[REMOVE ADS]

Just stick to the format,arrrrrrrrrggggg!!

I have a radio station that supposed to play oldies at a certain time,and they do for about an hour[four hour show]and then it happens,rap-go-go and no oldies,are they nuts or just stupid?

My local jazz station switched to an oldies station about seven or eight years ago. And not even a good oldies station, one of those that plays '50s pop music. I only listen to sports radio and CDs these days.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I have a radio station that supposed to play oldies at a certain time,and they do for about an hour[four hour show]and then it happens,rap-go-go and no oldies,are they nuts or just stupid?
    Nether. Hip-hop/rap music is now 38 years old. It's officially an oldies format. And, here's the catch: Radio doesn't consider anyone over 60 years of age. They don't target that demographic because the advertisers don't market to them. They can't sell to them, they say.

I was in high school when "Rapper's Delight" was released during the tail end of the disco era, so i'm kinda still in that market.

If you guys want to hear a good oldies station, check out CKWW out of Windsor, Ontario. It is somewhat of throw back to the legendary CKLW:

http://www.iheartradio.ca/am-580

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Nether. Hip-hop/rap music is now 38 years old. It's officially an oldies format. And, here's the catch: Radio doesn't consider anyone over 60 years of age. They don't target that demographic because the advertisers don't market to them. They can't sell to them, they say.

I was in high school when "Rapper's Delight" was released during the tail end of the disco era, so i'm kinda still in that market.
    I remember my buddy Mac losing his mind over "Rapper's Delight". I literally thought that something was wrong with him. It took me at least another four or five years to start admitting that I liked some hip hop. I was more into hip hop culture than rap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I remember my buddy Mac losing his mind over "Rapper's Delight". I literally thought that something was wrong with him. It took me at least another four or five years to start admitting that I liked some hip hop. I was more into hip hop culture than rap.
    In my high school, it was the most popular thing around for a while. Guys were trying to rap the entire 14+ minutes without a mistake.

I liked rap right away once I heard it. I immediately went out and bought Kurtis Blow 12" singles. Millie Jackson even did a rap satire on her album "I Had To Say It". It was that popular. And, we all know about Blondie's "Rapture". Oh, forgot about "Christmas Rapping" by Kurtis Blow".

A lot of people still don't realize how big a thing rap was in the early 80s before Run D-M-C came along.

"Christmas Rapping" and "Christmas In Hollis" are probably my favorite two classic era rap songs. I like hearing them year round. I remember buying Run DMC's "It's Like That" because it charted high in Billboard's soul charts. It wasn't even playing on the radio when I played it. I remember wondering where the music was. The production was sparse but the composition was remarkable. The only regrets from buying the LP were the fact that "Hard Times" was too reminiscent of "It's Like That" and "Rock Box" gave me a headache when I listened to it through headphones. But it was a great album.

I didn't like 90% of what was on the Sugar Hill label. I was a much bigger fan of Tommy Boy than Sugar Hill. The first Sugar Hill song that I really liked was Grandmaster Flash's "The Message". My cousin Tony introduced me to Public Enemy and Boogie Down Productions but it took five years before PE became my favorite rap group and KRS-One became one of my favorite artists.

Like Marv said, it's been around long enough that the early stuff is now oldies fare. I'd gladly listen to a radio station that played rap from 1979 through 1995.

..."Rock Box" gave me a headache when I listened to it through headphones.
    Rock Box was my introduction to Run D-M-C. Since I was a rock fan, I was very receptive to the metal sound. The only thing harder than that was the Beastie Boys first EP on Def Jam Records.

Like Marv said, it's been around long enough that the early stuff is now oldies fare.
    I also said that. But, asv far as the traditional oldies arr & bee was talking about, my music collection takes care of that. To me, though, it's a shame that a lot of the 60s soul music is being lost. It's going away like jazz music is. The younger generations just don't seem to care. Oh well, time marches on and we're gettin' old!

Rock Box was my introduction to Run D-M-C. Since I was a rock fan, I was very receptive to the metal sound. The only thing harder than that was the Beastie Boys first EP on Def Jam Records.

I also said that. But, asv far as the traditional oldies arr & bee was talking about, my music collection takes care of that. To me, though, it's a shame that a lot of the 60s soul music is being lost. It's going away like jazz music is. The younger generations just don't seem to care. Oh well, time marches on and we're gettin' old!
    I'm trying real hard to be diplomatic and say you're mistaken right now when what I really want to say is..frigging ridiculous!....Jazz ain't going away anytime soon and there
    are too many young singers and musicians active in the business for people to keep
    reciting that lie like it was sage poetry. Just because you can't hear them doesn't mean
    they aren't there. Just because you don't know who Jazzmeia Horn, Corey Henry, Kandice
    Springs, Miles Mosely, Mimi Jones, Lakecia Benjamin, Brandee Younger, Derek Hodge
    or Kamasi Washington are doesn't mean they aren't stirring up the scene today and keeping the music alive...

