[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "He's My Man"

"He's My Man"

Did Mary and Scherrie record complete leads for "He's My Man"? If so are they still in the vaults and has anyone heard them?

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Did Mary and Scherrie record complete leads for "He's My Man"? If so are they still in the vaults and has anyone heard them?
    I don't know. I've have only heard Scherrie do the complete lead years afterwards with the FLOS.

I think I remember hearing at least Mary did. Not sure about Scherrie

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I think I remember hearing at least Mary did. Not sure about Scherrie
    Either one would have been great in my opinion.

It’s really mostly a Mary lead. Scherrie only leads on the chorus and the ending. Mary sound ok but this isn’t her strong suit and so I think the song would have done better w Scherrie either on more or on all

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Well, I do not have any knowledge, but if they did and were of quality, I would assume they would have appeared on the box set LET YOURSELF GO. Other tracks with different ladies leading were featured in that release.
    Last edited by longtimefan; 03-14-2018 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    It’s really mostly a Mary lead. Scherrie only leads on the chorus and the ending. Mary sound ok but this isn’t her strong suit and so I think the song would have done better w Scherrie either on more or on all
    I totally agree. Mary's vocals are merely okay. Nothing more, nothing less, but when Scherrie comes in the song really bursts into life. I would love to have had her do all the lead vocals on this. Sadly i don't think such a version exists. I think the song could have broke bigger with a stronger lead vocal, but alas it wasn't to be.

Without Mary's part, the song would have been your typical run of mill R&B Dance song that was around the airwaves in 1975. Her sexy voice just grabs the ear like it did on "Floy Joy". I wished they had released it a few months earlier at the beginning of summer that year. It would have gained on people I believe.

I think Mary's smokey vocals add some to the track and I think if ALL three girls had some sort of lead presence, it would have been even better. and it would have helped revitalize the group and doing something different

Mary taking the first part of the verse, which is in the lower register, works. but she doesn't have the vocal gymnastics to really add the power the track needed.

And frankly the lyrics are silly and so I think the song never was really destined for masterpiece or mega hit status. it's just not good enough of a song.

I think in order for the song to work as a sole Mary lead it would need to be reworked. The verses build up to the chorus. If the song had kept a straight forward melody without a "big" build up, I actually think not only would the song have worked better for Mary but that it would've sounded like a better song period. Mary's voice was built for songs about "my man", oozing the sensuality that made her voice so ear catching. As the song was released, I think it probably worked better with Scherrie singing the whole thing if she could tone down her belting during the verses.

I think Mary's smokey vocals add some to the track and I think if ALL three girls had some sort of lead presence, it would have been even better. and it would have helped revitalize the group and doing something different

Mary taking the first part of the verse, which is in the lower register, works. but she doesn't have the vocal gymnastics to really add the power the track needed.

And frankly the lyrics are silly and so I think the song never was really destined for masterpiece or mega hit status. it's just not good enough of a song.
    If you really listen to that song, that record, there really was nothing wrong with it. Sometimes we get too caught up in chart placings to appreciate good music on it's own merits. There have been many songs I've heard and loved over the years that did not go high on the charts. Still it was high quality music.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    If you really listen to that song, that record, there really was nothing wrong with it. Sometimes we get too caught up in chart placings to appreciate good music on it's own merits. There have been many songs I've heard and loved over the years that did not go high on the charts. Still it was high quality music.
    oh I completely agree. I think there are a lot of Sup and Diana material that falls into this. some amazing tracks that were either overlooked and left in vault, buried on an album and never a single, or a single that got lost.

IMO He's My Man has an amazing spark in terms of production and backing track. but I just find the lyrics a bit corny. certainly not as bad as Momma cooking bread and dropping dead into her pot of jam lolol.

I do agree with Ran's comment about Mary's perfect fit for a sensual song, be it ballad or dance. that's why I do think she sounds great opening he's my man. it's just needs more vocal gymnastics and bang to accompany the backing track bang.

oh I completely agree. I think there are a lot of Sup and Diana material that falls into this. some amazing tracks that were either overlooked and left in vault, buried on an album and never a single, or a single that got lost.

IMO He's My Man has an amazing spark in terms of production and backing track. but I just find the lyrics a bit corny. certainly not as bad as Momma cooking bread and dropping dead into her pot of jam lolol.

