[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Motown Music on American Bandstand!

Starting things off, The Temptations with "I Can't Get Next to You!" 1969

American Bandstand 1967 - Top 10 - The Happening, The Supremes!

American Bandstand 1966 -Spotlight Dance- Don’t Mess With Bill, The Marvelettes!

American Bandstand 1964 - Baby Don’t You Do It, Marvin Gaye!

American Bandstand 1965 - Baby I Need Your Loving, The Four Tops!

Great stuff Marv!! I was always thought the Happening was a challenge to dance to but some of those kids got it!

American Bandstand 1964 - Can You Do It by the Contours!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Great stuff Marv!! I was always thought the Happening was a challenge to dance to but some of those kids got it!
    Thanks Luke. These clips brings back a lot of really good memories for me. Now imagine a 4, 5 and 9 year old standing in front of the TV watching the big kids dance and trying to do the same thing! LOL! Music was very enjoyable back in the day.

The clips from 1964 were from when the show was still in Philadelphia.

What can I say: most of those kids couldn’t find a beat if it slapped them upside their heads lol.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    What can I say: most of those kids couldn’t find a beat if it slapped them upside their heads lol.
    Heck, most of them are in their 70s now! LOL!!!!!

Brenda Holloway "I'll Always Love You" - 1965!

I Heard It Through The Grapevine, Gladys Knight & The Pips - 1967

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 2140
Size:  21.1 KB
    I'm truly glad to find that Dick Clark proclaimed that Brenda had the most fantastic singing voice that he had ever heard. That's something on the plus side for him, considering there was a lot about him that I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post

Only having discovered this song in the 90's, I tried to imagine the dance kids would have been doing to this beat and I figured it would have been the "Jerk". It looks like I guessed right. I love the beat on this tune. Tough enough to drive a truck.

I had not listened to this song much back in the day, however, revisiting it this morning through this YouTube video brings up something rather interesting to this music nerd. This song uses the same instrumental phrase over and over AND it does it wonderfully. I was trying to recall other Motown songs that use the same pattern over and over, and I can't really think of any. [[The closest I came to was "Love is Like an Itching"...which we know eventually resolves itself). Immediately, as many of the Motown fans can do, I was able to discern that it was a H-D-H production.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    I had not listened to this song much back in the day, however, revisiting it this morning through this YouTube video brings up something rather interesting to this music nerd. This song uses the same instrumental phrase over and over AND it does it wonderfully. I was trying to recall other Motown songs that use the same pattern over and over, and I can't really think of any. [[The closest I came to was "Love is Like an Itching"...which we know eventually resolves itself). Immediately, as many of the Motown fans can do, I was able to discern that it was a H-D-H production.
    Ha, ha! I noticed the same thing about this song. It what I call a "Bulldozer Song" because it makes me think of this big, heavy bulldozer that just rolls on and on and on, mowing down everything in its tracks. I once hooked up my speakers a certain way and was able to get a fairly clean instrumental from the stereo recording and then the song gets very interesting.

There is a part before the 2nd verse [[1:08) where the music plays a bit before Marvin starts singing. The guitar chording changes just a bit before he gets to the "Girl l I tried to do my best" part. When I listened to the instrumental I had made, I found you could easily have started the 2nd verse a bar earlier and still ended up finishing the whole stanza before the "breakdown" part where it's just the drums, handclaps and bongos. This probably sounds nuts but it's just something that always has tickled me about this song and the way it's structured with its repeating non-stop pattern.

I was trying to recall other Motown songs that use the same pattern over and over, and I can't really think of any. [[The closest I came to was "Love is Like an Itching"...which we know eventually resolves itself). Immediately, as many of the Motown fans can do, I was able to discern that it was a H-D-H production.
    Stevie Wonder's "Uptight" is another Motown song that is basically one repeating riff over and over. The Supreme's "I Hear A Symphony" is another. The use of ascending key changes is what gives that song a simultaneous resolution and razor's edge of ever-increasing excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Stevie Wonder's "Uptight" is another Motown song that is basically one repeating riff over and over. The Supreme's "I Hear A Symphony" is another. The use of ascending key changes is what gives that song a simultaneous resolution and razor's edge of ever-increasing excitement.
    Interesting about bringing up "I Hear a Symphony" with its continuous musical riff over and over. It's one of those songs where I, myself, would find it difficult to remember all of the lyrics because all of the phrases sound alike [[with the except of the key changes). The background voices constantly singing "I hear a symphony, ooo, baby, baby) wouldn't add to the cue me in as to what verse I was on. Great catch, WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance.

Interesting about bringing up "I Hear a Symphony" with its continuous musical riff over and over. It's one of those songs where I, myself, would find it difficult to remember all of the lyrics because all of the phrases sound alike [[with the except of the key changes). The background voices constantly singing "I hear a symphony, ooo, baby, baby) wouldn't add to the cue me in as to what verse I was on. Great catch, WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance.
    I know EXACTLY what you mean about getting lost on this song and I've had the same thought. If I had to sing that song, there is no real benchmark to figure out where you're supposed to be. I actually just thought of a couple other H-D-H songs where a singer could easily lose his or her place: Chris Clark's "It Must Be Love" and The Elgins' "Darling Baby." "Those are two more "Bulldozer" songs that give the singer absolutely no indication of where you're supposed to be if you happen to forget a lyric. I often wondered if Saundra Mallet found it hard to sing "Darling Baby" live. Like you said, the lyrics and phrases are all very interchangeable.

