I think, San Francisco lol [[still love it to this day).

That was one song I wish Motown had put more promo [[though I can understand why they probably didn't because of the times).

I Never Loved a Man Before was such a classy track though. It's near perfect.

Anyway, I checked the list and I'm in agreement [[and they included IYNGLMR! ).

But I'd argue that another EDIAND track, Got to Be Free, should be on that list too [[seriously Every Day was a GREAT album!):

Very interesting list, and i think we can all [[well almost all) appreciate the great material Diana put out in the 90's. I was lucky enough to be up close and personal with her during this very creative but sorely overlooked period of her career in the States. Some of these choices would not figure in my list, but it is different strokes for different folks i guess. the three 90's albums found our girl at her vocal peak and at the happiest period of her life until it all began to unwind at the end of the decade. Happy memories!
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 04-17-2018 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Not finished my post

Bluebrock - Have loved your posts about Diana during the 80s and 90s.

What would be ur list for top 15 tunes from her Motown 2.0 period?

I had to post my favorite '90s Diana song. I mean, I'm sad they didn't make a music video out of it!

If that is the best she can give her fans, she got what she deserved - a completely devastating fall from the top. Both she and Arne experienced deadly falls from the top of a mountain.

I do not know what caused Arne's fall, but her's was from sheer stupidity. She forgot what made her a star in the first-place - it was Berry, the Motown machine, glamour, great songs, great producers, her voice and charisma. She voluntarily walked away from most of those elements thinking it was all and only about her.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 04-17-2018 at 12:31 PM.

TF kind of comment was that? Glad I got you blocked, dude. You do know Diana's children are probably reading this and you got nerve mentioning their father/stepfather in that kind of light mentioning his tragic accident like that and saying "she ain't nothing with BG". GTFOH.
    Last edited by midnightman; 04-17-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    If that is the best she can give her fans, she got what she deserved - a completely devastating fall from the top. Both she and Arne experienced deadly falls from the top of a mountain.

I do not know what caused Arne's fall, but her's was from sheer stupidity. She forgot what made her a star in the first-place - it was Berry, the Motown machine, glamour, great songs, great producers, her voice and charisma. She voluntarily walked away from most of those elements thinking it was all and only about her.
    Wow Circa, it's like your a Diana lover and a Diana hater all in one...

Circa is a troll.

I need to check out Diana's '90s stuff, I am currently unfamiliar with it all!!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I need to check out Diana's '90s stuff, I am currently unfamiliar with it all!!
    Some of it is amongst her best - not Every Day is a New Day for me

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Circa is a troll.
    Yes. I blocked it years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Very interesting list, and i think we can all [[well almost all) appreciate the great material Diana put out in the 90's. I was lucky enough to be up close and personal with her during this very creative but sorely overlooked period of her career in the States. Some of these choices would not figure in my list, but it is different strokes for different folks i guess. the three 90's albums found our girl at her vocal peak and at the happiest period of her life until it all began to unwind at the end of the decade. Happy memories!
    I love having these underplayed titles in my collection; an exquisite talent at a vocal peak and lots of great material. It's great to revisit these albums and I hope expanded versions appear as the RCA's did a while back. I love that Diana never had to stoop to selling recalled 'memories' and gossip nor 'support' spurious 'charities' for a quick buck when her commercial period reached it's climax. The lady is a CHAMP!!

This screamed heavy Urban AC play!!!

My 90s faves:

When you tell me that you love me
    Your love
    If you’re not gonna love me right
    You make me feel like I never loved a man before
    Keep it right there
    Gone
    I thought that we were still in love
    Every day’s a new day
    Until we meet again love to infinity mix
    Hope is an open window
    Let somebody know
    Take me higher
    He lives in you

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    My 90s faves:

When you tell me that you love me
    Your love
    If you’re not gonna love me right
    You make me feel like I never loved a man before
    Keep it right there
    Gone
    I thought that we were still in love
    Every day’s a new day
    Until we meet again love to infinity mix
    Hope is an open window
    Let somebody know
    Take me higher
    He lives in you
    Can't argue with that list, MM!

