[REMOVE ADS]

Largest CD Album collection in the universe?

I was reading Heikki's posting on Thom Bell and saw mention about Johnny Mathis's recently released 68 CD collection issued this past December. This is absolutely amazing to see such a huge collection issued. Cost is roughly $350. I only looked this up on Amazon as a possible gift for a relative.

Has anyone else ever seen a CD collection this massive? Wonder how many CDs it would take for putting some of the Motown artists in one collection. Do you think they would exceed 68 CD's?

Absolutely unheard of in my opinion.

Yup. It just may be the largest in the world! I think the previous one was Sony's Soundtrack of a Decade box with 36 CDs.

Yes indeed Bill, a 68 CD collection is utter madness!! Takes the idea of a "box set" to the extreme!!!!!

But if you are megafan, what a treat it would be.

The previous one was
    Elvis Presley: The RCA Album Collection 60 CD + Book Deluxe Box SetName:  2196.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  42.8 KB

There are no artist today that will ever amass that huge body of work!

How many CDs would it take to put all of "Don't Forget the Motor City" on the collection?

I could easily see an ~80 CD Ella Fitzgerald boxed set, largely because that's how many non-repetitive discs it has taken me to collect everything she did, EXCLUDING compilations.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I could easily see an ~80 CD Ella Fitzgerald boxed set, largely because that's how many non-repetitive discs it has taken me to collect everything she did, EXCLUDING compilations.
    I don't know who would look through all of them just to hear a particular favorite song. For a collection by one artist that big, I would stick with streaming with I-tunes or some other service.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Her album collection would be different. You might remember the song you're looking for from a specific album, but an 80 CD collection might be too much.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I don't know who would look through all of them just to hear a particular favorite song. For a collection by one artist that big, I would stick with streaming with I-tunes or some other service.
    Those sorts of collections are for completists and collectors. Most people are perfectly fine with Spotify or Apple Music to find a song. But if Universal were to produce such a set, it would easily run to 80 discs if you included just her Decca, Verve, and Pablo albums.

And it could have been even bigger. In 1963 Mathis left Columbia for Mercury Records, the lucrative contract offered him artistic control and ownership of his masters. Mathis recorded eleven albums for Mercury [[one of which was not released at the time). In 1967 Mathis returned to Columbia were he has remained since.

For whatever reason the Mercury recordings, often referred to as the Global Masters, were not to be included in the 68 disc set “The Voice of Romance: The Columbia Original Album Collection”. Instead they were released via Sony [[in 2014) in a 13 disc set “The Complete Global Albums” which included the eleven albums and two discs of singles and unreleased material.