Marv, i too have [90%]of what's played when they do play classic oldies...but i ain't home all the time and these clowns shouldn't say oldies if they mean different types of music,hell i also have rap and go-go in the collection[my wife bought it to annoy me-hehe]and some of it is cool of course,but when i wanna hear those good old songs i ain't settlin for less.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I'm trying real hard to be diplomatic and say you're mistaken right now when what I really want to say is..frigging ridiculous!....Jazz ain't going away anytime soon and there
    are too many young singers and musicians active in the business for people to keep
    reciting that lie like it was sage poetry. Just because you can't hear them doesn't mean
    they aren't there. Just because you don't know who Jazzmeia Horn, Corey Henry, Kandice
    Springs, Miles Mosely, Mimi Jones, Lakecia Benjamin, Brandee Younger, Derek Hodge
    or Kamasi Washington are doesn't mean they aren't stirring up the scene today and keeping the music alive...
    I was called out for making a similar statement a few years ago, splanky. What I meant [[and perhaps, what soulster is saying) is that jazz was once a much more prominent musical format. Every city had a jazz station and you had artists like Grover Washington, Jr., Chick Corea, Weather Report, and George Benson who could sell out arenas if not stadiums in some towns.

Jazz is alive and well for those who want to hear it. Every year in my city, a three-day jazz and rib festival brings over 100,000 people downtown to enjoy it. But other than that, while fans have a dozen or so smaller clubs with live music, we are lucky to get one or two concerts per year [[in a metro that has 1.4 million people).

Of course, jazz is still strong. But it's popularity is not nearly what it was when I fell in love with it.

Exactly jerry,only but one station in all of d.c.that plays jazz,sad.

Exactly jerry,only but one station in all of d.c.that plays jazz,sad.
    NYC lost it's Jazz station several years ago. Now you have to depend on College radio stations to hear Jazz on the radio. Schools like Hofsta.

You can be diplomatic without pulling an attitude, Splanky! I gotta say, though, if the mainstream isn't hearing them, and the music isn't making inroads there, it's dying.

People like their little corners of the world, but if it isn't getting out here, it's dying. Look, maybe it will be resurrected someday, but, for now, I don't see the younger generations hopping on the jazz [[or 60s soul) any time soon. So, what I posted stands.
    Last edited by soulster; 03-29-2018 at 05:54 PM.

Marv, i too have [90%]of what's played when they do play classic oldies...but i ain't home all the time and these clowns shouldn't say oldies if they mean different types of music,hell i also have rap and go-go in the collection[my wife bought it to annoy me-hehe]and some of it is cool of course,but when i wanna hear those good old songs i ain't settlin for less.
    Bee, that's why you dig out the mp3 player, iPod, car stereo, smartphone, whatever you have on the go, and play your own stuff. That's what I do. I don't even mess around with rado.

I was called out for making a similar statement a few years ago, splanky. What I meant [[and perhaps, what soulster is saying) is that jazz was once a much more prominent musical format. Every city had a jazz station and you had artists like Grover Washington, Jr., Chick Corea, Weather Report, and George Benson who could sell out arenas if not stadiums in some towns.

Jazz is alive and well for those who want to hear it. Every year in my city, a three-day jazz and rib festival brings over 100,000 people downtown to enjoy it. But other than that, while fans have a dozen or so smaller clubs with live music, we are lucky to get one or two concerts per year [[in a metro that has 1.4 million people).

Of course, jazz is still strong. But it's popularity is not nearly what it was when I fell in love with it.
    Thank you! That's exactly what I meant. And, I was specifically referring to the millennials, a group of people I don't think a lot of the old fogeys without school age children on this forum have any connection with.

I feel like as a young person I could make a relevant and useful comment here...

I would say that there is still good music out there as splanky says, you just have to find it. I mean, there are mainstream artists that have definite R&B/Soul influences... Paloma Faith, John Newman, Jess Glynne, Bruno Mars, Fleur East... I love most of this music as I do classic soul.

So soulster, although I am a young person that has hopped onto 60s soul music, I can't see all my generation hopping into it. There is still good soul music being made and enjoyed but not by the mainstream.