Interesting that Change Of Heart isn't included on that list - it was the original title of The Force Behind The Power album and initially scheduled as the lead single.

Quite a few Diana fans really love this track. Reminds me of Gettin' Ready For Love although personally I'm not overkeen on it.

You've got to think that at other various stages of her career tracks like When You Tell Me That You Love Me and Waiting In The Wings would have been huge hits.

This screamed heavy Urban AC play!!!
    Hell yeah. This was a nice one that should have made quite a bit of noise.

I'm a fan of the syrupy ballads myself. Perhaps "Only Love" is my favorite, even though back in the 90s I was not a fan of what I used to call "We Are the World" songs. I didn't even care for "Reach Out and Touch" or "We Are the World" [[I liked them both as a very small kid) and that whole "let's love everybody and everything; you are special; you are somebody" vibe. Of course now as an adult these songs have much better meaning for me and I dig it.

Love this one too.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Interesting that Change Of Heart isn't included on that list - it was the original title of The Force Behind The Power album and initially scheduled as the lead single.

Quite a few Diana fans really love this track. Reminds me of Gettin' Ready For Love although personally I'm not overkeen on it.

You've got to think that at other various stages of her career tracks like When You Tell Me That You Love Me and Waiting In The Wings would have been huge hits.
    Assuredly. Radio airplay is unkind [[and always has been and always will be) to most who have been in the biz more than a few years. Like the popular singers a generation before her Diana concentrated on making quality lps that fans are still discussing decades later.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I'm a fan of the syrupy ballads myself. Perhaps "Only Love" is my favorite, even though back in the 90s I was not a fan of what I used to call "We Are the World" songs. I didn't even care for "Reach Out and Touch" or "We Are the World" [[I liked them both as a very small kid) and that whole "let's love everybody and everything; you are special; you are somebody" vibe. Of course now as an adult these songs have much better meaning for me and I dig it.

People in the "woke" generation need to hear this song. I'm pro black/BLM but I'm also pro unity and equality too. Diana was always the queen of the ballads.

People in the "woke" generation need to hear this song. I'm pro black/BLM but I'm also pro unity and equality too. Diana was always the queen of the ballads.
    Agreed, although in regards to Diana's queendom, I might have to give Whitney the queen crown for ballads. I can't choose the king of ballads between James Ingram, Jeffrey Osborne and Peabo Bryson. Lol

^ That would be Luther for me, hands down.

Agreed, although in regards to Diana's queendom, I might have to give Whitney the queen crown for ballads. I can't choose the king of ballads between James Ingram, Jeffrey Osborne and Peabo Bryson. Lol
    I meant for her time.
    Whitney did get her crown when she came out though.

I agree with sans about Luther being the KING of the ballads. I still miss him... terribly.

It's hard to argue against Luther being the king of anything. I guess for me, Luther's ballads were typically designed to get somebody pregnant [[ ), falling into the sub genre of "slow jam"...if that makes any sense. The three brothas I mentioned earlier didn't do many Luther type ballads [[Jeffrey probably coming the closest), mostly recording either sappy love songs or emotional dramas. I give them the edge over Luther in this regard. But again, I can't argue against Luther. Might have to throw Donny Hathaway in the ring too.
    Last edited by RanRan79; 04-20-2018 at 12:10 AM.

I meant for her time.
    Hmmm, I can get with that. Might have to put Dionne Warwick up against her though. I wonder how Diana and Dionne would've sounded doing a song together when Dionne still had her voice? I wish someone had pitched that idea back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Bluebrock - Have loved your posts about Diana during the 80s and 90s.

