[REMOVE ADS]

Jean Led Supremes Tracks

I am making a personal playlist. I am wondering if there are any "alternate" versions of the following tracks on any CD? ...or where are the "best" versions? I know excellent versions are on the THIS IS THE STORY box set, but I am wondering if any other "better"/ alternate versions have ever appeared elsewhere.

FLOY JOY
    I GUESS I'LL MISS THE MAN
    YOUR WONDERFUL SWEET SWEET LOVE
    EVERYBODY'S GOT THE RIGHT TO LOVE

Thanks!

with Floy Joy there are a few versions, based on edits. all have the same vocal takes but here are a few differences:

70s Anthology - slightly extended version
    Box set - this is the unedited version with an added instrumental passage
    lp version
    GR&RC - this is an edited version of the extended version found on the 70s Anthology
    also check youtube for a live version on Merv Griffin

Everybody's Got The Right
    *LP version
    *70s Anthology - a different mix of the LP version, not radically different
    *alternate version on GH&RC - this is a different lead by jean
    *multiple live versions can be found on youtube including Glen Campbell, Live at Carter Barron, Live in Central Park, Live at Valley Forge [[the lasts is the MJL lineup whereas the other lives are MJC)

I Guess I'll Miss The Man
    *all of the recorded versions are the same I believe.
    *live version on Soul Train

Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love
    *again all recorded versions are the same
    *live version on Flip Wilson, also on youtube with the Live at Valley Forge show

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    with Floy Joy there are a few versions, based on edits. all have the same vocal takes but here are a few differences:

*LP version
    *multiple live versions can be found on youtube including Glen Campbell, Live at Carter Barron, Live in Central Park, Live at Valley Forge [[the lasts is the MJL lineup whereas the other lives are MJC)
    I would also add that the Greatest Hits and Rare Classics version, along with that different lead by Jean, features different background vocals as well. I find that version a bit more exciting than the released and wish it had been the one included on the LP.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I would also add that the Greatest Hits and Rare Classics version, along with that different lead by Jean, features different background vocals as well. I find that version a bit more exciting than the released and wish it had been the one included on the LP.
    I always use the GH&RC version when making my own Jean-era mix.

I wish Mary and Lynda had additional vocals on the studio version of "I Guess I'll Miss The Man" like they did on Soul Train. That song never makes it onto any of my playlists.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    You’re right! Forgot about that

I remember reading somewhere [[perhaps here) that there are still quite a few unreleased versions of this song. And the the producers felt afterwards that they could have done more w it and made it a bigger hit. according to the liner notes from various sets, this song was recorded just prior to Right On being released. wonder if everyone thought it was a winner concept but then just didn't have enough time to really make it as powerful as it could be.

if i were producing it, i'd make it a little faster, add some more rise and fall to give it more dynamics and fluctuation, and have M and C take some of the lead lines like they did in the live version
    Last edited by sup_fan; 03-12-2018 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
    I always use the GH&RC version when making my own Jean-era mix.

I wish Mary and Lynda had additional vocals on the studio version of "I Guess I'll Miss The Man" like they did on Soul Train. That song never makes it onto any of my playlists.
    i have a copy of their full show at the Apollo in Dec 72 and they do this as their latest single. They actually repeat the instrumental break and the ooo's to make it a longer song and to provide more 3 part singing.

I wish the Soul Train version could be cleaned up and released as a bonus track somewhere. It sounds so much better with all the added background vocals.

70s Anthology - slightly extended version
    Box set - this is the unedited version with an added instrumental passage
    lp version
    GR&RC - this is an edited version of the extended version found on the 70s Anthology
    also check youtube for a live version on Merv Griffin

*LP version

I Guess I'll Miss The Man
    *all of the recorded versions are the same I believe.
    *live version on Soul Train

Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love
    *again all recorded versions are the same
    *live version on Flip Wilson, also on youtube with the Live at Valley Forge show
    Wow sup fan, I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to give me all of this information!!! This is what’s best about SDF. Cheers!

More than welcome 😊

I’ve tried to keep my iTunes up to date w the different versions and labeling the tracks.

The 70's Anthology mix is a mono mix and it was first on the Greatest Hits and Rare Classics cassette only. The alternate Jean vocal on the GH&RC CD is also a mono mix. Both were considered as the single mix and yes there are a few other unreleased mixes. If you're looking for the actual released mono single mix it was first used in the mid 90's on the new Anthology series [[Best Of) and is also on The Complete Motown Singles 1970.

i have a copy of their full show at the Apollo in Dec 72 and they do this as their latest single. They actually repeat the instrumental break and the ooo's to make it a longer song and to provide more 3 part singing.
    Sounds like a really nice version. Also heartening to know there are still live recordings out there that I haven't heard yet.

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    The 70's Anthology mix is a mono mix and it was first on the Greatest Hits and Rare Classics cassette only. The alternate Jean vocal on the GH&RC CD is also a mono mix. Both were considered as the single mix and yes there are a few other unreleased mixes. If you're looking for the actual released mono single mix it was first used in the mid 90's on the new Anthology series [[Best Of) and is also on The Complete Motown Singles 1970.
    thanks George! you know I'm still waiting for you to do a discography review of the 70s sups material like you did with all of Diana's albums [[sup and solo) in Randy's last bio. hint hint hint lol

I also remember your fascinating stories about the GH&RC ups and downs. about "sneaking" the unreleased materials out and all

Are the unreleased mixes of Everybody all that drastically different from the released versions? frankly I've just never been a fan of this one - it's muddy, plods along, just sort of blah. and after the amazing Ladder too!! for the life of me I can't believe people would have thought "ok - that's probably the best we can do with this. it's perfect now so release it" lolol

frankly I would have released a single edit of Loving Country

There was a version of "Everybody Got the Right to Love" that Hal Jackson use to always play on his "Sunday Morning Classics" on WBLS in New York that was different from any I've ever heard. It had a fast beat and was very upbeat sounding.

