Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
It's really sad to read through this thread . I'd prefer to not have to respond at all , but you can't let this current tactic of shouting you down appear as the way to "win".

All these personal insults and putdowns, and let me guess , each of you would decry "bullying", yet what do you think you are doing here?
You'll demand "tolerance" of others toward you and your issues, but when it comes to practicing the concept yourself , you instead are quite intolerant, as anyone reading this thread can see.

All this noise, but I haven't changed my original view . And none of you have posted anything of merit to cause me to do so.

I still think it's absurd to flip out because someone enhances their skin tone to better represent a visual impression of Diana Ross. They are trying to accurately replicate her appearance!! She has a specific skin tone. To look most like her, they copied it . It would be far more offensive to not include her skin color.

A costume mirroring any notorious person is simply more authentic and realistic when it includes accurate skin color . If you choose to "sort of" look like them , well OK , but - the best costume is going to be the one that best captures the persona . If that includes skin tone , that just better completes the illusion . And so what?? It's skin tone ! Everybody's got one!

To be clear, I do not consider that type of impersonating as "blackface" , and so maybe that's where we part company.

Are you all saying that only black people can dress up as "black" people and only white people can dress up as "white" people. If a white person dresses up as Diana Ross it has to be as a "white" Diana Ross?? Does that not read as absurd??

Here is where I'd like to say "lighten up people" ,
but no doubt the snowflake crowd would not see even an ounce of humor in it .
Hi Boogie, I'm gonna come at this calmly and without overreaction and insults! Now I have no idea what this woman usually looks like or whether she intended to do as she did, but the issue here is making oneself look black — "blackface". This, rightly so in my opinion, is regarded as offensive and derogatory. It is more than just replicating a skin tone or making the costume more accurate as it carries many negative historical connotations. I know I would not be comfortable ‘visually replicating’ a black person in such a way, would you? And regarding the negative response to your post, for me it was the implication that ‘if you are offended by blackface then you are a snowflake’ that was particularly inflammatory! And, for the record, I genuinely believe that you aren't being intentionally racist or trollish, just maybe that your sensibilities are a little early-20th-century-ish.