[REMOVE ADS]

CBC Tommy Chong Documentary

There is a documentary on CBC about Tommy Chong on W5 - with lengthy interviews with him and about his activism about marijuana which will be legal in Canada shortly

They say he was a member of Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers and that they were discovered by Diana Ross and the Supremes!

Lots of first hand interviews for anyone interested - I think it’s an hour long

I had never heard the Supremes connection but this is a Tommy Chong show

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    There is a documentary on CBC about Tommy Chong on W5 - with lengthy interviews with him and about his activism about marijuana which will be legal in Canada shortly

They say he was a member of Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers and that they were discovered by Diana Ross and the Supremes!

Lots of first hand interviews for anyone interested - I think it’s an hour long

I had never heard the Supremes connection but this is a Tommy Chong show
    This should be good. I will have to look for it online . For the record, it was Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard that saw the group at a place called The Elegant Parlor in Vancouver one night. It was Mary Wilson that immediately called Berry Gordy and insisted that he came to the club to hear them. Diana Ross was not there, in fact the next night Mr. Gordy had to demand that Ross come with him to check out Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers. She did not want to, but went along because Mr. Gordy insisted. She sat there during the Vancouvers entire set frowning and acting bored and pissed off. Afterwards, according to Bobby Taylor she would not even shake his hand and he hated her guts from then on.

I want to check Tommy's documentary out. He and Cheech were my favorites when I was in Jr. High. His daughter, Rae Dawn Chong turned out to be a really good actress.
    Last edited by marv2; 04-09-2018 at 03:23 PM. Reason: the club was the Elegant Parlor, not The Cave

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    He and Cheech were my favorites when I was in Jr. High. His daughter, Rae Dawn Chong turned out to be a really good actress.
    So Marv, was Jr. High Junior HIGH, Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    So Marv, was Jr. High Junior HIGH, Lol!
    I didn't, but there were some that did! LOL!!!!

Why does there always seem to be a Supremes connection to these threads lately? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Why does there always seem to be a Supremes connection to these threads lately? Lol
    They are seminal to Motown.

You should go find this documentary; Tommy talks a lot.

I guess his one remaining broken relationship is with Cheech - but they have worked together.

I also think Tommy has done well enough financially - from the surroundings in the documentary. But who knows, perhaps it was staged.

Well I know they discovered them but that's a footnote lol

Least he got to make history of some sort writing Does Your Mama Know About Me before he made comedy history with Cheech and Chong.

Thing was Tommy wasn't a comic until he got with Marin lol

He was a musician first. It's kinda sad [[well not sad because I appreciate his activism) all he is known for nowadays is being a weed activist and part of Cheech and Chong because I do think his musical accomplishments, small as it was, should be acknowledged as well.

I don't know. You would have to ask Jobeterob as he is the one that started this thread about Tommy Chong and immediately inserted the Supremes into it. Unfortunately for him, it forced me to include the missing information that reflects badly on Diana Ross his sole purpose for even being here! LOL!!!

Well I know they discovered them but that's a footnote lol

Least he got to make history of some sort writing Does Your Mama Know About Me before he made comedy history with Cheech and Chong.

Thing was Tommy wasn't a comic until he got with Marin lol

He was a musician first. It's kinda sad [[well not sad because I appreciate his activism) all he is known for nowadays is being a weed activist and part of Cheech and Chong because I do think his musical accomplishments, small as it was, should be acknowledged as well.
    Midnightman, it is clear that you are young or at least younger than myself. You can go up to any person in their late forties and older and mention "Cheech and Chong" or "Sister Mary Elephant" and they will know exactly what you are talking about! Cheech and Chong were superstars in the 70s:

Here is a current article on them published just 2 hours ago [[ uploaded I mean) by Forbes Magazine:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/simonth.../#7487e9c83a0f
    Last edited by marv2; 04-09-2018 at 05:29 PM.

I don't know. You would have to ask Jobeterob as he is the one that started this thread about Tommy Chong and immediately inserted the Supremes into it. Unfortunately for him, it forced me to include the missing information that reflects badly on Diana Ross his sole purpose for even being here! LOL!!!
    I bet you squeezed out a good nutt for the opportunity to tell that story again. LMAO

Midnightman, it is clear that you are young or at least younger than myself. You can go up to any person in their late forties and older and mention "Cheech and Chong" or "Sister Mary Elephant" and they will know exactly what you are talking about! Cheech and Chong were superstars in the 70s:

Here is a current article on them published just 2 hours ago [[ uploaded I mean) by Forbes Magazine:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/simonth.../#7487e9c83a0f
    Duh, who don't know Cheech and Chong? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I bet you squeezed out a good nutt for the opportunity to tell that story again. LMAO
    Only a freak could bring that to his mind........hehehehehehehe!

I'm actually glad Tommy Chong is getting posted here. He's part of Motown after all!

I'm actually glad Tommy Chong is getting posted here. He's part of Motown after all!
    He totally is.

Only a freak could bring that to his mind........hehehehehehehe!
    And you know it!!!

https://youtu.be/oP3-pU1sFmY

This looks like the real program complete with Diana being featured

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    https://youtu.be/oP3-pU1sFmY

This looks like the real program complete with Diana being featured
    I thought you said it was on the CBC? Tomorrow night is Rick Mercer's farewell special show. He is going off the air after a number of years

Reunion....!!!!

Attachment 14141

Mary Wilson with Cheech & Chong.

Name:  Cheech & Chong with Mary Wilson.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  57.8 KB