[REMOVE ADS]

In Loving Memory of Esther Gordy Edwards

On Wednesday, April 25, Founders Day will again be held at the Motown Museum in Detroit from 10 AM until 6 PM. They are offering 1/2 price admissions all day long.

Mrs. Edwards was a kind, generous, and wonderful lady. She was instrumental in the establishment of Motown and it's development. She was also responsible for creating and keeping the Motown Museum and its legacy after it was officially designated in 1985.

Please keep her in your prayers and thoughts on Wednesday, April 25.

The world has not been the same without her. She was an outstanding person that we all owe a debt of gratitude to for her foresight in creating the Motown Museum.

I knew Mrs. Edwards. Worked as a volunteer for and with her. She was also very smart, extremely funny [[sometimes on purpose, sometimes just naturally), yes very generous, very organized, just a very together person. I miss her, as I do so many people from Detroit. I wished that I could attend. I may send others in my place. Thank you Woodward.

Well said, Marv. Mrs. Edwards was an exceptional woman and I was fortunate to know her and learn a couple of things along the way from her. Russ and I called her Auntie Esther.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Well said, Marv. Mrs. Edwards was an exceptional woman and I was fortunate to know her and learn a couple of things along the way from her. Russ and I called her Auntie Esther.
    Ralph, I can't remember now, but wasn't Mrs. Edwards involved at one time with City of Detroit government? I want to say she was on city council, but I don't think that was it. I know her husband, Mr. Edwards was a Michigan State Senator.

Yep! She was like an Aunt or like a Grandma, Godmother or whatever. You could just easily relate to her because you knew she would never steer you wrong. Kat of the Marvelettes told me she was their chaperone years ago on the road and she wouldn't let anything happen to them.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I knew Mrs. Edwards. Worked as a volunteer for and with her. She was also very smart, extremely funny [[sometimes on purpose, sometimes just naturally), yes very generous, very organized, just a very together person. I miss her, as I do so many people from Detroit. I wished that I could attend. I may send others in my place. Thank you Woodward.
    Marv my out of town clients always had me take them to see Ms. Edwards. She was great for my business and always willing to take photos. She would also organize the whole photo session. Damn she was good at it. Miss her.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Marv my out of town clients always had me take them to see Ms. Edwards. She was great for my business and always willing to take photos. She would also organize the whole photo session. Damn she was good at it. Miss her.
    She was a great lady. I'll always remember her.

Marv, I'm not sure what Mrs Edwards did after I left Detroit in 78. On visits back I would always make it a point to check in with her until that would eventually stop. Yes her husband was a respected judge in Detroit.

Marv, I'm not sure what Mrs Edwards did after I left Detroit in 78. On visits back I would always make it a point to check in with her until that would eventually stop. Yes her husband was a respected judge in Detroit.
    Ralph, amazing. I moved to Colorado in 1978! I just remembered, it was the Detroit Chamber of Commerce that Mrs. Edwards was heavily involved with. I remember coming home one year in the 80s and I saw her dressed as a clown in the Hudson's Thanksgiving Day Parade! LOL!!!1

Marv: She was a member of the Detroit Bank of the Commonwealth Board of Directors, becoming one of the few women directors of a national bank. She also was the first African-American person appointed to Detroit's Recorder's Court Jury Commission and eventually became the Chairman. She was also the first African-American woman elected Delegate-at-Large for the state of Michigan to the 1960 Democratic National Convention. One outstanding recognition she received was in 1971 the Detroit News named her one of Detroit's Ten "Big Wheels." What an outstanding recognition

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Marv: She was a member of the Detroit Bank of the Commonwealth Board of Directors, becoming one of the few women directors of a national bank. She also was the first African-American person appointed to Detroit's Recorder's Court Jury Commission and eventually became the Chairman. She was also the first African-American woman elected Delegate-at-Large for the state of Michigan to the 1960 Democratic National Convention. One outstanding recognition she received was in 1971 the Detroit News named her one of Detroit's Ten "Big Wheels." What an outstanding recognition
    Thank you Woodward! I really do appreciate this information. I think Mrs. Edwards would make a great biography subject. Her story, her accomplishments would be inspiring to others.

She sounds like a lovely lady. The whole family are to be respected for what each achieved in their own way.

Nice to hear these personal accounts from people who knew her and admired her .

Name:  Founders Day 2018.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  93.5 KBName:  Founders Day 2018.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  93.3 KBName:  Interview at Motown Founders day celebration.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  88.3 KBName:  With Museum staff at Founders Day.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  92.1 KB

A few pics of yesterday's celebration
    Last edited by ralpht; 04-26-2018 at 02:27 PM.

Name:  Founders Day 2018.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  93.5 KBName:  Founders Day 2018.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  93.3 KBName:  Interview at Motown Founders day celebration.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  88.3 KBName:  With Museum staff at Founders Day.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  92.1 KB

A few pics of yesterday's celebration
    There he goes! The Godfadda! Hey great pics Ralph. Who is that gorgeous lady with you?

Ralph, did they interview you?

The gorgeous lady with me is Shelia.

Yes Marv, they interviewed me. I think it will appear in a week or so on Motown's website.

The gorgeous lady with me is Shelia.

Yes Marv, they interviewed me. I think it will appear in a week or so on Motown's website.
    I will look for it. They send me stuff on Twitter, but when the interview is posted, maybe we can share it over here? Me like Sheila.......hehehehehe!

Hey Marv, you may think I typeod her name but it is actually spelled shelia, but pronounced she la.

Here is a link to Motown's Facebook page with several pics of yesterday.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7798755&type=1

Hey Marv, you may think I typeod her name but it is actually spelled shelia, but pronounced she la.

Here is a link to Motown's Facebook page with several pics of yesterday.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7798755&type=1
    Oh no problem Ralph. She does looked nice to me. I check out the other photos now. Thank you!