I do agree with Ran's comment about Mary's perfect fit for a sensual song, be it ballad or dance. that's why I do think she sounds great opening he's my man. it's just needs more vocal gymnastics and bang to accompany the backing track bang.
    That song had snap, crackle and pop! LOL! It fit radio formats perfectly in the mid-70s, it just did not get a great amount of airplay. I heard it on the radio, but not very often. Another song that was great, but not released as a single was "Wait A Minute Before You Leave Me" from the "Right On" album. I have not listen to any of these songs or albums in many years, but I do remember how they sounded and how I enjoyed them when they were new and afterwards.

We have to find the clip of the Supremes doing "He's My Man" on the U.K. program "Supersonic" from Fall of 1975. I know it still exists because they have issued DVD compilations of some of their old shows.

We have to find the clip of the Supremes doing "He's My Man" on the U.K. program "Supersonic" from Fall of 1975. I know it still exists because they have issued DVD compilations of some of their old shows.
    would LOVE to see this! I think unfortunately another problem with HMM is their live rendition of it. Sadly I think their act wasn't being structured properly for this type of music. Those giant "Scarlet O'Hara" gowns they wore on the Tonight Show could hardly be any less effective at showing off their complex and sexy choreography.

And I didn't think the "fighting over the man" ploy ever came across right. they'd be acting like "step off girl - he's my man. I'll cut you!" lolol

And I think Cindy should have had more of a role in the song

would LOVE to see this! I think unfortunately another problem with HMM is their live rendition of it. Sadly I think their act wasn't being structured properly for this type of music. Those giant "Scarlet O'Hara" gowns they wore on the Tonight Show could hardly be any less effective at showing off their complex and sexy choreography.

And I didn't think the "fighting over the man" ploy ever came across right. they'd be acting like "step off girl - he's my man. I'll cut you!" lolol

And I think Cindy should have had more of a role in the song
    Although we were teenagers when this song came out, my brother laughed recently when he saw the clip of them in street clothes on the Dinah Show. He said at the time he didn't realize these were VERY grown women, even somewhat matronly looking at that particular moment. LOL!!!

Without Mary's part, the song would have been your typical run of mill R&B Dance song that was around the airwaves in 1975. Her sexy voice just grabs the ear like it did on "Floy Joy". I wished they had released it a few months earlier at the beginning of summer that year. It would have gained on people I believe.
    Get real, Mary's vocal sank this great disco track. Just as she did on This Is Why I Believe In You, Scherrie Payne blows Mary off the record. A full Scherrie lead on He's My Man might have been a hit. Scherrie was intended to sing Early Morning Love but Pedro and Mary were bucking for more Mary leads which Motown wasn't interested in.

I also with we could have gotten more Scherrie leads on ballads. pity we didn't really ever get to hear her do these with the Sups

I also with we could have gotten more Scherrie leads on ballads. pity we didn't really ever get to hear her do these with the Sups
    She did some nice ballads on the "Partners" lp.

On one of their tv appearances Cindy sang a bit of a solo on He’s My Man. Love Marys sultry and sexy voice on this. Gave it distinction.

On one of their tv appearances Cindy sang a bit of a solo on He’s My Man. Love Marys sultry and sexy voice on this. Gave it distinction.
    Once I heard Mary's voice, I knew it was the Supremes. The appearance I believe you're thinking of Luke was from the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

Mary is just teriffic here. Amazing how confident she got in such a short time . https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NuZmmLsZl9A

Mary is just terriffic here. Amazing how confident she got in such a short time . https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NuZmmLsZl9A
    Oh how I remember. The Dinah Show came on in the afternoons after school that's how we got see all the music acts that appeared on the show. Mary's daughter Turkessa probably appeared on my TV shows in the 70s than any other baby! LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Get real, Mary's vocal sank this great disco track. Just as she did on This Is Why I Believe In You, Scherrie Payne blows Mary off the record. A full Scherrie lead on He's My Man might have been a hit. Scherrie was intended to sing Early Morning Love but Pedro and Mary were bucking for more Mary leads which Motown wasn't interested in.
    I have to agree. Mary's voice was just too ordinary. Scherrie could have killed this. Early Morning Love would also have worked much better with Scherrie on lead. A less biased Manager than Pedro would have surely insisted that Scherrie be the lead singer on most tracks, leaving Mary to do the ballads. It could all have turned out so much better had common sense prevailed rather than pandering to Mary's ego.