So I guess I'm just an exception. Although hopefully not. That sounds lonely.

I'm starting to feel really old. I've listened to the oldies station out of Detroit [[104.3 WOMC) for as long as I can remember [[since at least the mid 1980s if I can remember), and now it's playing music bordering on the late 1980s. It's not right at all!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I feel like as a young person I could make a relevant and useful comment here...

I would say that there is still good music out there as splanky says, you just have to find it. I mean, there are mainstream artists that have definite R&B/Soul influences... Paloma Faith, John Newman, Jess Glynne, Bruno Mars, Fleur East... I love most of this music as I do classic soul.

So soulster, although I am a young person that has hopped onto 60s soul music, I can't see all my generation hopping into it. There is still good soul music being made and enjoyed but not by the mainstream.

So I guess I'm just an exception. Although hopefully not. That sounds lonely.
    Well, the issue was about jazz. The way I see it, if a good portion of the masses aren't listening to it, it's not really popular. BTW, I am allowed to have an opinion here even if it doesn't adhere to the party line.

Well, the issue was about jazz. The way I see it, if a good portion of the masses aren't listening to it, it's not really popular. BTW, I am allowed to have an opinion here even if it doesn't adhere to the party line.
    Jazz hasn't been the "mainstream"'s popular music since the 30's. Jazz is neither
    dead nor monolithic. It's a living art form always evolving with more depth and
    variety than any other music performed today globally. We don't care if it doesn't
    appeal to everyone. We don't care if we don't sell out stadiums. I can think of a number of other genres of music that won't either but that doesn't invalidate them or predict
    their demise....I don't care if the crowds that flock to Li Wayne concerts won't see
    Gregory Porter at New York's Jazz Standard. In fact I'm glad they won't...

I forgot how touchy jazz fans can be.

Later you guys!

Jazz hasn't been the "mainstream"'s popular music since the 30's. Jazz is neither
    dead nor monolithic. It's a living art form always evolving with more depth and
    variety than any other music performed today globally. We don't care if it doesn't
    appeal to everyone. We don't care if we don't sell out stadiums. I can think of a number of other genres of music that won't either but that doesn't invalidate them or predict
    their demise....I don't care if the crowds that flock to Li Wayne concerts won't see
    Gregory Porter at New York's Jazz Standard. In fact I'm glad they won't...
    The issue is that arr&bee is lamenting the shifting format of one his favorite radio stations. Jazz became part of the discussion because it is under-represented on air compared to the past, just like '50s and '60s songs, which are being replaced as "oldies" by songs from the '70s and '80s. It's not that jazz "died"; clearly, it has not. But it is increasingly a genre that has to be sought. And with that being the case, young people have much less exposure to it than they did in the past. With that being said, its popularity has waned and there is serious reason to believe that it will continue to do so. There are fewer influences than in the past and consequently, fewer young people are being turned on by it.

Suggesting that jazz has died is a hyperbolic statement. But like blues music, it is trending toward being a niche genre, which is a shame. It's nothing to take offense to.

Hey soulster,get back here you know us better than that,this ain't the[motown]section,we can discuss music and everything is cool.

I forgot how touchy jazz fans can be.

Later you guys!
    Looooool

Btw, I wasn't disagreeing with you, and I was talking about 60s soul music because you mentioned it previously in your post

I mean, who cares if jazz is dying? It’s hella boring heeeheee

Very funny tomato tom,very funny!!

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoch View Post
    I'm starting to feel really old. I've listened to the oldies station out of Detroit [[104.3 WOMC) for as long as I can remember [[since at least the mid 1980s if I can remember), and now it's playing music bordering on the late 1980s. It's not right at all!
    WOMC has been moving up the timeline for oldies for years. They stopped playing 60s music for the most part back in the mid to late 90s.

The issue is that arr&bee is lamenting the shifting format of one his favorite radio stations. Jazz became part of the discussion because it is under-represented on air compared to the past, just like '50s and '60s songs, which are being replaced as "oldies" by songs from the '70s and '80s. It's not that jazz "died"; clearly, it has not. But it is increasingly a genre that has to be sought. And with that being the case, young people have much less exposure to it than they did in the past. With that being said, its popularity has waned and there is serious reason to believe that it will continue to do so. There are fewer influences than in the past and consequently, fewer young people are being turned on by it.

Suggesting that jazz has died is a hyperbolic statement. But like blues music, it is trending toward being a niche genre, which is a shame. It's nothing to take offense to.
    Thank you, Jerry! I do believe the hostility shown to me has more to do with the fact that I do not live in a certain type of community.