[REMOVE ADS]

Martha and Mary in concert west of Boston, MA

Martha Reeves & The Vandellas and Mary Wilson to perform in Lexington, Massachusetts, Sunday, April 22nd at 3:00 PM - tickets still available.

http://caryhalllexington.com/wordpre...remes-april-22

It’s been in the papers for weeks. Would love to see that show.

Oh oh Martha got top billing

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Oh oh Martha got top billing
    Dr Reeves should always get the top billing shes the biggest name and the bigger draw. Imo.

fondly,

Roberta

Sadly this what happens when the First Lady of Motown Dr Martha Reeves isnt top of the bill.

https://concerts1.livenation.com/eve...ab=efeat5787v1

Well of course Martha and Chubby have hits in their own names. But that Westbury show looks like something worse that a disaster; too bad as it's a good show and a good price for 2 classic performers. Diana used to sell out this theater for weeks at a time.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 04-09-2018 at 03:07 PM.

Didn't Patti and Aretha sell out that venue too the last few times they appeared? They definitely still perform to sell out crowds today...

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Didn't Patti and Aretha sell out that venue too the last few times they appeared? They definitely still perform to sell out crowds today...
    Not sure / probably! It is a popular venue; it's hard to imagine this show going on with so few tickets sold.

This is brutal reality to me if it isn't selling; I'll be even less popular. But to the public, Martha lost her voice; Mary is unknown and has no recognizable hits and doesn't sing the Supremes hits like anyone remembers; and Chubby has a couple hits, one massive one, and I would have no idea if he can reproduce them reasonably at a concert.

I would like to go but it would be me and a few old farts that like a certain segment of music.

This is brutal reality to me if it isn't selling; I'll be even less popular. But to the public, Martha lost her voice; Mary is unknown and has no recognizable hits and doesn't sing the Supremes hits like anyone remembers; and Chubby has a couple hits, one massive one, and I would have no idea if he can reproduce them reasonably at a concert.

I would like to go but it would be me and a few old farts that like a certain segment of music.
    Dr Martha Reeves has NOT lost her voice imo and is the most charismattic star ever to come out of Motown Records.

Fondly,

Roberta

Had someone been smart, they would have skipped Chubby and added Brenda Holloway, and/or the Velvelettes, and/or Kat's Marvelettes, and did a tour as the "Ladies of Motown".

One thing I've noticed when it comes to Martha and Mary is that it's rather difficult to find out when and where they are performing. It's often too late, or even after the fact that I've found out they're in my area.

Martha seems to keep up a fairly updated website; you can hear crickets at Mary's.

Say all you want about Martha, least she knows how to be active...

Obviously someone is getting out the word since Mary and Martha are still touring

These tickets are very reasonably priced at a high of 99.00 down to 39.99 and most of what has sold has been at 30-50% off those prices. Martha and Mary are doing much better in Massachusetts....I don’t think of B.B. kings as being competition for Westbury, they really do draw totally different crowds geographically. But, it is what it is and if it weren’t a 12 hour drive, I’d go.

They're both worth seeing.

I saw Martha Reeves and the Vandellas 3 years ago and I was blown away by how great they were. I had seen youtube videos in which I didn't feel Martha sounded her best so I was somewhat reluctant to go. I was so glad a friend talked me into it. I jumped at the opportunity to see her this time - without question.

I haven't seen Mary in 10-15 years but I always enjoyed her the many times I saw her. A few months ago, due to other commitments, I missed seeing her Jazz show so I am happy to see her now in what I assume will be her Supremes show.

Looking forward to seeing both of these extraordinary performers.

By the way, for those of you who may not be big fans of Martha or Mary, I feel both of them have grown into excellent performers…… You may not love one or both of their voices, but, they are both great on stage… Martha has especially grown into one Hell of an entertainer! She’s funny, Aware that occasionally her voice gets out of control and watches that. I’ve never met anyone who felt that Mary doesn’t knock three or four balance out of the park at her shows… Even people that hate her. I think the more support these to get, the more likely it would be that they would be more shows and maybe they would add Brenda or others… Personally I think the addition of Brenda that would be a brilliant idea Instead of Chubby Checker for heaven sake’s!

^ No arguments here. I've seen Martha's videos and she is definitely a grade-A entertainer. That's probably why I'm a little biased towards her. I know her vocals are never gonna be what they were at her heights but the fact she is still out there performing nearly 80 and still at tip-top shape as someone her age is, it's incredible.

As for Mary, yeah, she ain't no joke when it comes to shows.

But then again, they are Motown legends, I expect them to work hard. And yeah I'd include Brenda in Chubby's place. I can't stand Chubby lmao

Guys can we please stop the Chubby bashing? Quite frankly it's clear that some of you have anti-Chubby agendas and there's no place for any of that here.

I'm not bashing him. Just think it's odd he's in a concert with two Motown legends. That's all.

I always liked Chubby Checker. He made some fun songs when I was kid. My favorite after "The Twist" was "Limbo Rock". I am amazed that he is not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Guys can we please stop the Chubby bashing? Quite frankly it's clear that some of you have anti-Chubby agendas and there's no place for any of that here.
    Chubby’s just need exercise!

I love Let’s Twist Again - I think it’s much better than The Twist

And it’s remarkable that people of the age of these 3 are still out there performing

Checker is known for a fun, high-energy show. That's why he still has name recognition 60 years after his hits. No doubt the audience is dwindling but he had hits with his own name on them that still get played [[as does Martha).

I love Let’s Twist Again - I think it’s much better than The Twist

And it’s remarkable that people of the age of these 3 are still out there performing
    Agree with both points!!

Speaking of high energy shows, I forgot to mention in my previous post that Lois and Delphine were superb in providing excitement to the show as The Vandellas when I saw them 3 years ago. I can't wait to see them again.

I saw Martha & Mary in Daytona Beach in Feb. & the show was sold out, 2500 seat Peabody Auditorium. It was not even advertised in Orlando. They were GREAT. I have seen Chubby many times over the past 20 years & he always puts on a great show with people of all ages enjoying it.Chubby should have been one of the first inductees into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. That organization has "problems".

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I saw Martha & Mary in Daytona Beach in Feb. & the show was sold out, 2500 seat Peabody Auditorium. It was not even advertised in Orlando. They were GREAT. I have seen Chubby many times over the past 20 years & he always puts on a great show with people of all ages enjoying it.Chubby should have been one of the first inductees into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. That organization has "problems".
    He sure should have been in there years ago! I cannot understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Well of course Martha and Chubby have hits in their own names. But that Westbury show looks like something worse that a disaster; too bad as it's a good show and a good price for 2 classic performers. Diana used to sell out this theater for weeks at a time.
    If they want tickets to sell, someone must assure Long Island residents that Mary will not be singing Red Hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    If they want tickets to sell, someone must assure Long Island residents that Mary will not be singing Red Hot.
    They won't know what Red Hot is so it won't do any damage.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    Well if they could put KISS and Percy Sledge in it... lol
    They always got issues though. CHIC got nominated 150 times until they settled on a Nile Rodgers induction.

They won't know what Red Hot is so it won't do any damage.
    I am a Long Island resident and they will know. New Yorkers have heard everything.

Can y'all stop?