[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: "He's My Man"

Bend A Little was a great track , I Don't know how that was left off the lp.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Bend A Little was a great track , I Don't know how that was left off the lp.
    Me neither. It was up there with the very best from those sessions, yet dire dross like "where is it i belong" made the final cut. Shocking decision.

"Touch" is my favourite Supremes song. Out of all their tracks, DRATS included, it's the one I play most often - by some margin. There again "Ask The Lonely" and "Do What You Gotta Do" are my fave Tops tracks.

I think the fact that Mary led off the vocals to "He's My Man," and the fact that it was the first cut on a long-awaited, really, "comeback" album, was to send a message that this was no longer a lead singer with two others in the background, but a real group for the first time in a long while. I love the song, and I think Mary's vocal intro dovetails nicely into Scherrie's belting of the latter verse and chorus.

I may have a special fondness for the album as it was the first Supremes album I ever bought new [[meaning not as an oldie). Of course, I knew who Diane Ross was, and I knew Jean Terrell had replaced her, but I didn't know anything about Scherrie Payne or when she had replaced Jean. In spite of their lack of hits, I think except for the last lineup with Susaye coming on board, the Mary-Scherrie-Cindy trio was really the most cohesive as a group and contained the most overall vocal talent. Sure, no one had Diane's charisma or unique vocal ability which gave the group its original identity, but if you compare the Supremes '75 to other groups of their time, I think they excel. It's only when you compare them to earlier incarnations of the group that they may seem to be lacking, but again, it certainly wasn't a lack of talent by any means.
    Last edited by kenneth; 03-22-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    but if you compare the Supremes '75 to other groups of their time, I think they excel. It's only when you compare them to earlier incarnations of the group that they may seem to be lacking, but again, it certainly wasn't a lack of talent by any means.
    Definitely not a lack of talent, but I think they fail miserably when compared to the Three Degrees, the Pointer Sisters and the Emotions from the same period. I was tempted to put Love Unlimited in that category, but LU would get an edge simply because I feel like the songs they recorded were better. If only Barry White had been allowed to handle Supremes 75...

As good as the Pointer Sisters and the Emotions?

Well... the Supremes were at their vocal peak during their later years [[especially with SUSAYE! Love her) but uh...

The Pointer and Hutchinson sisters still would've wipe the floor with them [[and that says a lot because Scherrie is a great singer). Plus, they had the producers to take them higher [[Rubinson for the Pointers and Maurice White for the Emotions). Not to mention Labelle lol

The Supremes in the 1970s were the most successful female group in the World with 8 Top 40 hits! All others were working hard to catch up. The Three Degrees only had one number hit in their extremely long career. They were good, as were the Pointers, Emotions, High Inergy, Stargard, Love Unlimited. etc,etc None would reach the level of the Supremes in the 60s or 70s!

Compare this, one of the Emotions most popular records in the 70s when they were at their all time peak:

To this Supremes album track recorded in the same period as the Emotions song above. To me it sounds just as good if not better and it never got a single release and ZERO promotion:

I agree. when it comes to fast-paced, rapid fire 3 part harmony, other groups beat the Sups. that singing requires amazing precision. you must be absolutely perfect. and you also have to have near identical vocal pitch, tone and vibrato. with the Pointer Sisters and Sister Sledge being related, it actually helps. they share vocal qualities that help with this

the Sups could also do 3 part harmony but a different style. It's not "I'm So Excited" or "Best of My Love." but rather Falling In Love With Love, Fancy Passes, Stoned Love. just a totally different style

Also by the time scherrie joined, mary and pedro were dictating the show and creative efforts focus on her. their style was quite out of date, song selection was antiquated and the overall impression is that they were just not as polished as they should have been. I've read in a couple books that Mary isn't always known for having a work-aholic attitude or approach, where she's going to practice until it's absolutely PERFECT.

Whatever direction they were getting at this time was simply not on the mark. and seems that they just weren't perfecting things as they used to

I love the videos shot for High Energy but they're incredibly sloppy. the girls don't know the full lyrics and lp versions of the songs [[they were used to singing the live, shorter versions). and their choreography is a mess. half the time Susaye keeps looking over to M and S to see what they're doing. And some of the camera angles aren't the best or they miss some of the key shots by using the wrong angle. the choreography to these songs is very complex but if done perfectly and in sync, it would be amazing. very impactful. but it has to be perfect in order to work

Then look at the DRATS choreography to I Get A Kick, Fats Waller Medley, Sam You Made the Pants Too Long or any of the TCB work. all three girls are flawless

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I agree. when it comes to fast-paced, rapid fire 3 part harmony, other groups beat the Sups. that singing requires amazing precision. you must be absolutely perfect. and you also have to have near identical vocal pitch, tone and vibrato. with the Pointer Sisters and Sister Sledge being related, it actually helps. they share vocal qualities that help with this

the Sups could also do 3 part harmony but a different style. It's not "I'm So Excited" or "Best of My Love." but rather Falling In Love With Love, Fancy Passes, Stoned Love. just a totally different style

Also by the time scherrie joined, mary and pedro were dictating the show and creative efforts focus on her. their style was quite out of date, song selection was antiquated and the overall impression is that they were just not as polished as they should have been. I've read in a couple books that Mary isn't always known for having a work-aholic attitude or approach, where she's going to practice until it's absolutely PERFECT.

