[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Martha Reeves "Rainbow"

Gang, I recently purchased a CD of Martha Reeves' "Rainbow" album, and I have lots of questions about it.

For starters, let me say that I think the album is absolutely incredible. In my opinion, it is some of the best music she ever recorded. Her voice is strong and does not have that irritating warble that she displayed in many of her solo recordings. The songs are also quite good, especially "Can't Take It No More," "Don't Ever Take Your Love From Me," and her bluesy take on BB King's classic "The Thrill is Gone." Really, really good music. Martha at her best.

The CD version I purchased says the material is believed to have been recorded and released around 1975, but then states it probably did not get out until 1982 when it was issued through a label called Phonorama.

Now to my questions: Was Martha signed to a label when she recorded these tracks? Who produced them? Was the material truly intended for an album to have been called "Rainbow," or is that title something that fans came up with? Was the material ever actually released prior to showing up on K-Tel and various cheapy labels in the 80's and beyond? Why didn't Martha even mention this material or this album in her autobiography?

This is just all very confusing. Please, Martha fans, shed some light...
    Last edited by mistercarter2u; 03-15-2018 at 08:25 AM.