[REMOVE ADS]

Help Identifying Motown Item.....

Hello All,
    I was wondering if anyone might recognize the gold item in the below photo. I purchased it last Sunday at the Ann Arbor Record Show. I bought it as a Motown item, but I was thrown off a bit by the dot above the Motown M. It's approximately 3/4" wide by 1 1/8" tall. I feel it's a pendant, but I also thought it could have been on a key chain, but would've been a bit small for that. I feel it could have been given to employees for years of service possibly. Any help dating the piece or identifying it would be welcome.
    Thank you,
    Darin

Name:  Motown Pendant.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  93.6 KB

I have no idea but the dot seems to be specifically placed and not central, making the emblem look like two letters, the second being an "i" = so "Ai" perhaps. Alternatively having a duality of purpose, such as Mi or even Motown alumni. Probably no use to you but just a couple of thoughts.

It looks like either a key chain or a refrigerator magnet.

Thanks for the ideas....It's definitely made to be worn, or hanging from something Marv, so I don't feel it was ever a magnet!

My two cents: could a stone of some sort have fit into the area where the "dot" is? Maybe it was a service pin; I know some companies recognize their employees with years corresponding with emerald, ruby, diamond, etc.

I think that is a good guess Mary.

That could very well be, the possibility of a stone set in the dot at one point. Thanks for the replies everyone.
    Darin

This is just a guess. I know at some point, Motown used the corporate name of Motown Industries. I wonder if this could be a twist of their famous logo for the corporate name of Motown Industries.

Now THAT sounds like a real possibility there mofreaktown. The dot is perfectly placed to create an "I", and being this would be in '73 it would fit the era of the piece, heavy gold bling, lol.
    I appreciate the thoughts everyone. Thank you....
    Darin