What would be ur list for top 15 tunes from her Motown 2.0 period?
    I would have to think long and hard about that one sup fan. I love almost everything on Force behind the power and Take me higher, and there are a few gems on everyday is a new day, not to mention a few excellent outtakes. Many of these songs have a special personal meaning for me for both happy and sad reasons. It really is too difficult to chose.

Teddy and Luther would also figure highly for me, and maybe Freddie Jackson too, but i fear we are going off topic now.

I have to admit that I was not a fan of Everyday Is A New Day when it was released. It has grown on me in the intervening years, though. I still think her return to Motown masterpiece is Take Me Higher. That entire album generates energy. I Thought That We Were Still In Love is one of her best recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I have to admit that I was not a fan of Everyday Is A New Day when it was released. It has grown on me in the intervening years, though. I still think her return to Motown masterpiece is Take Me Higher. That entire album generates energy. I Thought That We Were Still In Love is one of her best recordings.
    EDIAND is a fine album, but for me it just falls slightly short of the previous two. Diana herself was not too fussed with some of the songs on there for some reason.

^ I think this was when Diana was deeply unhappy with the music industry and being a perfectionist, I can see why she wouldn't be such a fan of some of the tracks. It's understandable.

EDIAND is a fine album, but for me it just falls slightly short of the previous two. Diana herself was not too fussed with some of the songs on there for some reason.
    I never really got into EDIAND. IMO, it opens and finishes with some strong tracks, but the songs in the middle just don't grab me. I also understand that Diana was also rather depressed while making this album as her marriage was ending so that might influence her opinion of some of the songs.

but i fear we are going off topic now.
    Hello, are you new here?

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I never really got into EDIAND. IMO, it opens and finishes with some strong tracks, but the songs in the middle just don't grab me. I also understand that Diana was also rather depressed while making this album as her marriage was ending so that might influence her opinion of some of the songs.
    As a fan of Mary J. Blige's 90s work, maybe I just dug it because of that. It had that funk groove and I seriously thought it would open Diana to a new audience but I guess I see why her heart wasn't in it since she shines when she sings positively about love. But still, I like to see her perform some songs off the Take Me Higher album at least. At least she was a little sassy on there [["if you're not gonna love me right, baby don't love me... AT ALL..." don't mind me, I LOVE that song so much!!!).

Hello, are you new here?
    Brand spanking new RanRan79! ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    There are some good outtakes which were in my opinion stronger than some of the songs that made the final cut. Somebody has got a lot to answer for in attempting to sabotage this album, but in fairness Diana was not in a good place, and was not well enough to promote it fully.

^ Yeah Diana was in a downward spiral for four, five years and it started with that album. I'm just glad she got out of that funk. She scared me for a minute. 2003-04 was not a good period for the LEGENDS of entertainment [[Diana, MJ, Janet, etc., were all GOING THROUGH IT in more ways than one!).

But we're going off topic again... FOCUS Midnight lol

There are some good outtakes which were in my opinion stronger than some of the songs that made the final cut.
    There can't be a better reason for a Deluxe version of this album can there!

I love the Force and Take me higher albums but my favorite has to be the Eveyday is a new day album. I love the whole R&b vibe of the album. Nothing better than Sugar Free.

^ "I'm the sweetest taste that you could ever receive..."

Just amazing...

I'm still a sucker for that album. Like I said, I loved it when Diana went deep inside her soul but I can see why the album is a tough subject for her.

Especially this song in particular:

Like I said, there was a strong MJB vibe with this album with its downtempo productions.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    There can't be a better reason for a Deluxe version of this album can there!
    As far as i am aware the expanded versions from her 2nd Motown tenure are still in the works rovereab.

I know the songs are not Diana originals but I really like the Xmas album Very Special Season from 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    I know the songs are not Diana originals but I really like the Xmas album Very Special Season from 1994.
    I am quite surprised that this was never released in the United States. It seems like that would be a no brainer. The recording is quite a lovely holiday album.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    For my money, it's her strongest '90s album. A joy from start to finish.