[REMOVE ADS]

Duo Diana - two album reviews on Diana Ross Project

Two of her best albums by far. My fav is The Boss. A perfect lp from start to finish and each track is engaging and dynamic. I didn’t realize they did I’m Every Woman for Chaka khan. Sound tailored made for Diana and would have been amazing on this lp

Why do you think It’s My House didn’t chart better? George Soloman? Any info? 😉

And while I love It’s My Turn unfortunately it seems to have cut the run of singles from diana 1980. Which is too bad. I think they could have gotten more from that lp too. And it’s a crime these didn’t garner any Grammies!!

https://dianarossproject.wordpress.c...the-boss-1979/

The Boss was a fantastic album. Probably in my top 5 Diana albums. I never cared for the 1980 album. I'm definitely a bigger fan of "It's My Turn" than any of the cuts on the 1980 album, aside from "Upside Down" and "My Old Piano".

And as much as I love Diana, I can't hear anybody but Chaka doing "I'm Every Woman".

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Two of her best albums by far. My fav is The Boss. A perfect lp from start to finish and each track is engaging and dynamic. I didn’t realize they did I’m Every Woman for Chaka khan. Sound tailored made for Diana and would have been amazing on this lp

Why do you think It’s My House didn’t chart better? George Soloman? Any info? 

And while I love It’s My Turn unfortunately it seems to have cut the run of singles from diana 1980. Which is too bad. I think they could have gotten more from that lp too. And it’s a crime these didn’t garner any Grammies!!

https://dianarossproject.wordpress.c...the-boss-1979/
    At the time of 'The Boss' it seems like Gordy had totally lost his way regarding selection of releases, promotion, etc. The entire TB project was/is a masterpiece and it's relative low[[ish) success in relation to the excitement surrounding the project was [[we hear) a major decision factor for Diana to leave the label. As always, though, I don't believe it's ever possible to know why one record charts higher than another ...

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    At the time of 'The Boss' it seems like Gordy had totally lost his way regarding selection of releases, promotion, etc. The entire TB project was/is a masterpiece and it's relative low[[ish) success in relation to the excitement surrounding the project was [[we hear) a major decision factor for Diana to leave the label. As always, though, I don't believe it's ever possible to know why one record charts higher than another ...
    I agree. IMO, THE BOSS beats DIANA hands down in every thing from vocal performance to the songs themselves. Yet, DIANA was a platinum success. I certainly am glad that it was so successful, but THE BOSS gets much more play in my house.

It's a mystery to me why "It's My House" didn't chart at all on the pop charts since it was getting airplay on some major pop stations. There are some alternate edits and mixes of the single still in the vaults. There are also single mixes and edits of "No One Gets The Prize," and "I Ain't Been Licked." "Prize" was definitely in line to follow "The Boss." I heard A&R people talking to programmers about this. Some might remember that "No One Gets The Prize" was receiving a lot of airplay at the same time as "The Boss." This might be a reason "The Boss" single didn't chart higher on the pop charts. By the time it was falling off the charts in the U.S. they pulled a switch and went with "It's My House" as they felt "Prize's" time had passed. If "House" had done better, It's a good bet that "I Ain't Been Licked" would have been next. I think there's even a single edit of "All For One." It's just a great album.

It’s just fascinating how disorganized some of these promotional efforts were. Being a marketer myself I can’t believe they didn’t have things more organized. Love hearing about all of the history w these projects

It was those god da*n finger snaps that destroyed Its My Pad.

it's my house and I live here

really, and here I was thinking you likely lived next door!

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    It's a mystery to me why "It's My House" didn't chart at all on the pop charts since it was getting airplay on some major pop stations. There are some alternate edits and mixes of the single still in the vaults. There are also single mixes and edits of "No One Gets The Prize," and "I Ain't Been Licked." "Prize" was definitely in line to follow "The Boss." I heard A&R people talking to programmers about this. Some might remember that "No One Gets The Prize" was receiving a lot of airplay at the same time as "The Boss." This might be a reason "The Boss" single didn't chart higher on the pop charts. By the time it was falling off the charts in the U.S. they pulled a switch and went with "It's My House" as they felt "Prize's" time had passed. If "House" had done better, It's a good bet that "I Ain't Been Licked" would have been next. I think there's even a single edit of "All For One." It's just a great album.
    I am also really surprised "It's my House" wasn't a big hit. I was in high school at the time and a lot of the kids had bought the album and it seemed that "It's my house" was everyone favorite. I also remember it being played on the radio and thought it was going to be her next big hit.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I am also really surprised "It's my House" wasn't a big hit. I was in high school at the time and a lot of the kids had bought the album and it seemed that "It's my house" was everyone favorite. I also remember it being played on the radio and thought it was going to be her next big hit.
    I remember being surprised when I found out the song wasn't a monster hit. I grew up in Chicagoland and "It's My House" was played a lot when I was growing up. Everybody knew the song.