[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks Reese for reminding me about "He's A Good Guy[[Yes He Is)" one of my faves from that time, yes Smokey wrote & produced and Gladys did an exceptional job on lead. That record was big on Miami POP radio, I was surprised a few years later to find out it was not a big hit nationwide.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The problem for you is that it is not gossip. What I say actually happened. Unless preface something "I can imagine that...." or "In my opinion...." or" Wouldn't it be funny if that happened......." So, like I said, it is not critical that you believe anything that read here.
    Were you there? Would you bet your life that it happened? You claimed Smokey gambled the name away and he didn't. Didn't you claim that actually happened too? I'm not understanding your issue here.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Like I said, folks rely on tea no matter how unsubstantiated it is because they wanna knock an icon down a peg. Since folks tried doing it to Diana, MJ and Marvin, now Smokey is next on the list. Just pathetic.
    I have a feeling this Smokey stuff will die a quick death. They'll start on Stevie next, so get your popcorn ready. I'm guessing he said something mean and nasty to Mary Wilson and that's why "Bad Weather" tanked and the Supremes/Stevie project was abandoned.

I just posted the interview where bill randle interviews gladys while she was in england in 92 she talks about gordy motown and smokey its in the thread titled gladys horton interview 1992 which was posted here interview 2011 listen for yourself in what she had t say.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    I just posted the interview where bill randle interviews gladys while she was in england in 92 she talks about gordy motown and smokey its in the thread titled gladys horton interview 1992 which was posted here interview 2011 listen for yourself in what she had t say.
    The 1990 interview she did on "Live in LA" with Tanya Hart, 1990 BET. along with Miss Raynoma Gordy Singleton, I have on VHS and unfortunately it is not on Youtube.
    Last edited by marv2; 04-17-2018 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Were you there? Would you bet your life that it happened? You claimed Smokey gambled the name away and he didn't. Didn't you claim that actually happened too? I'm not understanding your issue here.
    Were you there when they crucified My Lord? Yet you believe he died on the cross right?

Were you there when they crucified My Lord? Yet you believe he died on the cross right?
    Oh damn, Marv's playing the Jesus card

Y'all didn't listen to what Marvin Gaye said:

"People say believe half of what you see, son, and none of what you hear..."

Y'all are fools for clinging on to a 1990s interview because Gladys HEARD what was going on. I bet when she finally investigated it [[prior to her getting sick) that that wasn't the case and it was just Larry's doing.

You're not doing Gladys justice thinking what she heard is "proof" Smokey was being dirty with a name that was in only Motown's and the Marvelettes members' control to begin with.

Nice try though. "Don't mess with Bill" indeed.
    Last edited by midnightman; 04-17-2018 at 02:53 PM.

Wow,nice to see some passion for the marvelettes[my favorite girl group]now i ain't getting into the who said this or that,all that i'll say is that perhaps smokey chose wanda's voice because he liked the sweeter softer side of a woman's voice..he recorded mary wells softer side where as berry wanted her to be mable john,he choose david for[my girl]maybe because he heard something more mellow in his delivery as opposed to the great paul williams who while great sang with more sadness in his voice,just my humble opinion..marvelettes and motown forever!

Exactly Arr&Bee. But people wanna be about gossip... I'm just tired of it.
    I mean if Smokey really hated Gladys, explain why he still produced songs that featured her on leads. Only difference was they weren't released as singles and Motown decided the Wanda leads were perfect for them at this point. It was a label decision after all!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    No, but I think I got out of him what I wanted. So continue on.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Wow,nice to see some passion for the marvelettes[my favorite girl group]now i ain't getting into the who said this or that,all that i'll say is that perhaps smokey chose wanda's voice because he liked the sweeter softer side of a woman's voice..he recorded mary wells softer side where as berry wanted her to be mable john,he choose david for[my girl]maybe because he heard something more mellow in his delivery as opposed to the great paul williams who while great sang with more sadness in his voice,just my humble opinion..marvelettes and motown forever!
    Great post JAI! You go man!

