[REMOVE ADS]

Al Green - 10 Years Since 'Lay It Down'

A top-10 Billboard LP for Al - and nothing since? Do we know why?

Recently read the new bio "Soul Survivor" published last summer, and by the end the author is questioning Al's sanity. It's definitely a "warts & all" biography.

Now I need to get this book to read about Al's sanity.

This was great album. This was my favorite song from it "Just For Me":

Quote Originally Posted by Eye Gee View Post
    Recently read the new bio "Soul Survivor" published last summer, and by the end the author is questioning Al's sanity. It's definitely a "warts & all" biography.
    Mama mia!! Will have to give it a look. Did it seem like an honestly written bio or an ax-grinder?

I will have to investigate into this album. I do like a bit of Al Green and I am interested to hear what it's like with it being from 2008!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I will have to investigate into this album. I do like a bit of Al Green and I am interested to hear what it's like with it being from 2008!!!
    Al's 'Just Can't Stop' was also an excellent return to form -

You know it is a bit amazing to me that we, myself included, expect these artists to just go on and on and on sometimes. My parents were going to see Al Green at nightclubs over 50 years ago....wow! It is natural for him and others to be winding down now.

Al's in his early 70s now. Doesn't he own the masters of his famed material? Maybe he doesn't feel the need to perform and record as much as he used to. Also Willie is dead so I don't think Al is too crazy about making music these days.

That album was boss! And he also did collabs with Latifah [["Simply Beautiful") and Anthony Hamilton. From what I remember he used the same studio and analog tracks, instruments from back inaday! Ala Raphael Sadiq.

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    That album was boss! And he also did collabs with Latifah [["Simply Beautiful") and Anthony Hamilton. From what I remember he used the same studio and analog tracks, instruments from back inaday! Ala Raphael Sadiq.
    Indeed, all around! A great LP. Wish we had another.