[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Walk Away Renee

Walk Away Renee

BRILLIANT remake. Always loved this cover by the Four Tops!

Me, too, Gary. It was a classic example of Motown working their magic on somebody else's song -- making it all their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Me, too, Gary. It was a classic example of Motown working their magic on somebody else's song -- making it all their own.
    I agree, I always like Motown covers that sound like a Motown song and not just a remake without the classic sound. If I Were A Carpenter was similarly successful for me.

I love this by The Four Tops!!! As Gary says it's that Motown magic on a non Motown song, originally by The Left Banke I recall, although I have never listened to the original.

I also heard The Tops' version played in one of scenes of the recent Three Billboards film...

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I love this by The Four Tops!!! As Gary says it's that Motown magic on a non Motown song, originally by The Left Banke I recall, although I have never listened to the original.

I also heard The Tops' version played in one of scenes of the recent Three Billboards film...
    That whole Reach Out lp is the bomb. Classic, timeless Motown. I loved the covers and really thought their cover of Cherish was worthy of single release. Listen to those Funk Bros on Last Train To Clarksville. Benny explodes on that and 7-Rooms. Those were among his last sessions.

Recently heard this song on Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

Absolutely agree with BayouMotownMan, 'Cherish' is a beautiful, moving performance.

The melody of it perfectly fits the Four Tops' harmonies. Radio and theatre audiences would have responded very well to it as a single, particularly here in the UK. I may well be wrong, but don't recall the original version by The Association being a big seller here.

Both 'Walk Away Renee' and 'If I Were A Carpenter' by Four Tops were released as UK singles one month ahead of the US. I think 'Cherish' may also have been considered for a single in the UK at some point.

In those days, shows could be stopped if UK audience members moved into the aisles, or towards the stage during a live performance. During 'Walk Away Renee', I remember hearing the audiences, from their seats, humming in unison the melody of the verses while Levi sang the lyrics, just waiting for the chorus.

There would then be a tremendous surge in sound as everyone launched into the "Just walk away Renee..." chorus, each time it came round...

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    In those days, shows could be stopped if UK audience members moved into the aisles, or towards the stage during a live performance. During 'Walk Away Renee', I remember hearing the audiences, from their seats, humming in unison the melody of the verses while Levi sang the lyrics, just waiting for the chorus.

There would then be a tremendous surge in sound as everyone launched into the "Just walk away Renee..." chorus, each time it came round...
    A "Motown Goosebumps" moment, for sure!

After HDH leaves.

I think this was one of their final Motown Top 40s too.

When I was little, I thought the Four Tops' version was the original one. Silly me lol

Sadly, the video at the head of this thread is unavailable in the UK.

If it is indeed the mono version, then it is likely to feature an emphatic crash cymbal immediately before the chorus, but lack that distorted piano sound, heard on most, if not all stereo versions.

Those piano chords always draw me in, hammered out in sharp, dramatic tones.

They lend the production a real flourish of grandeur, especially during the middle break,
    with that rocking drum beat, bass and muted trumpet.

I love me some Motown, with additional symphonic touches.

Hi Roger I found a video of the stereo version... and now that you mention it I can really hear the piano playing...

Thanks Tom, that's great!

And if that 'Walk Away Renee' piano chord arrangement has you feeling you've heard it somewhere else, but just can't quite place it.......then try Diana Ross's 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough, and the verse "I know you must follow the sun"..right before Valerie Simpson really starts into hammering that keyboard..!

I'm probably the only one here who dislikes the piano on the stereo version. The mono version sounds so much better to me. It is is interesting that the alternate stereo mix on the 50th Anniversary album has the piano mixed further back and to me it's much more acceptable.

Everything recorded in those early days is better mono.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Everything recorded in those early days is better mono.
    You are so right

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Thanks Tom, that's great!

And if that 'Walk Away Renee' piano chord arrangement has you feeling you've heard it somewhere else, but just can't quite place it.......then try Diana Ross's 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough, and the verse "I know you must follow the sun"..right before Valerie Simpson really starts into hammering that keyboard..!
    Roger you've got me ultra-aware of the piano in Diana's "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" now as well!!! I can kinda hear the similarities, although I would never have spotted them had you not told me, wow

Ah but "back home" or "my love" you choose...

The 'Four Tops Reach Out' album is, for me, the ultimate Motown record of all time. I honestly think every track could have been a single release. Both Walk away Renee and If I were a carpenter are two of the only occasions that Motown covered songs and made them definitive. Though I know there will be Darin fans who will disagree.

Out of 12 tracks on the LP "Reach Out", 7 were released on singles that I can recall. That's got to be a record.

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    The 'Four Tops Reach Out' album is, for me, the ultimate Motown record of all time. I honestly think every track could have been a single release. Both Walk away Renee and If I were a carpenter are two of the only occasions that Motown covered songs and made them definitive. Though I know there will be Darin fans who will disagree.
    I love Bobby Darin, but i do think the Tops recorded the definitive version. They made it sound like a Motown original.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I'm probably the only one here who dislikes the piano on the stereo version.
    No you’re not.

Love the version on the 50th anniversary CD. They say YOU WON'T SEE ME FOLLOW YOU MY LOVE except on the final verse which is FOLLOW YOU BACK HOME. Plus I can hear the background more clearly especially Lawrence. And I love the drum mix.