[REMOVE ADS]

Anita Bakers Back Farewell Tour

Your one stop AB shop is back..She has done 2 shows so far..She's in Miami tonight w Chaka and Smokey

https://youtu.be/N50t1QfV6Ig

https://twitter.com/music_is4ever_/s...551175682?s=09

Angry

• Sounds really. really good to me.

Sadly, concert experiences are ruined for me by the inability to see the performance due to accursed mobile phones being stuck in the air and shutting down the line of sight.... [[the irony here being it is actually mobile footage posted to Youtube)
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 03-18-2018 at 06:17 PM.

She is sounding very good. I think she should reconsider retirement. Thank you MikeW-UK.

She turned 60 on January 25. Still sounding like she did when she recorded those hit songs all those years ago.

I also see that on Been So Long, she's trying to stay with how she recorded it because I remembered when she sang it a few years ago and she was trying to go too high haha

Many singers are now saying they are retiring from touring and then they do a bunch of dates but don’t call it a tour!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Many singers are now saying they are retiring from touring and then they do a bunch of dates but don’t call it a tour!
    It's ironic to me considering the fact that live performances are just about the only way artists can make any real money now.

Yep. I think by announcing their retirement they make the tour more successful and then they often return anyway...e.g Cher

She does not need to be retiring. She can still sing and sing well. Some others should have long retired.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Aretha's been on her retirement tour for like a year and a half. But I guess you can use sickness as an excuse why she's still touring for now. Anita had stopped performing for a good four or so years before this year. 2013 was supposed to be her comeback year since she successfully covered Tyrese's Lately and an album was supposed to go with it but it was canceled and she just decided not to record or perform again. So her decision might be industry related.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Aretha's been on her retirement tour for like a year and a half. But I guess you can use sickness as an excuse why she's still touring for now. Anita had stopped performing for a good four or so years before this year. 2013 was supposed to be her comeback year since she successfully covered Tyrese's Lately and an album was supposed to go with it but it was canceled and she just decided not to record or perform again. So her decision might be industry related.
    I bet it is totally industry related.

How do I post pictures and videos. I have great pictures of her and Tom Joyner.Rickey Smiley dancing on stage
    Tom Joyner is the reason she came out of retirement in the first place. to do his Cruise. I think issues with the industry people made her leave ..Anita is always great. Live .she needs to change the set list a little bit.. but the crowd didn't seem to mind they was happy to see her.. by the way Chaka Khan got booed at that same show they said she was high with drunk

Chaka basically performed with Anita at another Jazz in the Gardens show. I wonder how she did. She must be stoned on pills again. :/

I saw a clip from the first show on Anita's farewell tour and she was doing this singing dialogue for at least 10 mins, doing her sound check. I've heard shes done this before, as she typically won't show up to do her sound checks before the show. Kinda ridiculous if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I saw a clip from the first show on Anita's farewell tour and she was doing this singing dialogue for at least 10 mins, doing her sound check. I've heard shes done this before, as she typically won't show up to do her sound checks before the show. Kinda ridiculous if you ask me.
    In that video of her doing Sweet Love, it took her seven minutes to get to the actual song!

Well did you watch the rest..That's her pet peeve abt the sound..Im use to all that..Sadly she's one of our last connections to the 80s..I'll enjoy what little she does

Quote Originally Posted by abfan View Post
    Well did you watch the rest..That's her pet peeve abt the sound..Im use to all that..Sadly she's one of our last connections to the 80s..I'll enjoy what little she does
    No she isn't. She isn't one of our last connections to the 80s. Wow LOL!!!! Hello Sade and many others........

I said one...Sade comes out whaymt once every blue moon..
    Michael. Prince. Whitney. Luther???
    https://youtu.be/N50t1QfV6Ig

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    That is Anita all over for you. An absolute nightmare of a person, but when she actually opens her mouth to sing rather than curse and swear you can almost forgive her appalling behaviour. I am pretty sure her decision to take to the stage is purely money related. She will not be receiving much in the way of royalties, and she does like the finer things in life so touring is the only real way to sustain that standard of living. She remains in fine voice and still has much to contribute. i wish her well [[i think!)

Anita does recieve royalties..Remember they play Anita still on radio...Anitas cheap..She's been off stage for 7 yrs..and 8 before that..She's not broke..While I'm her number 1 fan..I do understand and know her reputation..trust me I know

Does she own her music, abfan?

I know you can't get her music on Spotify... most of it anyway. Think you only can get Angel out of that. If that.

I know she gets songwriting royalties though because she wrote a good chunk of her hits [[except Angel and I Just Want to Be Your Girl).

