[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Liz lands

Liz lands

I read as part of the accompanying notes with the latest instalment of Motown Girls, Baby I’ve Got It that liz lands recorded quite a lot of tracks for Motown; 100 or more. Given that only a few of these have turned up on the annual unreleased sets, what’s happened to these? Do these unreleased tracks still therefore come under copyright extension, if not what happens now?

Since Liz has already passed, I do understand why they are withholding so much of her work from being released now.

I remember her hit with the temps on background,what was it called?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Gordy 7030 released 03/1964
    Midnight Johnny b/w Keep Me
    Vocal accompaniment on both sides credits the Temptations.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  21.1 KB
    I wouldn't actually call either side a hit. They never played it in L.A. or San Francisco Bay Area. It was played a few times for a couple weeks by Al Benson, in Chicago [[only "Keep Me" - NOT "Midnight Johnny"). But, I don't think it charted anywhere in USA [[except, perhaps in Detroit, at the very bottom of The R&B chart). Her Divinity 45 was never released. And her only other Motown release was the single "May What He Lived For Live", after Martin Luther King's death. And that hardly sold. So, Liz hardly got any backing from the company. That was a shame, because she was a great singer. They didn't know how to market her. She should have been made into a Gospel star. Her range was TOO big to sing Pop music, with her always insisting on hitting those operatic super high notes. She should have been hired to break glass at a recycling centre!

We really struggled to find that track for Motown Girls, about the only Motown-sounding track unreleased. The remainder are all either sacred or show-tunes/standards. Many are very fine performances, but a CD wouldn't sell more than a couple of dozen!

Sorryeveryone but as amazing a singer Ms Lands undoubtebly was her diatribe againstIan Levine on Youtube is unwarranted and grossly unfair. He gave her a chanceto record again decades after everyone had forgotten her and all she could dowas insult him as “Pilsbury Doughboy” and claim he owed her “hundreds ofthousands” for her “number ones”. Such damaging fantasy and sad fake news. Ican only forgive her because she was obviously not in the best mental state. Troubleis, if you look her up you don’t get “Little Boy” you get that.

On Amazon you can download the Motown album from Martin Luther King Jr. "The Great March On Washington" which includes the Liz Lands track [[or just download the track of course).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...dm_ws_sp_ps_dp
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 04-05-2018 at 05:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    We really struggled to find that track for Motown Girls, about the only Motown-sounding track unreleased. The remainder are all either sacred or show-tunes/standards. Many are very fine performances, but a CD wouldn't sell more than a couple of dozen!
    I like Liz Lands' Motown-sounding recordings, but based on "I Wish You Love" and "In The Wee Small Hours of the Morning" I agree that a CD would not be a commercial proposition.

I guessed it wouldn’t be a commercial proposition just a shame that these tracks won’t see the light of day....