[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Wow! Impressive performance, Sharpmoves! The girls' vocal delivery couldn't be better! [[I'm wondering why they were in street clothes for the Mike Douglas show. If memory serves, they were usually in gowns for their other Mike Douglas performances.)
    They were in street clothes for their SOUL APPEAL/ TAKING MY LOVE [[AND LEAVING ME) appearance as well.

Sorry, I accidently duplicated my post.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 05-28-2019 at 04:59 PM.

Thanks, Reese! I love that! And Martha looked especially attractive in this performance! In her facial close-ups, I don't think I've ever seen her look prettier than she does here.

I very much remember this appearance as it aired right after my birthday that year:

From July 10, 1976.....The Supremes "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking"!

The Miracles and "Love Machine" from 1976:

Friendship Train, Gladys Knight & the Pips

From November 8, 1969!

Kim Weston. I don't know why the cut the song off

You know, Marv, in all these years [[other than the Motortown Revue Vol. 2 album in which Kim Weston introduces The Andantes live on stage with her before performing "Just Loving You"), I've never seen/heard her talk. That was a treat! Who knows why the original poster didn't include "A Thrill A Moment" in this video. I would have loved to see her perform [[lip sync) it. [[With all due respect, what was with the Elvis Presley-like sneer? Did Kim always do that)

You know, Marv, in all these years [[other than the Motortown Revue Vol. 2 album in which Kim Weston introduces The Andantes live on stage with her before performing "Just Loving You"), I've never seen/heard her talk. That was a treat! Who knows why the original poster didn't include "A Thrill A Moment" in this video. I would have loved to see her perform [[lip sync) it. [[With all due respect, what was with the Elvis Presley-like sneer? Did Kim always do that)
    You're kidding. Kim would talk you ear off in person LOL!!! Most of the Motown women are talkers.

Regarding the "sneer" that's nothing. I am sure she didn't even realize she was doing that. A very nice lady.

American Bandstand 1968 – Chained, Marvin GayeOctober 15, 1968

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    American Bandstand 1968 – Chained, Marvin GayeOctober 15, 1968

Great one, Marv! Marvin's "Chained" and "You" are two of my favorites from his late-'70s Motown repertoire. Although the former was produced by Frank Wilson and the latter by Ivy Jo Hunter, "Chained" always sounded like a Norman Whitfield production to me, and "You" sounded like H-D-H. Either way, great stuff!

Great one, Marv! Marvin's "Chained" and "You" are two of my favorites from his late-'70s Motown repertoire. Although the former was produced by Frank Wilson and the latter by Ivy Jo Hunter, "Chained" always sounded like a Norman Whitfield production to me, and "You" sounded like H-D-H. Either way, great stuff!
    Both were just REAL cool records. What I'd give to feel like that about music today.

I know you mean late-'60s Gary, just thought I'd let you know , and I too love both songs!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I know you mean late-'60s Gary, just thought I'd let you know , and I too love both songs!
    You caught me again, Tom! At least, this time, it was just a typo! Ha! Mid-to-late '60s -- my favorite era for Marvin! Thanks, Buddy!

You caught me again, Tom! At least, this time, it was just a typo! Ha! Mid-to-late '60s -- my favorite era for Marvin! Thanks, Buddy!
    Here is a thread we had exactly on that period of Marvin's career:

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...rvin+Gaye+1966

December 30, 1967

December 30, 1967

I love those old black&white Bandstand videos, Marv! You're probably too young to remember, but my fondest memories of watching Bandstand was in the early '60s when they were still broadcasting in Philly. I can still see Darlene Love in an early-summer '63 episode lip-syncing "[[Today I Met) The Boy I'm Gonna Marry" and, in August '63, the introduction of the very first performance of The Ronettes lip-syncing "Be My Baby". Those were the days!

I love those old black&white Bandstand videos, Marv! You're probably too young to remember, but my fondest memories of watching Bandstand was in the early '60s when they were still broadcasting in Philly. I can still see Darlene Love in an early-summer '63 episode lip-syncing "[[Today I Met) The Boy I'm Gonna Marry" and, in August '63, the introduction of the very first performance of The Ronettes lip-syncing "Be My Baby". Those were the days!
    Thank you for saying that Gary, but yes I remember watching Bandstand from Philly also. It came on during the week and of course I remember watching it during the time of this last clip. We watched in black and white because we had not gotten a color TV yet. They began broadcasting in color in late 1967.

It was in daily for awhile. Loved it!! Remember rate a record??

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I use to catch my train right in front of the old Bandstand studio in Philly at 69th and Market to go into CC.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Yeah, Luke, I loved the "Rate-A-Record" segment -- "It's got a good beat and you can dance to it!"

Yeah, Luke, I loved the "Rate-A-Record" segment -- "It's got a good beat and you can dance to it!"
    Did they ever say anything else? LOL! Kids were still kids then.

Did they ever say anything else? LOL! Kids were still kids then.
    That was the popular answer of the day!

Brenda on Bandstand in 1964:

American Bandstand August 17,1968 – Spotlight Dance - Jimmy Mack, Martha and the Vandellas:

American Bandstand 1976- Interview Johnny Bristol

Spotlight Dance - It Takes Two, Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston. Airdate: January 7, 1967

American Bandstand 1976- Interview Johnny Bristol

Thanks for posting that, Marv! Johhny Bristol was such a nice guy. I met him during my tour of Motown's Donovan Building back in October 1971. He was in the middle of mixing the Vocal version of Jr. Walker's "Way Back Home", and yet he took the time to talk with me. I thought that was really cool of him.

Thanks for posting that, Marv! Johhny Bristol was such a nice guy. I met him during my tour of Motown's Donovan Building back in October 1971. He was in the middle of mixing the Vocal version of Jr. Walker's "Way Back Home", and yet he took the time to talk with me. I thought that was really cool of him.
    You're welcome Gary.

I never got the chance to meet Johnny,but he was a real stand up guy from everything I've heard.

American Bandstand 1967 – SPOTLIGHT DANCE – My Girl, The Temptations

Airdate: Sept. 9, 1967

When the Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes, The Supremes: Airdate: January 11, 1964