[REMOVE ADS]

The Greatest Love Ballad of the '90s

It may sound like I'm exaggerating when I say this but I am dead serious.

Theo Peoples WROTE and SANG the h-e-double hockey sticks out of this song. This song is why people really BOUGHT this album and gave the Temptations their first million selling album in two decades.

Can't believe it's 20 years old! Motown should've released this when they had the chance. Would've been as big a hit as "Stay"!

I had to include the intro from Otis leading to this song... it adds so much to it.

I wouldn't call it the greatest, but it's a classic for sure. My mother LOVED it. Played it out. One of my cousins got married to it. I haven't listened to it in a long time.

Yeah it's just my opinion but when I heard it as a 14-year-old, blew me away... I mean, EIGHT MINUTES!? And Theo was going on and on. I think he overdubbed his background vocals on this song since you could barely hear the other Tempts so they had to sing to let you know "yeah we're in it".

But I was blown away when I first heard it. It reminded me of those long but to the point '70s ballads like Always and Forever and 'Cause I Love You, which also ran for long times lol

It definitely had an old school flavor to it while still sounding very up to date. IMO that's what often is missing from the legendary acts who are still recording...even in the late 90s. Most of the time they are either trying to be something they aren't, in order to keep up with the current crop of popular artists, or the sound is so dated that it sounds like someone doing Karaoke. The Tempts at the time really had a good thing going.

^ So true. Everything on the Phoenix Rising album was so timeless to me. Even now I can still listen to it and think "no it's not getting old". In my ears anyway lol

I love the Phoenix Rising album and like you think 'This Is My Promise To You' is one hell of a track and I'm trying to convince my daughter to play this at her wedding later this year. As for the Stay track that is one of my all time favourite Temps tracks.

When I first listened to this album a while back I remember really loving this track. I listened to it recently and was totally disappointed by it. I just listened to it now and we're somewhere in the middle... great performance by Terry and great sax!! I still love "Stay" of course!!!!!!

This is nice, but the greatest love ballad of the 90s and perhaps of anytime is Whitney Houston- "I Will Always Love You"!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This is nice, but the greatest love ballad of the 90s and perhaps of anytime is Whitney Houston- "I Will Always Love You"!
    You mean of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    You mean of all time.
    That too. I have not heard anything in the last 20 or more years that can top that song.

I can pick 1000 ballads I like better than "I Will Always Love You". I liked it when it was new but it was played so much that I quickly started hating it. And hating it I did for many, many years. I'm now at the point where I tolerate it. Whitney's vocal performance on it is impeccable. But personally I prefer "Didn't We Almost Have It All" or "Saving All My Love For You" to "I Will Always Love You".

My vote, on the nineties, Johnny Gill's "My, My, My".

I love "This Is My Promise Too", but when it is "The Greatest", it usually means something more accomplished, Billboard-chart-numbers and overall mark on timeless memorability-wise.

Factually, the nineties, would be some pop I no longer care for, been done and played and listened everywhere for hundreds of times, such as "I Will Always Love You", "End Of The Road", "I'll Make Love To You", "I Swear", "Always Be My Baby", "One Sweet Day", and "Never Wanna Miss A Thing".

But hey, "My, My, My", still steaming, to me probably just as much as when it first played on 1990, a Johnny Gill / Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds classic, and a top ten pop, number one R&B.

Always liked Theo as a vocalist and singer, really like the track, but I find the long spoken intro and phone a turn off, the reason I could never play it on radio.

My favorite from the 90s is probably "Something in My Heart" by Michel'le.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    When I first listened to this album a while back I remember really loving this track. I listened to it recently and was totally disappointed by it. I just listened to it now and we're somewhere in the middle... great performance by Terry and great sax!! I still love "Stay" of course!!!!!!
    Oops I mean Theo of course

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Always liked Theo as a vocalist and singer, really like the track, but I find the long spoken intro and phone a turn off, the reason I could never play it on radio.
    Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
    Yes! lol, the good thing on Spotify [[can't believe I use it so much these days, used to think it was only for young kids lol, see iTunes are going the same way with subscription only) is they cut the intro out and I love the track, shame they do not hav much on Theo just one solo track off a compilation.

By the way I do not pay for Spotify lol, I can put up with a 30 second advert, I have so many soul artists collections on there now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    My vote, on the nineties, Johnny Gill's "My, My, My".

I love "This Is My Promise Too", but when it is "The Greatest", it usually means something more accomplished, Billboard-chart-numbers and overall mark on timeless memorability-wise.

Factually, the nineties, would be some pop I no longer care for, been done and played and listened everywhere for hundreds of times, such as "I Will Always Love You", "End Of The Road", "I'll Make Love To You", "I Swear", "Always Be My Baby", "One Sweet Day", and "Never Wanna Miss A Thing".

But hey, "My, My, My", still steaming, to me probably just as much as when it first played on 1990, a Johnny Gill / Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds classic, and a top ten pop, number one R&B.
    I agree about "the greatest" in a technical sense. "Thriller" would be the greatest album based on it's facts, but I'm sure many people have albums on their favorites list that they feel is the "greater" album. I think the way "greatest" has been used in this thread is in an opinion based way.

"My My My" is always in heavy rotation for me. Johnny put his foot in that song.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    My favorite from the 90s is probably "Something in My Heart" by Michel'le.
    Another one I keep in constant rotation. Michel'le's finest moment IMO. Also "If" by Michel'le is a killer.

