[REMOVE ADS]




Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 51 to 72 of 72
  1. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    It's really sad to read through this thread . I'd prefer to not have to respond at all , but you can't let this current tactic of shouting you down appear as the way to "win".

    All these personal insults and putdowns, and let me guess , each of you would decry "bullying", yet what do you think you are doing here?
    You'll demand "tolerance" of others toward you and your issues, but when it comes to practicing the concept yourself , you instead are quite intolerant, as anyone reading this thread can see.

    All this noise, but I haven't changed my original view . And none of you have posted anything of merit to cause me to do so.

    I still think it's absurd to flip out because someone enhances their skin tone to better represent a visual impression of Diana Ross. They are trying to accurately replicate her appearance!! She has a specific skin tone. To look most like her, they copied it . It would be far more offensive to not include her skin color.

    A costume mirroring any notorious person is simply more authentic and realistic when it includes accurate skin color . If you choose to "sort of" look like them , well OK , but - the best costume is going to be the one that best captures the persona . If that includes skin tone , that just better completes the illusion . And so what?? It's skin tone ! Everybody's got one!

    To be clear, I do not consider that type of impersonating as "blackface" , and so maybe that's where we part company.

    Are you all saying that only black people can dress up as "black" people and only white people can dress up as "white" people. If a white person dresses up as Diana Ross it has to be as a "white" Diana Ross?? Does that not read as absurd??

    Here is where I'd like to say "lighten up people" ,
    but no doubt the snowflake crowd would not see even an ounce of humor in it .
    Hi Boogie, I'm gonna come at this calmly and without overreaction and insults! Now I have no idea what this woman usually looks like or whether she intended to do as she did, but the issue here is making oneself look black — "blackface". This, rightly so in my opinion, is regarded as offensive and derogatory. It is more than just replicating a skin tone or making the costume more accurate as it carries many negative historical connotations. I know I would not be comfortable ‘visually replicating’ a black person in such a way, would you? And regarding the negative response to your post, for me it was the implication that ‘if you are offended by blackface then you are a snowflake’ that was particularly inflammatory! And, for the record, I genuinely believe that you aren't being intentionally racist or trollish, just maybe that your sensibilities are a little early-20th-century-ish.

  2. #52
    Boog's posts go back to when ministrels were considered "normal" and "entertaining" and not derogatory as they're rightfully called.

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    ^ You know the Grand Wizard ain't gonna read all of that because he think he can say these slurs without a comeback... that's why we have to push it harder at him that he can't say this mess. And I better not see the usual folks trying to back Boog either. He has no friends here.

    Also if he's replying to me, tell him he's stupid because I got his hind parts on BLOCK.
    Not the Grand Wizard!! LOL Anyway, he'll see your response in mine. I hope he does have friends here who out themselves. He's not a victim here who needs to be defended.

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hi Boogie, I'm gonna come at this calmly and without overreaction and insults! Now I have no idea what this woman usually looks like or whether she intended to do as she did, but the issue here is making oneself look black — "blackface". This, rightly so in my opinion, is regarded as offensive and derogatory. It is more than just replicating a skin tone or making the costume more accurate as it carries many negative historical connotations. I know I would not be comfortable ‘visually replicating’ a black person in such a way, would you? And regarding the negative response to your post, for me it was the implication that ‘if you are offended by blackface then you are a snowflake’ that was particularly inflammatory! And, for the record, I genuinely believe that you aren't being intentionally racist or trollish, just maybe that your sensibilities are a little early-20th-century-ish.
    "I know I would not be comfortable ‘visually replicating’ a black person in such a way, would you?" I'm betting he'd love to do it but wouldn't have the balls to do it. Well maybe he would since he'd probably be attending costume parties where the guest list were exclusively white people. His question to me regarding what white people do Black people dress up in costumes as told me that his exposure to Black people is probably exclusively Motown music. Oh and the Negro criminals he sees on television of course.

    I bet he's one of those white people who constantly asks how come he can't use the n-word like the n-words get to use it.

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Not the Grand Wizard!! LOL Anyway, he'll see your response in mine. I hope he does have friends here who out themselves. He's not a victim here who needs to be defended.
    Probably not because the ones who used to defend him when he made his Diana posts will back off like they don't know him lol

    You know the ones lol

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hi Boogie, I'm gonna come at this calmly and without overreaction and insults! Now I have no idea what this woman usually looks like or whether she intended to do as she did, but the issue here is making oneself look black — "blackface". This, rightly so in my opinion, is regarded as offensive and derogatory. It is more than just replicating a skin tone or making the costume more accurate as it carries many negative historical connotations. I know I would not be comfortable ‘visually replicating’ a black person in such a way, would you? And regarding the negative response to your post, for me it was the implication that ‘if you are offended by blackface then you are a snowflake’ that was particularly inflammatory! And, for the record, I genuinely believe that you aren't being intentionally racist or trollish, just maybe that your sensibilities are a little early-20th-century-ish.
    Hi Tom Tom ,

    Regrettably I don't have the time to give this subject the time it deserves, maybe later.
    But I do want to say I appreciate your civility.

    I 've never costumed to replicate a real person , but if I did, I'd want to go all the way - as spot on as possible , or else why do it. My Halloween costumes have always been on the scarier side..... hmm I remember being a green Frankenstein once.

    I've never had the urge to dress up like Diana Ross , white, black or otherwise.

