[REMOVE ADS]

He's No Fool 'Cause He Went to School, He's a Gigolo Man, REAL Cool...

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Thank you for posting this. II love this song Mary Wells at her best Lynda Lawrence doing Bgs

I love this song. That track is hot. Should have been a mega hit for Mary Wells. Btw, I never knew Lynda Laurence was singing backup here. Learn something new everyday...

Epic didn't promote it enough.

I wished I read Mary's full book, maybe it said WHY it didn't become a mega hit for her?

It was pretty big on the Dance Charts...but that doesn't really sell records. Yea, Epic kinda dropped the ball like they did for most of the artists they signed around the same time[[like K.C. of the Sunshine Band fame.) the 45 of "Gigolo" did well down here, Mary came down & played the big dance clubs, you know singing to the tracks. She drew big crowds at the COPA in Key West, The COPA in Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa & Jacksonville.

I remember seeing a good bit of press for Mary around that time, with a nice article in BLACK STARS as well as a smaller feature in RIGHT ON! There was some good tv as well, with appearances on SHA NA NA, SOUL TRAIN, and AMERICA'S MUSIC: RHYTHM AND BLUES.

Why didn't Epic book Mary on American Bandstand???

Might've helped her more on the R&B charts and get more of a pop push?

People go on about a backlash but I think Mary was stuck with record labels that didn't further push her.

They treated her like a relic of golden times and they shouldn't have. Should've been a far bigger hit than it was!