That song had snap, crackle and pop! LOL! It fit radio formats perfectly in the mid-70s, it just did not get a great amount of airplay. I heard it on the radio, but not very often. Another song that was great, but not released as a single was "Wait A Minute Before You Leave Me" from the "Right On" album. I have not listen to any of these songs or albums in many years, but I do remember how they sounded and how I enjoyed them when they were new and afterwards.
    when Right On first cane out, I was trying to decide what the next singles would be. I assumed there would be two more because of the strength of tracks, it would be a snap to get two more hits off it - or 3 or 4. Everything on side 1 sounded radio friendly to me, but my money was on Wait A Minute because the chorus was superb and the fade, ideal for radio. The only thing holding it back was the opening - it doesn’t exactly grab you, but after 30 seconds, it’s perfect on out. I also assumed Then We Can Try Again would be a consideration. My third pick was EGTRTL - but I loved that also because it’s of Of Jeans best vocals: nuanced, precise, soulful, restrained and loaded with technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I have to agree. Mary's voice was just too ordinary. Scherrie could have killed this. Early Morning Love would also have worked much better with Scherrie on lead. A less biased Manager than Pedro would have surely insisted that Scherrie be the lead singer on most tracks, leaving Mary to do the ballads. It could all have turned out so much better had common sense prevailed rather than pandering to Mary's ego.
    ‘I couldn’t agree more. Every time I play it, the hushed softness Of Marys vocal following the intriguing intro, is a step backward. Mary didn’t have the chops for these vocals and should never have been on any of the singles with Jean either. She does a good job on them, but her voice isn’t right. Wife beater Pedro was obviously not the voice of reason anyway, so his pushing Mary to do things she did not do well, truly hurt the group. They should have fashioned a beautiful ballad for her on each album so she could shine.

Mary's strength was definitely ballads, and I've said time and time again that sending her into disco mode for her solo career was a horrible move. However, I think Mary killed "Early Morning Love". She showed a vocal gusto that I don't think she ever did on lead the previous 15 years of her time with the group. Usually a slow vocalist, I think she keeps up very well with the fast pace of the song. Would Scherrie have done a better job? Debatable.

I seem to remember Mary stating in "Supreme Faith" that she recorded the full track, and then they decided to add Scherrie. IMO the track works as it is, and I think a full Scherrie lead would have done just as well on the charts. While I think Mary does better vocals on "Floy Joy", the trade off between Mary and Scherrie is much smoother than Mary and Jean. Finally, the lyrics are a bit generic, but it is a good dance track, which I think was the intention at the time.

Mary can definitely sing a fast song, but, I think in an effort to keep the harsh side if her voice at a minimum, they had her sing in a hushed mode which didn’t work well for radio and kept the lyric from punching out. Oddly, those same vocals worked beautifully live - just not for radio. The one time they used her more real voice on a single was Touch, and that was a hot mess for all concerned and a career killer for Frank and JMC. Like it or not, her voice wasn’t suited for top 40, but I think she could definitely had hits with material well suited for her unique sound. I think Don’t Let My Teardrops could have gone all the way, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Mary's strength was definitely ballads, and I've said time and time again that sending her into disco mode for her solo career was a horrible move. However, I think Mary killed "Early Morning Love". She showed a vocal gusto that I don't think she ever did on lead the previous 15 years of her time with the group. Usually a slow vocalist, I think she keeps up very well with the fast pace of the song. Would Scherrie have done a better job? Debatable.
    Mary did a good job on lead with the songs she was given. As for He's My Man I feel the duet work very well the way it's structured. Sometime Scherrie can murder a song right from the start which can be over - kill imo. The reason I started the thread is because I was wondering what Mary would sound like doing the entire song. Scherrie has really toned it down vocally in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Mary can definitely sing a fast song, but, I think in an effort to keep the harsh side if her voice at a minimum, they had her sing in a hushed mode which didn’t work well for radio and kept the lyric from punching out. Oddly, those same vocals worked beautifully live - just not for radio. The one time they used her more real voice on a single was Touch, and that was a hot mess for all concerned and a career killer for Frank and JMC. Like it or not, her voice wasn’t suited for top 40, but I think she could definitely had hits with material well suited for her unique sound. I think Don’t Let My Teardrops could have gone all the way, for example.
    Touch is a lovely song but it was never going to become a major hit single. The vocal interplay between Mary and Jean was really good, and as an album track it was quite splendid , but i agree that it killed JMC and Frank. There were far better choices to follow Nathan Jones that could have kept the group from going into an early decline. I also agree that Don;t let my teardrops bother you and even You are the heart of me were perfect for Mary and could both have been hit singles had things been planned out better, but getting back on topic Mary's vocals were not strong enough for He's my man. Scherrie doing the whole song could well have turned it into a major comeback hit for the girls. Such a lost opportunity.

Mary is just teriffic here. Amazing how confident she got in such a short time . https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NuZmmLsZl9A

HAHA scherrie is mary’s Height in that clip. She must be wearing some solid heels!!