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    "I know I would not be comfortable ‘visually replicating’ a black person in such a way, would you?" I'm betting he'd love to do it but wouldn't have the balls to do it. Well maybe he would since he'd probably be attending costume parties where the guest list were exclusively white people. His question to me regarding what white people do Black people dress up in costumes as told me that his exposure to Black people is probably exclusively Motown music. Oh and the Negro criminals he sees on television of course.

    I bet he's one of those white people who constantly asks how come he can't use the n-word like the n-words get to use it.
    What is the point of this kind of post. You aren't trying to have a dialogue. Just talking trash based on nothing. This should be unacceptable here.

  8. #58
    Lol someone can't seem to leave this thread alone. Mr. "You're a Snowflake" is still whining.

    Sad.

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Lol someone can't seem to leave this thread alone. Mr. "You're a Snowflake" is still whining.

    Sad.
    LOL!
    That's rich coming from someone who is now posting on this thread for the ninth time.

  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    What is the point of this kind of post. You aren't trying to have a dialogue. Just talking trash based on nothing. This should be unacceptable here.
    I wasn't talking to you, so you're wrong. I was corresponding with Tom, who I was having a dialogue with. And one man's trash is another man's truth. Next...

  11. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Lol someone can't seem to leave this thread alone. Mr. "You're a Snowflake" is still whining.

    Sad.
    Bruh, he still whining too. Got the nerve to say my post should be unacceptable here. But he can come in here and tell Black folks what we should and should not be offended by, name calling while he does it. I can't make this stuff up!!

  12. #62
    Thanks for the references!

    "Snowflake Was used to indicate an educated black man during the civil war; white collar blacks were pretty rare - only white people had desk jobs."


    I can see why you were upset . That's just a terrible thing to say about anybody!
    But don't worry, the current use of the term "snowflake" is not in any way referring to how well-educated someone is.

    The snowflake term refers to a type of mindset that is not racially specific . It can be found within any of them .

  13. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I wasn't talking to you, so you're wrong. I was corresponding with Tom, who I was having a dialogue with. And one man's trash is another man's truth. Next...
    Tom's post was directed specifically to me, not you. So you were butting in and in an unnecessarily very not nice way . What's up with you? You're wound way too tight.

  14. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Bruh, he still whining too. Got the nerve to say my post should be unacceptable here. But he can come in here and tell Black folks what we should and should not be offended by, name calling while he does it. I can't make this stuff up!!
    LMAO this place was always pro-black. Then his racist a$$ wanna show up and make demands. Guess his love for Motown kicked him out of the white supremacist sites. He can't say things like "I see nothing wrong with blackface" and sh*t and then complain when we call his racism out.

  15. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    LMAO this place was always pro-black. Then his racist a$$ wanna show up and make demands. Guess his love for Motown kicked him out of the white supremacist sites. He can't say things like "I see nothing wrong with blackface" and sh*t and then complain when we call his racism out.
    TEN POSTS !!!! That's a lot even for YOU!!! lol!!!

  16. #66
    [Lady Gaga eating cereal.gif]You're still here?[/Lady Gaga.gif]

    Seriously, dude, stop. You're embarrassing yourself. Stop trying to get the last point in and leave. Stop trying to defend your racism, Trump voter lol

  17. #67
    midnightman:
    [Lady Gaga eating cereal.gif]You're still here?[/Lady Gaga.gif]

    Seriously, dude, stop. You're embarrassing yourself. Stop trying to get the last point in and leave. Stop trying to defend your racism, Trump voter lol
    Seriously dude, you promised to put me on "IGNORE"

    I ain't that interesting! Honest! lol!!

  18. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Tom's post was directed specifically to me, not you. So you were butting in and in an unnecessarily very not nice way . What's up with you? You're wound way too tight.
    Not tight at all. At this point you make me laugh with your hypocrisy. In terms of your favorite word, you appear to be the biggest snowflake in the thread with every post. Are the coloreds bothering you with our banter?

  19. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    LMAO this place was always pro-black. Then his racist a$$ wanna show up and make demands. Guess his love for Motown kicked him out of the white supremacist sites. He can't say things like "I see nothing wrong with blackface" and sh*t and then complain when we call his racism out.
    Uh huh. And the depiction of slavery in Gone With the Wind was accurate, I'm sure he'd argue. And don't forget how much we love fried chicken and watermelon. I'm sure he'd lose his shit if we complained about the stereotypes. How much you wanna bet he shares memes with statistics hoping to correlate being Black with crime like his favorite president did?

  20. #70
    ^ Oh I'm sure he lists the Birth of the Nation film (not the Nate Parker film) as his favorite.

    And he possibly does (and thinks every Mexican is a violent r*pist). We're just a bunch of uptight n***ers to him...

  21. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Thanks for the references!

    "Snowflake Was used to indicate an educated black man during the civil war; white collar blacks were pretty rare - only white people had desk jobs."


    I can see why you were upset . That's just a terrible thing to say about anybody!
    But don't worry, the current use of the term "snowflake" is not in any way referring to how well-educated someone is.

    The snowflake term refers to a type of mindset that is not racially specific . It can be found within any of them .
    With all due respect, you don’t get to tell me what not to worry about, nor do you get to patronizingly “whitesplain” to me what the term is meant to signify. If you had taken the time to read ALL my links, you’d understand how that horrible epithet has morphed into what it’s become today. You owe this entire Forum nothing less than an apology. The crap stops now.

  22. #72

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.