Exactly Arr&Bee. But people wanna be about gossip... I'm just tired of it.
    I mean if Smokey really hated Gladys, explain why he still produced songs that featured her on leads. Only difference was they weren't released as singles and Motown decided the Wanda leads were perfect for them at this point. It was a label decision after all!
    Me, I just went by Fran's original question and answer with what I know to be true. I did not answer in order to please everyone reading this thread or to feed into their mythical, fantasy of Motown! Life is hard. LOL!!!!

Thanks Fran. I don't have the time at the moment but I'll look at it before the day is over for sure and then comment.

Did you just compare a faith and belief in Christ to believing in, um, you? Yes I believe He was crucified and not only died on the cross but arose three days later. That's never a point I will argue with anyone. Ever. But I do not believe that you are my Lord and Savior, therefore I will refer you to the Bible to read what is written about [[a) putting one's trust in man, and [[b) gossiping. You are a gossiper. Whether you're actually making up stuff or repeating gossip you heard aint my business. But I know there is never a day when I will just blindly trust a word you say. And I would never ask you to do the same of me. That's the difference between you and I.

Btw, you don't ever want to bring Jesus into a back and forth with me. That's a very poor decision on your part and a dialogue you will not be able to match me in. Good day to you sir.

That ought to tell you what kind of leg he had to stand on in the first place. But he won't make that mistake again. That card game is officially over.

Me, I just went by Fran's original question and answer with what I know to be true.
    And yet you still can't say how you know it's true. We both know you weren't there- you've told us countless times that you were a mere babe in the 1960s, unless of course you're lying about that- so how can you say with such certainty that something is true? I get it if you say "well I heard Smokey insulted Gladys...". But when you say you "know", you're implying that you were a first person witness because only someone present actually knows what happened during any given event. Anything else is speculation. And speculation is fine but call it what it is. You keep trying to present speculation as fact and then want to not only cop an attitude but get blasphemous when people call you on it.

And yet you still can't say how you know it's true. We both know you weren't there- you've told us countless times that you were a mere babe in the 1960s, unless of course you're lying about that- so how can you say with such certainty that something is true? I get it if you say "well I heard Smokey insulted Gladys...". But when you say you "know", you're implying that you were a first person witness because only someone present actually knows what happened during any given event. Anything else is speculation. And speculation is fine but call it what it is. You keep trying to present speculation as fact and then want to not only cop an attitude but get blasphemous when people call you on it.
    Look, I know you cannot be this stupid. What little I can and do share comes from first person witnesses as you call them. Fran asked what happened and I told her what happened and it was not for the reasons some keep throwing around here. Same thing with all that crap discussed about Berry Gordy and Jean Terrell. If you cannot take these little tastes, these little morsels of truth, I don't know what to tell you. Either you've lived a very sheltered life far different from mine or the people that came from Motown or you are just pretending to be overwhelmed so much that you just cannot believe these things happened. As I said, you cannot be this stupid. Quit playing!

Did you just compare a faith and belief in Christ to believing in, um, you? Yes I believe He was crucified and not only died on the cross but arose three days later. That's never a point I will argue with anyone. Ever. But I do not believe that you are my Lord and Savior, therefore I will refer you to the Bible to read what is written about [[a) putting one's trust in man, and [[b) gossiping. You are a gossiper. Whether you're actually making up stuff or repeating gossip you heard aint my business. But I know there is never a day when I will just blindly trust a word you say. And I would never ask you to do the same of me. That's the difference between you and I.

Btw, you don't ever want to bring Jesus into a back and forth with me. That's a very poor decision on your part and a dialogue you will not be able to match me in. Good day to you sir.
    But you weren't there...............

How can a man born in the late '60s act like he knew that Gladys and Smokey were pulling hair?

That'll be like me, a mid-1980s baby and '90s child, claiming he knew Diana stood MJ up during their "fling" or whatever Lipstick Alley believes the next day...

Why didn't Smokey get a Motown Dearest book too? LOL

Two incidents that seem to come from gossip columns [[including Gladys Horton's own words) and we're supposed to believe William "Smokey" Robinson is a devil incarnate.

We got to exorcise Tony Turner from this forum.

