[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Diana wrote another book which she decided to pull but I think it will see the light of day. Also I get the impression from those that knew Diana back in the 50's and the 60's will tell you she was not going to take a beat down without you leaving with some marks or you knowing she was there. Honestly, I don't think there was ever any physical fights with Flo and Diana especially when Flo said there weren't.

If memory serves me right Mary first try at her book was sent back because it was not hot enough.
    Its interesting to me that Mary's descriptions of Diana's physical altercations [[or almost physical) are of a young woman who wasn't afraid to throw hands. Yet Patti Labelle describes a scared punk, shaking in her boots over an outfit. And Martha Reeves describes a scary girl running to the phone to call Mr. Gordy. Something aint adding up. Diana just don't seem to me like the type who was scared of too many people.

Anybody else question the validity of Bettye Lavette's claim that Sharon Holland beat Diana up in a ballroom full of people? Why was this the first we've heard of it? Why is every other account of Diana and Sharon, including Mary's, is that there was a confrontation and soon after Diana left that woman's husband alone, but nothing about an actual fight?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    1) I do believe Flo May have attacked Diana physically and, sadly, if true, is grounds for dismissal right there. She was taking speed to lose weight and it can make you nuts.
    But that's one of the reasons I used to back up my opinion that there never was a fight because it surely would have been grounds for dismissal and at no time was this ever mentioned as a reason for firing Florence. No doubt Flo threatened to put her foot up Diana's ass [[and some other folks asses too) but I just don't believe it ever happened.

Milven is absolutely right.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Flo was taking speed?! WOW...

Motown really didn't take care of their artists, did they?
    At that time "speed" was any number of drugs that were prescribed for weight loss. Women all over the country were taken them and they were viewed as harmless. No one at Motown would've thought anything of Florence's use of them. I suspect many of the women at Motown probably used them. Women then, as now, had to deal with so much regarding body image. Its a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Thank you Tom for putting me in my place! I don't know what I was thinking. In my naivete I just assumed that if you make a claim you should be able to back it up. Marv has definitely taught me that this is unnecessary at best, and downright disrespectful to be asked of it, at worst. I now know better.

Btw, Mary Wilson was in Elvis' bathroom when his body was found. When questioned by police she claimed that she thought it was Tom Jones' bathroom. To keep her name out of the papers, she slept with the cops. Today she refuses to answer questions regarding the whole thing and completely omitted the entire episode from both of her books.
    AH! Finally some sense out of you RanRan! None of that "evidence" or "back up your claims" nonsense. Phew. I have to say your constant desire for "facts" and the so-called "truth", whatever that is, was becoming particularly grating.

And of course if you want the real story, which I couldn't even possibly begin to tell you here, I, as the unborn foetus friend, saw it all first hand. And, as unlikely as it may seem, I was actually there on the night of Elvis' death as you describe. I tell you RanRan most people wouldn't believe what went down that night. It was like an episode of Fargo. But real.

Btw, Mary Wilson was in Elvis' bathroom when his body was found. When questioned by police she claimed that she thought it was Tom Jones' bathroom. To keep her name out of the papers, she slept with the cops. Today she refuses to answer questions regarding the whole thing and completely omitted the entire episode from both of her books.
    No she wasn't . Elvis died in August 1977, Mary was winding up her tour of South America with Cindy Birdsong and Debbie Sharpe. Then they all went back to Los Angeles.

LOL
    you guys are nuts....
    my only point is whats the point of mentioning something that no one else knows if you cant tell where you heard that information. Flo said it didn't happen so the only other person who would know for sure would be Diana. Unless of course it happen on the corner of Woodward where everyone passing by that day saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    No she wasn't . Elvis died in August 1977, Mary was winding up her tour of South America with Cindy Birdsong and Debbie Sharpe. Then they all went back to Los Angeles.
    Thanks for the info Marv

I love your sarcasm RanRan79, even if there are some do not get it

Thank you Tom for putting me in my place! I don't know what I was thinking. In my naivete I just assumed that if you make a claim you should be able to back it up. Marv has definitely taught me that this is unnecessary at best, and downright disrespectful to be asked of it, at worst. I now know better.

Ha ha. You guys are too much. I love the bantering between TomatoTom123 and yourself, but how dare either of you question Marv's version of the truth. How can you even dare to question the integrity of such a balanced and unbiased individual? You can quit the discussion. Marv is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Case closed. Amen to that!

People keep mentioning CINDY BIRDSONG’S version of events. When did Cindy ever really say anything ever about bitchiness of people!?!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    AH! Finally some sense out of you RanRan! None of that "evidence" or "back up your claims" nonsense. Phew. I have to say your constant desire for "facts" and the so-called "truth", whatever that is, was becoming particularly grating.

And of course if you want the real story, which I couldn't even possibly begin to tell you here, I, as the unborn foetus friend, saw it all first hand. And, as unlikely as it may seem, I was actually there on the night of Elvis' death as you describe. I tell you RanRan most people wouldn't believe what went down that night. It was like an episode of Fargo. But real.
    Oh I can believe it. Somebody told me- I can't say who told me out of respect for them- about all of things that went on that night. It was the same person who told me about Mary being there. There's so much more I could say about it but it would just upset too many people here.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Look, I'm just telling you what I know. Mary wasn't in no South America. I know what really went down and you can believe what you want. I've talked to people and none of them are liars.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    LOL
    you guys are nuts....
    my only point is whats the point of mentioning something that no one else knows if you cant tell where you heard that information. Flo said it didn't happen so the only other person who would know for sure would be Diana. Unless of course it happen on the corner of Woodward where everyone passing by that day saw it.
    Exactly. Which is a tell tale sign that the person spreading the information made it up. If you genuinely have respect for someone and don't wish to put their name on something they said, one would keep said information to him/herself.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I love your sarcasm RanRan79, even if there are some do not get it
    What is this sarcasm you speak of?