Faster than the one released!?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Faster than the one released!?
    Yeah. It sounded faster and the rhythm track seemed louder, along with the background.

Never tire of Jean's amazing vocal, been playing the 'This is the Story' a lot the last few weeks, and one track touches me so much and is always in my head 'But I Love You More' Jean and the Supreme's at their Best!

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Never tire of Jean's amazing vocal, been playing the 'This is the Story' a lot the last few weeks, and one track touches me so much and is always in my head 'But I Love You More' Jean and the Supreme's at their Best!
    Amazing is the right word to describe Jean Terrell's singing.

There was another mono single mix of Everybody's Got The Right that I really liked. It combined both of Jean's vocals. First verse was the alternate vocal, second verse switched to the released vocal, quick switch back to the alternate on bridge then right back for the rest of the song. It also had the back up vocals, guitar and organ more up front. Lots of different opinions on this song. I remember as a kid, when I heard the first 5 seconds of the song on the album, I said, "this is the next single." It had such a radio friendly intro. I just wish they had released one of the other mono mixes. Yes, it was a late edition to the album. The original line-up included: "The Day Between Sunday And Monday," "Stepped On A Dream," and "Life Beats," in place of "Everybody's Got The Right," "Baby Baby," and "Bill When Are You Coming Back."

I loved Jean's "I Had To Fall In Love" album as well. It flopped, but definitely did not deserve to do so. I recall one review said the album was "too white sounding," which I thought was absolutely ludicrous. Good music is good music, period. Every track on that album was good, as were the few tracks that were left off of the album and came out later on a Bobby Martin comp album. Jean should have had some hits! Shame she did not promote herself more....

I recall reading that she was going to put out a jazz album a few years back, but nothing ever came of it. Wonder if the jazz album was recorded?

There was another mono single mix of Everybody's Got The Right that I really liked. It combined both of Jean's vocals. First verse was the alternate vocal, second verse switched to the released vocal, quick switch back to the alternate on bridge then right back for the rest of the song. It also had the back up vocals, guitar and organ more up front. Lots of different opinions on this song. I remember as a kid, when I heard the first 5 seconds of the song on the album, I said, "this is the next single." It had such a radio friendly intro. I just wish they had released one of the other mono mixes. Yes, it was a late edition to the album. The original line-up included: "The Day Between Sunday And Monday," "Stepped On A Dream," and "Life Beats," in place of "Everybody's Got The Right," "Baby Baby," and "Bill When Are You Coming Back."
    The one you describe may be the one that radio legend Hal Jackson use to play on his Sunday Afternoon oldies show. There would always be the canned intro by Mary Wilson in her sexiest voice saying "Oh Hal I love you......" then he would announce, and here are the "Supremeskis"....... then play this great version of "Everybody's Got the Right to Love". It must have been his favorite song by them because it was the one he played every week for years.

wow! great info George!

When did the girls record Mind Body and Soul? is that a JMC track or Jean and andantes? I had thought it might have fit better from a thematic point of view into NWBLS rather than Na Na

I'm guessing that after Ladder really took off, they redid the lp to more heavily feature frank Wilson work since both Baby Baby and Everybody's were his productions.

There was another mono single mix of Everybody's Got The Right that I really liked. It combined both of Jean's vocals. First verse was the alternate vocal, second verse switched to the released vocal, quick switch back to the alternate on bridge then right back for the rest of the song. It also had the back up vocals, guitar and organ more up front. Lots of different opinions on this song. I remember as a kid, when I heard the first 5 seconds of the song on the album, I said, "this is the next single."
    Where can we find this, George? And, THANKS!

wow! great info George!

When did the girls record Mind Body and Soul? is that a JMC track or Jean and andantes? I had thought it might have fit better from a thematic point of view into NWBLS rather than Na Na

I'm guessing that after Ladder really took off, they redid the lp to more heavily feature frank Wilson work since both Baby Baby and Everybody's were his productions.
    It doesn’t sound like Mary or Cindy or even the andantes.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    I love this one too, and also Loving Country which surely could have been a sizeable hit. Right On is a little gem of an album in my opinion. Had that album being released in the 80's or 90's they could have got 4 or 5 hits off that album. There was just too much material coming out in too short space of a time.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercarter2u View Post
    I loved Jean's "I Had To Fall In Love" album as well. It flopped, but definitely did not deserve to do so. I recall one review said the album was "too white sounding," which I thought was absolutely ludicrous. Good music is good music, period. Every track on that album was good, as were the few tracks that were left off of the album and came out later on a Bobby Martin comp album. Jean should have had some hits! Shame she did not promote herself more....

I recall reading that she was going to put out a jazz album a few years back, but nothing ever came of it. Wonder if the jazz album was recorded?
    It is one of those albums that you can play all the way through. No weak tracks. Just a solid consistent set that sounds as good now as it did back in the day.