No, but I think I got out of him what I wanted. So continue on.
    Now wtf does that mean? LOL

Did you just compare a faith and belief in Christ to believing in, um, you?
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh LOL

What little I can and do share comes from first person witnesses as you call them.
    Does that make it second hand knowledge then Marv?

Nope not really because I stick to exactly what I have been told by the principles involved.

He proved to me that he just likes to argue. I am not here for that. So unfortunately, I've had to now banish him to that netherworld of the "Ignored"! LOL! I really did not want to do that, but he left me no choice. He now joins my hall of fame of people that use to exist to me on the forum. LOL!!!

Why is he going on about religion now???

LOL

Whatever he thinks. I don't think even he knows. OH I get it. His real name is Karceno from YouTube.

"The Truth Behind The Time Smokey Robinson Stole Stevie Wonder's Shades During a Motortown Revue in New Jersey" by Marv2.

I have a feeling this Smokey stuff will die a quick death. They'll start on Stevie next, so get your popcorn ready. I'm guessing he said something mean and nasty to Mary Wilson and that's why "Bad Weather" tanked and the Supremes/Stevie project was abandoned.
    "Stevie wanted Lynda to join and talked crap about Mary and that's why the Supremes and Stevie's project flopped".

So as we all know I've been placed on Marv's ignore list. At first I was annoyed, not with Marv but at myself, because Marv ignored me before I could ignore him! Lol But then I thought this is a good thing. He has realized that he can't go toe to toe with me when he's talking nonsense. My words will shake him every time. So there's nothing for me to be annoyed about. I'm officially taking my blocked status as a compliment.

Now having said that, I will not allow his last words to me to stand alone without being addressed, whether he sneaks and reads it or not. Despite his accusation, I do not like to argue for arguments sake. What I do like to do is call people on their bullshit and Marv was talking bullshit. In a post somewhere above, he actually refuted my claim that he was spreading gossip by saying that what he says comes from what someone else told him. Even if you're an ally of Marv, you have to admit that this is just dumb and suggests that either he's an idiot [[which I don't believe is true) or he hopes that the people reading his words are idiots and don't know the difference between second hand gossip and first hand knowledge. I am not an idiot. I know the difference and as sure as I know that we're corresponding in the Motown forum of Soulful Detroit, I know that you can't claim first hand knowledge when the only knowledge you have is what someone else told you.

I'll wear my blocked status with pride. How does it look on me?

Yes Tom, that's exactly what it would be. Could you imagine Marv in court?

Lawyer: Marv, you're claiming today that Smokey Robinson insulted Gladys Horton, correct?

Marv: That is correct. He insulted her.

Lawyer: Do you know this to be fact?

Marv: Yes I do.

Lawyer: How?

Marv: Someone- I can't say who- told me.

Lawyer: Oh, so you don't know if this is true?

Marv: It's true.

Lawyer: But you don't know it's true.

Marv: Yes I do. Someone told me.

Lawyer: Objection. This is hearsay.

Marv: Look, no it isn't. I only tell facts and the fact is that someone- I can't say who- told me what Smokey said to Gladys. So I know all about it.

Lawyer: That's not first hand knowledge Marv.

Marv: Yes it is because I know first hand who told me. I can't say who.

Lawyer: Your honor I'm going home to kill myself, so no further questions for this witness.

Judge: Marv you may step down.

Marv: Mary Wilson rules!!!

Whatever he thinks. I don't think even he knows. OH I get it. His real name is Karceno from YouTube.

"The Truth Behind The Time Smokey Robinson Stole Stevie Wonder's Shades During a Motortown Revue in New Jersey" by Marv2.
    Ha!!! And you know Marv's account would be that Diana Ross put Smokey up to it.

I’ve been around Smokey a few times and he can be rude and arrogant - or charming [[if he wishes.)

‘’I’ve heard he had no use for Gladys as a singer, for whatever reason, but it is just heresay. I only repeat as fact if I saw it or was told by the person concerned.

Marv u got ur hands full w these haters. I believe smokey was not nice to gladys and in having something to do with no a singles being released on gladys after too many fish and according to cat claimed wanda was not reliable and begged gladys please dont leave. Gladys horton formed the marvelettes and restricting single relesses only to eanda who had great hits btw was just mean.