Oh I can believe it. Somebody told me- I can't say who told me out of respect for them- about all of things that went on that night. It was the same person who told me about Mary being there. There's so much more I could say about it but it would just upset too many people here.
    I completely understand RanRan. Sometimes I wish I cared about proving things to those who choose not to believe, but unfortunately for them, I don't. Much like you, I am all about the truth and if you don't believe me, well.........

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I remember pre-ordering Diana's book on Amazon, but it's release date was changed and then cancelled. Just my opinion, but I don't Diana was in a good place when it was decided to write this book. She had second thoughts about it after her health improved and decided not to go negative. The book was never released. Diana continued her successful career with concerts and receiving prestigious awards

As for Mary, as you said, she did not have enough dirt in her book, and it was sent back to her for revisions. When she went on TV shows to promote the book, naturally, the interviewers were only interested in what she said about Diana - things that probably were added to the book during the revision. But, in the interviews, Mary tried to put a good spin on it making excuses or giving reasons why Diana did or said something. It was kind of aggravating to watch these interviews because I figured as long as she wrote it, own it and discuss it in the same way that you did in the book.

But with the passage of time, I can see that Mary did not want to go negative on Diana and probably did it because of the publishers demands - and perhaps because of her financial situtation at the time.

And Diana has never gone negative on Mary except the follow-up interview with Barbara Walters after Mary's interview the night before.

So maybe there still is a bond between the two ladies, even though they now lead different lives and do not socialize with each other.

Maybe it is just us, the fans, who have the problem
    oh, please....Mary spent all this time dissing Ross, but then said stuff like, “but I love her - she’d my sister and you don’t always approve of everything they do - even if it rhymes with witch.” She knew exactly what was in the book and how it would be received and she played it perfectly. “Yes, Diane did stab the Lindbergh baby in the heart, but I’m not judging my sister, I’m just telling what happened. I don’t want people to think less of her.”

But that's one of the reasons I used to back up my opinion that there never was a fight because it surely would have been grounds for dismissal and at no time was this ever mentioned as a reason for firing Florence. No doubt Flo threatened to put her foot up Diana's ass [[and some other folks asses too) but I just don't believe it ever happened.
    i see your point, but I still think there was a physical issue - I don’t know of course, and believe me, I’ve tried to gingerly find out from both Mary and Cindy, but it’s too nosey and gossipy to outright ask - even for me! Flo was getting bigger and taking diet pills and that stuff effects your mood. Mix that with tension, exhaustion, anger and her other issues, it could happen - and even if it did, Flo was still too important to kick out. You don’t change a winning formula unless you absolutely have to. Ask Coke. I’ve heard that Diana was quite the Tom-boy Back In the day.......

I believe the Sharon Holland story also.

At that time "speed" was any number of drugs that were prescribed for weight loss. Women all over the country were taken them and they were viewed as harmless. No one at Motown would've thought anything of Florence's use of them. I suspect many of the women at Motown probably used them. Women then, as now, had to deal with so much regarding body image. Its a shame.
    very true....and Flo was in the world spotlight....... it might not have mattered as much if the gowns didn’t have to fit. Plus, people didn’t think of booze having calories back then - so it’s possible Flo was wondering where the fain was coming from.

priceless.

Look, I'm just telling you what I know. Mary wasn't in no South America. I know what really went down and you can believe what you want. I've talked to people and none of them are liars.
    South America? Oh please. It is common knowledge that after the Elvis incident Mary fled the USA to live in the Middle East. By 1978 she was an active player in the Iranian Revolution. It was thanks in part to her efforts as a revolutionary that 2,500 years of rule by the Persian monarchy came to an end. We all know this.

Now I could say more but for fear of further destabilising the politico-religious situation in the Middle East I have to stop. In fact I've probably said too much already. But this is all true and that's that! And don't even get me started about Diana and the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, quite frankly that's too much for an internet forum post.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    South America? Oh please. It is common knowledge that after the Elvis incident Mary fled the USA to live in the Middle East. By 1978 she was an active player in the Iranian Revolution. It was thanks in part to her efforts as a revolutionary that 2,500 years of rule by the Persian monarchy came to an end. We all know this.

Now I could say more but for fear of further destabilising the politico-religious situation in the Middle East I have to stop. In fact I've probably said too much already. But this is all true and that's that! And don't even get me started about Diana and the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, quite frankly that's too much for an internet forum post.
    No, no, no! You have it wrong. After Elvis died on the toilet at his house [[which Mary Wilson nor anyone else had anything to do with. He was hooked on drugs....) Mary was waiting to deliver her baby and begin putting together her solo act. She began auditioning back up singers in September 1977. By 1978 Mary was on tour in the U.K. and playing the London Palladium with Kaaren Ragland and Karen Jackson as her background singers. I was in college and all the cool Iranian students I had met and became friends with, had to leave and go home to Iran.

Mary did not start touring in the Middle East until late 1983 with Robin Alexander and Karen Jackson, along with Jerome Spearman and Duke Billingslea who were in her band at the time. They played Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Egypt etc,etc. So yes, you have your information all wrong when it comes to Mary Wilson and I don't mean just the dates!

hee hee hee

We know the truth about Mary. She was there. Somebody told me. Those are the facts.

Of course that rumor has been going around for years and years, but I’m still not 100% buying it as fact....I’m just glad that Mary didn’t OD with him. But what would she have been doing in Tennessee? He was about to go on tour - maybe he was auditioning bg singers.