[REMOVE ADS]

Unsung shirley caesar

Though she's far from unsung, it's an interesting episode

I don't know. I always get an evil vibe from her. It's not like when I watched the Clark Sisters' one [[that's another act I don't think I can call "unsung" either since they're considered vocal/gospel pioneers). That one seem like they were really the good natured women they portrayed. Shirley Caesar? Nah I'm skipping this one lol

I remember she got pissed about the YOU NAME IT meme. She should've been proud it inspired that meme. Gave her more attention than she ever got since the years of the Caravans!

I watched this episode a couple of days ago. As with most of the UNSUNGs, I thought it was well done. I didn't really find out much that I didn't already know, since I had read Shirley's book as well as seen many interviews. But I always like seeing vintage clips and there were some nice ones here.

I saw Shirley last fall and enjoyed her very much. The only disappointment for me was that she didn't sing NO CHARGE. Nor has she performed it any other time I've seen her in concert. I was rather surprised because aside from HOLD MY MULE, I would think that it is the record that she is most known for, something highlighted by this UNSUNG episode.

Small quibble: UNSUNG is rather consistent in misidentifying people in photos. I noted a big one in this episode: when Shirley speaks about receiving a solo offer from HOB and taking to Albertina Walker about it, they twice showed a picture of Shirley with Inez Andrews. One mistake in an otherwise well-done episode but UNSUNG does do this often.
    Last edited by reese; 03-28-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Wasn’t there some anti gay issue involving Shirley not too long ago, if I’m not mistaken?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Wasn’t there some anti gay issue involving Shirley not too long ago, if I’m not mistaken?
    Yep. She jumped the shark and defended Kim Burrell. I've washed my hands of both of them.

She's not unsung

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Yep. She jumped the shark and defended Kim Burrell. I've washed my hands of both of them.
    Yeah, they're non-existent to me now.