Didn't Alexander O'Neal have a song for this type of stuff? MotownManiac just mentioned it lol

Marv u got ur hands full w these haters. I believe smokey was not nice to gladys and in having something to do with no a singles being released on gladys after too many fish and according to cat claimed wanda was not reliable and begged gladys please dont leave. Gladys horton formed the marvelettes and restricting single relesses only to eanda who had great hits btw was just mean.
    Like Berry Gordy said, I've washed my hands of the haters! LOL! I had to put a few on ignore. Anyway, it was mean what was done to Gladys for personal reasons rather than professional ones. Gladys had the ability to sell records as proved by the Marvelettes earlier hits. To abruptly stop issuing singles with her on the lead was like she had left the group when she had not. Wanda did have some major issues. I met her years later and she was pretty messed up. I remember legendary Detroit DJ "Frantic" Ernie Durham asking me if I would please ride with her in the elevator to the dressing rooms to make sure she got there!

Wow that must hsve been something. If wanda didnt have issues w her sister being killed t group mite have gone on through t early 70s

Wow that must hsve been something. If wanda didnt have issues w her sister being killed t group mite have gone on through t early 70s
    Yes that tragedy with her sister really messed with her head. I could see the group going on to probably 1980 or around there.

I recall a post Susaye Greene made on here several years ago telling Marv that he wasn’t there

Some first hand talk

From glancing at this, it might be relevant

Oh did she?

OOPS.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I recall a post Susaye Greene made on here several years ago telling Marv that he wasn’t there

Some first hand talk

Go back to sleep! You never have anything of value to offer the discussion. LOL!

Some first hand talk

Shouldn't you be finding out the next time Diana Ross goes grocery shopping with her daughter and posting it here? hehehehehehe!

Wanda did have some major issues. I met her years later and she was pretty messed up. I remember legendary Detroit DJ "Frantic" Ernie Durham asking me if I would please ride with her in the elevator to the dressing rooms to make sure she got there!
    You always seem to be 20 Feet from Stardom.

I dont think he was 20 ft from stardom.. He was just watching over a dear motown ex singer who needed a watchful eye.

Some first hand talk

Now that would be first hand knowledge. If I repeat the story it will be hearsay on my part. How is it that a couple of people don't seem to understand that? Oh well, their problem, not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    You always seem to be 20 Feet from Stardom.
    More like 20 feet from someone always willing to share some gossip with him about Motown acts. Dude is a joke.

Nope not really because I stick to exactly what I have been told by the principles involved.
    But if you have been told by someone else, and then you tell us, the information you give us is second hand, right...?

Yes Tom, that's exactly what it would be. Could you imagine Marv in court?

Lawyer: Marv, you're claiming today that Smokey Robinson insulted Gladys Horton, correct?

Marv: That is correct. He insulted her.

Lawyer: Do you know this to be fact?

Marv: Yes I do.

Lawyer: How?

Marv: Someone- I can't say who- told me.

Lawyer: Oh, so you don't know if this is true?

Marv: It's true.

Lawyer: But you don't know it's true.

Marv: Yes I do. Someone told me.

Lawyer: Objection. This is hearsay.

Marv: Look, no it isn't. I only tell facts and the fact is that someone- I can't say who- told me what Smokey said to Gladys. So I know all about it.

Lawyer: That's not first hand knowledge Marv.

Marv: Yes it is because I know first hand who told me. I can't say who.

Lawyer: Your honor I'm going home to kill myself, so no further questions for this witness.

Judge: Marv you may step down.

Marv: Mary Wilson rules!!!
    LOL

well RanRan it's a shame Marv won't see this

[[or will he? )

Marv u got ur hands full w these haters.
    Hi fran, I wouldn't say people are hating on marv, just questioning his source of information, how he knows so much. This is a perfectly legitimate question in my opinion, particularly on an Internet forum.

Like Berry Gordy said, I've washed my hands of the haters! LOL!
    Hey Marv are you comparing yourself to Berry Gordy now?! I mean, Jesus was a long shot...

LOL

well RanRan it's a shame Marv won't see this

[[or will he? )
    I know right? He has such a great sense of humor that I just know he'd get a kick out of it.