[REMOVE ADS]

A Great Supremes LP Cover

This could have been used for several of their different LPs [[not just HDH).

Name:  170023C3-0782-45A6-807F-2DCDD9CEC506.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  11.8 KB

I really prefer this color cover. Looks more like a live album cover.

Berry Gordy would never have approved this shot. The angle of the camera shinks Diana down and emphasizes Flo

I believe this photo came from the group's tour of Asia in the fall of 1966. The gals never looked better and - from the videos released - their sound was at its peak. This is a great shot.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Berry Gordy would never have approved this shot. The angle of the camera shinks Diana down and emphasizes Flo
    As a young fan back then, I would have had no idea who those other two women were. I swear I watched all the 1960's Diana Ross TV appearances, but I never noticed the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    As a young fan back then, I would have had no idea who those other two women were. I swear I watched all the 1960's Diana Ross TV appearances, but I never noticed the other two.
    You're in the minority on that one, I'm afraid. Each Supreme, in their day, had their equal share of fans, and I know for me, personally, I found that each [[original) Supreme had something significant to contribute to the group and their success.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Berry Gordy would never have approved this shot. The angle of the camera shrinks Diana down and emphasizes Flo
    I agree.

I always thought that the A' Go-Go color graphics change from green to blue was because the green put the focus on Flo. Not only was she in the center pic but the graphics seemed coordinated to her outfit. Changing the graphics to blue changed the focus, to some degree. I always though Diana was wearing a blah outfit for the A'Go-Go cover. Both her and Mary needed something more colorful. Flo stole the show!

It seemed to me that on rare occasions one other Supreme would be spotlighted eg Mary up front on tv performance of The Happening, the staging of which appeared odd.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    It seemed to me that on rare occasions one other Supreme would be spotlighted eg Mary up front on tv performance of The Happening, the staging of which appeared odd.
    I love that Sullivan performance. I always felt it was creative to have Mary up front. However, a few weeks after that performance I read that there were tensions within the group during rehearsals. So I have since wondered if maybe Mary's placement was to take the focus off Flo in case she didn't have the choreography down pat stemming from issues during rehearsal. However, Flo seemed to do well in the Millie, Rose and Mame Medley, so maybe The Happening segment was just creative staging for the group. It worked, it was great!

Mary was prominent on the WDOLG cover. The HDH cover is a bit ambiguous in the focus. I think it depends on how you look at that picture as to who you focus on. Of course, the UK release of that album has a different photo with Flo prominent. [[I wonder if BG had much say on covers for international releases.) On the Talk of the Town cover poor Cindy is missing half her body!

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    I love that Sullivan performance. I always felt it was creative to have Mary up front. However, a few weeks after that performance I read that there were tensions within the group during rehearsals. So I have since wondered if maybe Mary's placement was to take the focus off Flo in case she didn't have the choreography down pat stemming from issues during rehearsal. However, Flo seemed to do well in the Millie, Rose and Mame Medley, so maybe The Happening segment was just creative staging for the group. It worked, it was great!
    I remember reading that as well, also that the performance was nearly cancelled altogether due to the tensions. I don't know if choreography would have anything to with it, I'm sure The Happening was in the show for a good month by this point.

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    You're in the minority on that one, I'm afraid. Each Supreme, in their day, had their equal share of fans, and I know for me, personally, I found that each [[original) Supreme had something significant to contribute to the group and their success.
    Ant being the voice of reason. THANK YOU! Enough of this "who's better". Diana, Mary & Florence. The Supremes I prefer, thank you very much lol

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I remember reading that as well, also that the performance was nearly cancelled altogether due to the tensions. I don't know if choreography would have anything to with it, I'm sure The Happening was in the show for a good month by this point.
    correct - the girls did The Happening at the Hollywood Bowl show so the overall choreography was in place. For television though, they would have been working on camera angles and staging. early in the clip, you can actually see one of the cameras in the lower left corner. it's visible when they're doing the full group, frontal shot. then that center camera zooms in slightly to get that other camera out of the way

I've not heard anything substantiated that they were at risk of cancelling this engagement. Other than if Flo did NOT agree to come back on the road post-Hollywood Bowl they probably would have had to cancel. or perhaps Motown would have tried to sub a different group appearance. Maybe the Temps or something. But I've not heard about problems between the girls during rehearsals nearly causing them to be axed from the show. I find that hard to believe. Gordy would NEVER have let that happen. ever if he can to knock some sense into the girls to get them to shape up

What appearance was it where Diana stepped on Flos earring and Flo went ballistic?

It was t appearance i believe where. They performed. My favorite things and a 6 song hit mrdley for t 1december 6 1966 which was taped several weeks earlier . flo thought it was deliberate.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    correct - the girls did The Happening at the Hollywood Bowl show so the overall choreography was in place. For television though, they would have been working on camera angles and staging. early in the clip, you can actually see one of the cameras in the lower left corner. it's visible when they're doing the full group, frontal shot. then that center camera zooms in slightly to get that other camera out of the way

I've not heard anything substantiated that they were at risk of cancelling this engagement. Other than if Flo did NOT agree to come back on the road post-Hollywood Bowl they probably would have had to cancel. or perhaps Motown would have tried to sub a different group appearance. Maybe the Temps or something. But I've not heard about problems between the girls during rehearsals nearly causing them to be axed from the show. I find that hard to believe. Gordy would NEVER have let that happen. ever if he can to knock some sense into the girls to get them to shape up
    That Ed Sullivan Show appearance was taped in Montreal, QC. They were in town for Expo'67 [[The World's Fair).

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    It was t appearance i believe where. They performed. My favorite things and a 6 song hit mrdley for t 1december 6 1966 which was taped several weeks earlier . flo thought it was deliberate.
    That's right Fran. That's when Flo jumped on Diane and beat her up. It took a group of people to pull her off of "Miss Ross". LOL!!!

ite a shame it was reduced to this. But i guess flo had enough of t grandstanding by the lead singer.

So where exactly does this pic come from? Was it a cover for a European release?

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    ite a shame it was reduced to this. But i guess flo had enough of t grandstanding by the lead singer.
    She really gave Flo no choice. It had to be done!

Didn’t Flo have to save Mary once when Diana jumped Mary in Dressing room?

No! LOL!!!! If I told why Mary put that part in her book about Diane jumping up and pulling her hair, etc it would cause World War III here. LOL!

What appearance was it where Diana stepped on Flos earring and Flo went ballistic?

President Theodore Roosevelt's inaugural ball in 1901.

Stirring up the pot again.

sometimes t pot has to be stirred up no pun intended

Roberta is absolutely correct. No more pot stirring needed. It’s been a Telemundo telenovela around here lately.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    No! LOL!!!! If I told why Mary put that part in her book about Diane jumping up and pulling her hair, etc it would cause World War III here. LOL!
    Don't do it Marv!

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    don't do it marv!
    i can't!!!!!!!!!