Oh man, don't get me started on Michel'le!!! LOVE that song. She should've blown up though. :/

Oh man, don't get me started on Michel'le!!! LOVE that song. She should've blown up though. :/
    She was pretty big for a minute. And I do mean a minute. Sadly her personal life bogged her career down. She was on R&B Divas for a couple seasons and should have used that as a platform to get some music out there [[she recorded a dance cut on the show and personally I thought she should have attempted to rebrand herself as a dance club diva) but the show just seemed to spotlight her mental issues and keep people talking about the used to be men in her life. I haven't heard a peep about her since her biopic on TVOne two or three years ago.

"100% Woman" from the same album as "Something in My Heart" is also evidence of her dance track chops!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    She was pretty big for a minute. And I do mean a minute. Sadly her personal life bogged her career down. She was on R&B Divas for a couple seasons and should have used that as a platform to get some music out there [[she recorded a dance cut on the show and personally I thought she should have attempted to rebrand herself as a dance club diva) but the show just seemed to spotlight her mental issues and keep people talking about the used to be men in her life. I haven't heard a peep about her since her biopic on TVOne two or three years ago.
    I know very little about this girl. She kind of bypassed me rightly or wrongly. Is she worth checking out?

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    "100% Woman" from the same album as "Something in My Heart" is also evidence of her dance track chops!
    I can hear that, although I don't really think of the song as a dance club track. The hiphop influence is heavy on this one. The song she was recording a couple years ago was more of a dance/disco type cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I know very little about this girl. She kind of bypassed me rightly or wrongly. Is she worth checking out?
    She was sort of a precursor to Mary J Blige in that her r&b voice was paired up with hiphop tracks. So if you dig hiphop, especially early 90s California hiphop, then she's worth checking out. Her ballads are killer, so even if hiphop isn't your thing [[or wasn't back in the day) you might still dig some of the slow cuts as she was a fantastic vocalist.

“Kissing You” by Keith Washington was one of my favorite ‘90s love ballads. Whitney’s “All The Man That I Need” was another favorite. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah I remembered that. Just sad. You saw that movie of hers? Made What's Love Got to Do With It look like a Disney film [[which technically it was). UGH!!!

I wonder if she got paid for that movie and that's why she's disappeared again?

I agree, Jim, about Kissing You [[Keith is another Detroit singer I wished was bigger than he was; Kissing You was a premier R&B ballad for that year it was out [[1991)). I also loved Phil Perry's version of Call Me [[not as epic as Ree's, but for the '90s it was perfect and his vocals are OUT OF THIS WORLD!).

Quote Originally Posted by JimBagley View Post
    “Kissing You” by Keith Washington was one of my favorite ‘90s love ballads. Whitney’s “All The Man That I Need” was another favorite. Thanks for sharing.
    "Kissing You" was fantastic. As much as I love it, I actually prefer the followup "Are You Still In Love With Me" which is one of my all time favorite songs ever.

Yeah I remembered that. Just sad. You saw that movie of hers? Made What's Love Got to Do With It look like a Disney film [[which technically it was). UGH!!!

I wonder if she got paid for that movie and that's why she's disappeared again?

I agree, Jim, about Kissing You [[Keith is another Detroit singer I wished was bigger than he was; Kissing You was a premier R&B ballad for that year it was out [[1991)). I also loved Phil Perry's version of Call Me [[not as epic as Ree's, but for the '90s it was perfect and his vocals are OUT OF THIS WORLD!).
    Yes the movie really spotlighted how difficult her life has been. Tina's movie had a very happy ending which I think lightens the mood a bit. You know even before the end that Tina Turner would triumph above it all. Michel'le's movie just makes you cringe because she still hasn't really risen above what happened, at least career wise at this point. Hopefully she is in a better place emotionally.

Phil Perry has killer vocals. He was a member of a group in the 70s who had a nice album, which I have somewhere.

Just looked it up, Phil was with the Montclairs.

Yes the movie really spotlighted how difficult her life has been. Tina's movie had a very happy ending which I think lightens the mood a bit. You know even before the end that Tina Turner would triumph above it all. Michel'le's movie just makes you cringe because she still hasn't really risen above what happened, at least career wise at this point. Hopefully she is in a better place emotionally.

Phil Perry has killer vocals. He was a member of a group in the 70s who had a nice album, which I have somewhere.
    That's so true. Tina's film was about how she overcame what she went through, you don't get that with Michel'le.

And yeah Phil was with the Montclairs. He also co-wrote Aretha's comeback hit, "United Together".

"Kissing You" was fantastic. As much as I love it, I actually prefer the followup "Are You Still In Love With Me" which is one of my all time favorite songs ever.
    The whole album was a joy from start to finish. He never came close to topping it with subsequent albums. Great singer who really should have become a superstar.

She was sort of a precursor to Mary J Blige in that her r&b voice was paired up with hiphop tracks. So if you dig hiphop, especially early 90s California hiphop, then she's worth checking out. Her ballads are killer, so even if hiphop isn't your thing [[or wasn't back in the day) you might still dig some of the slow cuts as she was a fantastic vocalist.
    Thanks for that. I do quite like the early hiphop so maybe she would appeal to me. I remember looking at her cd in the 90's but did not actually purchase it. Cheers RanRan79.