American Bandstand 1967 - April Fool! - Bernadette, The Four Tops

American Bandstand 1969 - I Was Made To Love Her, Stevie Wonder

It Takes Two, Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston

Airdate: Feb. 11, 1967

1969 – Spotlight Dance – Angie Girl, Stevie Wonder

Airdate: Sept. 13, 1969

..."I Hear a Symphony" ... difficult to remember all of the lyrics because all of the phrases sound alike.
    When I saw the gals in March of '67, Diane actually lost her place in the lyrics of "I Hear A Symphony," and kept going around and around the same chorus until she eventually just threw up her arms and wailed "SYYYYYM-PHONY." Flo and Mary followed suit to finally end the song, but the band was stumped and sort of just trailed off. I suspect hardly anyone else in the audience even noticed this. It was then that I realized I wouldn't be able to sing that song through from beginning to end without having it playing at the same time. Very tough lyrics.

Am I correct in remembering In and Out of Love being used as that year's song for the Bandstand dance contest? If so, it is surprising since In and Out of Love is not really a great dance song. One wonders if money passed under the table to the decision makers at Bandstand??
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 06-27-2018 at 01:19 PM.

Seeing these clips from American Bandstand surely brought back found memories. I still remember the Saturday afternoon back in '64 when I first heard The Supremes' "Where Did Our Love Go" on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    And yet another song from Hitsville's Heyday that used one repeating riff is Stevie Wonder's "I Was Made To Love Her". Producer Henry Cosby's recollection of the song [[from the notes off TCMS-67) is that the song was "just four bars" and "we played those four bars over & over" [[even stating that "this was the beginning of Disco").

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    And yet another song from Hitsville's Heyday that used one repeating riff is Stevie Wonder's "I Was Made To Love Her". Producer Henry Cosby's recollection of the song [[from the notes off TCMS-67) is that the song was "just four bars" and "we played those four bars over & over" [[even stating that "this was the beginning of Disco").

That was bit of a stretch with Hank saying that it was the beginning of Disco. hehehehehehe!

That was bit of a stretch with Hank saying that it was the beginning of Disco. hehehehehehe!
    A BIG stretch indeed [LOL]!

1969 – Spotlight Dance – Angie Girl, Stevie Wonder

Airdate: Sept. 13, 1969

Very interesting that Bandstand would pick Stevie Wonder's "Angie Girl" [[the b-side of "For Once In My Life") for a spotlight dance [[it's a good call though).

Marvin Gaye - Too Busy Thinking About My Baby 1969

The Jackson 5 - I Want You Back - January 1970

Fun, nostalgic videos! Another "bulldozer" track from Motown was Martha Reeves & The Vandellas' "Show Me The Way". The same two chords over and over from beginning to end, yet thanks to Martha's and the girls' vocals, not one dull moment throughout!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 04-10-2019 at 10:31 PM.

Gladys Knight & the Pips -The Nitty Gritty -1969

And the performance that went before that interview. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qcuRIvQnxo

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpmoves View Post
    And the performance that went before that interview. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qcuRIvQnxo
    Not sure who styled Martha's hair here, nor who selected their 'unique' gowns, but, other than that, great performance, Sharpmoves. It's the first time I've seen The Vandellas' choreography with "My Baby Loves Me". As always, it was spot on! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Not sure who styled Martha's hair here, nor who selected their 'unique' gowns, but, other than that, great performance, Sharpmoves. It's the first time I've seen The Vandellas' choreography with "My Baby Loves Me". As always, it was spot on! Thanks for sharing.
    Oh come on! That's quintessential mid-60s hair! I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Oh come on! That's quintessential mid-60s hair! I loved it.
    Fine, thanxal! We'll get you a wig just like it! Then you, too, can look "quintessential"!!! HaHa!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpmoves View Post
    Thank you Sharpmoves!

I love the Vandellas choreography especially at the beginning ...so cool! Are there any Vandellas actually singing on the recording ? Great stuff Marv!

I love the Vandellas choreography especially at the beginning ...so cool! Are there any Vandellas actually singing on the recording ? Great stuff Marv!
    Martha sang that song, didn't she?! Amazing how good they were.

I love the Vandellas choreography especially at the beginning ...so cool! Are there any Vandellas actually singing on the recording ?
    No, Luke, the only Vandella on that record is Martha. Back-up vocals were performed by The Andantes and the Four Tops.

Thanks PMG. I guess I should have said other than Martha!
    Last edited by luke; 05-26-2019 at 07:02 PM.

Thanks PMG
    Welcome, Luke!

Cheating, I know, as this isn't from American Bandstand, but it is superb, and there definately are ONLY Vandellas in the background - it's really live! Not lip-synch. And the band is jazz....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ4MsXcAA9s

Wow! Impressive performance, Sharpmoves! The girls' vocal delivery couldn't be better! [[I'm wondering why they were in street clothes for the Mike Douglas show. If memory serves, they were usually in gowns for their other Mike Douglas performances.)