[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes "A Bit of Liverpool"

Does anyone know if stereo version and the mono version different mixes of the album? I only have the stereo version.

I have had the mono LP, the 8 track tape and the 2 on 1 CD w/TCB....they all sound like exactly the same takes....both this LP and CW&P get a fair share of neg comments, but the harmony on some cuts is wonderful. I guess the cut that got the most exposure is "A Hard Days Night" because it was included on the Anthology set....A World Without Love is my fav. from this LP...I love Mary's lead on Because, and I like You Can't Do That, House of The Rising Sun, Do You Love Me? and Bits and Pieces. I was very excited to see You've Really Got A Hold On Me included, but I don't like the arrangement. How Do You Do It sounds like it was speeded up to be comical. [[very Mickey Mouse..and I Want To Hold Your Hand and Can't Buy Me Love also make me puke)
    There is a very good B&W video of the Supremes doing a nice 3 part lead of Eight Days A Week, and a rather dark one of them performing You Can't Do That on youtube. There is also one from another show of the girls doing I Feel Fine.
    Last edited by gman; 03-01-2018 at 12:46 AM.

Gman, I totally agree with your assessment. I never liked this album until I started listening to it again a couple years ago. I think Diane wails on "House of the Rising Sun" like she almost never has on any other song, and kills it. And I agree, "A World Without Love" is a beautiful 3-part harmony arrangement. It's funny how albums like this sound and affect us so differently at different times in our life. I always liked the "C&W" and "Sam Cooke" albums [[I had all 3 dubbed from vinyl onto one cassette tape and they make for good listening in sequence) but even those sound much better to me today than 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I have had the mono LP, the 8 track tape and the 2 on 1 CD w/TCB....they all sound like exactly the same takes....both this LP and CW&P get a fair share of neg comments, but the harmony on some cuts is wonderful. I guess the cut that got the most exposure is "A Hard Days Night" because it was included on the Anthology set....A World Without Love is my fav. from this LP...I love Mary's lead on Because, and I like You Can't Do That, House of The Rising Sun, Do You Love Me? and Bits and Pieces. I was very excited to see You've Really Got A Hold On Me included, but I don't like the arrangement. How Do You Do It sounds like it was speeded up to be comical. [[very Mickey Mouse..and I Want To Hold Your Hand and Can't Buy Me Love also make me puke)
    There is a very good B&W video of the Supremes doing a nice 3 part lead of Eight Days A Week, and a rather dark one of them performing You Can't Do That on youtube. There is also one from another show of the girls doing I Feel Fine.
    Thank you. I have the LP and the CD from 1986 and they both sound the same to me too.

If anything the channeling and separation may perhaps be a bit different, but every take seems to be the same. Early on, Motown supposedly sent the Mono issues out in droves first, and then had the engineers re-channel the tracks for stereo issues when studios weren't booked for new recording later. Supposedly some LPS took well over a year to appear in Stereo....I believe the Temptations Greatest Hits with the blue printed cover was used as a example of this in a earlier commentary.