Quote Originally Posted by imakicola View Post
    HAHA scherrie is mary’s Height in that clip. She must be wearing some solid heels!!
    I remember one appearance on Soul Train where Susaye Greene was almost as tall as Mary Wilson! Ironically, Mary was the shortest in the original Supremes.

Touch is a lovely song but it was never going to become a major hit single. The vocal interplay between Mary and Jean was really good, and as an album track it was quite splendid , but i agree that it killed JMC and Frank. There were far better choices to follow Nathan Jones that could have kept the group from going into an early decline. I also agree that Don;t let my teardrops bother you and even You are the heart of me were perfect for Mary and could both have been hit singles had things been planned out better, but getting back on topic Mary's vocals were not strong enough for He's my man. Scherrie doing the whole song could well have turned it into a major comeback hit for the girls. Such a lost opportunity.
    I know a lot of people love Touch, but I’m not one of them. While I find the sentiment a good one, the lyrics to me are uninspired and lack romanticism. The opening line literally makes me cringe and I find Jean’s vocal too jarring mixed with Mary’s sexy voice and wrong for the mood. I don’t see another single on the album, so I might have gone straight to Floy Joy if it was ready and moved on.

I agree Ree with you about He’s My Nan as acScherrie only lead. It’s a great track and sounded great in clubs as did It’s All Been Said Before. Scherries powerful voice cut through the noise of the crowd and seemed well suited for dance music. How I wish that Mary had not fallen out with Berry. Those awful TV appearances would not have happened. They needed a trained, stylish visionary to helm those all important appearances. I’ve always felt a few of the Jean shows and most of the post Jean shows did more harm than good.

I know a lot of people love Touch, but I’m not one of them. While I find the sentiment a good one, the lyrics to me are uninspired and lack romanticism. The opening line literally makes me cringe and I find Jean’s vocal too jarring mixed with Mary’s sexy voice and wrong for the mood. I don’t see another single on the album, so I might have gone straight to Floy Joy if it was ready and moved on.

I agree Ree with you about He’s My Nan as acScherrie only lead. It’s a great track and sounded great in clubs as did It’s All Been Said Before. Scherries powerful voice cut through the noise of the crowd and seemed well suited for dance music. How I wish that Mary had not fallen out with Berry. Those awful TV appearances would not have happened. They needed a trained, stylish visionary to helm those all important appearances. I’ve always felt a few of the Jean shows and most of the post Jean shows did more harm than good.
    They had Geoffrey Holder and Carmen de Lavallade working with them at that time. You could not get anymore trained, stylish or experience professionals than those two! I thought they were great during this period and "He's My Man" was great. Mary could sing with any of the Supremes and sound great! I like "Color My World Blue" and "Early Morning Love" much better than "It's All Been Said Before" which was boring and just kept plowing ahead with no hooks or changes in the music.

I totally agree about the tv appearances. I cringe when i see some of them now. There was precious little chemistry or co-ordination. If these performances were the best they could do it is little wonder they sank like a stone. They sounded great on record, but those tv appearances signed their death warrant.

I totally agree bluebrock... 100 percent. I do like marys voice but she is better on ballads

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I totally agree bluebrock... 100 percent. I do like marys voice but she is better on ballads
    Not to me. Mary can sing anything.

Touch was more fit for Love Unlimited than the Supremes. I don't know what they were thinking when they decided to record this... it was not, as I would call, it a "true Supremes song".

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Mary's great in ballads, jazz and rock material, I think.
    When it comes to pop and R&B though, I feel her voice in those years anyway [[not later) were too airy for her style. It worked with Floy Joy because of the way Smokey produced it.

I think it has to do with who produces you though. If someone can produce a great song with someone with a vocal style like Mary's, which I feel was real jazzy, then that shows not only Mary's talent but the producer's but if the producer falls flat, then that's on him.

That's how I feel about later Supremes' material... they did seem to get the swagger back when they did High Energy...

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Touch was more fit for Love Unlimited than the Supremes. I don't know what they were thinking when they decided to record this... it was not, as I would call, it a "true Supremes song".
    It was better than most Supremes "bubblegum" type songs. It was a sexy grown up love song sung by grown women to grown men! LOL!