I know she has some rights to Songstress..She basically wrote most of Compositions and My everything..Also she had her music taken off certain sites..like Spotify for payment..contract issues..She states that herself on twitter

I know she has some rights to Songstress..She basically wrote most of Compositions and My everything..Also she had her music taken off certain sites..like Spotify for payment..contract issues..She states that herself on twitter
    Oh OK because I know if artists had that control, they own that work. She had to for Spotify to take them off their site... other artists don't have that much control. I was gonna find some Anita songs on Spotify and post it on my music blog and was stunned to see she didn't have much on it. Lets me believe she took them off because she owns rights to it. Aretha's later Atlantic recordings are STILL not on Spotify and she owns those albums [[With Everything I Feel in Me, You, Sweet Passion, Almighty Fire and La Diva).

It is almost impossible to believe that it's been over 20 years already since I bought this, my last Anita Baker album and what an album!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It is almost impossible to believe that it's been over 20 years already since I bought this, my last Anita Baker album and what an album!!!

She was remarkably consistent up to this point. Her first 5 albums remain classics, but the "my everything" album took a sharp dip in quality, and don't even get me started on that holiday album...............

That Rhythm of love cd..Boy oh Boy..You belong to me..Beautiful

I think My everything had a few hits..In my Heart and Close your eyes.Serious..The Christmas cd was decent..Christmas time is here.Favorite things...

I feel the Rhythm of Love album was her last masterpiece... just a BRILLIANT album from top to finish! Don't get me started on Body and Soul either... MAN! If Elektra had focused harder, that album would've sold as much as Rapture!!!

It's rare when an artist creates straight up masterpieces for most of their career [[Marvin, Luther, Stevie are the others) but with Anita, she had five:

The Songstress
    Rapture [[which was the adult contemporary "Thriller" of its time)
    Giving You the Best That I Got
    Compositions [[this one is probably my personal favorite Anita album; you can tell she really put her all into this one)
    Rhythm of Love

Legendary... *whew*

https://youtu.be/tBcro1Thrsg

I think Anita is partially responsible for her underrated status.No book. dvd.Interviews. live cd..duets..Hell we are promoting this farewell tour

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post

I remember there was a bit of wait between this album and her last one. I remember towards the end of the summer of 1980, I went to see Chapter 8 and local Toledo band, Colorscope perform at a club called Nirvana on Monroe Street in Toledo. The cover charge? $ 5.00! I knew some of the members in Colorscope one of their female singers is my Mom's best friend, the other was a former cheerleader from my his school and the leader's mother was one of my teachers in H.S. We knew of Chapter 8 because they were out of Detroit and just had a hit with "I Just Want To Be Yours". The lead singers was another young lady from Toledo named Anita Baker. Fast forward 3 years later in 1983. I am in Denver and a friend of mine who had recently moved there from Toledo came running up to us at a picnic raving about this "new girl singer" from Toledo called Anita Baker [[he didn't know she had been with Chapter 8) and her new song "Angel". I listened to it and did not think much of it. Even I had forgot she was the lead singer for Chapter 8. Later on as her solo career took off it seemed like everyone in the City of Toledo knew and remembered her. I do know she went to the same high school as I and my brother.

https://youtu.be/tBcro1Thrsg

I think Anita is partially responsible for her underrated status.No book. dvd.Interviews. live cd..duets..Hell we are promoting this farewell tour
    At the time of the release of the single "Body and Soul" she was at the height of her powers and could have done anything she wanted to do including films. I am not going to speculate too much about what happened. I do know that she had created a fairly well known bad reputation for herself regarding her personality.

I would just die to hear her 1990 Compositions tour live..She never performs that cd on tour..just fairytales..She needs to take a Q from Patti Labelle..open other doors...She's supposed to be writing a book...

Im watching an old episode of 227 ..Luther is a guest....Anita just didnt do these types of things

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I feel the Rhythm of Love album was her last masterpiece... just a BRILLIANT album from top to finish! Don't get me started on Body and Soul either... MAN! If Elektra had focused harder, that album would've sold as much as Rapture!!!

It's rare when an artist creates straight up masterpieces for most of their career [[Marvin, Luther, Stevie are the others) but with Anita, she had five:

The Songstress
    Rapture [[which was the adult contemporary "Thriller" of its time)
    Giving You the Best That I Got
    Compositions [[this one is probably my personal favorite Anita album; you can tell she really put her all into this one)
    Rhythm of Love

Legendary... *whew*
    I totally agree. Those 5 albums are all absolute classics. Compositions is her own personal favorite album, but she did not like the released mix of Giving you the best that i got, but she was overruled by the record company. Having not heard the mix of the album she refers to i cannot comment on whether she was right or not.

Im watching an old episode of 227 ..Luther is a guest....Anita just didnt do these types of things
    She probably should have.......