Whatever direction they were getting at this time was simply not on the mark. and seems that they just weren't perfecting things as they used to

I love the videos shot for High Energy but they're incredibly sloppy. the girls don't know the full lyrics and lp versions of the songs [[they were used to singing the live, shorter versions). and their choreography is a mess. half the time Susaye keeps looking over to M and S to see what they're doing. And some of the camera angles aren't the best or they miss some of the key shots by using the wrong angle. the choreography to these songs is very complex but if done perfectly and in sync, it would be amazing. very impactful. but it has to be perfect in order to work

Then look at the DRATS choreography to I Get A Kick, Fats Waller Medley, Sam You Made the Pants Too Long or any of the TCB work. all three girls are flawless
    FYI , Mary Wilson makes over 110 appearances a year. How much more does she have to do? LOL!!!!

Even this version sounds as good or better than anything any of those other female groups mentioned has done:

Regarding the Pointers, 3 Degrees, and Emotions...

Was this when the Pointers were still wearing vintage costumes in their act? I think I saw them around that time. I know their most lucrative years were still ahead of them. They were talented but something about their sound never appealed to me that much.

I do like the Emotions, but I like their early Stax material better than the stuff they did during the disco area. It was a little too slick to my liking.

I also like the early 3 Degrees, especially their Roulette period. They were hugely talented in my opinion. I wasn't that fond of their disco stuff, such as "Dirty Old Man," again it was just a little too slick.

But to each his own. Actually, I had forgotten about those groups when I wrote my post. I guess we didn't realize how much talent abounded back then.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    As good as the Pointer Sisters and the Emotions?

Well... the Supremes were at their vocal peak during their later years [[especially with SUSAYE! Love her) but uh...

The Pointer and Hutchinson sisters still would've wipe the floor with them [[and that says a lot because Scherrie is a great singer). Plus, they had the producers to take them higher [[Rubinson for the Pointers and Maurice White for the Emotions). Not to mention Labelle lol
    The fact is they did not wipe the floor with the Supremes. When the 70s ended and the charts for that decade were close, it was the Supremes that came out as the top charting female group for the decade. They would have had many more number ones had Motown and Mr. Gordy had not decide to "wash his hands of the GD group!"!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    FYI , Mary Wilson makes over 110 appearances a year. How much more does she have to do? LOL!!!!
    it's not that she's not working. a few sources have stated she's not always the most diligent for rehearsals. that sometimes her shows are held together by band-aids and spit. of course I've never worked with her so I don't personally know.

But there's a definite change in their onstage work by the mid 70s. it's not that any of the people couldn't dance or perform. and during the 60s mary was ALWAYS perfect in their choreography. many many clips of her during the Scherrie years are sloppy. she's off in choreography. And the other girls seem unsure too.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Even this version sounds as good or better than anything any of those other female groups mentioned has done:

in the studio, MSS and MSC were very strong. but the proof of the pudding is often in the live performances. Pointer Sisters live are as strong as they are on record. The supremes were amazing on vinyl, not so much live

it's not that she's not working. a few sources have stated she's not always the most diligent for rehearsals. that sometimes her shows are held together by band-aids and spit. of course I've never worked with her so I don't personally know.

But there's a definite change in their onstage work by the mid 70s. it's not that any of the people couldn't dance or perform. and during the 60s mary was ALWAYS perfect in their choreography. many many clips of her during the Scherrie years are sloppy. she's off in choreography. And the other girls seem unsure too.
    Was Cholly Atkins still working with them in that late period? If not, then there's your answer...

I know he was working mainly with the O'Jays and the Pips at this point but it seemed he stopped working with the Motown acts at some point. Cholly was their choreographer during their '60s heyday with Diana and Flo.

Like I said, it depends on the producer. I agree, their three-part harmonies were ALWAYS on point. But, the way songs from the other female groups were produced, just overshadowed what the Supremes were bringing to the table. I know Supremes fans hate to hear that though.

Was Cholly Atkins still working with them in that late period? If not, then there's your answer...

I know he was working mainly with the O'Jays and the Pips at this point but it seemed he stopped working with the Motown acts at some point. Cholly was their choreographer during their '60s heyday with Diana and Flo.
    I don't believe he was after Jean. there are photos of MJL working with him. But the little bit of details Mary provides in Sup Faith makes it sound like other choreographers were handling them. Like when MSC redid the show to include the Dream segment and all. Mr Holder was working with them and someone else

Like I said, it depends on the producer. I agree, their three-part harmonies were ALWAYS on point. But, the way songs from the other female groups were produced, just overshadowed what the Supremes were bringing to the table. I know Supremes fans hate to hear that though.

now I would say that the vocals on MS&S stand up to pretty much any other vocal work at the time. HE is a bit more hit or miss IMO.

with MS&S the vocals on Let Yourself Go are perfect. very powerful 3-part harmony. Sweet Dream Machine is excellent. We Should Be Closer - WOW!!! what a great use of Susaye's harmonies. Heart of Me, Driving Wheel also excellent. the blend seems weakest on Love I Never Knew. it's not bad but not as 100% in synce and smooth

HE has great moments. the vocals on IGLMHDTW are perfect. But the vocal to the title track are flat!!!!!!! how the F did they get released that way? I've never heard 3 singers sing so off pitch while holding the note of "Hiiiiiiiiiigh, High Energyyyyyyyyyyy" Ever time I hear them singing this I wish I was in the studio to swat them on the tummy and scream "will you support the note!!! sing from your diaphragm and keep on pitch!" lolol

That was some kind of off the cuff comment what's his name, Tony Turner made in one of his books almost 30 years ago. I have seen and witnessed Mary's rehearsals, sound checks etc. She is very serious about her craft. She's even taken acting lessons in her 70s!