I'm just saying, if they wanted to do a grown-up song like that, they should find a song that they could sink their teeth into. I feel Jean Terrell, being a Jehovah's Witness and all, was really uncomfortable with singing a song like that [[same with Michael Jackson recording the song two years later and he was a MINOR singing it at the time!). That's all I'm saying lol

"Touch" was horrible in my opinion and I am not sure it would have worked with any Supreme. It is the one song that I played once and never played again. "He's My Man" should have been all Scherrie and they would of had a hit. "Early Morning Love" was okay as an album filler, but seriously if you are talking early morning love shouldn't it have been slower and more sultry ?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I can hear Love Unlimited singing this, but had never previously given it consideration. I reckon you are right midnightman. Despite this i still love the Supremes version as an album track, but not as a single.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    "Touch" was horrible in my opinion and I am not sure it would have worked with any Supreme. It is the one song that I played once and never played again. "He's My Man" should have been all Scherrie and they would of had a hit. "Early Morning Love" was okay as an album filler, but seriously if you are talking early morning love shouldn't it have been slower and more sultry ?
    EML was a decent song, and was the UK follow up to "he's my man" where it promptly sank like a stone, but i agree it could and should have been much better had Scherrie handled the lead vocal. Same with "he's my man". They were both perfect for Scherrie who must have so frustrated at seeing Mary handed these songs when she knewshe could have done them so much better. I still think a Scherrie led "he's my man" could have become a decent size pop hit on both sides of the pond. Such a wasted opportunity.

I liked Touch, but I don't like it as a duet per say even though they both sing it well . I think if Marys did the entire lead it would have worked better or if Mary did it as a duet with one of the Four Tops. I would like a remix, not sure if Kevin Reeves will ever get his chance at this song as it seems so long into the future but maybe if we get a 70s Rare classic/Lost and Found.

Not to me. Mary can sing anything.
    I like Marys voice but I like her better on Can We Love Again and You Are The Heart Of Me , where she seems to really excel vocally. I think she ok on HMM but not great. in the pop charts you need that sound , that voice that cuts through and grabs your attention. Scherrie had that voice.

I think I like He's My Man just as it is. I find Mary's voice well suited for the song and it's sensual timbre grabs you whereas Scherrie's louder vocals punctuate it just when necessary like Susaye's ad libs did in I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking. My thoughts are on the follow up single, Where Do I Go From Here, in which Scherrie is ok on but this group had the best harmony since the original grouping yet the harmony seems sloppy and off key. I always felt either Early Morning Love, It's All Been Said Before, Color My World Blue would have been better follow ups. Or I would have released Bend A Little. Thinking of a pop and dance hook, though, He's My Man was just fine as I think the vocals were. To me, Mary's smoky sensual sound catches your ear as much as the leads [[Diana, Jean & Scherrie) and all of their voices are not perfect-I have friends who feel Diana's voice is too thin and nasal, Jean is way too nasal and grating and Scherrie was too loud but they all stand out just as Mary's voice and Susaye's voice did. Everyone's voice is not everyone's cup of tea. I think Mary was the right choice for He's My Man more so than Scherrie because it her voice would have been good as a dance track, it might not have made the song stand out at all but the vocal interplay was just right.
    Last edited by jim aka jtigre99; 03-18-2018 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    "Touch" was not horrible. I still think it was a great record. It was a very soulful, sensual song. No it wasn't "Baby Love" but after a while you just don't want to keep hearing the same sounding bubble gum shit like that. "He's My Man" was perfect the way it was recorded and produced with Mary Wilson out front at the beginning. "Early Morning Love" was great too. It was another song about grown up sensuality and love. It was time for the 30 something Supremes to be singing these type of adult oriented songs.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    I think I like He's My Man just as it is. I find Mary's voice well suited for the song and it's sensual timbre grabs you whereas Scherrie's louder vocals punctuate it just when necessary like Susaye's ad libs did in I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking. My thoughts are on the follow up single, Where Do I Go From Here, in which Scherrie is ok on but this group had the best harmony since the original grouping yet the harmony seems sloppy and off key. I always felt either Early Morning Love, It's All Been Said Before, Color My World Blue would have been better follow ups. Or I would have released Bend A Little. Thinking of a pop and dance hook, though, He's My Man was just fine as I think the vocals were. To me, Mary's smoky sensual sound catches your ear as much as the leads [[Diana, Jean & Scherrie) and all of their voices are not perfect-I have friends who feel Diana's voice is too thin and nasal, Jean is way too nasal and grating and Scherrie was too loud but they all stand out just as Mary's voice and Susaye's voice did. Everyone's voice is not everyone's cup of tea. I think Mary was the right choice for He's My Man more so than Scherrie because it her voice would have been good as a dance track, it might not have made the song stand out at all but the vocal interplay was just right.
    I agree except I would have voted for "Early Morning Love" as the follow up single, then "Color My World Blue". If you consider the lyrics to the three songs which would include "He's My Man" releasing them in that order would make logical sense.